Start by marking “Prepared For Rage” as Want to Read:
Prepared For Rage

Prepared For Rage (Coast Guard #2)

A nail-biting, straight-from-the-headlines thriller of international suspense from Edgar Award winner and New York Times bestselling author

A terrorist filled with resentment…an FBI analyst challenged to be three steps ahead of the intelligence…a Coast Guard captain assigned to keep watch on that very American of symbols from the water…an astronaut who takes her job very s
Published February 3rd 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published February 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Prepared For Rage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prepared For Rage

LJ
PREPARED FOR RAGE (Thriller-International-Cont) – G+
Stabenow, Dana – Standalone
St. Martin’s Press, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 0312369735

First Sentence: She screamed, once, a single, helpless cry of agony, despair, and betrayed innocence.

Her whole life, Kenai Munro has dreamed of being an astronaut. How is her chance as the shuttle Endeavour. Kenai is also related to Douglas Munro, the only member of the Coast Guard awarded a Medal of Honor. Cal Schuyler is captain of the Coast Guard cutter, Munr
Deborah Darsie
Jul 16, 2017 Deborah Darsie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful, sharp and well paced

Once I figured out who was who and realized what Akil/Isa was up to I got immersed and drawn in.
The first few chapters were a tad difficult to move through, but I realized all the main characters had joined the fun once the 'ride' started and I disliked having to put the book down!

Characters ran the gamut of relationship types, government lackey vs. politicians and to make it more pleasurable...heros and villains.
This is more plausible than I want to consider a
Darlis
May 05, 2017 Darlis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very exciting! We enjoyed listening to this thriller! If I had read it, it would have been a page-turner.
Eruth
Jul 02, 2017 Eruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as enjoyable as Stabenow's Kate Shugak series, but still interesting.
Christine Trensen
May 19, 2012 Christine Trensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have heard good things about Dana Stabenow for years, but never got around to reading her. Interestingly, I came to her by way of one of my sons who's a voracious reader. He likes international intrigue-type books (Olen Steinhauer, Robert Ludlum, Tom Clancy, et al.) so I was surprised to see him reading this one. He seemed unaware that she made her reputation with mysteries!

Prepared for Rage is a contemporary thriller that follows three lead characters. Isa (Arabic for Jesus) is part of a spli
Mike Finn
"Prepared For Rage" is Dana Stabenow's second Coastguard thriller. This time we track the slow, indirect but inevitable intersection between Abdullah (literally servant of God) a rogue cell of Al Qaeda, a Coastguard vessel in Florida, and the Space Shuttle.

Although some of the characters are the same as in "Blindfold Game", "Prepared For Rage" works as a standalone novel so feel free to dive right in.

Dana Stabenow makes "Prepared For Rage" more than a terrorist threat thriller by using it as a v
Davisburns
Have I read this or just downloaded it?

Summary: Following A Deeper Sleep, her most successful Kate Shugak novel to date, the Edgar Award winner and New York Times bestselling thriller writer Dana Stabenow delivers a nail-biting, all-too-real novel of international suspense.

A terrorist with a most personal grudge, an FBI analyst challenged to be three steps ahead of the intelligence, a Coast Guard captain assigned to keep watch on that very American of symbols from the water, an astronaut who ta
Shonna Froebel
Nov 22, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was already familiar with Stabenow's Kate Shugak mystery series, set in Alaska, but this thriller is a completely different sort of book. There is tons of action, a fair bit of violence, global politics, and, of course, sex. We follow several characters here: Coast Guard captain Cal Schuyler; NASA astronaut Kenai Munro; CIA strategist Patrick Chisum; and Pakistani terrorist Akil, also known as Isa. Cal is captain of the Coast Guard cutter which is currently patrolling the Caribbean and will be ...more
Pam
Aug 26, 2008 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I recognized the author's name. I've read a couple of the books in the Kate Shugak mystery series by Dana Stabenow and I enjoyed both the mystery, and their setting in Alaska.

This book is not part of that series. In fact, it is quite different. I find this one to be more of a thriller with 3 separate story lines: the story of a bitter young middle eastern man determined to teach the U.S. a lesson, a female astronaut preparing to live her dream on her first shuttle
Stephanie
Intersecting stories about a terrorist, a strong woman astronaut, the Coast Guard captain who begins a torrid affair with her, an FBI guy, blah blah blah.

Terrorist event is to shoot down the space shuttle on which the astronaut is about to ride, Coast Guard guy is on the ship observing and protecting the launch, you get the idea.

Predictable, way more than I wanted to know about Coast Guard ships etc. (although many would have been enthralled by all the detail, and she DID a good job with her re
Charles
Mar 19, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an exciting suspense novel about a terrorist named Isa and various CIA and Coast Guard characters who get involved in stopping his attempt at an Evil Deed. The characters are pretty well fleshed out and the plot is one those that tracks various threads until they all come together in a decidedly edge-of-the-seat ending.

