Jump to ratings and reviews
Cruel North is an angsty second-chance, enemies to lovers romance where the most hated man in the North Brothers world finally gets brought to his knees.

A teenage girl with my eyes and a familiar glare, strolls into my life and she’s calling me Dad.

Vanessa was my high school girlfriend and the smartest person I knew. She had a plan, a future, and she swore nothing would get in the way. Until she became pregnant. I thought we agreed on our plan. I sent her the money. Then she disappeared.

Her parents told me she was in South America for a year. They told me she needed space. I never heard from her again.

Seventeen years later and she’s back. I’m staring into those green eyes that used to tempt and taunt me. But it’s not just about us anymore. We have a daughter.

Wanting to get to know her, I convince them to move in with me for one month. I’m so angry with Vanessa and she seems to be equally upset. Every insult from her smart mouth invites me to engage. The brutal chemistry between us ignites old embers. I wish I could hate her. Instead, I want her.

But too much time has passed, and I fear some hurts run too deep to heal.
At the end of thirty days, I’ll have to let them go.
Unless I figure out a way to keep them.

388 pages, Kindle Edition

First published November 29, 2022

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

J.B. Salsbury

35 books5,334 followers
J.B. Salsbury is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author. She lives in Phoenix, Arizona with her husband and two kids.

Her love of good storytelling led her to earn a degree in Media Communications. With her journalistic background, writing has always been at the forefront, and her love of romance propelled her career as an author.

She spends the majority of her day behind the computer where a world of battling alphas, budding romance, and impossible obstacles claws away at her subconscious and begs to be released to the page.

Never miss a release:

For more information on
her books, or just to say hello, visit JB on her website, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

Web: http://www.jbsalsbury.com/
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JBSalsburybooks
T: https://twitter.com/JBSalsbury
IG: https://www.instagram.com/jbsalsbury/

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 124 reviews
November 13, 2022
Story: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Trope: second chance, secret baby
Angst: 😱😱😱
Smexy: 🔥🔥🔥

"𝘏𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘭𝘭."
"𝘐 𝘥𝘰... 𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘝𝘢𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘢, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘦."

Everything I wanted Hayes’ book to be! Absolutely loved every part of it!! Hayes North has definitely the most anticipate North brother since we met our cold hearted hero back in book one. I knew his story was going to be a doozy because you aren't that big of an asshole for no reason, lol. And boy, JB Salsbury did not disappoint. In Cruel North, Hayes finds out that his first love, Vanessa, his high school girlfriend, kept her pregnancy from him when she ghosted him 17 years ago. And he finds out when said 17 year old daughter, Haven, tracks him down and nearly shocks him into a heart attack.

Sooo many things I love about this book. It was well written and there really were no lulls in the storyline. I just absolutely love all the women in this series and Vanessa is probably my favorite heroine yet. Super smart with a sassy mouth that keeps Hayes consistently off center. Empathetic and willing to do anything for her daughter. I really liked how Hayes slowly transformed from the person we met in the previous books to the man he was meant to be the entire time. Still a bit of a prick, but tempered by the woman who is not intimidated by him and can keep him in check. The banter between them was laugh out loud funny. I also liked the fact that he was the one that bent for her and not the other way around. Just an all around great read and fantastic conclusion to a wonderful series.

Cruel North is the 4th book in the North Brother's series by JB Salsbury. It can absolutely be read as a standalone, but is best enjoyed when read in series order. It is told in first person, from dual perspective.

⛔️ My bookshelves can sometimes be spoilers
Profile Image for Bookgasms Book Blog.
2,715 reviews1,266 followers
Oh. My. Word.

My heart was not prepared for Hayes North. I knew I was going to love this story. I knew I was powerless against a real grump with a heart of gold. Even still – there was no way to prepare for all the ways Hayes was going to wreck me.

I adored this man. I loved everything about him. I loved his cutting, spiky, outer shell and I loved the ooey gooey goodness it was hiding even more. But nothing, nothing was sexier than watch Hayes become a dad. And not in the usual way, where a man cuddles a baby and ovaries explode. This was man parents a young adult and the way he grew into it was just…guh. My ovaries did not escape unscathed. It completely stole my heart and I can’t remember the last time I loved a hero so fiercely.

I loved the sparky chemistry between him and Vanessa. I loved the way she called him on his nonsense, and he gave her a safe place to be vulnerable. I loved their whole dynamic. Vanessa, sometimes, really made me angry. There were moments where I nearly couldn’t stand the way she was treating my beloved Hayes. But in the end, I really loved the little family unit they formed and the way their story played out.

I have adored this series from the very first page of the very first book and I’m sad to leave the North brothers behind. J.B. Salsbury did a fantastic job of wrapping things up and showing how much they all grew and evolved over the course of the series. This was the perfect capstone, and my heart could not be happier with this finale! ~ Shelly, 4.5 Stars
Profile Image for Kahea.
2,002 reviews102 followers
November 29, 2022
***5 Stars***

I gotta say. I freakin’ adored this book. I was a bit wary of it because it is Hayes’ book and he hasn’t been the easiest of the brothers to like, but from page one, I was all in and this book gave me everything I didn’t know I wanted when it came to Hayes and then some.

Ok. Is it absolutely horrible that part of my enjoyment of this was watching Hayes lose his ever loving mind as his world went sideways? Yes? No? Maybe?...I think most would say a big ole “Hell No” He hasn’t been my favorite, but he has been the most fascinating and FINALLY getting to see behind the asshat grumpy control freak exterior was absolutely satisfying in every way and I will say, in the end, I fell for the man hard. Vanessa is AMAZING. Determined, feisty, snarky, witty…she is simply impressive. And…well…Haven gives them both a run for their money.

As for their second chance…it was kind of everything. Frustrating, heart warming, heart breaking, hilarious and filled with all kinds of chemistry. Neither handled the “opps, I’m pregnant” thing and when they collide as adults, let's just say it’s not the happiest of reunions. But even as they stumble through their forced reunion, the chemistry between them burns bright and it’s easy to see how they could be more to each other if only they’d get out of their own ways. And while there was a good bit of eye rolling, there was also laughter and swoonyness and I love how everything worked out in the end.

