Start by marking “The Super Barbarians” as Want to Read:
The Super Barbarians

The Super Barbarians

The Acre was the only part of an entire world where Earthmen were allowed to live as they pleased and as they were accustomed. For elsewhere on Quallavarra, humanity was forced into servitude by the Vorra, THE SUPER BARBARIANS, who has somehow managed to conquer space.

But within the Acre, the underling Terrestrials had cooked up a neat method of keeping teir conquerors fr
Paperback, Ace #D-547, 160 pages
Published May 1962 by Ace Books (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Super Barbarians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Super Barbarians

Start your review of The Super Barbarians
Bill
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I've enjoyed many of John Brunner's science fiction stories. Stand on Zanzibar stands as one of my favourites of all time and is a true classic of the genre. The Super Barbarians was published in 1962 and comes relatively early in his writing career. It's an entertaining, eminently readable story about Earth fighting to overthrow the Vorra, an alien race that defeated them many years ago in a space battle.
Gareth Snow is an Earthman, living on Qualavarra, serving as a major domo of sorts in the h
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
John Brunner's The Super Barbarians
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - August 2, 2014

I'm trying to alternate here between reading & reviewing bks that have deep personal significance for me &/or substantial content to be addressed carefully AND SF, mostly John Brunner bks. The Brunner's are always a relief, they're fun but not throwaways. I have a bag of Brunners in my bedrm & I'm gradually making my way thru the bag. It won't be long now before I've read them & I'll have to start pickin
Stephen Theaker
Enjoyed the story, but the Gollancz/SF Gateway edition of it was utterly dreadful, clearly having been scanned in and never checked, with ridiculous mistakes from start to finish. Typical errors include: "On the Vorrish side it was tempered with a land of puzzlement", "This was another point they bore in mind when dunking of us", "Where is he JIOW?" and an order "not to supply any more of this poison to my 8011".
The Reading Samurai
** 2 Stars

Just an average Sci-fi. The story lacks cliffhangers and the thrill that would hook a reader.Also there are no jaw dropping aspects that a sci-fi would normally carry.

A fast and simple read

Jim
Oct 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Add space-age technology to savages and what do you get? Super Barbarians. They've kicked mankind's a**e* and now it's our turn. Find out what the future looks like from 50 years ago. Who doesn't love a good ACE paperback?
Erik Graff
Oct 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Brunner fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
As with many science fiction paperbacks of childhood, I recall the cover clearly, but little of the contents. Later, with Stand on Zanzibar, Brunner was to become one of my favorite science fiction authors.
John Purcell
Alexander Nachaj
Oct 28, 2017
Edward Fenner
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
A good, early Brunner novella. The cover has nothing to do with the story, however.
Sebastian
Jan 30, 2013
Frederick Carl
Nov 12, 2015
Chris
rated it did not like it
Feb 27, 2012
Raoul
Jun 12, 2015

• Point Ultimate
  • Second Time Around
  • The Crossword Connection (Crossword Mysteries, #3)
  • Seasons (Tales of Valdemar, #13)
  • The Battered Badge
  • Death of an Art Collector (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #14)
  • Choices (Tales of Valdemar #12)
  • Tarnished Knight (The Lost Stars, #1)
  • The Syndic
  • Captain Nemo
  • The Osiris Ritual (Newbury and Hobbes, #2)
  • The Devil's Detective (Thomas Fool #1)
  • Curioddity
  • Bodacious Creed: a Steampunk Zombie Western (The Adventures of Bodacious Creed, Book 1)
  • Space Tug
  • The Stardust Voyages
John Brunner was born in Preston Crowmarsh, near Wallingford in Oxfordshire, and went to school at St Andrew's Prep School, Pangbourne, then to Cheltenham College. He wrote his first novel, Galactic Storm, at 17, and published it under the pen-name Gill Hunt, but he did not start writing full-time until 1958. He served as an officer in the Royal Air Force from 1953 to 1955, and married Marjorie Ro ...more