Start by marking “Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2)” as Want to Read:
Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2)

Living Dead in Dallas

(Sookie Stackhouse #2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  220,315 ratings  ·  6,727 reviews
Cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse is having a streak of bad luck. First her co-worker is killed, and no one seems to care. Then she comes face to-face with a beastly creature that gives her a painful and poisonous lashing. Enter the vampires, who graciously suck the poison from her veins (like they didn't enjoy it).

The point is: they saved her life. So when one of the bl
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published May 27th 2009 by Ace (first published April 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Living Dead in Dallas, please sign up.
Alexandra I have the same dilema Rachel. I see you gave it a try about one year ago. I've read the1st book past month and it took me 2 weeks to bring it to the…moreI have the same dilema Rachel. I see you gave it a try about one year ago. I've read the1st book past month and it took me 2 weeks to bring it to the end. Two weeks ago I 've started the 2nd one and I got the same problem. I don't know if it's because I've ead many bette vampire books before this series, or it literally sucks at all. Usually I create sort of bound with the characters in books and it doesn't take me much than 30 pages, but with theese ones I simply cannot. Did you felt the same? Like you can't sense any of them? Like none of the is special enough to make you say "damn,I haven't seen that idea before?I am really curious about that.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
George Sookie says she learned about maenads from reading a mystery. That doesn't indicate that any character therein was actually one. A classically…moreSookie says she learned about maenads from reading a mystery. That doesn't indicate that any character therein was actually one. A classically educated person could refer to someone as metaphorically a maenad, and explain to someone else what they meant by it.

Also, I've just done a Google Books search on maenad murder mystery and found as the second hit Paul Doherty's Murder's Immortal Mask (Ancient Roman Mysteries, Book 4) in which some character looks at maenads painted on a wall.

Frankly, I can imagine Harris deciding to use this device to explain Sookie's initial knowledge without necessarily being aware of a real book that matched the description. Fiction writers are allowed to invent things!(less)

·  220,315 ratings  ·  6,727 reviews

Jayson
(B-) 71% | Satisfactory
Notes: A fun first two-thirds, it’s spoiled by a gratuitously salacious subplot, ending the book a deflated, disorganized mess.
Inge
Apr 12, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
DNF 47%

I’m done with this series. The first book was weird enough as it is, but this one is just too much for me. Nothing makes sense and at 47%, I still haven’t found a plot. Here’s a list of things I have a problem with:

1. This series is weird.
2. Everyone treats Sookie as if she is Bill’s possession. Even worse: a pet.
3. Bill goes along with it.
4. So does Sookie.
5. Bill is one of the worst boyfriends I have ever met. He is boring, possessive and never fails to get Sookie into trouble. Plus, he
Jasmin
It was extremely hard thinking of Eric Northman, 6'4", blonde with blue eyes, need I mention a super gorgeous hunk, a vampire, and Sheriff of Louisiana Area 5, an entrepreneur (owner of bar Fangtasia) in a PINK LYCRA especially when I pictured him as Alexander Skarsgård who looks like this

But imagining the bulge his would form, Eric Northman in a pink lycra doesn't seem like a bad idea. I think I'm pro pink lycras. Especially if someone this hot would wear them. I even think I should advocate t
2.5 Stars

Sookie fucking Stackhouse!!

I’ll let you know a little secret, ladies: No matter how great with a capital "G" your boobs are, you will never attract every man and woman who ever meets you UNLESS you are Sookie fucking Stackhouse!! If you are Sookie fucking Stackhouse no one, and I mean NO ONE, will be able to resist you... *eyeroll*

Easily my least favourite part of this story is the main character, I just cannot relate to Sookie at all. She bothers me. And whilst an element of that is si
Fabian
Nov 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite having a solid story that ends with a massacre, a theme that explores radical groups and the evil of humanity (not of the monsters) there are still a hundred pages left to talk about the new types of myths that are roaming the earth... Sookie's world is suddenly getting stuffy, but with each new development, the reader understands that the books will take liberties that will truly surprise. The adventures are becoming less structured... episodic. I am pretty excited to continue reading a ...more
Choko
*** 3.44 ***

A buddy read with the folks at FBR! There is a vampire thing going on... :)

Let's start with the obvious - these books are not written with the aim to turn into classics one day, nor are they pretentious or climbing the genre's most memorable ladder to fame. They do not claim literary breakthroughs nor are they intended as a learning tool of how to make it in life. They are what they are - a silly, at times humorous and always just at the edge of ridiculous portrayal of a hick Souther
Beth
Vampire Bill is a dud.

But otherwise I really enjoyed this book, it was better than the first. I was dying laughing during most of the orgy scene...who knew Eric was so funny?

