Start by marking “Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)” as Want to Read:
Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)

Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby #2)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  1,375 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
As Portia, Jason, and Jellaby continue their journey through the city of Toronto, Portia is torn between her friendship with Jellaby and her duty to help the sweet monster find his way back to his home. How can Portia say goodbye forever, when Jellaby has become her best friend?
But the clues leading them to Jellaby's origins begin to turn sinister. When a hooded wizard int
Published April 21st 2009 by Disney-Hyperion (first published April 1st 2009)

karen
May 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
i feel like i have been waiting for the second installment of this forever. and then of course i bought it the day it came in and read it in about 20 minutes. such fleeting pleasures. but i do love it. i first discovered him in the "flight" anthologies, and was glad he had longer-form books. just not enough of them. this is one of the cutest characters ever invented. merchandise it already!
Melissa Chung
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the sequel to Jellaby. It's a cute middle grade graphic novel about a little girl Portia who finds a monster in the woods behind her house. She ends up becoming friends with the monster. She also becomes friends with a boy named Jason who gets bullied at school. Portia sticks up for him. Portia shows Jason her monster friend and for a while they have fun together. But Jellaby is sad. He misses his home. Portia decides that she is going to take Jellaby back to his home. She thinks it migh ...more
Abby Johnson
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jellaby is just pretty much the cutest thing ever. :D
Gina
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This builds well on the first one. Jellaby is still a very endearing monster.

The way Portia and Jason fight is somewhat less endearing, but realistic. That they can flare up and regret it and help each other can be important reinforcement for younger readers.

Raises some thoughts about how damaging loneliness and grief can be; I may never get over baby Xolotl's abandonment. That led to a question of whether it wouldn't be better to share some things, like a daughter telling her mother that she fo
Bethany
I read these on recommendation from my 6-year-old stepson. He says "these are really good," and he is correct! I want 18 more volumes.
Lata
Sweet with some real darkness, Portia, Jason and Jellaby head to Toronto's CNE to help Jellaby find out where he might come from. There's lots of action along with sadness, danger and silliness.
Sam
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Huge thank you to Stone Arch Books and Netgalley for this ARC!

I was a huge fan of the first Jellaby graphic novel. If there's one thing Kean Soo knows how to do well, it's create humor without the use of dialogue. This definitely returns in the sequel, but Jellaby, Portia and Jason have to face some scary situations in this book, some which are quite terrifying.

I'm not going to sugar coat my feelings for this book. A lot of the reason why I loved this story was that it reminded me of my father w
I love Jellaby!!!

I got this second-hand because for whatever reason I couldn't find it in my local bookstore... they should really work on that!

And it was wonderful, I just love Soo's imagery and character voices!

This is from Volume One, but google is failing me....

I just LOVE him, that is all!!

Thanks for the recommendation, Karen & Erica :)
Matthew
Oct 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was a really great book, but there's one thing that made me give it a one star: THERE'S NO THIRD BOOK TO CLOSE OUT THE SERIES! It was just as good as the first, but there's so many hanging questions left. It's annoying me.
Marie  Low
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, kids
Wow this one was a lot darker than the first book! Action-packed! Had me gasping and crying out, "Oh no!" near the end. I was glad it was a happy ending though :)

There are still unanswered questions about where Jellaby came from and who he is... But the book is satisfying. TOO SHORT THOUGH! I want more!

Jellaby is SO CUTE I CAN'T EVEN HANDLE IT.

I like the realistic banter (and quarreling) between Portia and Jason. I also respect that a surprising depth of characters and serious background stor
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 4 stars
Art: 4 stars

Lots of action in this second series installment, but this graphic novel leaves off on a cliffhanger and there is no Book 3 of Jellaby.

