Start by marking “Must Love Hellhounds (Sookie Stackhouse #9.2; Guild Hunter #0.5; Kate Daniels #3.5; The Guardians #5.5)” as Want to Read:

Must Love Hellhounds (The Guardians #5.5 (Blind Spot ))

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  12,989 Ratings  ·  658 Reviews
In these hound-eat-hound worlds, anything goes…and everything bites.

Follow paranormal bodyguards Clovache and Batanya into Lucifer’s realm, where they encounter his fearsome four-legged pets, in “The Britlingens Go to Hell.” Seek out a traitor in the midst of a guild of nonlethal vampire trackers, one that intends to eradicate the entire species of bloodsuckers, in “Angels
Mass Market Paperback, 361 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Berkley Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Must Love Hellhounds, please sign up.
Yoru Hey,
Hey,
well, currently it doesn't really matter (it can be read like a stand-alone) but if you really want to know it's after Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) (it's between #3 and #4) (less)

Jilly
I just read the Deacon and Sarah story from the Guild Hunters series. The thing about these novellas are that the insta-love has to be extra insta in order to fit it in less pages. This is the case. I love how Deacon sleeps with her once and then gives up his entire life to be with her. She must be pretty special. In bed.

Sorry, couldn't resist! ;-)
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Audiobook Oct. 2017: I picked up the audio version for Must Love Hellhounds. I've been listening to my favorite series Kate Daniels and we have Kate Daniels #3.5 in this book. I loved the audio. When we got to Andrea barring her soul to Raphael, well I had goose bumps. It was such a powerful scene; even reading it. It's a turning point for Andrea. I had also forgotten that the Guild Hunter was in this installment, so I listened Angels’ Judgement, Guild Hunter #0.5. I had fun with that one too. I ...more
Cristina•●♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥●•
The Britlingens Go to Hell by Charlaine Harris - 4 stars

Angel’s Judgement by Nalini Singh - 4 stars

Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews -
Mandi Schreiner
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
It is hard to go wrong buying an anthology with the authors Charlaine Harris, Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews and Meljean Brook. As the title promises, each story features hellhounds in one way or another.

The Britlingens Go to Hell - Charlaine Harris

Batanya and Clovache are bodyguards hired by a thief named Crick to help him retrieve a conjuring ball that he lost in Hell. Crick has stolen this conjuring ball from Lucifer, and in his haste to leave, he misplaced it. He needs the ball back because he
Sophia Triad
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
(This review is only for the story "Magic Mourns" by Ilona Andrews

A giant three headed dog as big as a house and burning spit is chasing Raphael. Andrea is running to rescue him. Apparently someone has stolen a precious dead body and Raphael is following the smell. That does not stop him to take the opportunity to pursuit Andrea at the same time.
It is cool to be a hyena!
That is what I really love in these books! Usually hyenas in shifters’ books are either mean, or stupid or the enemy. In Kate D
Dina
*** NOTE: This rating is for Nalini Singh's ANGELS' JUDGMENT only! ***

If you're a fan of the Guild Hunter series, you'll want to read this novella. It shows how Sara, NY's Guild Hunters Director, and Deacon, her husband, met and fell in love. Very entertaining story!
Lora
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Note: This review is only for Ilona Andrews' short story, Magic Mourns.

Length: 90 pages
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

If you liked Andrea and Raphael in Magic Burns and Magic Strikes, this short story is a must read for you. That is, if you can ignore the repulsive cover.

Magic Mourns takes place about six weeks after the events in Magic Strikes and two weeks before the beginning of Magic Bleeds. In Magic Mourns, Andrea, a knight of the Order, must team up with Raphael, a werehyena with romantic feeling
MelissaB
Guild Hunter story by Nalini Singh - 4 stars (could have used more detailed love scenes)

