Start by marking “Altered Heart (Mated Heart and Soul, #1)” as Want to Read:
Altered Heart (Mated Heart and Soul, #1)

Altered Heart

(Mated Heart and Soul #1)

As a werewolf and an enforcer for the Committee for Supernatural Behavioral Enforcement, Mick Matranga has seen his share of lowlifes, but Kevin Sutter, pack alpha, is one of the lowest. He has forcibly turned and taken prisoner a young human. Mick has been assigned to affect a rescue and bring Sutter to justice.

Dispatching the bad guy turns out to be the easy part of his
Published January 1st 2009 by Loose Id, LLC (first published 2008)

Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyWolfsong by T.J. KluneDuck! by Kim Dare
Best Gay Shifters
1,150 books — 1,612 voters
Change of Heart by Mary CalmesCut & Run by Madeleine UrbanSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxWith Caution by J.L. LangleyTiming by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Alpha Males
802 books — 950 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Altered Heart (Mated Heart and Soul, #1)
Mona
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
**3 Tortured, Grieving and Painful Stars**
Everybody's got something in their life...
They think they have to hide.
description

Rio has felt pain and hardships, from the time his mother died and he left home at sixteen. But nothing compared or prepared him, for the agony and life changing experience he receives, after being bitten by a werewolf...or the weeks that follow after his taken .
description

Mick a werewolf and enforcer, has a job to bring in a pack alpha, who has committed horrific crimes against humans...and
MLE
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
Typical werewolf romance. Even though I appreciated Rio's strength, and humor, the lack of balance in the relationship, the age gap, and Mick's almost paternal attitude left me a bit cold. Not bad, but it blends in with every other story in this genre I’ve read. A bit formulaic. ...more
Ami
My first experience with Kate Steele's story and I must say that I'm impressed. Her writing is really good -- I loved how she describes the process of shifting from human to wolf, like a magical ritual. The idea of having sex to help handle the pain of shifting for the first time is fleshed out wonderfully. The story has likable characters, emotion, conflict, and a lovely ending that made me totally satisfied.

And oh, I really, REALLY, loved this line because it totally mirrors what I f
Bookwatcher
Awwwwwww... the love between wolves

So, about this book... I don't know from where start to tell you how much I enjoy this werewolf paranormal romance!

There is drama (Rio kidnapping at the begin of the story is veeeeeery disturbing!), love, suspense... I LOVED IT!

I certainly enjoy this story, and recommend to all! Mick and Rio love story is incredible sweet!

5 stars!
Susan
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hurt-comfort, mm, shifters
Could have been so good. But wasn’t.
I was all jumping for joy with the great potential of hurt/comfort going on in this book.

description

But unfortunately the execution was not great.

description

My main problem was Mitch. He was a bit too cold for my taste. And he was pushing Rio away right until 70% when he decided he wants him and loves him. Right….

jessica ☾
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Dreamer
3.5 stars.. Pleasant enough m/m werewolf romance, finished it in an afternoon. Despite the promisingly dark start, it all turned a little bit too sweet and bland for me personally. I made no highlights on kindle so sorry no quote.
Gigi
Just re-read this one after a year and loved, loved, loved it all over again! Fabulous shifter story about Rio, a young drifter who is turned into a werewolf against his will and Mick, the big, strong Committee for Supernatural Behavioral Enforcement Agent who helps ease him into his new life as a shifter. Yum!

If you like sexual tension, this one has it is spades! Melt your kindle, baby! Also, smokin' hot sex, lost of angst and comfort and a spectacular HEA. If you've already read it, it is SO w
Serena Yates
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
This is a slight variation on the werewolf theme. Set in a world of otherwordly beings, we don't get to really see any of them, but knowing they exist makes a difference. It made the story more 'real' for me, more consistent. The characters being werewolves wasn't an 'add-on', like it is in some stories, they were somehow more fundamentally different.

