Start by marking “Echo Park (Harry Bosch, #12; Harry Bosch Universe, #16)” as Want to Read:
Echo Park (Harry Bosch, #12; Harry Bosch Universe, #16)

Echo Park

(Harry Bosch #12)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  46,256 ratings  ·  1,941 reviews
In 1995, Marie Gesto disappeared after walking out of a supermarket in Hollywood. Harry Bosch worked the case but couldn't crack it, and the 22-year-old woman never turned up, dead or alive. Now Bosch is in the Open-Unsolved Unit, where he still keeps the Gesto file on his desk, when he gets a call from the DA. A man accused of two heinous killings is willing to come clean ...more
Published (first published October 9th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Echo Park, please sign up.
Jesse All of the books in this universe are stand-alone reads but as others have stated, the previous books sure help with character development. It's a ver…moreAll of the books in this universe are stand-alone reads but as others have stated, the previous books sure help with character development. It's a very good book however you choose to read.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Joe Pickard I recommend reading the Harry Bosch novels in order. The characters and situations in Echo Park will be referred to in later novels and you will get t…moreI recommend reading the Harry Bosch novels in order. The characters and situations in Echo Park will be referred to in later novels and you will get to see Bosch and his wife and daughter grow up and become involved in some of his stories.
And the Bosch TV shows are GREAT; I highly recommend watching them in order!(less)

·  46,256 ratings  ·  1,941 reviews

Start your review of Echo Park (Harry Bosch, #12; Harry Bosch Universe, #16)
James Thane
This is another excellent entry in the Harry Bosch series. At this point in his career, Harry is working Open and Unsolved cases with his partner, Kiz Rider. One of the cases that has haunted him for years is the disappearance of a young woman named Marie Gesto, who disappeared after walking out of a market where she'd bought carrots to feed the horses she was going to tend. She was never seen again and, although her body was never found, Bosch has long assumed that she is dead, especially after ...more
Jonetta
Harry Bosch is now one year into his return to the LAPD out of retirement. He and Kiz Rider are partnered in the Open-Unsolved Unit, working cold cases. One of the them, the 13-year old missing persons case of Marie Gesto, has plagued Harry since he was originally assigned to the investigation. It's now red hot after a serial killer confesses to her abduction as part of an agreement to avoid the death penalty. Now he and Kiz have to determine if he's telling the truth.

Wow. Just wow. This story
Phrynne
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry's at his best again, getting into all kinds of trouble, running headlong into danger, never thinking about other people until after the event. I love reading about him but I get why all the women in his life leave him too!
This is the second book I have read this week where we are positively falling over all the dead bodies. However this does make for exciting reading. I think Harry only kills one of them himself but he certainly causes several more. There's lots of interesting police work
Carol
The Hook - “I’m working my way through you Bosch.”

The Line - ”“It was the little questions that always bothered him, filled the hollow inside with dread.”

The Sinker - Echo Park was truly my favorite of Harry Bosch Series
thus far. Its excellent plotting, cracker-jack writing, the attention to details, all made this just what you’d expect in a crime novel.

Bosch is working a 1993 cold case, the disappearance of twenty-two year old Marie Gesto. The case is over ten years old but it’s one of those
Harry
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time saver tip: if you've read my review of any Harry Bosch book, you've read 'em all. Since I don't reveal plots and reserve my comments to the overall book/author, characterization, style, etc...I just don't feel the need to repeat myself as in most cases series books if any good at all do remain consistent. The star ratings might change, but not my opinion of the series as a whole.

Michael Connelly is a well know and very popular author in the mystery/detective and police procedural genres. E
Heidi
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-goal, mysteries
Another excellent Bosch mystery full of complicated characters and political BS— that’s what Harry Bosch would say.

Tough to review because I was familiar with the nuts and bolts of the storyline via Amazon’s Bosch series. But, because TV always has to switch things up, invent new characters and even tamper with endings, I was pleasantly surprised that there were a few curve balls in the book that I didn’t see coming.

I’m on a mystery kick these days so I’ve already got the next one cued up on t
Richard
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
8/10

"When you've read a bad book and you need a pickmeup, who ya gonna call? Harry Bosch!"

Not quite as lyrically poetic as the fine Ray Parker Jr, but you get the picture. I know I'm going to get a good read when I pick up this series. Bosch is well rounded by this stage, book 12 in the series, and you know his character and determination will see him through but Michael Connelly still throws in a number of surprises and intriguing plot points to make this anything but a paint by numbers crime n
Obsidian
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr-2017, favorites
What can I say about Bosch at this point? This book gives you a great mystery, politics, and finally someone just calling out Harry for the crap he keeps pulling when it comes to always doing things his way and his whole damn the consequences thing.

