Start by marking “Drops Like Stars” as Want to Read:
Drops Like Stars

Drops Like Stars

We plot. We plan. We assume things are going to go a certain way. And when they don't, we find ourselves in a new place---a place we haven't been before, a place we never would have imagined on our own.It is the difficult and the unexpected, and maybe even the tragic, that opens us up and frees us to see things in new ways.Many of the most significant moments in our lives ...more
Published July 28th 2009 by Zondervan (first published July 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Drops Like Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drops Like Stars

Trevor
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
First, I read the book in 25 minutes. The bulk of the pages are filled with photographs or one sentence paragraphs. I didn't feel like the photography added anything to the "experience" of reading the book - but I'm mostly a left-brained thinker with occasional (short-lived) jolts of right-brained creativity, so maybe I didn't appreciate the art like someone else would. Basically, if Rob Bell had a blog then the content of this book would only amount to a few posts.

Second, the content that IS in
Daniel
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
If I had read this book a decade ago, I would have thought it was absolutely brilliant, but I can no longer say that.

I liked the concept and the artistic nature of it. I liked a lot of the photography. I especially liked the bit about the experiment in the sculpture class in which students had to focus on either quantity or quality of works produced. That was brilliant.

However, one of the primary themes of this book no longer jibes with me. Yes, it is true that pain, suffering, and heartache are
Kelsey Whing
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rob Bell’s novel Drops Like Stars: A Few Thoughts on Creativity and Suffering is considered a coffee table book by trade, but it is not the usual large, spatial investment with pictures created to captivate and ensnare. He seeks to discover the art in the agony, and give the audience, “a few thoughts on suffering and creativity.” In his book, Bell explains in a raw and compelling fashion the six different “art forms” that suffering creates in a person. They are the arts of disruption, honesty, t ...more
Daniel
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book on sadness, pain and suffering. Reminding us in a visceral way that we're not alone, and that from those moments in life, something good can be born. It seems like a simple and short book---and it is. But, it is sometimes the simple things that can be most profound.
Sue
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, read-2015
The topic of this book is how suffering can enhance creativity. Not that the author puts it so directly. Instead he looks at scenarios of joy and grief, of life and death, both from Scripture and from contemporary times. He demonstrates how God can use our suffering to create something of beauty.

Rob Bell also talks about art in its many forms and shows how it is often able to speak more clearly to its audience when the composer has suffered and struggled, both in the production of the work and
Emily
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Short and to the point, yet Bell somehow manages to remain inspirational. Great read, wish it were longer.
Peter Tang
Jul 23, 2009 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: All People
“Drops like Stars” is Rob Bell’s newest book. It’s the biggest, heaviest, but the shortest read compared to his other books. This is not a book to rush but to sit and think.

Rob has caused people to question his theology. And it’s a valid thing to discuss but if you are reading this in order to prove Rob to be a heretic then I suggest you don’t read this. Because you will simply take art theory out of context and be making useless arguments that doesn’t do anything. We must remember that were no
Tyler
Aug 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Read this short coffee table book in about 30 minutes at Books-A-Million. I was hoping for more content, but from what I'd heard I wasn't expecting much more than what I got.

The quick read was enjoyable, thought-provoking (wouldn't expect anything from Rob that wasn't), simple, yet profound. In writing this brief review what comes to mind are those little signs that you see in random stores that say "Simplify" (which in a way is somewhat contradictory to its message seeing that you have to add
Longfellow
Sep 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I like Rob Bell, I say, having read this and Sex God. Might call this a kaleidoscope of ideas, or what's that other thing? A collage. Thoughtful profundities in an elaborate, over-sized, colorful, image-driven, text-light book. It's like 12" x 14."

So I liked it and the art of it and the power of the minimal text on the gigantic page and most of all the reminders of the truths that matter, but I was definitely glad the library had a copy.

My favorite snippets are these:
1. From Art and Fear by B
Ben Zajdel
Rob Bell has written a book about creativity and suffering. And it is probably one of the most creative books on the market. Those familiar with Bell's writing style won't be surprised much by Drops Like Stars. It's the same streaming thought, minimalistic writing that one has come to expect from the Mars Hill pastor. But the new twist is photography. This book is filled with amazing photographs and has a very original design.

The message of the book isn't bad, either. The book centers on suffer
Stephanie
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't remember if I would have given this 4 or 5 stars, but I'm always generous with Mr. Robell. As a layout enthusiast, I loved the way this read! The images were beautiful, as were the colors. Major props to the designer. It was a short read, only took about an hour or so, but very touching. It had simple ideas, nothing too ground-breaking, but was given to us in the famous Rob preacher voice that makes everything taste so good.

I think my favorite thing is that this is one of those project
Steven Fouse
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
"Drops Like Stars" by Rob Bell is a brief discussion of suffering and its role in creativity.