While this is the last book for the North Brothers, I’m really hoping that it isn’t because I need more of all of them (sans August of course). I thoroughly enjoyed how they rallied around Hayes (even though it agitated him to no end) Vanessa and Haven and really want to see how their relationships evolved, especially as newer members are added to the family.

~ Copy provided by SBPR & voluntarily reviewed ~

Profile Image for Betül.
970 reviews233 followers
November 24, 2022
**ARC provided in exchange for an honest review**
description

Hayes story was one of my most anticipated ones the moment I met him Wild North. He is such an arrogant and horrible person in the previous books. So I couldn't wait to learn more about him and see him fall in love. I wanted to know more about his background and find out why he hates the world. The story starts off where it left off in the previous book with Haven, a teenage girl, claiming to be the daughter of Hayes. I couldn't wait to see how Hayes would handle this and I wanted to know what type of relationship he had with Haven's mother. Haven really was the perfect combination of Hayes and Vanessa. She is pretty sassy and speaks her mind.

"You've always been my ideal."

Hayes is like a fish out of water and I loved seeing a different side to his very confident and mean side. However, he never got over his first love Vanessa and seeing her again and finding out they share a daughter brings back all kinds of feelings. I loved seeing a softer side to Hayes and it was obvious he would do anything for his family. Vanessa made me mad a couple of times but I could understand her hesitation and be afraid of getting hurt. In most romance novels the heroine makes sacrifices but I was happy that Hayes made them as well. I really enjoyed this steamy second-chance contemporary romance. I am sad this is the last book in the series. I really hope Jamie will write a novella updating us on what all the North brothers and their partners are doing in the future.
Profile Image for Amanda (Romance Reviewed).
655 reviews30 followers
November 20, 2022
(ARC Review) 3 stars

This was a second chance romance between Hayes North, brother of the heroes in the rest of the series, and Vanessa, his high school love.

Brought together by the daughter Hayes didn’t know he had, their relationship sure was fiery as they became reacquainted eighteen years after their breakup. (To be clear, Hayes not knowing about their daughter was both of their faults- though technically this is a secret baby romance (or secret teenager), it’s not quite the normal set up).

The majority of the book was them fighting, then making up (with sex). It did get a little repetitive- Vanessa would pick a fight, Hayes would get defensive, and then they’d bang. Rinse and repeat. I could definitely see someone else enjoying this! The steam was great.

I’ve been wondering how Hayes could be redeemed after being a monumental a-hole during the whole series. He was mean, malicious, and an all around bully throughout the other books so I was kind of bummed that this book… he was kind of nice. Sure he was mean to his secretary but a total pussy cat to his heroine and kid. He was even nice-ish to his brothers. He was such a softy to his daughter and it was hard to reconcile with the Hayes of previous books.

Overall it was okay! I didn’t hate it, it just didn’t live up to me what I thought Hayes had the potential for. I enjoyed his interactions with his brothers more than his romantic relationship.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for AJ.
2,802 reviews913 followers
November 19, 2022
5 stars!

The fourth and final book in the North Brothers series, J.B. Salsbury has delivered a wonderous feat… she made me fall in love with the bad guy! Snarky, misunderstood Hayes finally meets his match (actually, two of them), when his previously unknown 17-year-old daughter comes barging into his world, bringing with her a blast from his past. This is a gorgeously emotional second-chance-romance that is fun and feisty, with all the feels, and I loved it!

You don’t have to have read the earlier books in the series to enjoy this one, but I would recommend it, because the build-up has been fantastic. The earlier books in this series left me hating Hayes so much, but it’s been a while since I read them, which means I had forgotten a lot of the specifics of his heinous behaviour before starting this one. Generally, the man is an a-hole. But seeing him here, in such a vulnerable position, learning more about him and watching him interact with Vanessa and Haven… bravo J.B. Salsbury, she made his snark almost endearing.

Hayes is a corporate lawyer whose work is his life. But his perfectly ordered world is thrown upside down with the arrival of a sassy 17 year old declaring that she is his daughter. Being a millionaire, he’s understandably sceptical, but when he learns that Haven’s mother is none other than his childhood sweetheart and first and only love, Vanessa, suddenly everything changes.

Vanessa is a fiercely proud single mother who bought Haven up all on her own after she and Hayes broke up and her family disowned her. She’s super protective and has put up huge walls to protect herself and her daughter, and when she learns that Haven has run off to New York City to meet her father, she immediately follows, bringing her face to face with the man that she feels let her down so long ago.

Hayes and Vanessa’s beginning was fun and sweetly romantic, but it ended in a heartbreaking mess. As teenagers, she was the only one that stood up to his arrogance, and he loved it. They had a feisty, argumentative dynamic, and they loved each other fiercely, passionately and intensely, and were completely devoted to each other and planning for a future. Their break up was a caused by a series of misunderstanding for which they were both at fault, and seeing each other again brings all of those feelings rushing back to the surface. And from the intensity between them, you know it’s going to be an epic ride, especially when Hayes convinces the girls to stay with him for a month so that he can get to know Haven better, and they move into his apartment.

Second-chance-romances are my favourite, and this book is an example of why. The attraction, the anger, the grief, the love, the pain, it’s all there, and I was feeling it right along with Hayes and Vanessa as they are confronted with the past, finally discover the truth of all that happened between them to tear them apart, and then are faced with the prospect of coming together again as adults, still with so much emotion between them. It’s epic!

Given the complexity of their circumstances, there is SO much hurt and anger there, and I completely understood what they were feeling. But underneath it all, their attraction is still very much alive, and they initially hate that they want each other so much, but as they start to spend time together and talk about the past, old emotion resurfaces, and they are able to start dealing with it and move forward.

“Is that what you remember about us? Pain?”
“Mostly, yes. Because I had to hold onto it to make me stronger. The angrier I was, the more I wanted to prove I could raise her on my own.”
“Jesus, Ness.” He runs both hands down his face … “I’m so fucking sorry you had to do this alone.”

Amidst all of the emotion, there’s lots of light and fun moments. Firstly from Haven, who is a perfect blend of both of her argumentative parents, and Hayes finds himself in the position of having two women in his life snarking back at him.

I shoot her a look and recoil when I come face to face with an even fiercer glare. Good god, I should’ve known Ness and I would make a fierce-as-fuck kid.

