Start by marking “The Silence of Unworthy Gods (Arcane Ascension Book 4)” as Want to Read:
The Silence of Unworthy Gods (Arcane Ascension Book 4)

The Silence of Unworthy Gods

(Arcane Ascension #4)

Upon returning to Valia after his journey to Caelford and the Unclaimed Lands, Corin Cadence is confronted with a familiar foe — his own father. While his strength has vastly increased since his last encounter with Magnus Cadence, Corin knows that he’ll need every trick at his disposal — and maybe a few new ones — if he wants to survive a duel with his father intact.

While
Published October 1st 2022

To ask other readers questions about The Silence of Unworthy Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silence of Unworthy Gods

Start your review of The Silence of Unworthy Gods (Arcane Ascension Book 4)
Aaron
Oct 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This series is something truly special. If you’re neurodivergent and like fantasy I think you should give it a try.

And this book? Gosh it set up so many promises and kept them and the ending OH. MY. GOD.

I just truly can’t even.

I will definitely be continuing this series.
Rebecca
Oct 05, 2022 rated it liked it
I think I read every single book by Andrew Rowe in less than 2 days, and it was no different with this one. For the first time though, I found myself putting it down at times and wishing for it to go faster. I read these books for the characters, and I will admit I don't understand every detail of the magic system. This doesn't normally take anything away from the story, but I found myself confused a few times in this book by how things worked, which might be because I read the last book some ti ...more
Vintagebooklvr
Oct 19, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
4 1/2 stars. I was up all night and day reading the latest installment of this wonderful series. It is a mashup of a progression, LitRPG and magical school novels without being pegged into anyone of those and the best of all of them.

Corin and friends have returned from their winter break that was filled with many challenges and surprising knowledge only to be confronted by Corin's father demanding a duel. Corin is able to put off the duel to the end of the new school semester but will that be en
Andrew Lukyanenko
Oct 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Adam
Oct 23, 2022 rated it it was ok
Adam Roberts
Oct 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
a great story with a terrible cliffhanger!

As usual I really enjoyed the book! But man that cliffhanger ending! My other complaint is that while Corin and Co are supposed to be growing rapidly in power, they’re still far behind the threats they face. It’d be nice to see them gain the power they need to actually take on these threats in a legitimate fight vs just getting themselves stomped over and over and only win by luck.
Ben Owens
Oct 18, 2022 rated it liked it
Don't touch me!

We get it, the main character doesn't like to touch or be touched. He doesn't need to go over it every chapter of every book at this point. If his antisocial behavior is not going to be considered a character flaw for him to overcome, then stop talking about it all the time

Also, several pages of discussion on the ethics of monster summoning was wildly unnecessary.

And lastly, the entire book is predicated on this nobles vs commoners setup, but somehow, it's never been discussed w
Andy Winkle
Oct 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, lgbtq
Andrew Rowe pulls no punches in AA4! Reading this book has been like going on an intense roller coaster at a theme park. Readers of this book will see characters reach new heights followed right behind by the depths of a plot that doesn’t stop revealing the complexity of this world. I highly recommend this book to any fans of Andrew Rower or Progression Fantasy lovers anywhere!
Matt Zibert
Oct 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Amazing as always

Loved this book. Some chapters closed but others wide open. Can not wait for the next book in the series!
Kenneth DSilva
Oct 25, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Really glad I re-read books 1-3 before staring book 4 in the Arcane Ascension series, since book 3 ended in a crazy cliffhanger. A duel. (Will avoid too many specifics to avoid spoilers, even though this book descriptions kinda talks about the duel itself). So we have the protagonist preparing for a duel that hangs like a shadow over most of the book. But that isn't even the greatest battle that takes place here, its not even the one with the most stakes. Theres some crazy action and development ...more
Steven Bothun
Oct 03, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Just wow.

This is an absolutely amazing addition to the series! Corin is starting to grow into a person that I don't think he would recognize. The rest of his team grows with him in very interesting ways as well. I read this non-stop and kept telling my wife "this is a good part, I'll stop soon!" Just for another good part to follow in it's wake. And the ending is unbelievable. I have no idea what's going to happen next, but I can't wait to find out!
Eli Sheppard
His best offering yet

Whilst Sufficiently advanced magic, the first in the series, has a special place in my heart for introducing me to Andrew Rowe's wonderful world, this book is the best so far.