"Echo Park" is the 12th book in the Harry Bosch universe. With Harry now back working Open/Unsolved cases with his partner Kiz, he feels better than he has in a while. However, one of Harry's past cases which has haunted him is coming back in a big wa
kartik narayanan
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whew! I finally got to read the other half of the story in the Bosch TV series season 1. And the book does not disappoint.

The book has a complex, multi-layered story that unfortunately did not make it into the video version. I loved how there were conspiracies within conspiracies. The mystery is great (especially if one has not watched it before) with massive red herrings. And there is the unique Bosch twist at the end.

So, overall, another great Bosch story.
Scott
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
** Continuing my read and review of Michael Connelly’s Detective Bosch series **

Connelly’s 17th book and 12th outing with Bosch - “The Echo Park” - was first published back in 2006. Detective Hieronymus “Harry” Bosch is a Vietnam war veteran and a twenty-year police officer serving in the Los Angeles, California police department. Harry was once a star in the Robbery/Homicide division, working out of the LA city headquarters until his bad habit of fighting the formal structure of the police depa
Deanna
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5ish stars.

I read this series sporadically.

Sometimes I like them solidly. Usually I think they're good enough, readable, could be better could be worse.

I really enjoyed the brief Lincoln Lawyer series, but Bosch is one I always think, between readings, that I probably actually enjoyed more than I did.

I see so many people saying Bosch is their favorite detective. I think well, not bad, and I should give him more credit because he's a reasonable character competently written.

So by the time
Book Addict Shaun
‪And so I continue this incredible series with book number 12, Echo Park. I can’t believe I’ve read so many books featuring Harry Bosch already, I am dreading reaching the most recent book in this series. ‬

‪Echo Park was another masterclass in how to write crime fiction. The authenticity is present on every single page. Characterisation is brilliant. Bosch continues to evolve as a character, once again the job comes between him and a potential partner (the fantastic Rachel Walling, and the scene
Fred
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Goodreads - Best Police Procedurals - #3 as of 8/1/2019

Bosch is back after 2 years of retirement.
A killer, Raynard Waits, in jail for 7 murder cases, now He admits to 2 others to stay off death row. One being a unsolved 13 year “open” case of Marie Gesto that has brought high anxieties to Bosch over 13 years.

To determine if Waits is telling the truth, he agrees to lead the police thru a Echo Park wooded area, to where 13 years old ago he buried Gesto?

He does lead them to her body. But it’s
Robin
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2017
Working in the Open-Unsolved Unit gives Detective Harry Bosch a chance to look into an unsolved case where he was the lead investigator. Thirteen years ago, 22-year-old Marie Gest walked out of a grocery store and was never seen again. Her car was found in the garage of an apartment available for rent. The District Attorney has now contacted Harry about the case against Raynard Waits. Waits was found driving around Echo Park with two bodies in the back of his van. In hopes of not getting the dea ...more
William
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great return to form for Connelly and Bosch.

I enjoyed this book version of Echo Park, somewhat different from the parts combined with City of Bones to create the superb Amazon TV series, BOSCH: A wonderful mix, refreshing and extremely well produced and written show.

I also enjoyed Rachel Walling a lot more in Echo Park. She is far more real, and involved, more alive. She contributes to the plot and solution convincingly. She has her own views, often different from Bosch, but able to
Trevor
Cathy DuPont
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry, Harry, Harry. Will you you never learn to stay out of trouble? Oh...I get it. If you did I wouldn't have much to read about.

Hard to believe that I was thinking that book number one was the only one of the series I would read because I didn't particularly like Harry. But my buddy Harry R. (whose review you would want to read) encouraged me to read another, so I did. The end of the story? I got snagged, hook, line and sinker by Harry Bosch.

While I like to read a series beginning at the be
Rob Twinem
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could say that Echo Park was my favourite Harry Bosch novel but I would be lying, they are all equally brilliant. Harry is back out of retirement working for the Open Unsolved Crimes Unit with the LAPD, cases that have gone cold and need a revaluation with fresh eyes. He is partnered with Kiz Ryder and one day they receive a call from the District Attorney's dept in respect of the case of Marie Gesto, an unsolved murder that has bitter memories for Bosch.

When a van driven by Raynard Waits is
Jim
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another typical HB novel which means plenty of twists, Harry in the trick bag, & someone finally getting nailed. The repetition of the procedural style can get a little grating at times & some of the twists weren't quite as surprising. Normally, I'd mark down for that, but this is the 16th book in the HB Universe & the story still managed to surprise me a couple of times even with Connelly's masterful foreshadowing.