And then we get to see the playful side of Hayes come out when he and Vanessa fall into the familiar rhythm that was all theirs, and I loved seeing him tease and flirt!

“You’re wearing sweatpants.”
“Not what I was expecting.”
“And…” her gaze darts between my legs before jumping forward to the skyline. “I don’t know if dudes know what wearing sweatpants does to their…their…”
“Dicks.”
“Yeah.”
“We know.”
She jerks her heard around. “You do?”
I smirk.
Her eyes narrow. “That’s just mean.”
“Mean? Or effective?”

Despite their murky past, there’s so much chemistry between these two, and the sexual tension is fantastic! Their reunion quickly turns steamy, and with all of that passion, they find themselves falling for each other all over again… not that they never really stopped. It’s hot and steamy and full of emotion, and so much beautiful swoon!

I rest my forehead against hers. “Vanessa … I have always loved you … I will always love you.”

But their lives could not be more different. And with Vanessa and Haven in town for only one month, there’s a lot for the newly-formed family to figure out when it comes to their future.

I loved this book. It’s beautifully emotional and wonderfully romantic, with lots of light and funny moments that keep it all really entertaining. Hayes’ brothers and their girls are all a big part of the story, and I loved seeing all of their interactions. But the highlight of this book of me is seeing Hayes so easily brought to his knees by the women in his life. His growth as a character is really well written, and even though I may not have thought so earlier in the series, I loved seeing him get his HEA.

There is a wonderful epilogue that finishes off the series beautifully, but there is an opportunity there for more books, and I’d definitely love to read more. But I was completely satisfied with how this one ended, and loved this book, and the series, so much.

5 stars!

An Advanced Review Copy was generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Profile Image for T'Odes.
894 reviews2 followers
December 1, 2022
Boring. For a kid raised by a single mum, this one is spoilt and entitled. Flipped chapters at a time.
Profile Image for Maureen.
1,031 reviews32 followers
November 27, 2022
In ‘Cruel North’ we read the story of Vanessa and Hayes. Vanessa and Hayes met in High School and fell madly in love with each other. Vanessa was the only one that never took any crap from Hayes. But when Vanessa gets pregnant, Hayes things he does the right thing for both of them by sending her on her way with some money. Now years later, a beautiful 17 year old girl stand in front of him. And he definitely can’t deny she looks a lot like him.

Even after so many years apart, the chemistry between Vanessa and Hayes is instant and hard to deny. But there is so much hurt between them, that it’s hard for them to even be in the same room for longer than a view minutes. But Hayes is determined to get to know the young woman that looks like him, even if that means he also has to spend time with her mom.

From the moment I started reading ‘Cruel North’ I was hooked. It has been the same way for me with every book in this series. I just love these grumpy, complicated North brothers so much. And Hayes was definitely the one I was curious about the most. And it didn’t disappoint one bit.

I loved getting to know Hayes better. But I especially loved getting to know Vanessa, the one woman who has always been able to put him in his place. Vanessa was one tough, hardworking woman. She was determined to be the best mom she could possible be at a very young age, without the help of anybody. And I loved how she stood up to every arrogant guy out there. Sure, there were moments that I wished she was a little more ‘open’. But I loved her.

The chemistry between Hayes and Vanessa was simple amazing, and something that was flying from these pages right from the start. Sure Hayes could be kind of a jerk, but he also had this charm about him that made me love him right from the start. And in the end we learn there is so much more about him than expected. This story definitely made me swoon a bit.

‘Cruel North’ was another fantastic read by J.D. Salsbury. I read this book in only a day, and I wished it was longer. It just wasn’t ready to stay goodbye to these characters. Definitely another favorite for me.
Profile Image for Karen Mc .
910 reviews724 followers
November 18, 2022
“Looking at me repairs something in his soul. Brings healing to something broken.”

Holy wow! JB Salsbury saved the best book for last in the fiercest of series finales! Cruel North was an addiction I couldn’t put down! The heart-hitting, angst-bleeding writing sucked me in—my emotions raging with these characters—as I reveled in this roller coaster of a romance that’s pure pleasure.

The fourth and final installment of the North Brothers series features the brother that romance lovers been craving: Hayes, the broody twin and handsome hero with a hidden heart. Readers will bask in this redemption romance, finally seeing this surly hero in a different light, and his perfect gray sweatpants definitely help highlight part of the big picture. Hayes went from the smug jerk you want to smack the smug to the sweetest, smoldering snack … oh so yummy!

The heroine and their little lady made the hero the best version of himself. I loved seeing Hayes morph from mean to melt-worthy. Vanessa is strong and stunning, the only woman who can bring Hayes to his knees. Vanessa and Hayes were created for each other with combustible chemistry, an undeniable connection, dominating personas, an and magnetic pull that ensnares your in their spell.

Second-chance romance is my kryptonite and Cruel North didn’t disappoint. Mesmerizing.
Magical. Meaningful. This love story seduced me, casting a spell, as it wrapped me up in a heart-pounding hurricane. The best fusion of fire and ice that made me melt. Hypnotizing and heartfelt, this is the perfect second chance romance that sinks its teeth into your soul. I was so swept away by this love story!

Cruel North is another sparkling gem in the enamoring North world. Salsbury slays this story and series, delivering another all the feels masterpiece of a romance with a memorable family of characters that feel like home. I’m not ready to say goodbye to this epic series about family, friendship, and forever love.

💋💋💋💋💋 melt-worthy kisses

➡️ https://amzn.to/3URFNws

Reviewed on behalf of Bookalicious Babes Blog
Profile Image for Anne .
908 reviews
Ahh Hayes!!!

He's my most h@+ed North brother but he was also the one I'm most curious about... the question "Who hurt you?" was always floating in my mind whenever I come across him in the previous North brother books—so now, we know why.

My fave North brother was always Alex... but now, now it's Hayes! I always knew his story was going to be riveting. From the first page alone, I knew I couldn't put the book down—that it was going to be an all-nighter. I also never thought it was going to make me tear-up...

I wish there was more about them when they were younger... I would've wanted to read more about young Vanessa and young Hayes... like, does she watch his games, jealousy towards other girls or boys, go on dates...you know, high school stuff...

I totally recommend! Love, love, love Hayes!