The Good: It's Rob Bell's thoughts on creativity and suffering!

The Bad: It's really, really short. Like, I-read-it-in-22-minutes short. It's not worth buying new.

The Ugly: Did I mention it's short? I read one chapter in less than a minute. It's really short. Don't buy it. I'll lend you my copy, and you can give it back to me later that day after you have read the whole thing.

I need to stop writing this r
Jasmine
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american
I like rob bell regardless of the fact that we disagree on everything important and metaphysical. This book is beautiful,it isn't pushy, and it goes against the normal "Christian" explanation of suffering. I was impressed, although it seem a bit f a waste of paper seeing how it doesn't have so many words.
Andrew
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is in my top three of Rob Bell books... I decided to read it again. I like this quote he gives from Abraham Joshua Herschel, and the direction it's heading: "Above all, remember that the meaning of life is to live it as if it were a work of art. You're not a machine."
Taylor Cole
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Classic Rob Bell is still my favorite Rob Bell. Give this dude an opportunity to pair visuals with his written/spoken word, and he'll make it work every time. His benedictions never cease to give me chills. 4/5 drops like stars
Joey Sudmeier
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite a short book due to its artistic and "coffee table book" format. It's hard for me to dislike anything Rob Bell puts out there. With that said, this book lacks the groundbreaking, earth shattering material that his other books (that I've read so far...) carry with them. From "Hell isn't real" (Love Wins) to "America is an empire and its fate is going to be the same as all other empires - destruction" (Jesus Wants to Save Christians) and his latest book that tackles a slew of misunderstood b ...more
Roberto
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Strong Opinion: The best book I have personally read. Made me think about my life and what I want in life. Changed my life after I read it.

Plot and Theme: This book is not a traditional book with plot and characters. It is a collection of stories of other people. Through hard times and even good times, you can get past things. Everyone has gone through tough times because of change or an event that occurs. It talks about how pain and suffering hurt the human spirit but it also creates life exper
Melinda
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read. "A few thoughts on Creativity and Suffering." This is a book you must read for yourself. I won't give away any quotes but it is a book I will reread several times... if you're looking for answers this is not the book for you... but if you are wondering about some things... this enhances the wondering...
Jenn
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rob Bell has the ability to ask the questions few other Christians dare to even go near. While there is a huge stigma around this writer in the Christian world. I believe that his books are an important read.
Hunter
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging, thought-provoking little volume. Contains many thoughts Bell incorporates into other works and would serve as an excellent introduction to his corpus.
Luca
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In makes you question and we need to question.
Dave Fillingame
Eric Hultgren
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book of his
Amanda Kingston
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
This is a very fast read-- about half an hour-- but full of good stuff on the relationship of imagination and suffering. If you have time, check it out! Or borrow my copy!
Carly Gordyn
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such simple, elegant (and rather amusing) writing on something otherwise so difficult for humans to come to terms with. I recommend this book for those trying to get comfortable with discomfort.
Jake Willems
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this little book about suffering.
Nick Henthorn
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I appreciated the artsy nature but wish he would've gone more in depth. He breifly introduces an idea and then moves on.
Gail Longton Harper
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, listen
It was a very pretty book to read.
Holly Weiss
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rec. C Logan. Loan to Kristen.
Joshua Skogerboe
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Drops Like Stars is brilliant. As an artist and a Pastor (and an Arts Pastor), Rob inspired me to think again about the significance of creative endeavor. He stirred me again to consider the importance of suffering. As a gift. And God meets us in the suffering and He is reflected through us in our creative endeavor. It is one of the most physically beautiful books I've ever held, and the design compliments, illustrates, and propels these themes with a genius use of white space and well chosen co ...more
  • The Orthodox Heretic And Other Impossible Tales
  • The Furious Longing of God
  • The Crowd, The Critic And The Muse: A Book For Creators
  • The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible
  • Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi
  • The Myth of a Christian Nation: How the Quest for Political Power Is Destroying the Church
  • Adventures in Missing the Point: How the Culture-Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel
Rob Bell is a bestselling author, international teacher, and highly sought after public speaker. His books include The New York Times bestsellers What Is the Bible?, What We Talk About When We Talk About God, Love Wins, as well as The Zimzum of Love, Velvet Elvis, Sex God, Jesus Wants to Save Christians, and Drops Like Stars.

At age 28, Bell founded Mars Hill Bible Church in Michigan, and under hi
“Pain has a way of making us more honest.” 4 likes
“It’s in that place that we’re reminded that true life comes when we’re willing to admit that we’ve reached the end of ourselves, we’ve given up, we’ve let go, we’re willing to die to all of our desires to figure it out and be in control. We lose our life, only to find it.” 4 likes