I look forward to the next installment in this epic series!
Josh Trahan
Oct 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Oh my God! That's was great!

There was so much tension, so much stress throughout. And the FIGHT! The fights were amazing and wonderful and nail biting! So much lore drops too god it's was amazing. Keep up the amazing work good Sir.
Shaun
Oct 03, 2022 rated it it was amazing

Been waiting for a while for this one, and it was worth it. I’m not going to go into spoilers but the end of this book is comparable to the end of AA2, which is saying something! I’ll also say to not judge a book by its cover.

Already can’t wait for AA5, but at least the expanded universe book is coming out next month! Moar Attunements pls
Ford F
Oct 13, 2022 rated it liked it
Enjoyable Sometimes Despite Itself

Of course, I'm a fan of the series. I actually have preferred AA to Mr Rowe's "other" series Weapons and Wielders. That said, obviously I enjoyed the AA boom 4 read and I think anyone into progression fantasy would as well. However, it was tough to keep turning pages at times. This one and the last one in particular have gotten to feel a little like I'm getting tired of the same beating of the same drum. I get it. Keras is a tortured hero with his own demons and
Daylan Ethridge
Oct 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Right Back on the Horse

Mr. Rowe hits the ground running with tentioj the moment the recap is done until the last page is turned and plenty of answers inbetween... and they are the best kind of answers; the ones that raise further questions!
David
Oct 16, 2022 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing book. This series has so much potential but this book in particular has just gotten so heavy handed with the political messages that it has lost sight of actually being an entertaining read.
Bobsome
I still enjoy these books. I'm sure part of that is because it was one of the early entries I found in the progression fantasy genre. The parts I liked most was the tower climbing, and there's less and less of that. None in this book.
Combined with the narrative framework of telling the story, and the personality of the narrator, the books can be very dry, and unengaging. I still liked it, but it's not great.
Tushar Thakur
Nov 12, 2022 rated it did not like it
It's one of the worst books I have read in a long time. It's more of the book 3 and everything that I liked about book 1&2 was basically scraped. I was naively hoping that now that we are back on campus we will see more magic academy stuff the detour in book 3 was just that - a side adventure. But no, everything that i disliked about book 3 was dialed up to 11.

This book takes place over the course of Corin's 3rd semester and yet there is all of 1 chapter dedicated to going to classes And that c
Sundeep
Oct 06, 2022 rated it really liked it
As prepartion for this book, I re-read the third one. The plan was to read the third and fourth books during weekends, since I'd already consumed plenty of books in September and I had lots of work to do. As I crossed the halfway mark of the third book, I just couldn't stop reading. My work is now dented by two more days.

Overall, this book had all the things I love about this series. Corin learning and experimenting with magic (this invariably ends up energizing my own learning experience), lots
Timothy Ball
Nov 26, 2022 rated it liked it
A solid continuation, but hopefully a stepping stone toward better editions. Overall the worst Arcane Ascension book (which still puts it higher than some other series' best book on my lists). Nevertheless, less than what I expect from Rowe (or in this case, perhaps, more bad).
Pros:
- Interesting characters continue to be interesting
- Character(s) who are a crutch take a back seat
- The climax moves the story forward in a good direction
Cons:
- I'm going to couch this carefully... It is fair to
Holly
Nov 29, 2022 added it
I really enjoy these books

I found myself getting a little frustrated with AA starting with book 3. I liked it, but...where's the progression? Sure, Corin gets a little stronger. He learns about attunements. He does a lot of theorycrafting.

Same thing in book 4. Four books in and, compared to the wider world, Corin is basically an infant. Mysterious beings of unfathomable power exist, and he...is not at all in a hurry to catch up with them.