And now I'm curious whether there will be a book about Haven and the bodyguard, James... Age-gap, forbidden romance type... like a spin-off---Forbidden North.... just throwing this idea out in the universe!haha

Profile Image for lowkeyreader.
3,726 reviews33 followers
November 30, 2022
Vanessa and Hayes' tension and angst between them are just unbelievable. I didn't like Hayes in the previous books and I had no expectations of his story but still, I was intrigued. And oh my, I was glad to have read it. It is long but I couldn't help but read it. Mainly because of Vanessa. I loved her and the way she is with their daughter, Haven. And I could see how in awe Hayes is with Vanessa at those moments too. I would've loved more flashbacks into their past though. I think that would give more backstory on how their relationship was then. But still, I enjoyed this ending to the series.
Profile Image for Brianna at Renee Entress's Blog.
3,646 reviews111 followers
December 2, 2022
4 Stars!

JB Salsbury is back with a brand new book in her addicting North Brothers series and y'all this beauty right here was real good with one unforgettable couple. JB usually gives me an exhilarating ride in her books and this was no different.

Cruel North is Hayes and Vanessa's story and whoa. This book right here explains so much giving us a deeper glimpse into Hayes and his lost one in so many ways. Their story is twisty, intense, steamy, and packed with allllll of the feels in the best and worst ways. I didn't put this book down for a moment and gahhhhh, my heart.

This series has been suuuuper good so far and a little different for JB but y'all, in such a good way and if you haven't read it yet then you are missing out on these guys in a real way.

I can't recommend this author and series enough.

Reviewed for Renee Entress's Blog.
Profile Image for Wicked Spines.
236 reviews4 followers
November 20, 2022
Thank you JB Salsbury and Social Butterfly PR for an ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.

I will be the first to say that I could NOT stand Hayes throughout the first three North Borthers books. He was arrogant, callous, and just made everyone miserable when he was around. I wasn't sure how he would ever redeem himself, but I had faith that JB would make me change my mind... she did!

Even in this book, Hayes starts off as an unfeeling bastard, but boy does his past come back to haunt him. He's thrown into a situation that he never thought he'd find himself in, being a dad to a teenager and realizing that he made the biggest mistake of his life by walking away from his highschool sweetheart in her time of need. One thing I will say is admirable about Hayes is that he will not lie to people. He doesn't sugar coat the truth and he admits when he's made a mistake. This book was such a wonderful redemption of his character and in the end he became the biggest marshmallow of the bunch.

Vanessa is the spitfire that is the only person to ever tame Hayes North and it's obvious why. She stands her ground, puts her daughter's needs first and even though her heart is involved, she won't be blinded by lust. She's just like all of JB's other female characters in regards to how amazingly they are written. She was the reason that Hayes was finally able to embrace the good man hidden inside.

This was the perfect conclusion to this series and my only regret is that August didn't get knocked out completely, but hey maybe I'm a bit more violent than JB Salsbury. I've loved them all and would love to come back to this world in the future.

As with most books I loved, I found quotes that hit me on a different level and this book had some that made my insides mush and also had me chuckling while reading.

"It's fine, Ness.' Easier for me to keep an eye on him if he's under my roof. 'You're welcome to stay, Maggot." Vanessa's eyes grow big. 'It's Taggart.' 'Isn't that what I said?"

"I move my hand to her hip and feel the striations of pale stretchmarks. 'Your body is a fucking miracle machine, Ness, you grew a baby in here.' I press my forehead against her shoulder and mutter the words I want to so badly to say. 'Our baby."

"Let me be clear... I want to marry you, Ness. I want to make your morning tea and take out the garbage. I want to fight with you about what we have for dinner and kiss you when you're angry. I want to sit on a porch with you and... and,' his brows come together, 'I don't know, do what people do on porches."

"Real legacy isn't the mark you make in this world. Real legacy is the mark you leave on the hearts of those you love."
Profile Image for Marta Bo.
758 reviews8 followers
November 28, 2022
North Brothers and JB Salsbury are coming back with the best conclusion ever in series. Hayes North got everything, what he'd deserved (plus tonsss of extras in the meantime 😜) - Karma is a bch, People! And those words couldn't be more accurate here, lol.

It's not a secret how much I loved this series, and how impatient I was, waiting for Hayes' story. For all books in this series this a-hole was literally begging to kick him hard in certain body parts and I couldn't wait for his downfall.

Today, knowing his story, I'm more than satisfied. JB Salsbury delivers exactly this kind of book, I was waiting! Cruel North was amazing from the very first pages. It's funny, emotional with one of the best banter, I've ever read. Hayes was really hard to handle, but he didn't expect, that his first love will come back in a mic dropping style. It was exactly that, what I was waiting for the whole series- Hayes North had been taken down by a fragile, beautiful girl!

I always thought that Alex is the biggest grizzly in this family, but You just wait to see how Hayes falls in his craziness because of... love. It was not only totally enjoyable but also adorable. I don't want to give any spoliers, but this girl, he loved for the whole time, is the most perfect rival for him. He needs to work hard and win her love back. I really, really cannot wait when You all find out how amazing this book is.

#DoNotWasteTime - GRAB CRUEL NORTH WHEN YOU ONLY CAN !!!!
Profile Image for Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’.
2,836 reviews2 followers
November 30, 2022
4.50 Stars

This story really made me too anxious. I was just irritated the whole story through. I think the only one I actually liked was Hayes. And I definitely am reading the previous stories in this series. Not that I missed anything out, just that the other brothers made me want to read their stories 😊

Hayes and Vanessa fell in love when she was the only one who didn’t bow down before the big man on campus. They were inseparable after that one confrontation. But then something went wrong. Vanessa got pregnant and after she told him and he wasn’t too happy about it, she left. Now its 17years later and guess who went looking for her dad. Haven, his daughter.

