Start by marking “2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)” as Want to Read:
2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)

2010: Odyssey Two

(Space Odyssey #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  47,707 ratings  ·  1,101 reviews
To the spaceship Discovery, floating in the silent depths of space since David Bowman passed through the alien 'Star Gate', comes Heywood Floyd on a mission of recovery. What he finds near Jupiter is beyond the imaginings of any mere human.
Published 1997 by Voyager (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about 2010, please sign up.
Caleb Jones 2010 does go into the life on Jupiter, but David Bowman (and the higher beings) determined that they were not intelligent and had no evolutionary…more2010 does go into the life on Jupiter, but David Bowman (and the higher beings) determined that they were not intelligent and had no evolutionary pathway that would take them towards intelligence so they "weeded".(less)

·  47,707 ratings  ·  1,101 reviews

Start your review of 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)
Apatt
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do.

Funny that this innocuous kiddies tune always reminds me of a homicidal supercomputer.

Arthur C. Clarke, in spite of being a sci-fi legend, is not known for his characterization, but HAL 9000 is one of the most memorable sci-fi characters ever, with his friend Dave Bowman not far behind.

With 2010: Odyssey Two, we are back to the future which is now the past. Some people will be put off from reading this book because it is set six years ago and nothing like
Jen
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I finished reading this I thought, man, I wish I didn't suck so badly at science, because being an astronomer would be SO FREAKING COOL.

But I do suck so badly at science, so I just get to read wonders like this and wish I was half as good a writer as Arthur C. Clarke, who gets to be really friggin' smart in TWO CAREERS, which is totally unfair.

There are several great things about this book. First, and one of the things that I love to read old sci-fi books for, is what Clarke in the
B Schrodinger
Space Baby's Big Day Out.

After the events in 2001 (Dave becoming a Space Baby, HAL being shut down while singing), the world is left in wonder about what happened out near Saturn..JUPITER! Sorry, Jupiter. Right? It was Jupiter all along.

Dr Floyd, the bureaucrat who ventured to the Moon to check out TMA-1 is back and now he looks like Roy Schneider (who I see died in 2008 :( ). The Russkis are headed out to check out what happened slightly quicker than what the U.S. can manage. Oh how times don't
Bea
'...And because, in all the Galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere. They became farmers in the field of stars; they sowed, and sometimes they reaped. And sometimes, dispassionately, they had to weed.'

Guys, I think I've found my new favourite series... ever? These books are SO GOOD. The amount of work and research put into them is incredible and both the first book and this one have completely blown my mind.

Proper review to come.
Henry Avila
The enigma of the Spaceship Discovery, lost in Jupiter's orbit ( the setting has been changed from Saturn in the original book, to match Kubrick's film).Arthur C. Clarke's sequel to 2001, has Dr. Heywood Floyd, again recruited on a joint U.S. and Soviet(written in 1982)expedition, to the giant planet.To find out what happened!The crew of the Soviet ship Leonov ,consists of seven Russians and three Americans,with both male and female members.Dr.Floyd,Dr. Chandra, builder of the malfunctioning ...more
Patrick
Wow! This was a very fun read! I loved it!
Vishal
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Knight
Boooooring. Having read the first book many years ago, one thing I remember with that story was just how dazzling and daring it felt. Much like the movie, certain images will forever be ingrained in my head. That Odyssey I loved journeying on. But this one, not so much. I mostly think it's all the characters, none of whom are interesting. Their voyage doesn't really seem all that harrowing in this story, and even if it was, I was so uninterested with the characters that I probably would have ...more
Jersy
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, read-2019
This book was really good concerning characters and their relationships. I loved reading their interactions and some of their personal issues.
However, for some reason, the actual plot didn't get me hooked. Maybe one aspect of it was that we spent too few time on aspects I was interested in (e.g. Hal) but the things we spent time on too often just couldn't hold my attention. The last third was much more interesting to me, but I couldn't really say for sure what my problem was before that.
I would
Kevin
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A slow moving plot, the last 50 or so pages we get some results and some 'action', so to speak. However, HAL 9000 doesn't turn renegade as in 2001, as the sentient AI has been handicapped after the events of the first novel. In fact, the book is quite boring as no one ends up being killed and nothing much seems to go wrong, and in effect it just speculative Sci-Fi about Alien intellegences (this time on one of Jupiters moon - Europa). But the plant/hybrid intellegence does destroy a Chinese ...more
RJ from the LBC
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
The movie sequel is not as good as the original, but in many ways I think this might be Clarke's most polished effort. He actually takes the time to think out a plot and characters, and it's interesting to see what happens following the events in the first book/movie.
Kimber
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended for fans of 2001: A Space Odyssey