The characters were well done again. A recurring one made an interesting cameo th
jo
Jul 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
i want to say this book is okay, just okay -- good-ish story, good-ish characters, good-ish plot turns, good pace. bosch is a nice protagonist because he's haunted by demons and it's nice when your detectives are haunted by demons. it makes them look like the criminals they are pursuing, which is after all the whole premise of the genre.

(i hope i fed the right dog.)

it is not a book that deserves four stars because it's too improbable. that's a flaw in a mystery and it bothers me. so many myster
Carrie
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Michael Connelly never fails to deliver. His Harry Bosch series just keeps getting better and better. Usually series tend to get a bit repetitive after so many books but not Bosch - the curve balls just keep on coming. Long may it continue.
Melinda
Pretty good Bosch mystery.
Richard Derus
Rating: 3.5* of five

This is #12 in the Harry Bosch series of mystery/thrillers, and it's the last one I will be reading. I just got worn down by the sameness of it all. It's what makes series books appealing, on the one hand, that comfortable familiarity; but too much of it loosens my grip on the give-a-damn lever.

Now that Harry's in the unsolved crimes unit, he runs across a 13-year-old case of his that's bugged him and worried him because he feels sure there's something he and/or his partner m
Jamie
This 12th Harry Bosch installment (#17 in the Bosch Universe) did it all for me. I initially was a little worried on whether it had been spoiled, as season one of Bosch heavily took from the plot of Echo Park, but there were so many differences, both minute and massive, that allowed for enough mystery to keep me guessing. Nonetheless, an exceptionally engrossing read.

Rachel Walling in any book is a good book. Kiz Rider and J. Edgar both in a book together again is a good book. Add in potentiall
Sheila Beaumont
I've been reading the Harry Bosch novels in series order, and this series seems to get better and better with each book. Echo Park is my favorite so far. One thing that I think added to my enjoyment of this one is that it was dramatized (combined with a couple of other Bosch tales) in the first season of Amazon's Bosch TV series. Spoilers didn't bother me, as there's much more to enjoy in these books than just the outcome, and there was no way the TV show, which changed quite a lot of the story ...more
❆ Crystal ❆
Another 5 star book from Michael Connelly. Another Harry Bosch installment that kept me on my toes the whole way through. Of course I got it wrong... no matter how hard I try, I can never pin the bad guy. Harry Bosch is awesome as always, but I wonder if Rachel was right at the end. What choices will Harry make next in his life? WOW is all I can say.
Kevin Dowson
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 12th Bosch book, and once again a collaboration with FBI Agent Rachel Walling. In fact, this book is probably less "Bosch" than some because there is quite a bit of focus on the exchanges between the two of them. Not a bad thing, but I feel it doesn't have some of the darkness of previous stories, at least concerning Harry himself.

As for the plot, that's plenty dark. A 13-year old murder, one which has kept drawing Harry back in time and again over the years, suddenly opens wide and Harry an
Stephen
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another right good Bosch book with many twists and turns - the endings fool me every time, how does he keep coming up with them ? This continues to be a great series.
David
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Echo Park" is a true return to form for Michael Connelly, after a couple of good, but not great books. I tore through this book in about a day and a morning -- it was that hard to put down. If you decide to read it, make sure you have some time off!

There are three threads to this book that Connelly weaves together masterfully, always playing fair with the reader. There is an unsolved murder from 1993 that has haunted Harry Bosch since then, with a possible suspect still roaming free. Bosch beli
Lili  Marcus
RATING: 4.5/5 Stars

This is actually 12th in a 21-series but each can be read as a standalone as each story features one crime story being told by the infamous Detective Harry Bosch. At least for those who know Connelly, Harry is indeed well-known.

Anyway, Echo Park is about an Unsolved case that Harry just couldn't let go even after he retired and then got back in the service. A 22-year old woman named Marie Gesto gone missing and was never found except her neatly folded clothes inside her car
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 10 13 Feb 26, 2017 11:24AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 7 11 Feb 26, 2017 08:58AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 6 7 Feb 26, 2017 08:50AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question A 5 9 Feb 26, 2017 08:45AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 5 6 Feb 26, 2017 06:24AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 5 7 Feb 26, 2017 06:21AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 5 9 Feb 26, 2017 06:20AM

• Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6, Will Robie, #5.5)
  • The Crossing: by Michael Connelly | Summary & Analysis
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • The Gods of Guilt (Lincoln Lawyer): by Michael Connelly -- Sidekick
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport, #30)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Bad Luck and Trouble (Jack Reacher, #11)
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • One Good Deed (Archer, #1)
  • The Affair (Jack Reacher, #16)
  • Worth Dying For (Jack Reacher, #15)
  • Nothing to Lose (Jack Reacher, #12)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • The Forgotten (John Puller, #2)
  • The Guardians
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #11)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #13)