Perfect vacation reading. Added bonus, I read this on the plane last night from Minneapolis to the Dallas/Fort Worth airport. Very appropriate. :)
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Another wonderful Sookie Stackhouse outing, fast-paced and never flagging. This one sees Sookie and Bill sent by Eric to Dallas because he's "rented" her out to the nest leader there, Stan, so she can use her telepathic gift to find out what happened to a missing vampire. This leads to the Fellowship, a truly scary psuedo-Christian cult that's very anti-vampire. There's also a scary Maenad hanging around the woods at home, demanding tribute, and poor Lafayette, the flamboyantly gay cook from the ...more
Erin
Two books in this series down.

A hundred to go.

Just kidding but there are a lot books in the Southern Vampire (better known as True Blood) series. I don't know if I'll read them all, my attention span is not the best, but I'm loving these books so far.

In Living Dead In Dallas we once again spend time with our heroine Sookie Stackhouse and her "interesting" friends. Sookie is a bit grating, Bill is still boring, but thankfully we finally get more Eric.

I hope in future books we get to know more a
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Most people who have read this series, at the very least, like portions of it.

They like the first 3 or 4 installments, but then they get bored, or after the 3rd or 4th book, the series really started picking up for them.

I’m weird, I guess. I pretty much liked the entire series right up until the end. Sure, how much I liked each book varied—for example, except for the last book, this one is my LEAST favorite, but that’s not uncommon, what with this being book 2 and all. It
Tatiana
May 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2011
I almost forgot what an uptight bore Bill is. But I surely remember the glory that is Eric Northman...

Juli
This year I made a New Year's Resolution that I would read more books that I enjoy....and revisit books that I loved. From Trixie Belden to Sookie Stackhouse, I have enjoyed my year of reading whatever I wanted to read -- with no guilt or book shaming allowed. When you get right down to it, reading is great for learning and exercising the grey matter, but it can also be a wonderful, joyful, fun experience. I have enjoyed this year of free-range reading so much that I have already decided to make ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 Dead Until Dark ★★★.5
#2 Living Dead in Dallas ★★★★

“Angelic Sookie, vision of love and beauty, I am prostrate that the wicked evil maenad violated your smooth and voluptuous body, in an attempt to deliver a message to me.”

Let me just take back anything negative or lackluster I ever said about Eric Northman in my life, because wow, I have joined the fan club and I am happy to be here, folks.

This installment was SO MUCH BETTER than the first one, I don’t even have words to describe it! The plot’
Heather
Aug 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Perseverance pays off, especially when reading this series. After I completed Dead Until Dark, I was hesitant to continue on with the second installment. However, I had made a promise to a friend to stick it out, and I had already purchased the book, so I got comfortable and braced myself for the impending doom. At first, my fears were realized. Sookie was still dingy, annoying, and cried at least four times in the first 30 pages. My outlook was grim, but I prevailed on in hopes that the small g ...more
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈

WHY WHY WHY did I feel the need to buy this entire series of books? Now I have to read all of them, and this is only book 2. And honestly, I read this 8 months ago and cannot remember much about it at all. But since I cannot leave books unreviewed (any time I have a book with unreviewed space, it glares at me and glares at me until I cave), I need to figure out how to review this thing. So here goes:

TRUTHS ABOUT LIVING DEAD IN DALLAS
Truth #1: Dead Until Dark is better.

I did not love Har
Geraldine O'Hagan
Sep 21, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jilly
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are strange. Unique. Whenever I thought of urban fantasy before reading this series, I thought of cities and, well, urban life that would include crazy magical creatures. This is the only series I have seen that is set in the South, and it is a lot of fun. The "Southiness" of it cracks me up because I have lived in Texas for the past 18 years and can appreciate the references.

Here are some of my favorite Southernisms:

The expressions. Southerners are super expressive in their language
Wanda
2019 Re-Read

Just as telepath Sookie enjoys resting her mind around Vampire Bill, whose thoughts she can’t hear, I enjoy resting myself in this series that I’ve read and enjoyed before.

I find myself really curious about Charlaine Harris’ writing practices—did she have this series planned out well in advance or did she just sit down at her desk each day to see where the characters took her? Maybe a hybrid somewhere in between? I feel like the general arc of the story must have been laid out in ad
Timothy Urges
Light smutty entertainment.
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
"Your lips are bloody." He seized my face in both hands and kissed me.

It's hard not to respond when a master of the art of kissing is laying one on you.

The best part of this book is every scene Eric Northman is in. While this one was definitely better than the first book, it wasn't as good as it was the first few times I read it. Definitely not a 5-star book, as I originally rated it.

This one has two main plots which are separate from each other: the maenad coming to Bon Temps and the encounter
Allison
Quick thoughts here, since I probably won't bother to do a full review. I liked this better than the first. It was another quick read. There was less slow, Southern charm and humor, less of a chick-lit focus on hair and clothes and working in the bar (although that's still in there).

Instead, there are two mysteries in two locations, and we get more exposure to the worlds of vampires and shape-shifters, and I finally got to know what the fuss about Eric is all about - or at least I'm starting to
Buggy
Opening Line: Andy Bellefleur was drunk as a skunk."