"The Universe isn't just stranger than you ever imagined. The Universe is stranger than you CAN imagine."

This novel is a slow-build, a slowly revealed unraveling of cosmic triggers.

Clarke writes a narrative that doesn't just entertain--it informs, it elucidates and it expands the mind beyond its narrowly defined corridors. And that's the point.
Heidi
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sequel to 2001 was fine, but it wasn't nearly as good as 2001. Heywood Floyd and a couple of other Americans join the Russians on a trip to rescue the stranded spaceship Discovery and learn what happened to astronaut David Bowman, who disappeared at the end of 2001. They also want to probe the mystery of the black monolith, which is hanging in space around...Jupiter?

Yes, they end up at Jupiter, even though in the book 2001, the black monolith was sitting on one of Saturn's moons. And when
Andreas
This series started as a one-off book released in conjunction with the Stanley Kubrick movie of the same name. The series consists of:

* 2001: A Space Odyssey
* 2010: Odyssey Two. (Also made into a film)
* 2061 Odyssey Three
* 3001: The Final Odyssey

The first and second books are enthralling. 2061 is more of the same, and thus decent but somewhat pointless as part of the arc. 3001 is an attempt at closing up all the loose threads, and does so in a satisfying way.

For a long time, these books
Efka
A very slow book this Odyssey is, and it does not quite live up to it's predecessor, though I have to admit, that it starts good and ends in a very climactic and dramatic fashion, maybe even beating the first Odyssey's ending. The real problem is mid-book, which sometimes is plain boring. A decent book, some familiar characters making a comeback also is a nice bonus, but the writing at moment feels a bit chaotic and stretched out too much and without necessity. Overall, read it if you liked 2001 ...more
Tomislav
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
second read - 22 September 2010 - **** I re-read this because I had just re-read 2001 - and because it actually is the year 2010 now. Surprisingly, this is a sequel to the movie version of 2001, rather than the book version, which Clarke acknowledges in a forward to this edition. It is now part of Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey series:
2001: A Space Odyssey
2010: Odyssey Two
2061: Odyssey Three
3001: The Final Odyssey

Sometimes it's hard to remember that the original 2001 was actually written even
Rusty
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Stephen Baxters Proxima last week. And while it wasnt the best book ever written, it is the perfect type of book for me. And by that I mean that, for whatever reason, those type of novels do something to me, deep inside, that really resonates. Its why Ill always love that type of Science Fiction way more than I ever will Fantasy. Ive never found a Fantasy book, no matter how good, that can make me shut the book once its over, and go sit outside and stare at the stars.

Im inclined to sit
Bishnu Bhatta Buttowski
One of the best yet thought provoking lines in this book is "In all the Galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere. They became farmers in the fields of stars; they sowed, and sometimes they reaped. And sometimes, dispassionately, they had to weed. "

I enjoyed this book very much. This book tells the story about how intelligent life seem to foster the life on any planets or place, how would the civilization develop, what is the evolution trends
Oleksandr Zholud
This novel is the direct continuation of 2001: A Space Odyssey, and in difference between the book and the movie it surprisingly follows the later. The novel was nominated for Hugo Award in 1983.

The story starts were the previous book ends there is a unknown alien artifact on a moon of Jupiter and one human already assessed it, vanishing from our space-time. Now a new mission is sent there. The mission uses Soviet ship Leonov and a joint USSR-USA team to get to the earlier ship and to the
scrillla
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, sci-fi
2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke is another beautiful journey through the solar system filled with transformation and unexpected beginnings. 2010 is the 2nd in the Space Odyssey Saga and the sequel to 2001. I mention this because it's important that you've read 2001 in order to understand 2010.

