Start by marking “The Guy Not Taken: Stories” as Want to Read:
The Guy Not Taken: Stories

The Guy Not Taken: Stories

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  21,806 Ratings  ·  1,157 Reviews

Jennifer Weiner's talent shines like never before in this collection of short stories, following the tender, and often hilarious, progress of love and relationships over the course of a lifetime. From a teenager coming to terms with her father's disappearance to a widow accepting two young women into her home, Weiner's eleven stories explore those transformative moments in
Published June 26th 2007 by Washington Square Press (first published September 5th 2006)

Feb 05, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Normally I'm a big fan of short stories... and normally I'm a fan of Jane Green. But these stories were just so unsatisfying, with goo short stories there's a quick punchy point made and a satisfying resolution to a conflict. All these stories with the exception of the first story were just quick conflict with no real resolution or sometimes a lame attempt at a resolution. The first story was told over the progression of three interrelated stories and in that sense it should've just been a book ...more
Angi Hurst
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was ok
Although I flew through the book (very easy reading), the short storylines all seemed to have the same gist. I really did enjoy listening to "Good in Bed" by Jennifer Weiner, but the style of these short stories is extremely reminiscent of that book and each other. The relationships of the main characters did not differ enough to really keep me captivated through to the end of the book.

My scale (since the speed of my reading is directly proportional to how well I like the book):

1 - couldn't get
Aug 06, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually love Jennifer Weiner books but this wasn't my favorite. It's a collection of short stories which almost all revolve around a young woman and her journey. Some of hte stories were good I really like "The Guy not Taken" and "Oranges from Florida" and the one where the girls "kidnap" the senior citizen. Weiner's writing is on target like usual catchy, funny and inviting. I think if you've never read one of her books this isn't the one to start with try "Good in Bed" or "In Her Shoes." But ...more
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, library, 2013
Before I get into this review too much, I have to say that I do not enjoy short stories. Personally, I like to see how characters develop & grow, and with short stories you don't get to see that.

That being said, this book was okay. I liked a few of the stories, and some of them I really didn't care for. These weren't all light-hearted, chick lit stories. Some of them dealt with some heavy issues.

I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys short stories/anthologies, but it will be a whi
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
Although the book cover clearly states "stories" I was a bit disappointed when the first story abruptly ended and never returned to those characters.
Josie is the eldest of 3 children which includes her sister Nicki (clearly a narcissist) and her brother Jon. In the beginning of the story, the mother is attempting to deal with the departure of her husband. The children deal with the same loss in a variety of manners: Josie accepts adult responsibilities and worries. Nicki becomes even more grues
Sarahlynn Lester
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know that Weiner is a good writer and storyteller, but I just never got around to picking up another of her books (or seeing that movie with Cameron Diaz) until this weekend, when I gobbled up The Guy Not Taken, a collection of short stories by Weiner.

They're good, and they deal heavily with two main themes: divorce and the difficulties of being a mother to a very young child.

Weiner describes The Mother's Hour as being "as close to a horror story as I'll ever come," a good description of one o
Nov 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
This is a book of short stories by Jennifer Weiner. I found it depressing and struggled to finish it. Stories involve: your husband doesn't love you anymore. Your boyfriend leaves you after getting what he wants from you. Your child that you desperately yearned for and did IVF for is a total brat that makes your life hell. You think you married the wrong guy. You work in a job you hate and feel like you've wasted your life. Your parents get divorced. Etc. etc.
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad story collection. I did enjoy most of them, but they felt incomplete. The few at the end were not great and I did not understand or connect with the characters.
I didn't realize when I grabbed it that it was a collection of stories and none of them ever really ended and so it drove me crazy. But it was ok.
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit-type
as with most collection of short stories, some of these were fun and enjoyable and some not so much.
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read short stories but excluding one, they were all interesting and easy for me to get into. I enjoyed this book as a change of pace.
Aug 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, reviewed
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Weiner's novels, but I think she really shines in this short story collection, which she amazingly started when she was only 18 years old. The characters are women in search of love, truth, purpose, trying to make the best of their often confusing, falling short of the mark lives. I liked Buyer's Market best of all and really enjoyed reading Weiner's author's notes at the end of the collection. She is easily one of the funniest, most empathetic voices in contemporary women's literature an ...more
I have read several of Weiner's novels and I was looking forward to reading this short story collection. Most of the stories in this collection were written before Weiner's novels were published. Overall, the collection was a let down. The stories bordered on being depressing and featured women who were unhappy with their bodies and/or their lives. Most of the stories left me feeling unsatisfied.
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these stories were ok but most of them were not. They were way to short (yes, I know that's the point of "short stories") but just when you start to get familiar with the Characters it abruptly ends. I wish she would have elaborated on a few of the stories and just gotten rid of the others. I'm usually a fan of Weiner but now I will know to avoid her short stories.
I like Jennifer Weiner's books, but this one is my least favorite. The book contains several short stories. They're not bad, but I just felt they're not quite finished. Some of then endings were kinda just left hanging.
Rebecca Einstein
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a huge fan of the short story. That being said -- I truly enjoyed these. But, as usual, was left feeling as though I'd invested time and heart into characters whose presence in my life was short-lived.
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good set of short stories.
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of short stories. The first three stories are about the same character, but they are all engaging and well written.
Jul 16, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish it. If you like short stories, than you will love this book. I don't and I didn't.
Alexandra Maffett
Aug 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Normally I enjoy her books, but I was not enthusiastic about this one. I got lost quite a few times. Def not her best!!
Rebecca Ray
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The Guy Not Taken is a collection of short stories written by famous chick-lit author Jennifer Weiner. I had actually read a couple of her novels a few years ago, so I was interested in seeing her approach to shorter fiction.

