Start by marking “Always Lots of Heinies at the Zoo” as Want to Read:
Always Lots of Heinies at the Zoo

Always Lots of Heinies at the Zoo

What is it about zoo residents? Is it because they're cooped up all day with nothing better to do? Is it because they lack the appropriate clothing for their unusual size and shape? Is there no laundry service? Whatever the reason, whenever you go to the zoo, what can you be sure to see? Heinies, and plenty of 'em. From demure to bodacious, Ayun Halliday and Dan Santat are ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Always Lots of Heinies at the Zoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always Lots of Heinies at the Zoo

Start your review of Always Lots of Heinies at the Zoo
karen
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
okay, i didnt want to review this before i sent it off to david, because i wanted him to have the surprised thrill of not knowing this existed. and i know im not going to be able to write as disturbing a review as his, so im not even going to bother, but i feel like theres something i want to say... something thats...right..on the tip of my... oh, righht!!

animals are dirrrrty!!!
Agathafrye
Nov 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, funny
Why can't we be more like animals and less ashamed of our heinies?
Alia
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I apparently have the sense of humor of a five year old because I was giggling through out this book. The vocabulary is a little too advanced for smaller ones but kids will delight in the animal bottoms.
Danie P.
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
hahahahahahah exactly what the title says.
Kelly
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now here's a book for you...animal butts at the zoo! It's cute and silly, and the rhyming is unique and fun.
Stacey Mulholland
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
For the right audience, your kids will laugh at loud at all the different ways to mention the heinies at the zoo.
Jeremy
Similar to Chicken Cheeks. Kids loses his drawers at the end.
Melissa
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh how we love Dan Santat's illustrations! This was quite funny and introduced the boys to a few new animals.
SLoMoe
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Summer reading challenge for kid: a book with a 7 word title.
Myra
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I need to thank my friend Jennie for sharing this book with me. It is a delight. So many heinies.
Heydi Smith
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-storytime
Phenomenal book! I recommend for all zoo, animal or derriere Storytime!
Stacy
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I got this book from the library strictly because it was illustrated by Dan Santat. Story was okay, the illustrations were awesome! (Of course the illustrations were awesome because they were done by Dan Santat.)
Cory
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was going to be hilarious from the title, but it was not enough of anything to really please me. It wasn't particularly funny, which was my first disappointment. I suppose if you had a kid who always wanted to be naked and you were trying to teach them when it was inappropriate to be naked, this book might help. If you're NOT dealing with that sort of parenting moment, then I feel like this book is a bit judge-y and might make kids think that their naked bodies are bad and sh ...more
Meghan
Sep 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Another picture book with a butt theme and I don't mind - I love Chicken Cheeks!Chicken Cheeks

Halliday provides lots of snappy text, taking the reader through the zoo animals as though on a visit themselves. Santat's illustrations have a "Pixar" quality and both the animals and humans he creates are full of personality.

There are a few words that are a bit far-reaching for the intended audience, but nothing that can't be explained farily easily.
MaryAnn
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The illustrator came to my attention via the 2015 Houston Bookworm Festival program. My exploration of Dan Satat's work has not disappointed yet. But what especially caught my eye was the term Heinies aka bottoms, butts, behinds etc. I've not heard this euphemism (?) since I was a child.

This book entertains the pre potty humor set with a funny, engaging story that can please and teach on many levels.
Abby
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and teachers
Recommended to Abby by: Sam and Kevin
This book is the funniest kid books I have come across in a long time... There are so many zoo animal books out there but this one, with its many synnonyms for "butt" and pictures that acompany it, make it a laugh out loud riot of fun for a family or clasroom. Add to your list for kids in your life!
Shelli
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is the second picture book I have read recently about animal booty’s. Since children crack up and the mention of the word “butt” it’s not surprising that the darer is the perfect topic for a story line. As always Dan Santat’s illustrations are bright comical perfection and add greatly to the silly text on all things heinie.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
The text on this book didn't necessarily work for me. As the title states..."always lots of heinies" referring to the behinds of all the animals at the zoo. However, the illustrations are wonderful. I am loving Dan Santat's work.
Matt
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Snappy rhyming text about animals exposed rears at the zoo will definitely get a giggle out of kids of any age. This is a great book for story time, however some of the vocabulary is too advanced for a beginning reader alone.
Rachel
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is pure delight, pictures are uniquely done. Lots of heinie words and lots of animals. Kids will love this one.
Stephanie
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
A wonderful practice in alliteration and rhyme. I have enjoyed the author's column on parenting in Bust magazine for many years. Good for her this picture book!
Hilary
Jul 29, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: picture-books
Recommended at the BYU Symposium.
Hope
Aug 26, 2009 added it
Shelves: 2009
I've read a rash (har har) of bum books this year...this one has a little more substance than Ian Michael Black's "Chicken Cheeks".
Megan
Oct 19, 2009 rated it liked it
I just had to pick this one up because of the title. It was cute.
Miekka
Nov 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: seths-books
This book is about animal bums at the zoo. My somewhat potty-minded kids liked it, but some of the vocabulary was a little high for their ages (3 and 6).
Molly
Jan 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun! I'm not sure what my son enjoyed more, the back cover or the author/illustrator photos...check it out, you'll see what I mean!
Kari
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This rhyming silliness got LOTS of laughs when I read it aloud to the group of kids are school--as could be expected. ;)
Shannon
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp-jr-s, 2010
Butt humor entertains me :)
Catherine
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious rhyming tour of the zoo and the many bums found there -- along with an explanation that humans don't show their bums in public (complete with one kid who does).
Matthew
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
It wasn't great, but it was funny enough for a primary audience or any audience really that enjoys talking about butts.

• Wordy Birdy
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • Dude!
  • The Big Angry Roar
  • You Get What You Get (Little Boost)
  • Tyrannosaurus Rex Vs. Velociraptor (Who Would Win?)
  • Who Would Win?  Alligator vs Python
  • Killer Whale Vs. Great White Shark
  • The Bad Guys Guide to Being Good
  • Who Would Win? Rhino vs. Hippo
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • Planet Name Game (Dr. Seuss/Cat in the Hat)
  • The Girl I Used to Be
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower (Amelia Bedelia, #3)
  • Hangry
  • Great Day for Up
  • The Scary Night (Robot and Rico)
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
Ayun Halliday is the Chief Primatologist of the long running, award-winning East Village Inky zine and author of the self-mocking autobiographies No Touch Monkey! And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late, The Big Rumpus  Dirty Sugar Cookies: Culinary Observations, Questionable Taste, and Job Hopper. She collaborated with illustrators Dan Santat on the picture book Always Lots of Heinies at the Zo ...more