Kate Daniels story by Ilona Andrews - 3.5 stars (I like Kate's voice better)
Marianne
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Britlingens Go To Hell is a short story by popular American author, Charlaine Harris. Paranormal bodyguards, Batanya and Clovache are hired to accompany their client into a dangerous situation for the retrieval of an item left behind. Only once the paperwork is signed do they learn they are going to Hell, that their client is a thief (with some rather unusual attributes) and that said item actually belongs to Lucifer. This is a tale that manages to include Hellhounds, Narcissus and Amelia Ea ...more
Jen
Reviewed after reading in August-September 2015, with only minor updates made after subsequent readings (4th reading: October 2016; see status updates for dates):
Overall rating: 4.25 stars

I really enjoy this collection of stories. I don't understand my previous comment (see my first review below) about how the world-building was dry. I haven't found it so in any of the four stories this time around. Times...they do change. ;-)

My favorite of the four stories is definitely "Magic Mourns" by Ilona
Quinn
The Britlingens Go to Hell - Charlaine Harris

The Britingens appeared briefly in one of the Sookie Stackhouse books, but this book bears next to no resemblance to that series. For those readers like me who must read series in order – and also seem compelled to read the novellas in anthologies – please trust me on this: You can give this one a miss.

This one started off OK (just ‘OK’), and the Britlingen bodyguards and the Collective had potential, but then they ended up taking a trip to Hell to pr
Pete
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Must Love Hellhounds are four hellhound doggy book shorts by Charlaine Harris, Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews, and Meljean Brook. . I can’t believe I’ve had this book in my library so long without reading.

The Britlingens Go to Hell by Charlaine Harris (3 stars)

Britlingens? I’m NCAA No Clue At All , who in the world are Britlingens? I’ll have to search into Charlaine’s Sookie Stackhouse series. Maybe she’s like Snooky Wookums from Krypto the Superdog.

Sorry Charlaine, I’ll put your series on my
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews - 4 stars
Kickass h/h. Loved the emphasis on their romance. It somehow made me love them more, if that's even possible. And all the mythology made this novella that much more interesting. Not sure if I liked the change of narration at the end though. But it was good nevertheless.

Favourite Quote:
“I’m game,” Raphael shivered. “I don’t suppose you have any spare clothes?”
“You should have thought of clothes before you decided to go human.”
The sinful smile was back. “I
Renégade ♥
4 1/2 stars

Rating for Blind Spot by Mejean Brook ONLY

Excerpt (or why one may want to think very carefully about messing with a hellhound):

(view spoiler)
AH
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Charlaine Harris, Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews, and Meljean Brook make a nice combination in this anthology about hellhounds. The major draw for me was Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews. I must say that I enjoyed all the stories in the book and I am glad to have discovered some new favorite authors and series to explore.

The Britlingens Go to Hell - Charlaine Harris
I found this to be the weakest story in the anthology. It’s nothing like the Sookie Stackhouse series. I did like Clovache and Batanya
The Flooze
Charlaine Harris: The Britlingens Go to Hell
*2.5 - 3 stars*
Clovache and Batanya made their first appearance in All Together Dead. That book may be my favorite of the Sookie series - the epitome of Vampire Business - and the two bodyguards added an extra layer to our understanding of vampire paranoia. And wealth. Warrior bodyguards from another dimension! From what I recall, the two were highly logical, utterly efficient, and conducted themselves with a detached sort of honor.

In this novella, w
Eilonwy
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it

A novella collection by four different authors is hard to rate.

I found all of the stories to be well-written and enjoyable, but none of them would scream "Read the books in this universe!" at me if I weren't already familiar with the authors. Hence the three-star overall rating.

I enjoyed "Magic Mourns" the most, partly because I'm currently reading the Kate Daniels books. The Charlaine Harris story was good, but since it was about characters who barely play a part in the Sookie Stackhouse stor
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Leah
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Leah by: Sam
THIS RATING IS JUST FOR THE GUILD HUNTER AND KATE DANIELS STORIES.

MUST LOVE HELLHOUNDS - 4.5 STARS

"Angels' Judgment" by Nalini Singh - 5 stars
This novella was so adorable! I love Deacon and Sara is pretty awesome. I'm glad we got to see how they got together and Sara becoming the Guild Director.