There are eleven short stories, and three of them are related in a story arc. All are painful. Most, if not all of the the stories, have absentee parents and heavily emotional divorces. This book is definitely a meditation on how divorce messes up families and how painful it
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this in audio book format and really enjoyed it. The reader was excellent and most of the stories were engaging. I didn't care for the one about the bachelor party. I think Weiner does much better writing from the female perspective. The story about the young woman who inherited her aunt's apartment in Manhattan was shocking. Soooo painful. Worth reading the book just for that story. It stayed with me for a long time. I also liked the first three stories about the family after the ...more
Claudia Cheyne
This was a collection of short stories along with personal thoughts from the author who shares the incidents that gave her inspiration for each of them. Jennifer Weiner creates memorable characters who stay with us even after the story is done. We meet people in many circumstances making life changing decisions, dealing with breakups and getting married. In "Dora on the Beach" two teenage sisters kidnap a senior citizen to be their "adopted" grandmother for a much needed vacation. Other situatio ...more
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, my first foray into Jennifer Weiner's repertoire has left me cold.

These short stories had extremely flat characterization, very low conflict, somewhat cliched narratives as well as dull resolutions.

The only thing that kept me from outright hating this book was that I acute liked her author's voice. So, I may give another book of hers a try. Maybe it was not the best format for her style. I won't know until I try one of her novels.

Judyw Winkleman
This book was interesting. It consisted of several short stories. Some of the stories had very odd endings. A couple stories seemed like a chapter of a book and someone forgot to finish a book. As I said, it was interesting, but I wouldn't really recommend it to others.
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually like Jennifer Weiner's books. Some of these short stories seemed disjointed or just suddenly ended. Sometimes I didn't even realize the next story had begun. Part of that might have been because I listened to the stories as an audio book. Won't be doing that again!
I always enjoy Jennifer Weiner. I tend to enjoy short stories a little less because it's just a glimpse and sometimes I want the rest of the story. These were good and made you think about them and the characters after done reading.
Debbie Tanguay
several short stories- they were decent but nothing special-
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the size of these stories. I read a story each night while the kids were slow putting their jammies on, and it was a lovely indulgence.
  • Slightly Engaged (Slightly, #3)
  • Straight Talking
  • Girls' Night In
  • Essays and Stories by Marian Keyes: Bags, Trips, Make-up Tips, Charity, Glory, and the Darker Side of the Story
  • Maneater
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • High Maintenance
  • Dedication
  • The Dirty Girls Social Club (Dirty Girls, #1)
  • Girls Night Out
  • How to Sleep with a Movie Star
  • Everything Nice
  • Hope in a Jar
  • Pink Slip
  • Mating Rituals of the North American WASP
  • Whose Wedding Is It Anyway?
Jennifer Weiner is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of fourteen books, including Good in Bed, The Littlest Bigfoot, and her memoir Hungry Heart: Adventures in Life, Love, and Writing. A graduate of Princeton University and contributor to the New York Times Opinion section, she lives with her family in Philadelphia. Visit her online at
More about Jennifer Weiner...

Fiction Deals

• Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Baker's Daughter
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Fire by Night
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“She hated the implied familiarity when customers requested things from her by name...” 7 likes