Start by marking “The Good People” as Want to Read:
The Good People

The Good People

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Deep in the English countryside, Kenneth and his older brother have discovered the land of Arboria - a kingdom of adventure waiting for them through a gate in the garden wall. As the world outside plunges deeper into global conflict, the Arborians wage their own war against the Barbarians.
Published by Atom Books (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Good People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good People

Grace
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original. Surprising. And somewhat sinister.

This book although, as said above, is rather long winded, the storyline however is so incredible. No-one has come up with such a fantastic storyline as this.

I do feel this would be suited to only some as the way it's written doesn't quite support the story.

I was often surprised by the events taken place and rather confused at the change in tone but it was thoroughly enjoyed!

I RECOMMEND!
Liz
Oct 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2010
I can't help thinking that this could've been made into perhaps a 150 page book rather than a 300 page book--perhaps even less. That gives you an idea of the pacing, and the amount of stuff that is, overall, unneccessary.

Basic story: Kenneth and Robert live with their grandmother in England during World War One. There's a magic land beyond their house called Arboria, where they have adventures and fight against the Barbarians and their leader Davy Hearn. Then two evacuees, Nadia and Janny, come
Bekah
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very slow, but intriguing book. To say that the end of the book has a twist would be an understatement. Do not be fooled by the boring beginning narrative of children playing makebelieve in a treehouse, as it is quite the psychological thriller. Not a book to read if you like fast paced stories that suck you in within the first few pages, but is a rewarding read if you see it through to the end (and at a certain point, there is no turning back).

I read this book three years ago and it is one of
Connor
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Connor by: Librarian
I read this novel when I was quite a bit younger and again recently. I think that it would be quite easy to skim through this book and miss a lot of what Cockayne really intends whenever something strange occurs. I doubt a superficial reader would enjoy this book.

I can't really express what i found to be the intentions without giving away major aspects of the plot though I'm afraid.

I found this book to be chilling and interesting to read right up to the very end where I was sadly quite disappo
Oliver
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this when I was about 10, and remember enjoying the book, though I was sometimes disturbed.
I've actually being trying to remember this book's name for months, and might reread it now I've found it.
Ficie
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Confused and confusing. I was never really clear on what was happening, and why it was relevant.
The main character is very unsympathetic, and the story is way too depressing (especially at the end): hence the two stars.
Tammy
Freaky! Had fun reliving the imaginative play my sister and I partook of when we were kids, but in the book the line between fantasy and reality became really blurred. Kept me reading but wasn't a book I was dying to get back to. It reminded me quite a bit of the movie Beautiful Mind.
Alison Ball
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this when I was younger, like 12 maybe, and I still clearly remember it being very good :D
Ashley Leong
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting children's book. I read this when I was way younger and do not think i will ever forget this story.
Gary