This was another super entertaining read; combining fantasy, action, romance and mystery that you’ll find difficult to put down. With book #2 we return to small town Louisiana and telepathic waitress Sookie Stackhouse, who's still slinging beers for shapeshifter Sam and spending time with boyfriend Bill the vampire. Their relationship continues to evolve with anger and jealousies surfacing here, and even though for the most part Bill is still s
Jim
It was a fast, engaging read. Different, in details, from the series, but the feel is the same. It's an interesting world that Harris has created. She brings up some well thought out points about how a vampire would differ from a normal human. It's certainly not high literature, but an awful lot of fun.
Courtney
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of: adult paranormal, crime mysteries, vampires and the HBO show True Blood
"What does true madness care about discovery?"

The two main plots in Living Dead in Dallas are: A) The ruthless Maenad, Callisto, who comes to visit Bon Temps accompanied by her feral razorback pig companion, demanding tribute. B) A member of the Dallas vampire nest has been taken by an anti-vampire organization, The Fellowship of the Sun, with the help of a very old and very suicidal vampire, Godfrey (Godric).

This book begins with Sookie discovering a dead body in Sheriff Andy Bellefleur's vehi
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I liked the first book in this series, but with this book did I rally start to love the series. The Sookie Stackhouse series is such a fantastic series, at least until the last book that ruined it all.

Living Dead in Dallas is a terrific book. I love the humor, the action and of course, Eric Northman. Yup, not a Bill fan at all! ;)

I do recommend this series, however, the last book is very, very bad. But until that one is the books great!
Amanda
Mar 07, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Crystal Starr Light
Sookie Stackhouse's life is as normal as a telepath can get. She has a vampire boyfriend, a house, a job, and friends. And then one day, the Merlotte's chef, Lafayette, turns up dead in Andy's car. Not to mention, she works for Eric on odd jobs, and he sends her to Dallas to do some investigating for the vampires.

Once again, Sookie Stackhouse proves to be a (mostly) light-hearted, carefree paranormal series that is fun and fluffy and doesn't take itself too seriously. No, it isn't perfect. No, i
Amanda
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog, bloodsuckers
Sookie Stackhouse is at it again, getting herself tangled up in all sorts of supernatural mischief involving vampires, werewolves, and now a maenad.

These books are pure brain candy and a lot of fun with no literary pretensions. I enjoy the unique twists that stem from Harris's choice to set her vampire tales in the South (and not the South of antebellum aristocrats, but borderline trailer-trash South) and have vampires attempting to mainstream into society after being recognized as citizens by
Tamora Pierce
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this again taught me how much better a writer Charlaine Harris is than the writers of the "True Blood" series on HBO. In the TV series, Bill's sheriff vampire, tall blond Eric, cries out to Sookie that he has two silver bullets in him and they must be removed immediately. They're in his shoulder and chest, and she had no surgical devices or tweezers, so she ends up sucking them out, getting Eric's blood in her mouth (which was his point). One of them is in Eric's breast, near the nipple, ...more
Alaina
Now I've seen the show and I never knew it was a whole book series. I know, I know, I'm a terrible person who should never read a book or watch TV ever again. I'm sorry.

I actually kind of like the book because I think it was better than the show - but only for that reason.

Living Dead in Dallas was a fast read, to me at least, and it definitely kept my interest. I love murder mystery books and I've been on a huge kick with that type of genre lately. Sookie seems okay to me. I don't really like or
Vampires, Weres a...: Living Dead in Dallas 71 19 May 25, 2019 09:30PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Living Dead in Dallas [Jan 14, 2018] 70 35 Jan 16, 2018 08:46PM
Around the Year i...: Living Dead in Dallas, by Charlaine Harris 4 29 Feb 10, 2017 06:39AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris 2 15 Jul 07, 2015 03:51AM
Joyce's Reading Log: Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris 1 1 May 17, 2014 01:28PM
Wasn't expecting that nice ending 58 241 Dec 28, 2013 04:39PM
any good 6 60 Dec 13, 2013 10:06PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3)
  • Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
  • Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2)
  • Bound to Shadows (Riley Jenson Guardian #8)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Sookie Stackhouse (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
  • Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3)
  • Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4)
  • Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)
  • Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6)
  • All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7)
  • From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8)
  • Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)
  • Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)
  • Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)
“Sookie, my little bullet-sucker"
Eric, my big bullshitter”
450 likes
“By the way, I haven't heard an 'I'm sorry' from you yet." My sense of grievance had overwhelmed my sense of self-preservation.
I am sorry that the maenad picked on you."
I glared at him. "Not enough," I said. I was trying hard to hang on to this conversation.
Angelic Sookie, vision of love and beauty, I am prostrate that the wicked evil maenad violated your smooth and voluptuous body, in an attempt to deliver a message to me."
That's more like it.”