The story was good, no doubt about it. The thing I was just irritated with was Haven. Man I really felt like she was a spoilt brat. And Vanessa I felt like she didn’t give Hayes a chance to be involved in his daughter’s life. Maybe it was too late for him to be a dad but at least he could be her friend. I think she let her emotions cloud her judgement. Hayes was arrogant and in the beginning just a terrible person. But the more time went by the more you see how he wanted to be involved with his daughter and maybe get back together with Vanessa. All in all I enjoyed the story. I loved the other characters in the story and definitely going back to read their stories. I haven’t read a JB Salsbury story in a while and definitely hit the mark for me 😊

Read on behalf of
Fay’s Corner
Profile Image for MissPetiteBrunetteBookBlog.
908 reviews165 followers
November 14, 2022
The grumpy North brother is ready to meet his match..in his long lost daughter and his lost love…the one who got away. Vanessa Osbourne was his everything until she disappeared. When a girl claiming to be his daughter shows up he is shocked and hurt by the betrayal he now must face. Can Hayes ever forgive his ex Vanessa for keeping such a secret from him? Maybe it’s time for this ruthless North brother to finally find happiness. This is told with glimpses of the past so you know their full story. I love this whole series and you’ll also finally understand why Hayes is the stern one. The love hate relationship these two have is brilliantly balanced with one feisty teen! Their banter is perfectly timed and the scenes with his brothers are hilarious. Hayes will have you swooning for his grumpy soul! Such a great romance for fans of enemies to lovers and second chances. Top Read of 2022! Told in dual POV.

Teaser
📸 Teaser Collage by Miss Petite Brunette Book Blog
Profile Image for Lisa Stinson.
987 reviews12 followers
November 29, 2022
I really enjoyed reading about Hayes and Vanessa. My emotions were truly all over the place while reading this story. There were times I was mad and upset with everyone and then other times I could totally understand where each person was coming from.

Once Hayes wrapped his head around the fact that he was a father, he definitely wanted to take the time to get to know Haven. I felt so bad for him because it felt like he was being punished so many times for not being there for Haven or Vanessa, but he had no idea Haven even existed. He missed so many years of her life because he was never told about her. His feelings for Vanessa were still there, he had just buried them all these years. But deep down, she was the missing piece of his life.

Vanessa bothered me more than I hoped she would. She was an amazing woman having to raise a child all on her own, but that was also a choice she made. She could have eventually gone to Hayes and let him know about Haven. She chose not to. My biggest issue with her was in the way that she dealt with Haven from time to time. This girl was only 17 but acted like she was completely grown and able to make all her own decisions. I can understand letting her make her own mistakes from time to time, but she also needed to be her mother and not her friend. She just gave her too much leeway for me.

I was glad when Hayes and Vanessa finally got their issues worked out and realized what they could have with each other. I have really enjoyed this series with the North brothers.
Profile Image for AJ's book-reMarks.
1,196 reviews34 followers
November 15, 2022
Cruel North by J.B. Salsbury is my introduction to this author's work, and I must say that I have already purchased Wild North and will be checking out the other North Brother books. It's that good!

Vanessa Osbourne, the daughter of Mayor Nicolas Osbourne, went to a private school where she met Hayes North. Hayes was a year ahead of her, but since Vanessa was an overachiever and a fabulous student, she took AP classes, and that is where they met. Hayes played hockey and was planning on going professional.

This story is about second chances and a secret child, and it has all the angst and sarcasm. Highly recommend reading this story.
3.5 Stars

I loved redeemable Hayes but Haven was an entitled brat and just a lil sh*t! Vanessa was bitter til the end and nothing kills it for me than overly feminist. Like dude… not everything has to offend your feminine wiles! Ugh… she was
She was so mean to Hayes and I get Hayes is a bully, he isn’t to her or Haven, ever soooo why the need to be such petty Betty’s.

But I read it because I wanted to know his story and I knew JB would do something and she did but personally, Ness needed a bigger slice of humble pie IMHO
Profile Image for Lora.
1,322 reviews8 followers
December 4, 2022
Would have been 5 stars if Vanessa took more responsibility for her actions. I felt all the blame was put on Hayes when Vanessa should have shared that honor.
November 25, 2022
Oh, Hayes.....I have been waiting and waiting for your journey and it is very much everything I hoped it would be. My most favorite grouch finally finds his way down the path to love and I was 100% here for it! This was a second chance romance full of emotion, a secret baby and a sprinkling of angsty deliciousness. It takes a special kind of woman to capture the heart of our most crabby North brother. And I'll tell you, Vanessa does not put up with any of his attitude. Their dialogues were always so entertaining and Hayes' soft spot for Vanessa ( and his daughter) was downright swoony. Overcoming years of hurt and emotional pain? Not easy, but the journey to healing and reconnecting to their love for each other was believable and well-executed by the author. I have really loved all of the brothers North but I think no-longer-so-grumpy Hayes may be my new favorite.

~Jamie 💜
Profile Image for Stephanie.
902 reviews102 followers
November 28, 2022
The meanest North brother finally gets his long awaited romance! I devoured this as soon as it landed on my kindle. My jaw was still on the floor from the revelation from the previous book, so I couldn’t wait to read it. I loved everything about this, from the sassy daughter, to the romance, to all the moments with the rest of the North clan. I’m sad this series is over; it definitely was one of the best I’ve read in a long time!

ARC received in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog).
4,909 reviews153 followers

Amazon / Amazon Worldwide / Apple Books / Nook / Kobo

Hayes workaholic life is upended when a sassy 17-year-old comes into his life and claims to be his daughter. There's no way it's true, but when she tells him her mom is his first (only) love, Vanessa, suddenly he's seeing things a whole lot clearer. But he's so angry that Vanessa kept his daughter from him that when he suggests they move in with him so he can get to know Haven, that anger just might be the biggest obstacle to the second chance his heart really wants. Can they both get past all the pain and anger and let love back into their lives?

Vanessa may have had to raise Haven all on her own, but now her only love is back in their lives, asking for a chance. Should she give it to him? She's unsure if her heart can take the pain it's endured for so long, but soon the close proximity is doing things to her and she's right back where she was when they were in the throes of first love. If she opens herself up she just might have the future she envisioned all those years ago.

I knew Hayes' backstory was going to be heartbreaking. His grumpy, OK, downright cruel, manner didn't come from nowhere, he had to have been hurt or experienced something terrible, to make him that way. And he definitely had experienced the thing we all dread - losing the love of his life. Reading as he fell in love with his daughter, and realized he had never fallen out of love with Vanessa was painful at times, but so satisfying. I love that all their snark at each other was magnified within their feisty, tell it like it is daughter, that they had never stopped loving each other, and I especially loved how Hayes changed, allowed himself to warm up to love and life again, and finally found the happiness they had been denied all those years ago. JB definitely saved the best North Brother for last.

