Start by marking “Guardian of Lies (Paul Madriani, #10)” as Want to Read:
Guardian of Lies (Paul Madriani, #10)

Guardian of Lies

(Paul Madriani #10)

Defense attorney Paul Madriani gets caught in a web of deceit and murder involving Cold War secrets, a rare coin dealer who once worked for the CIA, and a furious assassin in one of the most entertaining novels yet in this New York Times bestselling series.
A woman pauses in the hallway of a darkened San Diego beach house at night—listening for just the right moment when
Published July 14th 2009 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Guardian of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guardian of Lies

Kathryn
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
It takes a while for this whole storyline to come together, but once it does, you won't be able to put it down. The main character is a lawyer, Paul Madriani, the main character in many/all? of Steve Martini's books. However, this is not really a legal thriller. It is more along the lines of international intrigue.

It is a very good story, one which keeps you on the edge of your seat until the end. A man is murdered, and a young woman who was a guest in his home is the main suspect. As the story
David
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: completed
Dyana
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great fast paced political thriller!!! Lawyer, Paul Madriani, gets involved in a terrorist conspiracy to devastate San Diego. The plot contains a retired CIA rare coins dealer, escaped Muslim extremists from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (Fidel Castro), a dying Russian nuclear weapons expert, Mexican cartels, a hired assassin, an old nuclear weapon left over from the Cuban Missile Crisis, and last-but-not-least, Madrini is accused of murder. It sounds complicated, but the story is truly believa ...more
Dreepa
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I picked this up from the Library sale.
I actually thought it was a different author.
I normally don't like picking up books that are a 'series' in the middle and prefer to read the first one first but.... it was a long plane ride.

It is a 'typical' thriller with:
drugs
assassin
terrorist
FBI agents
lawyers
Cold War leftovers
and a nice tidy package at the end.
oh and it has a dwarf. 1/2 an extra star for a dwarf.

It was a lot different than I expected. Half the book is told from the first person and half i
Cornmaven
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Martini is my go to author for legal thrillers; I have not been disappointed by any of his novels. His recurring character, Paul Madriani, this time gets involved in a terrorist plot stemming back to the Cold War, so readers get a nice historical back look at Russia, Cuba, and the Bay of Pigs incident. Nicely done.

I like Martini because he doesn't crank them out once a month like some mainstream authors do - you've got to wait for his new books, and they are worth the wait.
Susannah Carleton
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book, but lacking the courtroom drama that makes this series so intriguing and compelling. I was disappointed by that lack, and not impressed with the James Bond-like role that Paul Madrianni played in this story.

The story is, as always, well written, but the villains (and there were a number of them) were one-dimensional.
Bonnie
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Steve Martini's Paul Madriani novels. The plots are generally interesting and not full of explicit sex and gore. This one was well-done and fun. Not great literature, just a well-crafted thriller.
Katharine Schopp
I liked the plot, but had trouble staying "in story" with this one.
The author keeps switching the character names from first to last name, repeatedly, even in the same paragraph. I just found it confusing.
Paragraphs like these are rampant:

"Nitikin now knew that Alim no longer needed him. Yakov was running out of time. If Afundi found Marciela in the back of the truck..."

Maybe if I were 20 years younger, or if I had read the book in one sitting, it would be easier, but every time I came across t
Francine
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Scott Bagley
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
My first book by this author. Don't really know what to say about it, it's a long row to hoe, I can tell you that. The pacing is funny, drawn out and overly detailed. The plot just doesn't move along like I'd like it to. There were some surprising moments, but not enough to bring the rating above a 2.
Jeanne
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After what I thought was a slow start, with a hard to follow story line, this story really developed and kept me wanting to hear what was going to happen next!! Loved the ending, except there was not closure on one set of characters, so I'm guessing, since this was #10 in the Paul Madriana series by Steve Martini, that this situation will resolve in a later story. 7 out of 10 for me.
Scott
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first of the three "Liquida" books, which I read out of order (I read 2, then 3, and finally 1). This was the best of the three. Not so over-the-top, lots of tense action scenes and even a little legal drama. I liked them all, but I wish I *had* started with this one. Fun read.
Ed
Jul 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
This is pretty mnuch a snoozer that reads like a made for t.v. movie. None of the characters were interesting and the plot was not even close to a page turner. I actually had to force myself to finish this.
Tina
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Did not finish - not enticing as some of his other books or maybe I'm not into this kind of literature any longer... His other ones are really good.
Faith
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good audio book. Don't think I've read this author before but I will read more.
Cindy
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Not his best by any means.
John E Bailor
Dec 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: keep-out
My first and last Martini.
Nolan
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nls-audio
I’ve read and mostly enjoyed the other nine books in this series; it seems a bit uneven to me up to now, but this 10th book is an edge-of-the-chair must-read. Guess what else! If you aren’t a fan of long courtroom scenes, you’ll really love this book, because there isn’t a single one in it. There’s plenty of trial, but not the type that occurs in front of a robed judge.