Dr. Heywood Floyd, chairman of the National Council of Aeronautics, makes a reappearance and is the protagonist or main character for 2010. He has been chosen to be a part of a recovery mission of
Kath ❅
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this sequel way more than I thought I was going to. 2001 is such a staple of pop culture and most people have at least heard of the movie but I've never heard anyone talk about the sequels to the book. For me, the first book was slightly better. I liked the body of the story of the first book a bit more but I liked the last few chapters of this book and the ending more than I liked the ending of the last book.I also liked that in this book the cast of characters was bigger.
Hope
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: just about anyone
I have mixed feelings about this book. Given that title, it should be a sequel to the novel 2001: A Space Odyssey, but it's not. It's more a semi-sequel to the movie of the same name. Where the novel and the book differ, 2010 follows the movie, expect where it changes things to make this novel more consistent. Since it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, I'm not aware of what those differences are.

Clark's writing continues to be quite beautiful. He has the rare combination of being
Sandy
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-books
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here."

I've always liked Arthur C. Clarke's imagination. Way ahead his time and quite shocking. Wouldn't say I loved this as much as I loved 2001. I personally think Dr. Floyd needed to be left alone on this but I get it. It's a continuation after Hal went rogue & Frank went MIA (at least that's what earthlings thought).

Slower than 2001 but full of new plots and advancements. Few mind blowing passages
Tuan Ho
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I really can't think of anyone who can match Arthur C. Clarke in his ability to instill a sense of timeless wonder and awe that just makes your mind orgasm with joy!

Clarke's writing is just beautiful to read. He makes you understand all the technical stuff, but does it in the most poetic way imagineable.

The last few chapters and the epilogue reminded me of why I love Arthur C. Clarke. Just brilliant!
David
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Just as exciting, speculative, brilliant, and delightfully creepy as the first. I hope the third and fourth books continue to be as good as the first two!
Agnes
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another sf perfection ...
Lanko
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Overall disappointing considering the first masterpiece.

Gone is the sense of wonder, mystery and excitement. The first half of the book was pretty dry and slow and honestly I don't remember much of it. The second half was slightly better mainly because we find HAL-9000 again and what the heck happened with him.

I think Clarke tried to put some characterization for his astronauts, but it didn't work, specially when most of it was to tell us who, why and how characters acted, thought and believed.
Jamila
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely another higher ranked 3.5! By some happy accident i decided to read the introductory author's note, which i for some reason very rarely bother to do (i think maybe i don't want the author to say anything that will influence how i go into the story). But it is lucky i did because for some reason Clarke decided this book was to be a sequel to the movie, not the first book???? I'm not sure... who would watch the movie and decide to read the second book without reading the first book but ...more
Ravindu Gamage
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's get the gripes out of the way.

The setting of this sequel has been changed to match the setting of the film and it bothered me throughout the book. While I understand why it might have been done, I'd have preferred if Clarke stayed true to his first book rather than trying to write a sequel to the movie.

As I said in my review of 2001, I found the lack of character development refreshing. Clarke was more focused on the science rather than the characters. In this book, I found that not to
Lindsay
Hugo & Nebula Awa...: challenge mechanism not working 3 9 Dec 05, 2018 07:02AM
UCAS English 10 H...: 2010: odyssey two 1 2 Feb 15, 2018 05:36PM

• Contact
  • Second Foundation (Foundation #3)
  • Foundation and Empire (Foundation #2)
  • Foundation's Edge (Foundation #4)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • Foundation and Earth (Foundation #5)
  • Forward the Foundation (Foundation: Prequel #2)
  • The Naked Sun (Robot #2)
  • Foundation (Foundation, #1)
  • The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld, #2)
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot #1)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • The Robots of Dawn (Robot #3)
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • I, Robot (Robot, #0.1)
  • The Gods Themselves
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)
  • Solaris
Arthur Charles Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of

Space Odyssey (4 books)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)