ARC provided by Social Butterfly PR for an honest review.

Review / Release Blitz: Live Through Books Blog.

Blog | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Bookbub
Profile Image for Sandy S.
6,192 reviews152 followers
December 1, 2022
4.25stars—CRUEL NORTH is the fourth instalment in JB Salsbury’s contemporary adult THE NORTH BROTHERS erotic, romance series. This is thirty-five year old attorney Hayes North, and thirty four year old single mother/app developer Vanessa Osbourne’s story line. CRUEL NORTH can be read as a stand alone without any difficulty. Any important information from the previous instalments is revealed where necessary.

Told from dual first person perspectives (Vanessa and Hayes) CRUEL NORTH focuses on the second chance romance and relationship between Vanessa Osbourne and Hayes North. Vanessa Osbourne and Hayes North were high school sweethearts. Hayes wanted to be a professional hockey player, and Vanessa wanted to delve into computer technology but a surprise pregnancy was something neither expected, and Hayes was in no position to become a young father. Fast forward to present day wherein, Hayes is blindsided with the appearance of Haven, a seventeen year old young woman claiming to be his daughter, a daughter he never knew existed. Vanessa Osbourne never told her daughter the truth about her father, but a box full of heart breaking memories becomes the catalyst to push Haven to go in search of the father she knew nothing about, a father who now lives and works in New York City. With her daughter searching for Hayes, Vanessa goes in search of the daughter whose heart she broke. What ensues is the rebuilding romance and relationship between Hayes and Vanessa, and the potential fall out as Vanessa and Haven’s time in New York comes to an end, an end predicated upon perceived betrayal and misunderstanding.

Vanessa Osbourne’s hatred for Hayes North is powerful in the wake of Hayes pushing Vanessa out of his life. As a single mother Vanessa struggled with every aspect of their lives but not only did Hayes walk out of her life but so too did her parents who refuse to acknowledge their granddaughter’s existence. Hayes North had no idea that Vanessa kept the child he never wanted.Having watched his father’s life implode, Hayes refused to follow the same path, as he battled between head and heart in an effort to get to know the daughter he never knew.

The relationship between Vanessa and Hayes is one of second chances; a rekindling romance between two people torn apart by immaturity, misunderstanding, heartbreak and dysfunctional family relationships. Hayes wants a chance to get to know the daughter he never knew but Vanessa struggles to get past the hurt of being abandoned by the man that she loved. The $ex scenes are intimate, erotic and intense without the use of over the top sexually graphic language and text.

Once again, there is a large ensemble cast of secondary and supporting characters. We are reintroduced to Hayes siblings: twin brother Hudson and Lillian, Alexander and Jordan, Kingston and Gabriella, as well as their father August; security specialist James, Hayes and Vanessa’s daughter Maven, Vanessa’s parent Nicholas and Annabella; Vanessa’s best friend Tag, and Hayes’ best friend Ellie.

CRUEL NORTH is a story of misunderstanding and mistakes, family and friendships, betrayal and forgiveness, love and acceptance. The premise is emotional and captivating; the romance is seductive and provocative; the characters are independent determined and charismatic.

Www.thereadingcafe.com
Profile Image for Daisy Knox.
Author 4 books23 followers

More reviews posted at Tales of Love, Life, and Murder

We finally learn what made Hayes such a bitter angry man and I’ve got to tell you, I don’t blame him. The North brother you love to hate is way more likeable than we ever realized before now. When circumstances ripped his first love from him, Hayes didn’t handle the loss very well and he’s never fully recovered. It was even tougher on Vanessa but she’s a superhero for building a life with her daughter against all odds. I loved Vanessa and the way she stood up to Hayes like nobody else.

There’s so much emotion between these two and it starts with a lot of anger but as they work out their differences, they begin to see the other’s point of view. They don’t like that POV, but they understand it and that changes things. The more they open up, the more those emotions evolve. Neither one of them knows what to expect but they mesh perfectly now, just like they did as teens. And no matter how tough it might be to accept each other’s choices, they’re ideally matched, balancing one another perfectly. Sure, acting on their attraction is probably a bad idea but they can’t just ignore it after all these years.

This was a fun story to read. I adored the characters (even Hayes!) and while I don’t yet have teens myself, I’m familiar with them and the author did a superb job of creating teenagers. I didn’t dislike Haven, but she was a realistic balance of wanting to play adult while being as immature and bratty as a toddler at times. Her character was very real to me. I enjoyed the roller coaster of emotions here and especially loved the interaction Hayes has with his sister-in-law Jordan. She’s witty and always has a great burn for him, like “Yeah, is it true you can’t be in the same room as a Bible or you’ll burst into flames?” and – when she catches him crying in a rare tender moment – “I wasn’t aware demons had tears”.

I’m sad to see this series end but I loved the way it ended. Hayes and Vanessa got a great HEA and so did the rest of the gang. There’s a great glimpse into the future that wraps it up nicely for everyone.
ℍ𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝕋𝕠𝕦𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝔸𝕟𝕘𝕤𝕥𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕊𝕖𝕩𝕪 𝔽𝕚𝕟𝕒𝕝𝕖 𝕚𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕤𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖 😻😻😻

✔️Surprise Pregnancy
✔️High-school Sweethearts
✔️Second Chance Romance
✔️Enemies-to-lovers
✔️Knowing you have a kid after years
✔️Super Charged Angst and Hotness
✔️The Curelest North and His Sassy heroine 😻😻

🅼🆈 🆁🅴🆅🅸🅴🆆:

OH MY.... FIRST OFF... I can't believe I'm saying this but I never thought that Hayes North would make me so much emotional and Sigh and smile and so many feelings all at once.

I LOVE LOVEE LOVEEE that Ms. Salsbury gave Hayes the perfect partner in Vanessa. The way she doesn't back down and is the only woman that can put Hayes in his place and tell him outright what a Big D**k he's being.

Start to end, this one was absolutely UNPUTDOWNABLE for me. I loved every second of spending time with Hayes and Vanessa.

