Start by marking “Shanghai Baby” as Want to Read:
Shanghai Baby

Shanghai Baby

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  3,850 Ratings  ·  300 Reviews
Esta es la historia de Cocó, una joven china aspirante a escritora, atrapada en un triángulo amoroso. Vive con su novio, Tiantian, un joven de una sensibilidad extraordinaria que tiene un grave problema de impotencia y que, a pesar de amar intensamente a Cocó, no puede satisfacerla sexualmente. En una fiesta, Cocó conoce a Mark, un alemán casado, con quien iniciará una ave ...more
Published 2003 by Booket (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Shanghai Baby, please sign up.

Ranie Ismidiana not as explicit as 50 shades of grey but explicit enough for you to put this books in a top shelves so underage kids can't read it

The Writer
Dec 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of my Chinese friends encourage me to read this book, not because they think it's cool or that it's fantastic, but because the main character is a Shanghainese girl.

Well, duh, you can read the title, right?

It turned out, my Chinese friends - who are not from Shanghai - begged me to read this book to prove their points that Shanghai girls are *cough* a bit unruly on the sex and wild side. They have this prejudice that Shanghai girls are only after white guys and that they would do anything
Julia
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china, oh-la-la, chick-lit
I found this book on a sale and it kindled my interest because i had heard about the scandal and the banning it had been involved in in china - well, it's very explicit about sex, but doesn't break any real taboos in the western world. Ok, there's sex with an impotent man, there's sex with a German with an OOOOOOO SOOOOOOO HUUUUUUUUUGE penis, there's no sex with a vibrator and there's a little bit of flirting with other women. the only thing which really made me swallow (in an unpleasant way) wa ...more
Ivana Books Are Magic
How this book ever became a bestseller is beyond me. However, in a world where Fifity Shades of Grey is a bestseller, that really ought not be so surprising. At least this novel has a few good passages ( I didn't actually read Fifty Shades of Grey but I read quotes from it and they were, by far, the worst and most idiotic thing I have ever read in my life). However, those lyrical passages to be found in Shangai Baby don't exactly make for a good novel. Don't be fooled by lovely quotes like these ...more
S.
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dutchess
why is this book so hated? 3.21 according to GR statistics makes it one of the most despised books on the website...

Shanghai Baby was famously banned in China, and although failing to reach any huge level of greatness, clearly illustrates the character's self-centred after-every-expat nature. but this seems to be Shanghai in general. a complete destruction of this city would not turn it into Jerusalem. to some degree, criticism of the book is deserved in that it reflects the sort of "worst stere
Caleb Liu
Apr 19, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Privileged Shanghai twenty-something nicknamed Coco (after Coco Chanel) loves her artist but impotent boyfriend but engages in torrid affair with married German expat businessman.

Wei Hui's attempts to contrast hedonism and the search for authenticity within the lens of the post Deng Xiaopeng China and such weightier themes (East vs West, capitalism vs imperialism) doesn't work.

This is more Cosmo that Keroac, more gossip column than Henry Miller. Notable largely for its overblown sex scenes lead
Alexis
Jul 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Wow! What an utterly uninspired piece of writing. The main character (apparently based on the author) is totally unrelatable and lacks depth. While I believe the character was intended to be this revolutionary and shocking women she came off as a shallow and uncaring character with no redeemable human quality. The writing itself was boring and uninvolved.... A depressing attempt at shock value.
Vesna
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction

Knjiga nema neku radnju. Pisana je kao dnevnik svakodnevnice 25-ogodišnjakinje i ne događa se ništa posebno: malo druženja, malo ljubovanja, malo rada na romanu...
U meni nije pobudila neka razmišljanja, a ni emocije. Doima se nekako nabacano i plitko s tendencijom da bude duboko i sveobuhvatno.
Stilski nije nešto. Na početku svakog poglavlja autorica citira zapadne mislioce i nepotrebno citira druge autore u samom tekstu kao da nema svojih misli pa ubacuje tuđe. U drugoj polovici romana, presta
Cari
Oct 27, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Crap. Self-indulgent, narcissistic, unabashedly ignorant, poorly written crap. It's a shame that Chinese literature is being represented by such an atrocious wanna-be.
Daren
I should start by saying I am not the target audience for this, and also by recording my surprise that this was a banned book in China. Why was is banned? For its self-indulgence?

Although already announced in the blurb on the back as semi-autobiographical, it is a pretty thin veil being cast over the author, who clearly is for a large part the main character.

Pretty author, nicknamed Coco (after Coco Chanel) who everybody fawns over, quits her job as a waitress to live with artist boyfriend and c
Ivana
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Much of the praise this novel got is undeserved. Its raise to popularity has to do ( I strongly believe) mainly with the fact that it was banned by the Chinese government. I actually agree with what the Chinese government had to say about it, how it was an imitation of the west or something like that.

The protagonist is this Shanghai girl nicknamed Coco whose idol is Coco Chanel. You could say that the two have something in common--- While Coco Chanel was famous for her relationship with a Nazi o
China Book Club: Will the real "Shanghai Girl" please stand up! 1 43 Mar 03, 2012 03:09PM
  • My Life as Emperor
  • Georgia
  • Foreign Babes in Beijing: Behind the Scenes of a New China
  • The Banquet Bug
  • February Flowers
  • Kimono
  • Beijing Coma
  • The Year Without Christmas (Sweet Valley Twins Super Edition #10)
  • The Moon Opera
  • The Binding Chair or, A Visit from the Foot Emancipation Society
  • To Change China: Western Advisers in China
  • Watching the Tree
  • Behind the Red Door: Sex in China
Zhou Weihui (simplified Chinese: 周卫慧; traditional Chinese: 周衛慧) is a Chinese writer, living and working in Shanghai and New York. She is known in the West also as "Wei Hui".

Her novel Shanghai Baby (2000) was banned in the People's Republic of China as "decadent". Her latest novel Marrying Buddha (2005) was censored, modified and published in China under a modified title.

Wei Hui has been regarded b
More about Zhou Weihui...
“Her life was like a burst of wild, flowing Chinese calligraphy, written under the influence of alcohol.” 18 likes
“Kissing with the tip of the tongue is like ice-cream melting. It was he who taught me that a kiss has a soul and colour of its own.” 17 likes