I liked Rio a lot. He has been through absolute hell, but his inner strength has helped him to survive. While it isn't surprising that he falls for
Beck
After multiple reads, I've upped the rating and added this one to my favourites shelf ... the more shifter books I read, the better this one appears in comparison ...

This is one of the better shifter books that I've read ... there were no clunky paradoxes in the world to spoil the story ... the paranormal aspect was so beautifully portrayed that I was surprised to emerge back into the mundane 'real' world where paranormal beasties don't live side-by-side with humans *sigh* ... although the age g
Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist)
2 1/2 stars

I'm torn on this one. It's a very sweet story, I think perhaps a bit too sweet. The tension and growing pains of the 1st half the book and their eventual coming to together was grand. After that though, everything wrapped up too well, too quickly, with too much enlightened psychobabble in cheesy lifetime movie fashion.And instead of the warm fuzzies (it should have prompted), it Rhett Butler bitch slapped out of the story.

I liked Mick and Rio as a couple, enjoyed the emotional layers
Adara
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gangbang2010q4
I liked this story quite a lot. It wasn't overly involved or complicated. It's a fairly standard shifter universe, though apparently humans know that shifters exist in this universe. I liked Mick's personal hang-ups and didn't feel they were overblown or unnecessary, and Rio's were fairly self explanatory. The author touched on all the small things that I wanted to see by the end, so it was satisfying as well. 4 stars. ...more
Candice
I was in the mood for a werewolf story and glad that I came across this one. A very enjoyable romantic story. It seemed like the way it ended, the author was setting it up for more books, but doesn't look like anymore are out there which is a shame. I would have like to read more about these characters. ...more
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Not much to say that wasn't said in other reviews. it was good and held my attention. ...more
Didi
I quite enjoyed a story where paranormal beings were generally known (if not fully accepted) by mere humans. There were bad people on both sides... and Rio Hardin fell victims to both. So come Mick Matranga, a werewolf and enforcer for the Committee for Supernatural Behavioral Enforcement (CFSBE) to the rescue.

It's quite simple plot: vanquish the bad, save the kid, bring to pack, find (soul)mate and live happily ever after. But somehow made different with how Rio sustained after his abuse and st
Chris
3.5 stars. Reread. Pretty good paranormal m/m romance about a werewolf enforcer who kills a psychotic alpha werewolf and rescues the young man/werewolf being kept as a pet by said psychotic alpha werewolf. It felt like the author was setting things up for a second book, but it doesn't appear to exist. ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Sims! Sims! Give that girl and inch....
Poor Rio, I really liked him, he's sweet, tough, scarred and still so resilient. I'm not sure about his pretty quick "recovery" from all the trauma he endured, but Mick was a good match for him.
It took Mick a bit to get his head out of his posterior, but when he finally did....hot and sweet!
Jayhjay
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
This review was originally published on my blog Joyfully Jay

Rio Hardin is hustling on the streets after running away from home. One night he agrees to go with the wrong guy-- someone who turns out to be a sadistic alpha werewolf named Kevin Sutter who kidnaps him, turns him, and takes him as a pet. Rio is subject to horrible physical, sexual, and emotional abuse while under Sutter's control, and after a month is malnourished, battered, and suffering from the inhuman treatment.

Most of the wolves
Macky
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you read a book , sit back and enjoy it for what it is, pure escapism . Simple as! That's how I felt after finishing Altered Hearts, I just really liked it. The paranormal/were side came over as almost believable, as in this world that Kate Steele has created ' we are told that humans and paranormals have become integrated and are aware of each other (felt more could have been made of this concept). Mick is a great alpha (werewolf) hero who comes to the rescue of Rio, a beautiful young ...more
Awilk -never sleeps-
3.5 Stars

This was a great quick read that left me in my happy place. Mike was everything I want in a shifter/were and Rio was such a wonderful survivor that he stole my heart from the beginning.

I have always loved paranormal books, and m/m is a more recent addiction, that I love when I find books that are both.

The story could have been longer, with a bit more detail about some of the aspects from this world, but most importantly, I was happy at the end so I rate this 3.5 Stars and will be happy
DaisyGirl
3.0 Stars

Fairly entertaining PNR story about an abused human-turned-were and his rescuer. I liked both Rio and Mick. Mick's resistance to accepting that Rio was his mate irked me a little. The scene with Jed? Come on! It all worked out in the end, albeit a little cheesily. (I just made that word up.)

Bottom line: Just okay.
Nene
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really great story. I'd like to see more set in this world. Rio and Mick are a great pair and I liked how their relationship developed. The shifting scene? Whoa...just whoa. Smokin' hot. :D ...more
Charly
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not as over-the-top as other werewolf books I’ve read

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 8/10

PROS:
- I’ve been reading a lot of stories lately with one character who’s endured physical and/or mental abuse and is thus wary around the other main character when they first meet. This story is one of my favorites so far in this hurt/comfort subgenre. Rio is nervous around other people but never struck me as pathetic (perhaps because he’s so young--I guess I’
Ifrah
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012, hawt
Rio has been captured, turned, and abused by an alpha werewolf. Mick, an enforcer with a paranormal agency, rescues him and leads him through the mental, emotional and physical changes that occur when a human converts to a were.

Mick also realizes that Rio is his mate but refuses to claim him, resisting due to Rio's age (19) and Mick's own need to stay emotionally detached. When Mick's brother begins to guide Rio through the sexual changes, Mick realizes his mistake and takes over.

The last half
Santoso
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really impressed by Steele's prose in this book. It does not at all read amateurish as I have been made wary with other stories in this genre. I'm especially haunted by her imagery of the moon being a jealous sister of the Earth, when accounting the painful, metaphorical "birthing" of a turned werewolf's first shift. Steele masterfully invites you to glimpse into the twin psyche of a werewolf.

Her characters are very well rounded. The boiling attraction of the fated mates not rushed yet alwa
Candice
2.5 Stars

I never warmed up to Mick and that really brought me out of the story. I liked Rio and I was hoping to like this more than I did. I also would have liked more on the "mates". So you can have more than one mate in this were-world? What exactly is a mate in this world? (view spoiler)

I would read Je
Jen
The book was perfectly written, but let me qualify that... every sentence was perfect, all the grammar was correct, the correct usage of the word "whom", and large words were used properly and profusely. But I didn't think that really fit the character of a high school drop out turned rent boy.

I thought it started out with great potential, but it eventually turned into a "let's psychoanalyze Rio and Mick" story. I ended up skimming through the last part of the book. I won't read it again.
Daphne
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-read, 2016-books
I didn't love this one but it was because it was a poor choice for me, rather than a flaw with the book or writing. Rio was too young, was victimized so much that the quick turn into a romance felt gross to me. I would rate lower based on my enjoyment of the story for this reason, but that doesn't seem fair because others might not be bothered so I'm going middle of the road. ...more
Bea
Nothing really here that is special.. Typical erotica shifter plot lines and lots of sex.

One of the "shifter DNA" features mean guys don't need lube. Really?

After that I pretty much rolled my eyes through the rest of the book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Pretty Poison
  • Unnatural (The Wrong Alpha, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • Concubine
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water, #1)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • Forbidden (Siren Cove #1)
  • The Psychopath
  • A Fostered Love (Foster Siblings, #1)
  • Allergies (Preters, #1)
  • Kidnapped by the Pirate
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • The Long Way Home
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Curious (The Finn Factor, #1)
As a kid, from the time I learned to read, I've treasured books. Fiction mostly, because I'm the type of person who likes to be taken on journeys of imagination. I guess it was only natural I'd try to orchestrate some of those journeys myself, and share them with others.

Writing can be fun, frustrating, and sometimes even frightening, but it sings a siren song that entices. And whether you end up

Mated Heart and Soul (2 books)
  • Amended Soul (Mated Heart and Soul, #2)