Hayes made me want to slap him and curse him every time I've met him in previous books because that man made me feel like he's made of stone for being so emotionless and outright rude and unfeeling.

Then imagine seeing his past and getting to know the passionate and playful Hayes behind the cruel Hayes of today. The way he was easy going and crazy about Vanessa and even nowhere wanting a career that he has today but that of in sports.

Now, in the present, all that Hayes knows is Work and Work and nothing else. Even as far as working for seven days straight without a personal life.

And then Vanessa and Haven come storming into his life out of nowhere and completely put his life in a toss and bring sweet Chaos of unknown feelings and so much more into his life.

Ahhh... I was IN COMPLETELY, LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF THE VERBAL SPAT BETWEEN VANESSA AND HAYES ONE SECOND AND HAYES WANTING TO TEAR HER CLOTHES AND KISS HER MAD AS SHE FOUGHT WITH HIM.

THE FIRE BETWEEN THEM IS INSANE. 🌶️🌶️🔥🔥🔥

I loved seeing a completely different Hayes as he changes everyday being around Haven and Vanessa.

The North Brothers and their awesome partners were freaking Great with how they make Haven a part of their tribe and the way they assume their role of 'Aunties' made me have a blast with them.

Ahhhh.. I'm really feeling like a reread of this entire series is coming along as I was feeling nostalgic and wanting to read all over again Hayes and Vanessa's story along with Kingston and Hudson' stories.

AHHH... WHAT A RIDE.. LOVED FREAKING LOVED LOVED THIS ONE. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Profile Image for Sarah~ Book Obsession Confessions .
818 reviews50 followers
December 2, 2022
𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚋𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚖𝚊𝚢 𝚋𝚎 𝚖𝚢 𝚏𝚊𝚟𝚘𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚎. 𝙸 𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚜, 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝’𝚜 𝚜𝚘 𝚎𝚡𝚌𝚎𝚙𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚕 𝚒𝚗 𝚖𝚢 𝚘𝚙𝚒𝚗𝚒𝚘𝚗.
𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝙶𝚛𝚞𝚖𝚙𝚢/𝚂𝚞𝚗𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚎, 𝚂𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚍 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎/𝚂𝚞𝚛𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚎 𝚍𝚊𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚜𝚘 𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚖𝚞𝚌𝚑!
𝚂𝚞𝚛𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚍 𝚝𝚛𝚘𝚙𝚎 𝚒𝚜𝚗’𝚝 𝚊 𝚏𝚊𝚟𝚘𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚎. 𝙸𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚌𝚊𝚜𝚎 𝚒𝚝 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚔𝚎𝚍 𝚜𝚘 𝚠𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚖𝚎. 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚒𝚛𝚌𝚞𝚖𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚜 𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚞𝚗𝚒𝚚𝚞𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙸 𝚞𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚋𝚘𝚝𝚑 𝚜𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚒𝚝𝚞𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚒𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚘𝚕𝚟𝚎𝚍.
𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚒𝚐 𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚕 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚣𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚋𝚎𝚌𝚊𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚜𝚒𝚝𝚞𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗, 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚠𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚗 𝚜𝚘 𝚜𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚕𝚢 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚛𝚎𝚍𝚒𝚋𝚕𝚢 𝚋𝚎𝚊𝚞𝚝𝚒𝚏𝚞𝚕𝚕𝚢.
𝙷𝚊𝚢𝚎𝚜 𝚜𝚎𝚎𝚖𝚎𝚍 𝚜𝚘 𝚌𝚘𝚕𝚍, 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚕𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚏 𝚏𝚊𝚌𝚝. 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚊𝚙𝚙𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚞𝚗𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠𝚗 (𝚝𝚘 𝚑𝚒𝚖)𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝚍𝚊𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚖𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛, 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚑𝚒𝚐𝚑 𝚜𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚘𝚕 𝚜𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚝𝚠𝚒𝚜𝚝 𝚑𝚒𝚖 𝚞𝚙 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎’𝚜 𝚋𝚒𝚐 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚜 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝙷𝚊𝚢𝚎𝚜.
𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚍 𝚜𝚎𝚎𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚏𝚎𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜 𝚜𝚞𝚛𝚏𝚊𝚌𝚎. 𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚍 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚏𝚞𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚛𝚎𝚐𝚊𝚛𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚍𝚊𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚏𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚍𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚕𝚘𝚙𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚙𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚗𝚊𝚕 𝚒𝚗𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚝𝚜/𝚏𝚎𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜. 𝙸𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚜𝚘 𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚜𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚜𝚏𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚎𝚎 𝚑𝚒𝚖 𝚋𝚕𝚘𝚜𝚜𝚘𝚖 𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚘 𝚊 𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚌𝚊𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚘𝚗 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚙𝚞𝚝𝚜 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚍 𝚘𝚗𝚎𝚜 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚜𝚝. 𝙾𝚋𝚟𝚒𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚕𝚢 𝚑𝚎 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚜𝚎 𝚚𝚞𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚕𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚢 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚍𝚎𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚎, 𝚑𝚎 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚗𝚎𝚎𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚛𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚜𝚒𝚝𝚞𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚘 𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚙 𝚑𝚒𝚖 𝚐𝚛𝚘𝚠 𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚘 𝚒𝚝.
𝙷𝚎 𝚑𝚊𝚜 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝙱𝙸𝙶 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚊𝚍𝚎 𝚖𝚎 𝚜𝚠𝚘𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚍 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙸 𝚏𝚎𝚕𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚞𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚏𝚕𝚒𝚎𝚜 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚑𝚒𝚖.
𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚐𝚕𝚎𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚕𝚊𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚜 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚗𝚎𝚠𝚕𝚢 𝚜𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚕 𝚜𝚒𝚍𝚎 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚏𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚢, 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚓𝚘𝚔𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚜𝚞𝚛𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚛𝚎𝚐𝚊𝚛𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚗𝚎𝚠𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚍 𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚖𝚝𝚑 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚘𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚍𝚜 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚍𝚊𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚛, 𝙷𝚊𝚟𝚎𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚖𝚘𝚖, 𝚅𝚊𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚊. 𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚘𝚏 𝚏𝚞𝚗𝚗𝚢 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚝𝚊𝚒𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚏𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚢.
𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚝𝚎𝚗𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚋𝚎𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚖 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚅𝚊𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚊, 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚜𝚝 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚍𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚌𝚒𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚕𝚢 𝚑𝚘𝚝. 𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚒𝚛 𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚢 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚜𝚒𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚜𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚔𝚎𝚍 𝚑𝚘𝚝 𝚛𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚐𝚎𝚜.
𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚒𝚛 𝚙𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚝𝚊𝚒𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚏𝚞𝚕𝚕.
𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚋𝚘𝚝𝚑 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚝 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚒𝚛 𝚍𝚊𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚋𝚟𝚒𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚕𝚢. 𝙷𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛, 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚍𝚒𝚏𝚏𝚎𝚛𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚢𝚕𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚋𝚊𝚐𝚐𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑 𝚋𝚎𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚎𝚡𝚙𝚕𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚊 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚙 𝚊𝚐𝚊𝚒𝚗 𝚊𝚜 𝚊𝚍𝚞𝚕𝚝𝚜.
𝚅𝚊𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚊 𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚘 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎, 𝚜𝚑𝚎’𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚘𝚗𝚐, 𝚜𝚎𝚕𝚏 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚜 𝚊 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚗𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚎. 𝚂𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚘𝚎𝚜𝚗’𝚝 𝚑𝚘𝚕𝚍 𝚊 𝚐𝚛𝚞𝚍𝚐𝚎, 𝚜𝚑𝚎’𝚜 𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚜 𝚊 𝚋𝚒𝚐 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝. 𝚂𝚑𝚎’𝚜 𝚌𝚕𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚏𝚞𝚗𝚗𝚢 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚌𝚑 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎𝚜 𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚊 𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚌𝚑 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝙷𝚊𝚢𝚎𝚜.
𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚍 𝚐𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚎𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚟𝚒𝚘𝚞𝚜 𝚋𝚘𝚘𝚔𝚜 𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚞𝚙 𝚝𝚘 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙸 𝙻𝙾𝚅𝙴 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚛𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚊𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚒𝚛 𝚗𝚎𝚠𝚕𝚢 𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚍 𝚗𝚒𝚎𝚌𝚎, 𝙷𝚊𝚟𝚎𝚗. 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚢 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚘 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚐.
𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚝𝚑 𝚝𝚘 𝚊 𝙷𝙴𝙰 𝚒𝚜𝚗’𝚝 𝚊𝚕𝚠𝚊𝚢𝚜 𝚏𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚘𝚛 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚍.
𝙸 𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚕 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚢 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚜𝚞𝚌𝚑 𝚜𝚢𝚖𝚙𝚊𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚝𝚒𝚌 , 𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚝𝚊𝚒𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚘𝚗 𝚊 𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚊 𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚕 𝚓𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚗𝚎𝚢.
𝙸𝚝 𝚑𝚊𝚜 𝚑𝚞𝚖𝚘𝚛, 𝚋𝚒𝚐 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚘𝚏 𝚜𝚎𝚡𝚢 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚝. 𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚍 𝚒𝚝!
Profile Image for Carolyn.
235 reviews24 followers
November 18, 2022
This is my first book by this author. I was excited to be chosen as an arc reader.