"Magic Mourns" by Ilona Andrews - 4 stars
I haven't read any of the Kate Daniels series, but I heard that this novella about Andrea and Raphael was great, so I had to read it.
Melindeeloo
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Man's Best `Fiend' puts in an appearance in Stories you can really sink your teeth into

Four of my favorite authors: Charlaine Harris, Meljean Brook, Iona Andrews and Nalini Singh all in one book, Yippee! Most of the stories were the perfect kind of connected shorts, ones which explore side characters so as not to take away from the main arc of the authors' popular series but which are still fun fill-ins for these wonderful worlds. If you are a fan of Brook's Guardians, Andrews' Kate Daniel's wor
Kat
Mar 05, 2010 rated it liked it
4 novellas, all ostensibly about hellhounds somehow.

"The Britlingens Go to Hell" by Charlaine Harris- Sucked, one star story. Pulled the whole volume down a full star. Took me 3 weeks to read it. If you've read the Sookie Stackhouse books, the Britlingens appear there. Frankly, they were different, but not nearly interesting enough to get me into the story. It was only through sheer force of will that I finished it. The link to the theme of the novels was tenuous at best. Basic plot: the 2 Britl
Kim
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I bought 'Must Love Hellhounds' for two stories: Nalini Singh's 'Angels' Judgement' and Ilona Andrews's 'Magic Mourns'

Angel's Judgement: 5/5
I loved it!As a prequel to one of my favourite paranormal series, it was perfect. I loved seeing how Sara became the Guild Director, and how she fell in love with Deacon. I was a little concerned with their "Love at first sight" approach, but in a short story things have to move quickly, and it was easy to move past that when you know where their lives are
Steph
"The Britlingens Go to Hell" by Charlaine Harris
Although set in Sookie's "world" this felt more like one of Charlaine Harris' fantasy novels. Assassins/bodyguards Clovache and Batanya are required to accompany a thief to Hell itself. They encounter demons of all kinds (including a couple of not-entirely-fearsome hellhounds), and attempt to steal a treasure from Lucifer himself. Rating: 3★

"Angel’s Judgment" by Nalini Singh
I love Nalini Singh’s Guild’s Hunters series and this was a great addition.
Stacey
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Magic Mourns is a solid 4.5 star short story about Andrea and Raphael. Just enough action, smexy time and Greek mythology to keep the story intriguing yet fast paced. And we find out some interesting and mysterious information about Curran!!

The Guild Hunter novella, Guild Hunter #1.5, is another solid 4.5 star short story. Loved it!!! Great incite into Elena's BFF Sara and Deacon. So far in the books we haven't seen much of Deacon, so this short story let you get to know him pretty well. And oh
Bry
I skipped Harris's story since I am not a fan of the Sookie books, but I beyond adored the other 3 stories. Even the Guild Hunter and Guardian stories which I have not read the novels for, and yet was not lost within the universe. And of course Andrews's story was fabulous as always. All of the plots were engaging, suspenseful, hot, and totally enjoyable! Definitely worth rereading once I have read Angel's Blood and some of the Guardian novels.
Janice (Janicu)
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it

preordered this one because this anthology of four paranormal stories featuring hellhounds has a couple authors I like in it.

********

1) Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews: This is the third story in the anthology but I read it first. :)

The Premise: This is a story set in the same world as the Kate Daniel series, but this time the first person narrator is Kate's best friend, Andrea. Andrea is filling in for Kate one day, when a call comes in about a member of th
Mara
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Great way to decide on some authors that you may not have read before. Enjoyable stories, going to try some of their other work
Luv
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Given the name of the book, "must love hellhounds" I expected to see a bit more, well, hellhounds. Only in the last story, one of my favourites, did a hellhound come to the fore of the story. And what a lovable hellhound he was
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"The Britlingens Go to Hell" by Charlaine Harris was another interesting story from the author! We first met the Britlingens Batanya and Clovache in "All Together Dead" at the Vampire summit in Rhodes as hired bodyguards protecting a high-level vampire King. I enjoyed the brief preview of these characters from that book, and couldn't wait until Ms. Harris wrote about the two again.
In this story, we get to find out about who the Britlingens are in general, and about how they are hired and perform
Samantha
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
The Brittingens Go to Hell by Charlaine Harris~
Didn't read this installment in the book. I've tried to read Harris in the past but could never really get into her. So I decided to skip this one.