I like Corin. He's really smart. He wins a lot of fights w
The Dreaming
Oct 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Patrick
Oct 29, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Good addition to the series

After the last book being more like a side story than a full book, I’m happy the series is back on track.
Lots of cool action scenes, and the ending leaves you with a good conclusion but definitely more to come.
One criticism is there are constant references to the authors other books. I’ve given them a try but didn’t enjoy them as much as this series, and I don’t really want to continue with them, and it was frustrating for parts of the book that I felt like I was mis
Victoria Anderson
Nov 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Thankyou so much for your progressive world view

I love love love this series so much, it is hard for me to say goodbye at the end of the book. I just have to say I searched for progressive thinking fantasy on google (yes my searches are that specific and nuanced) and I was not led astray...from non neurotypical, well thought out and in depth characters, to fabulous pronoun conveyance...I was happily and gently brought into my ideal world. One that is accepting of others and doesn't assume a corr
Edozack95
Oct 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What and ending, and that cliffhanger.
After book three -that was still good but not on the level of like book 2-, this fourth book is fantastic. I read it in a couple of day and it's a really fun read, as always all the magic theory and the mind of Corin and how all it works is really fascinating.
For anyone that loved book 1-2 with this one you're in safe hands.
And finally, I must repeat myself because that ending was just perfect, the final battle in the book was brutal, meanignful and ope
Joe Collins
Absolutely love this book series. The best series for hard magic system, which immerses me into the story. Continued to get broader with the worldbuilding as well. Only negative, which is more of a personal preference, is (view spoiler) ...more
Clint Kauffman
Oct 26, 2022 rated it it was ok
By far Rowes worst entry into his whole universe. There has always been some preachyness in his novels but the characters and action has mostly lead the story. In this current novel the preachyness takes center stage and for the most part doesn't stop for 700 pages. I am all for social justice and equality but having it pounded into your brain over and over again just doesn't make for a very good novel.

If you have already read the other nine books in this universe then this book is probably wor
José Augusto  Martins Jr
Oct 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing
There are 3 major flaws in this book, 2 regarding fight scenes and the destruction of expectation and 1 that negates A MAJOR aspect of the MC behavior… for 3 whole books the MC has trouble with any sort of intimacy or touch, on book 4 he allows an external entity to do something unthinkable…

There is also something that kinda annoys me, is that when I pick a sci-fi/fantasy book to read after a difficult day, I want to escape reality… Andrew won’t allow you

But honestly, there are so many good thin
Hardwood
Oct 21, 2022 rated it liked it
The degree to which the author is obsessed with Keras is detrimental to the book and borderline embarrassing. We can't go ten pages without checking in with Keras, and what is Keras doing? Faffing about the house being mysterious. How many times do we have to listen to him hint at things that might be relevant half a dozen books from now? The author is so obsessed with Keras he wrote and entire second series about him and yet the main series is still centered entirely around Keras. We get it, yo ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Implode (The Completionist Chronicles, #8)
  • Defiance of the Fall 7 (Defiance of the Fall, #7)
  • The Samsara Crucible (The Menocht Loop #4)
  • Astral Threads (Guardian of Aster Fall #4)
  • Bondsfungi (The Weirkey Chronicles #5)
  • Mother of Learning 3
  • Mark of the Fool (Mark of the Fool #1)
  • He Who Fights With Monsters 7 (He Who Fights with Monsters, #7)
  • Soul Relic (Manifestation #1)
  • Fury (Unbound #4)
  • The Path of Ascension (The Path of Ascension #1)
  • Tongue Eater (Mage Errant, #6)
  • Awaken Online: Armageddon
  • The Hedge Wizard 2 (The Hedge Wizard #2)
  • Blackmist (My Best Friend is an Eldritch Horror #1)
  • The World Nexus (The Grand Game #3)
  • Dreadgod (Cradle, #11)
  • The Primal Hunter 3 (The Primal Hunter #3)

Arcane Ascension (4 books)
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
  • On the Shoulders of Titans (Arcane Ascension, #2)
  • The Torch that Ignites the Stars (Arcane Ascension, #3)

News & Interviews

“minimal conflict. Keras had told me that light also helped improve mental speed and clarity, implying some overlap with mental mana as well.” 0 likes
“she quickly went from “elegant noblewoman who could murder me without getting blood on her fashionable dress” to “elegant noblewoman who could murder me without closing the book she was reading”. A subtle distinction, really, but an important one.” 0 likes