Cruel North is book four of the North Brothers series. It’s the story of Hayes North & Vanessa Osbourne. HS sweethearts who went their separate ways. This story is about redemption, finding a lost love and letting go of the past, your fears & insecurities and be present. An abundance of obstacles force Hayes and Vanessa to both navigate and conquer, together and independently, in order to find their HEA.

At 18 Hayes was a cocky, arrogant and selfish jock. Loaded, able to claim any woman he wanted at his Uber wealthy HS prep school. He and Vanessa get into a back & forth challenge of wills in class that lands them both in trouble. Hayes makes a choice that surprises Vanessa, causing her to reconsider her opinion of him. After Hayes turns on the charm & relentless pursuit and despite the stunned reactions from friends, they become the IT couple on campus.

Fast forward to present day and we meet them again. Hayes has grown into a formidable, ruthless attorney working for his family’s empire. His only relationships are with his family and hired staff.
Vanessa, after being rejected by her parents, choose to make a life for herself in CO, far away from the memories in NYC.

Separated not only by thousands of miles, but the pain of the last time they saw each other and the words that were said driving them apart, Hayes & Vanessa are reunited when she makes a hasty trip to the big apple. Seems their daughter, 17 yr old Haven, decided to pay a visit to her very surprised and speechless dad. Haven is the perfect combination of her parents, both good and bad. The family together is a mess. As a parent I was cringing. As a reader I was intrigued. They are not perfect. They are highly flawed people who, after many, many mistakes and episodes of jumping to conclusions, finally learn how to honestly communicate.

I enjoyed this story. There is good character development and loads of steamy moments.
I own book one in the series. I must go back and read Alexander’s story now.
Profile Image for Luckylovesbooks.
605 reviews6 followers
December 3, 2022
This is the kind of second chance romance I like. I don’t want detailed flashbacks of their history. I want to be able to read about them in the present and working through the problem in the here and now. I find those flashback so incredible boring.

I’m really struggling with the inconsistencies in this series. In book 1 (Alex’s book) he’s 33 and Hayes (and by default Hudson) are described as being 5 years younger:

“How old are you?”
“Thirty-three.”

“Hayes has taken on the role of my protector, even though he’s five years younger.”

That put the twins at 28.

The 2nd book takes place a few months after the 1st.

The 3rd book (Hudson’s) takes place months (I think like like 7?) after the 2nd book. In this book Hayes says to Hudson “You’re thirty-two, not twenty-three.”

The 4th book takes place right after the 2nd book. And Hayes says this: “I’m thirty-six, and I have to pay people to keep a plant alive.”

In the 3rd book, the reason Hayes didn’t play professional hockey was because his father stopped scouts from, well, scouting him.

“Well, it didn’t work out, okay? When the time came, the scouts weren’t interested.”
“August.” Alexander’s single word reverberates through the space even though he didn’t say it particularly loud. “What?” His eyes narrow. “You didn’t know?”
“Know what?” Hayes’ jaw pulses.
“August kept scouts away. I don’t know how. My guess is donations.” His expression hardens. “I thought you knew that.”

In Haye’s book, he apparently quit because he couldn’t stop drinking (because he missed her) and got kicked off the team.

“I believed them. I waited for you to call. Your phone wasn’t working anymore, and I fucked up an entire semester worrying about you. Lost my spot on the team. That’s when I decided to give up on hockey and work for North industries.”

So yeah, glaring inconsistencies. I don’t like this at all. I’m very nit picky about details and apparently Hayes (and Hudson) aged 8 years in about 1.5.

Displaying 1 - 30 of 124 reviews