Angels' Judgment by Nalini Singh~ 4/5
This is a short prequel story to Singh's Guild Hunter series. It features Sara Haziz right before she decides to accept the Guild Hunter director job. Its basically a "how they met" story about how Sara and her husband, Deacon, got together. I pretty much loved this s
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Angels' Pawn (Guild Hunter #0.6)
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea #3.5; Psy-Changeling #0.6; Iron Seas #0.5)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights (Kitty Norville; Vampire Files; Kate Daniels; Signs of the Zodiac; Dresden Files)
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #3.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Magic Bleeds - Awake (Curran POV #9)
  • Demon Night (The Guardians, #3)
  • An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling #0.5; Murphy Sisters #1)
  • Magic Graves (Night Huntress, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #0.5)
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an
More about Charlaine Harris

The Guardians (8 books)
  • Demon Angel (The Guardians, #1)
  • Demon Moon (The Guardians, #2)
  • Demon Night (The Guardians, #3)
  • Demon Bound (The Guardians, #4)
  • Demon Forged  (The Guardians, #5)
  • Demon Blood (The Guardians, #6)
  • Demon Marked (The Guardians, #7)
  • Guardian Demon (The Guardians, #8)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Two By Two
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“Outside I hopped into our vehicle, the taint of vampiric magic clinging to me like greasy smoke.
“I feel soiled.”
“Like walking into a room after a day of work, falling into bed, and realizing the sheets are covered in cold K-Y jelly,” Raphael said.
I just stared at him.
“With a funky smell,” he added.
My Order conditioning failed me. “Ew.”
Raphael grinned.
“I‟m not even going to ask if that‟s happened to you.”
I started the vehicle. “Has that happened to you?”
“Yes.”
Ew. “Where?”
“In the bouda house. I was really tired and you‟ve seen that place: everything smells like sex . . .”
“I don‟t want to know.” I peeled out of the parking lot.
"So where are we going?”
“To Spider Lynn‟s house. We‟re going to dig through her trash, and if that doesn‟t work, we‟ll do some breaking and entering.”
Raphael frowned. “Do you know where she lives?”
“Yes. I memorized the addresses of all the Masters of the Dead in the city. I have a lot of time on my hands.”
He squinted at me, looking remarkably like a gentleman pirate from my favorite romance
novels. “What else do you store in your head?”
“This and that. I remember the first thing you ever said to me. You know, when you carried me from the cart into the tub so your mother could fix me.”
“I imagine it was something very romantic,” he said. “Something along the lines of „I‟ve got you‟ or „I won‟t let you die.‟
“I was bleeding in the bathtub, trying to realign my bones, and my hyena glands voided from the pain. You said, „Don‟t worry, we have an excellent filtration system.‟”
The look on his face was priceless.
“That can‟t be the first thing.”
“It was.”
We drove in silence.
“About the K-Y,” Raphael said.
“I don‟t want to know!‟
“Once I washed it out of my hair—”
“Raphael, why are you doing this?”
“I want to make you go "Ew‟ again.”
“Why in the world would you want to do that?”
“It‟s an irrepressible male impulse. It just has to be done. As I was saying, once I washed it out—”
“Raphael!”
“No, wait, you‟ll like the next part.”
22 likes
“Look under the passenger seat in a black plastic bin. There should be a book.”
Raphael hopped out, dug under the seat, and pulled out a dog-eared copy of The Almanac of Mystical Creatures.
“Got it,” I said into the phone.
“Page seventy-six.”
Raphael flipped the book open and held it up. On the left page a lithograph showed a three-headed dog with a serpent for a tail. The caption under the picture said CERBERUS.
“Is that your dog?” Kate asked.
“Could be. How the heck did you know the exact page?”
“I have perfect memory!”
I snorted.
She sighed into the phone.
“I spilled coffee on that page and had to leave the book open to dry it out. It always opens to that entry now.”
19 likes