In this story, readers meet a huge, adult Jellaby-like creature, raising many unanswered questions as to who/what Jellaby is. How many more are there? Where do they come from and why are they here? How did they get here? What do they want? Jellaby and the adult creature don't seem to be related. Does Jellaby have a family? If so, where a
Carlos
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this story there is a girl who is not exited for having school starting again so as she was waking up in the morning she saw this mysterious creature so she walked towads it and it was a giant purple creature. So she saw that she was hurt and started to help her and found out that she is really kind so whenever she has a problem in school she gets her giant pet and scares them away and the purple giant is always there for her. THis book is great and i recommened it to anyone who loves helpful ...more
Brownie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-school, teen
It was pretty good, I, of course, like this first one best but Jellaby is so cute and I'm a sucker for cute art haha the story was pretty good too, a normal story of a kid struggling with broken promises and not having a parent and trying to make friends and fighting off bullies and then some not so normal stuff because of Jellaby and sea monsters but because of the little stuff she fights off she was strong and determined to fight off the bigger monsters!
H
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet and satisfying conclusion to the story of Partia, Jason, and Jellaby. I'm only sad that there are no more stories about the gentle monster..... Students from those with very little reading to older students will love these two books. Give to grades 2-5, especially those who love graphic novels.
gara strot
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book it is so cute
Carol
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this, though not as much as the first one.
Amanda
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jellaby is my spirit animal, absolutely loved!
Monica Hocking
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Totally confused with the ending??
Engel Dreizehn
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-2017
Beautiful, cartoony, monochrome palette art style and story of two kids plus one dragon-dinosaur in the city of Toronto. Very exploring the relationships between friends whether it's human or dragon.
Sophie Rattanong
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fabulous series, can't wait to recommend it to parents with kids who are venturing into the comic book world.
Dayanna
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good
Emyrose8
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aww, cute! I want a third one...
Karissa
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got an ebook of this book from NetGalley to review. This is the second book in the Jellaby series. It continues where the first book left off. This was a cute little story that should appeal to younger readers.

Portia and Jason continue on their journey to get Jellaby to the city in hopes of finding his way home. Portia loves having Jellaby for a friend but wants to help him find his home too. Their search leads them to a circus where they meet a mysterious hooded man that seems to know about
Lisa Campbell
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book - graphic novel, fiction, series
Estimate of grade level of interest  - 3rd-8th grade
Estimate of reading level 8-12 years
Brief description - The second book in the Jellaby series, Portia and Jason are on a mission to help their friend Jellaby find his way home. A trip to Toronto gets dangerous when a tentacled creature under the streets of the city tries to ensnare them as permanent company.
Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre
É O'Conghaile
Aug 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
A waste of a potentially good story. Where the first was cute, a bit odd, and somewhat adventurous, this one was creepy, convoluted, inconclusive, and no fun. The first third or so was trying to retain some cuteness, but I was confused how the group could be so easily distracted by an amusement park (even if there was some good imagery out of that section).

The speed at which the story developed into something creepy and unsettling was rapid and disturbing. Anything the group learned from this po
Emilou
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bonnie
Feb 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like comics and dragons and Calvin & Hobbes
Yay! I'm so glad the second Jellaby finally came out. Portia, Jason, and Jellaby come closer to finding out where Jellaby is from, while Portia gets a chance *maybe* to confront her father, who has been missing for years but seems mysteriously connected to Jellaby's appearance. There's monsters, there's talking pigeons, and lots of carrots!

This was a fast-paced volume and it was over before I knew it. I really like how Soo shows Portia's strengths and weaknesses... she's so strong, but she's al
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
jellaby has gotten borrrrring. *gasp*

how could this ever be?

well, firstly, you have to factor in a reader who's lately got the attention-span of humming birds made of clouds in rainy seasons when storms abound.

then, you'll need an old framework for a story with sparse enchanting elements.

and then there are the requisite annoyingly good kids who fight, fight(in different contexts) and finally become friends again, the depravity they faced having renewed their bonds.

to be honest, the kids annoye
Andréa
While it's clear Jellaby: Monster in the City is not the first book in the Jellaby series, it is still possible to follow the story without having read the previous book.

Jellaby's great facial expressions make him/her an endearing character, and the simple purple/pink/orange color scheme is eye-catching without being overwhelming. As other reviewers have pointed out, there's a strong similarity between Kean Soo's artwork in the Jellaby series and Bill Watterson's classic Calvin & Hobbes seri
Becky B
Picking up right where the first book left off, Jason and Portia are taking Jellaby to the Halloween Fair downtown after Jellaby recognized a picture in the paper. When they get to the fair, the trio has some fun, Jason gets Portia to lighten up a little, and then they find the doorway they were in search of. What the doorway leads to, though, is quite unexpected (view spoiler) ...more
  • Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons (Owly, #3)
  • Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves, #1)
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn (Heavenly Nostrils, #1)
  • The Final Spell (Courtney Crumrin, #6)
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Magic Trixie (Magic Trixie, Vol. 1)
  • The Courageous Princess
  • Hilda and the Black Hound
  • Korgi, Book 2: The Cosmic Collector
  • The Shadow Door

Jellaby (2 books)
  • Jellaby (Jellaby, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • Strange Weather
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Dark Matter
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Deadmen Walking (Deadman's Cross #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hunted
  • Daughter of the Burning City
  • Wax
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence