Start by marking “Mommy Far, Mommy Near: An Adoption Story” as Want to Read:
Mommy Far, Mommy Near: An Adoption Story

Mommy Far, Mommy Near: An Adoption Story

Elizabeth, who was born in China, describes the family who has adopted her and tries to sort out her feelings for her unknown mother.
Published January 1st 2000 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about Mommy Far, Mommy Near, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mommy Far, Mommy Near

Mommy Far, Mommy Near: An Adoption Story / Peacock, Carol Antoinette. / 2000

Genre: Fiction

Format: Picture Book – print

Plot summary:
Elizabeth, who was born in China, tries to sort out her feelings as she learns she has two mommies: her adoptive American mother and an unknown mother in China.

Review citation:
K-Gr 4--With sensitivity and honesty, this book explores the feelings and questions a young Chinese girl has about having been adopted into an American family.
Christian Houseworth
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely narrative that showed the connection a child has with her birth mother and her adoptive mother. This is a non-fictional narrative and is told from the child’s point of view. The main character, Elizabeth, was born in China and expresses her feelings she has towards her birth mother. Although she did not know her birth mother, she developed a connection with her through the stories shared by her adoptive mother. This narrative would be great to help a child who has been adopted ...more
Janelle
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
This is as the title says "An Adoption Story." I like the concept of the mommy near and mommy far. I think it does a good job of explaining this particular adoption story, but isn't very universal. I picked it up thinking it may explain to non-adopted children about the concept, but I think it's better suited for children from an international adoption.

I think the "one child rule" is a difficult concept to explain to children (and for many adults to comprehend) It was also very specific to the
Abigail
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet story. I think it touched my heart so much because my own brother is adopted from Korea and deals with similar issues as the little girl in the story. I would definitely recommend this book; it might help adopted children deal with their situation, and it would probably help children who live with their biological parents to understand how adopted children feel.

The art is fairly realistic-looking, and I really like it, especially the painting when the two mommies' faces are in the t
Esther
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it
The text of this story is from the prospective of a young girl and the story seems a little choppy and the flow is kind of jilted pretty much how a child would tell a story. She seems to get older with each page and have the ability to understand more aspects about adoption. It touches on a lifebook (photo album).

Not bad but defintely not my favorite. Most likely won't make the short list.

It seems that a lot of the adoption picture books are about girls and a lot of those girls were adopted fr
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Elizabeth was adopted from China. This book shares her mixed emotions for her "near" mommy and "far" mommy. It can be challenging to understand feelings connected to the unknown...using Elizabeth's feelings as a discussion opener could help others in helping adopted children work through their emotions.

The text is a little long for younger children but the reader could modify the story to make the book work for a wide range of children.
April Scheivelhud
This is a very charming tale of a young Asian girl that has a heart to heart talk with her mom of being adopted. She starts to wonder about where her biological mom is, but in the end she hears the special song that her mom always sings to her to let her know that she will be loved forever by her.
Jodi Young
Great adoption story that helps understand more about adoption and family differences.
Kay Carman
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelley
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: family-dynamics
This is a book about adoption. The mother in the book is describing the mother who she adopted her daughter from. This book may be confusing for young students.
Cher
Kaye
Sep 28, 2011
Helen
Jan 09, 2011
I grew up in Maryland, in a suburb outside of Washington D.C. I am the oldest of three children in a family who loved books. I wanted to be a writer since I was eleven. Decades later, I am now a practicing psychologist and author of six books. I earned a BA at Cornell University, a Masters of Social Work from Columbia University and a Ph.D. in Psychology at Boston College.

My first book, Hand Me Do