Start by marking “Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)” as Want to Read:
Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)

Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan #5)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  690 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
In the aftermath of 2008's shocking crossover trilogy DESTINY, Titan's return to its mission of exploration leads to the discovery of an astonishing new world with a complex ecosystem unlike anything Captain Riker and his crew have encountered before. At the same time, while one father mourns the tragic loss of a child, another looks for hope as a long-awaited birth draws ...more
Published February 24th 2009 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. (first published February 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Over a Torrent Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over a Torrent Sea

Lars
Apr 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Over A Torrent Sea is without question the worst Star Trek novel I've read since returning to the books after David Mack's Destiny trilogy. Set after the Borg Invasion of the Alpha Quadrant, the U.S.S. Titan led by Captain Riker resumes its deep space exploration and discovers an aquatic world (kind of like the one Voyager visited in the season 5 episode Thirty Days). Except this oceanic world is filled with truely bizarre but intelligent alien creatures. The crew sets out to try and communicate ...more
Michael
Following the events of "Star Trek: Destiny," Captain Riker and the crew of the Titan are sent back to the original mission--exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new life and new civilizations.

Early on in Christopher L. Bennett's "Over a Torrent Sea," the reasoning for sending Titan back out on its original mission instead of staying behind to rebuild the Federation is laid out in a fairly believable manner.

Then it's on to the planet of Droplet, a world made of mostly of oceans with a u
Christian
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have to admit the book was a bit boring. It is a nice idea to set up the story on a waterplanet but I had to fight till the end. I put the book several times away but I want mostly to finish books. So I read it till the end. The other Titan books are much better.
Crystal Bensley
A bit slow in parts but I really love the crew of Titan and its exploration focus!
Sunknight
I kept waiting for something exciting to happen until the end of the book. Way to bogged down by relationships and emotions. Too much like a soap opera set on a Federation Starship.
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I enjoy Star Trek books set on exotic planets, namely because the authors have a knack for making me feel like I'm there. This one featured Ensign Aili Lavena as she headed up the away team exploring the water planet Droplet. With no land masses to speak of, Lavena was the perfect one to literally explore the planet's depths. As a mature Selkie, she's fully aquatic and the only crewman able to check things out without needing a shuttlecraft or diving equipment.

Lavena's initial foray into Droplet
Angela
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-tng
The crew of the Titan find an unusual water planet. They decide to investigate, and things get very complicated. Deanna is due to give birth very soon, and Tuvok is dealing with the death of his son. The world is very interesting and unusual. The truly alien feel to it is well realised. It concentrates mainly on the aquatic member of the crew and who she really is. There are some great character moments. A good read.
Emma
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Dan Gilman
While I loved the idea of Over a Torrent Sea, it really failed to flesh out much of anything, while touching on everything. It really did seem all over the place, Aili Lavena, Troi, Riker, Ree, Cetenthe, Melora and a few more have story lines running concurrently, it plays out much as an episode of Star Trek would, but it seemed rather negatively so.

The main theme running throughout is relationships, inter-personal, planetary, and add to that a "Prime Directive? LOLWUT!?" attitude and you see ti
Micah
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After reading the Destiny trilogy I was interested to see how the Titan crew was recovering from those events. Previous Titan adventures proved to be remarkably well written and developed but such remarks are loosely applied to this adventure. Much like a TV episode that had a seemingly random plot & left you confused at the point of that episode "Over a Torrent Sea" achieves the same effect. Instead of techno babble and great orations on warp travel, cosmic phenomenon, etc. The book is fill ...more
Jimyanni
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Some reviewers seem to feel that there was either too much exploration of the emotions of the Titan's crew in this novel, or that those emotions didn't ring true for them, or that that aspect of the story seemed too soap-opera-ish for their taste. I didn't find this to be the case; for the most part, the emotions seemed reasonable and legitimate to me, and where they didn't strike a perfectly harmonic note, the circumstances and the explanations given seemed to me adequate to justify the slight ...more
Jarrah
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
A solid addition to the Titan series. After the epic events of the Destiny trilogy, Titan is back to exploring new worlds, specifically a water-covered planet called Droplet. Selkie Ensign Lavena gets a starring role in this book as she uses her physiological and linguistic similarities to Droplet's lifeforms to make first contact and manage the consequences.

I enjoyed Bennett's imaginative and detailed world-building in this book, although at times it made the plot move a little slowly and part
Alex
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, star-trek
A bit of a rebound from the previous book in the series. Titan encounters an aquatic world with a highly developed aquatic type of lifeform, highly advanced in biotechnology but not a spacefaring civilisation. When an asteroid impacts the planet and changes its "song" Riker and its crew attempt to fix it. While Riker gets trapped on the planet with ensign Aili Lavenna his wife, hours away from giving birth to their first child, is abducted by dr. Ree. He takes Troi to a planet nearby, whose popu ...more
Daniel
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
"Over a Torrent Sea" is a follow-up to the Star Trek Destiny series of books. This book does not deal with the ramifications of what the Borg invasion has done to the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, instead, this is more a book about self discovery and exploration. This story is similar to the Star Trek Voyager episode "Thirty Days" where Voyager discovers a world made entirely of water with no land masses. In this case, the world, called Droplet, became entirely water naturally without any rock or di ...more
Luke
Originally reviewed at http://wp.me/p4Wvzn-1tt

Over a Torrent Sea is the 5th book in the Star Trek Titan series and the first book in the Titan series that follows the harrowing events depicted in the Destiny trilogy.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if you haven' read Star Trek Destiny...you're going to be seriously disadvantaged in reading this book. So much of the story references crew members who have lost loved ones in the Borg invasion and crew members suffering from post trau
Scott Williams
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Star Trek novel by Bennett that I've read this year. I quite enjoy his work. This is a Star Trek story that could only be told in novel format. It's a story of science, exploration and discovery and also a story about characters we love.

I was quite impressed by the amount of scientific research Bennett did to inform this work. He relies on the newest published theories to bolster his world creation and the result is something that feels very real.

The characters on the USS Tit
Miket01
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi

This was a good "episode" of Titan, but not great. Lots of good elements that kind of flat when they all (don't) come together.

On the soap opera side we have some interesting perspectives on polyamory and non-traditional relationships. Plus we also have the final month or so of Commander Troi's pregnancy.

On the exploratory side, there is a great setting of a ocean planet and its complex biosphere, but it feels more like watching a cool science documentary with some fairly arbitrary challenges f
Nicolas
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I was glad to see Riker, Troi & Tuvok taking on a bigger role in this story. I get that the Titan series is trying to do something different, but I find the wacky alien crew-members to be a little much. I might be able to handle them if the antagonists weren't also over the top: giant bee people, star jellies and in this case singing fish people. I felt like this found a better balance of Riker/Troi/Tuvok vs. original characters. Because of that, I even found myself enjoying the bits with th ...more
D. Eric
A competent if somewhat slow-in-the-beginning Star Trek novel. A bit heavy at times on the relationship stuff, but heck, it's Star Trek, so it cannot be too bad if you are a fan. Finally starts moving about halfway through to end on a satisfying note.

It was perhaps time for a novel of this bent if you have been keeping up with the Star Trek Universe. Plots cannot always be about saving the universe and defeating the Borg--sometimes you need a bit of a breather and that is what this novel provid
Stephen Osborne
A nice try at a planet full of lifeforms so different that its hard, at first, to even tell that they're sentient...but the explanations make it heavy going. Better was the B plot, involving Troi's baby. One problem with the Titan series is the very, very alien crew. Hard to keep them all straight! (Is this character the one with the trunk coming out of the back of his neck, the deer-like guy, the turtle, etc...
Rodney
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrek
Over a Torrent Sea is a very good book though it may be too slow paced for some. The story line is good with several twists and turns that all seem to take place in the last 100 pages. This story line allows you to see the insecurities and flaws of several of the main characters.

The native species on Droplet are interesting, from the species at the top of the food chain to those at the very bottom. The natives coax feelings of inspiration and admiration.
Nis
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and indepth (no pun intended) look at an ocean world. And the marine life with biotech idea was also nice. However Titan will probably never be my favorite trek series. Too many unique snowflake characters for my liking. And an awful lot of sex, which is not a bad thing as such, just not terribly interesting to read about, IMO.
John
A very satisfying continuing to the "current" Star Trek universe. This book has a lot of very well researched "hard science" in it, as evidenced by reading the afterward. Bennett really did some in-depth research! I have enjoyed all of this author's ST books, but I believe this is his best one so far.
Christopher
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I don't know why friend kept saying this book was out of print, according to Amazon :S

Amazon is where I purchased this novel. Can't wait to read it either.

Wicked read bring new depth to the cast of Titan
Jeremy
Apr 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think I slept through this book and somehow came to the end. Again, not my favorite author and just an uninteresting book and characters I use to care about but these books do them a grave disservice
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
This recent line of ST books is nothing short of fantastic. This one is great, and gets back to the purest intent of the original ST vision better than anything has in a long, long time...yet it still maintains the modern feel and brings unexpected depth to a number of characters.
Patrick Elsey
Jun 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible

The whole book requires knowledge of other star trek series to be able to understand basic characterization plus you can figure out the whole fucking plot about half way through and not even in a fun mystery way just in a simple reading way.
David Hewitt
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christopher L.Bennett is a superb science fiction author, I have been impressed with every one of his Star Trek books so far and I hope one day that he branches out into universes of his own in publication.
Francisco J.
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it
First book I have read, that gave me an opportunity to see Captain Riker in action.
Caitlin
Jul 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
There were some really witty lines of dialogue in here. As well as some amusing situations. Both caused me to laugh out loud more than a few times despite being in public.
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • The Soul Key (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Star Trek: Titan (10 books)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fortune of War