First, a quick word about Paul Madriani for those who haven’t read the first nine books or who haven’t read my previous reviews
John
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy reading Martini. This is the third book of his I've read and it was definitely solid. Paul Madriani, the series protagonist lawyer, this time gets involved in a narco/terrorist plot with yet to be extinguished cold war overtones. The story unfolded smoothly and there was plenty of intrigue. The novel did depart from his normal trial lawyer (Grisham-style) legal thriller, but it was satisfying. My only problem, albeit minor, was the ending which did not have the plot twist that so ...more
Phillip III
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Guardian of Lies is like no other Paul Madriani novel.

Martini pretty much takes a step away from the (fabulous) courtroom drama he writes to tell a different kind of tale -- political espionage.

This was way more Mitch Rapp / Jack Ryan (Jack Ryan, Jr.)

Absolutely loved it. Looking forward to The Rule of Nine --which seems to pick up where this saga left off!

Phillip Tomasso
Author of the crime novel YOU CHOOSE
and the supernatural thriller WOMAN IN THE WOODS
Adri Ann
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impossible to Put Down!!

Steve Martini never fails to immediately engage the reader who hangs on his every word, sitting on the edge of his seat and ignoring everything else until the story is told. And even after the reader finishes, the story consumes the reader’s thoughts. The best reading experience ever!!!
Emily Higgins
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Attorney Paul Madriani and his partner Harry Hinds take a case defending a young woman charged with murder. As they investigate the case, they start looking for some missing photographs. This leads Paul to a trip to Costa Rica to find the girl's mother. In Costa Rica, he finds much more than he bargained for.
Sandra
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous Thriller with ties to Cuba

Fabulous Thriller with ties to the Cuban missile crisis. What starts as a chance meeting in a market with a beautiful woman leads Attorney Paul Madriani to his most dangerous case yet. When the woman is accused of murder, Paul takes her case. A beautiful Costs Rican, Katie Solaz leads to a race against time to prevent a Nuclear holocaus.
Nancy G
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is the only Steve Martini book I couldn’t finish. I was 1/3 of the way through the book and just couldn’t waste more of my time. He’s out of his wheel house trying to include foreign espionage. The details were unnecessary and bogged down the book.
Kevin Wheeler
Too many coincidences to be credible

A good fast paced action story based on true facts, but with way too many coincidences to be real. The whole story hinges on these various coincidences which otherwise would have made the whole story impossible.
Heather Santiago
This is considered a legal thriller but it’s more of a political thriller with a lawyer as the protagonist. There’s Mexican drug cartels, a dangerous assassin, rare coins, and nuclear weapons. It does take a while to combine all these into a story but it’s fast paced and very interesting.
Greg Dill
Though the premise of the story is fascinating, it is a bit too long, drawn out, and convoluted. Didn't seem to flow well. Lost interest after 150 pages. Moving on.
Rod
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I guess I read it before. Dang it. Pretty good story line and post authors note. Scared stuff out there.
Lloyd Hinkle
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 9-audio
Madriani beats the bad guys!!!
Chick Marks
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I like crimes closer to San Diego. Plus there some of the 'how stupid are you ' actions by the characters that I despise.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• A Plague of Secrets (Dismas Hardy, #13)
  • Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2)
  • The Mighty Johns and Other Stories
  • Conviction (Christopher Paget, #4)
  • Unfit to Practice (Nina Reilly #8)
  • Reversible Errors (Kindle County Legal Thriller #6)
  • True Detectives
  • Above the Law (Casey Jordan, #2)
Martini's first career was in journalism. He worked as a newspaper reporter for the Los Angeles Daily Journal, the largest legal newspaper in the country covering the state, the local courts and the civic center beat. In 1970 he became the newspaper’s first correspondent at the State Capitol in Sacramento and later its bureau chief. There he specialized in legal and political coverage. During this ...more

Paul Madriani (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Compelling Evidence (Paul Madriani, #1)
  • Prime Witness (Paul Madriani, #2)
  • Undue Influence (Paul Madriani, #3)
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • The Attorney (Paul Madriani, #5)
  • The Jury (Paul Madriani, #6)
  • The Arraignment (Paul Madriani, #7)
  • Double Tap (Paul Madriani, #8)
  • Shadow of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
  • The Rule of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11)