Dana Stabenow writes the Kate Shugak novels. They are considerably more interesting than this novel because of the setting (Alaska) and the complex and compelling protago
Marti
Apr 16, 2011 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first two Dana Stabenow novels that I read were set in Alaska with Kate Shugak(?) and Liam Campbell, and I enjoyed them much more than this one. I found this interesting, but not nail biting and hot. Perhaps I have read too many thrillers before this, but it seemed somewhat plodding at times. Having the Coast Guard in the plot is interesting--a little different. Kenai seemed very one dimensional--couldn't see her having a love interest which would compete with her astronaut life. Hopefully, ...more
Mar 12, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I was really bummed that Stabenow decided to capitalize on the whole terrorism mania in her latest mystery. (Or should I say "thriller"?) Sure, she managed to get in a few decent jabs at the Bush administration, (she's certainly no Ted Bell), but the whole thing was unnecessary. I read her novels for the unique Alaskan bush setting and unique characters. How many "thrillers" being published now feature terrorists from Pakistan or Afghanistan and a plot against a prominent U.S. symbol? Far too ma ...more
Pam
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Thriller/2008/8 CD's
SERIES/STAND ALONE: Stand-Alone
TIME/PLACE: Present/Cape Kennedy Space Center, FL
CHARACTERS: Cal Schulyer/Coast Guard; Kenai Munro/astronaut

COMMENTS: A new terrorist cell group is plotting something bigger than 9/11. Set against the latest space shuttle ready in Florida. Very good narration.
Cheryl S.
Apr 05, 2008 Cheryl S. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, didn-t-finish
I didn't think to check if this was another in the Kate Shugak series when I ordered it and it's not. I thought I would like it anyway, but unfortunately I didn't like it at all. Bummer. No humor or vivid characters like I'm used to and way too many confusing middle eastern names. I was expecting a lite, fun read. My own fault. I'll remember to check the next time.
Pbwritr
Aug 16, 2009 Pbwritr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Fast reading. Good for the hospital once I was able to concentrate. Plain from the beginning that the Pakistani man in the prologue is bent on revenge, but it didn't make sense that it was against the U.S. and not his village elders. He has set in motion a plan to destroy the next space shuttle as it launches and nearly succeeds.
Ray
Jul 01, 2008 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Coast Guard doesn't get featured prominently in the fight against terror, but gets top billing in this book. It didn't start too well for me, but picked up as the book progressed, and by the end I was caught up in it. Mid-east terrorists aren't exactly a new theme, but I still found it interesting.
Kirsten **Be A Dragon**
Terrific! A great fun read. The characters were alive and believable. And the plot line was suspenseful. I'd never thought about how easy it would be to shoot down the shuttle - but I can see how it would work.

This was a great thriller - from the pen of the author of the Kate Shugak mysteries. Makes me want to pick up one of her mysteries now.
Trish
Jan 15, 2010 Trish rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller-general
I'm not sure why, but for some reason I didn't get on with this as well as I did Blindfold Game. It had some good moments, but I never did figure out why the chief bad guy was motivated to do what he did, and I have to confess that the bits I enjoyed were the cameos from the characters from Blindfold Game.
Ed
#2 in the Coast Guard series.

Coast Guard series - Coast Guard captain and female astronaut become involved. Coast Guard cutter is stationed off Cape Canaveral to guard shuttle launch. Terrorists plan to shoot down shuttle as a follow-up to 9/11. Some characters reappear from "Blindside Game". Better than it sounds but too many coincidences.
Anne
Feb 25, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astronauts preparing for a space shuttle have a special passenger on board. Meanwhile a terrorist cell is preparing to make a statement by blowing up an important symbol of America, and the Coast Guard is securing the waters off Florida. All these groups converge in this well written thriller.
Maple
Nov 06, 2009 Maple rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A renegade terrorist with a personal and vindictive grudge against all things American targets the space shuttle as NASA prepares to launch an important mission with a high-profile payload and a wealthy visitor on board."
Jeannette
Apr 04, 2008 Jeannette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book is well-written for a political thriller, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the Kate Shugak books. It didn't have the Alaskan setting and the strong lead female character I love in those books. It was ok, for a thriller.
Tapley
I enjoyed what I read ok, but it failed to draw me in -- I think this was because all of the jumping around in time from character to character slowed down the narrative, and it just didn't feel suspenseful enough to me.
Joanne
Oct 01, 2010 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a stand alone book (at least so far). Modern day terrorist thriller with the Coast Guard as the heros. First half was tough to track as she laid the groundwork. The second half clipped right along.
Kelly
Apr 22, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read with some good plot twists and pretty realistic shipboard action. The terrorist scenario in this book is too real for comfort.

This was also a nice change of pace from the author's other works.
Joyce
Feb 18, 2008 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults or late teens
Recommended to Joyce by: browsing at library
This is a first for me for this author, but it won't be the last. It was well written and well plotted and as current as today. The premise was believable and the terrorists frightening because of their plausibility. The "heros" were equally real.
Andrea
Interesting plot, and well-written, but I wish there had been one clear hero to root for, rather than a too-vast cast of only loosely-connected good guys. And I never did quite understand Isa's motivations.
Monical
Feb 24, 2016 Monical rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stabenow is the author of several mystery series, all of which are fairly short and incredibly tightly written. this book is a thriller and is a bit longer than the mystery books. I enjoyed it (again, extremely well written, fast paced, interesting characters).
Bob
Oct 07, 2015 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Islamic terrorists plot to interrupt a shuttle launch and are hunted by US anti-terrorist forces and involved Coast Guard officers who are connected with the launch. Action runs from Europe, the Caribbean and the US n this adventure that can get a bit steamy at times.
  • The Tau Ceti Agenda
  • War by Other Means: An Insider's Account of the War on Terror
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)
  • The Post-American Presidency: The Obama Administration's War on America
  • Ominous Parallels
  • A Tragic Legacy: How a Good vs. Evil Mentality Destroyed the Bush Presidency
  • The Hijack (Stratton, #2)
  • Terminal (Tweed & Co. #2)
  • Written in Time
  • Without Prejudice
  • The Fourth Star: Four Generals and the Epic Struggle for the Future of the United States Army
  • The Cheating Curve
  • The Way of the World: A Story of Truth and Hope in an Age of Extremism
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • The Devil's Heart (The Devil, #2)
  • Texas by the Tail
  • Dark Dreamer (Dark Vista, #1)
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.
More about Dana Stabenow...

Coast Guard (2 books)
  • Blindfold Game (Coast Guard #1)