Start by marking “1634: The Bavarian Crisis (Assiti Shards, #6)” as Want to Read:
1634: The Bavarian Crisis  (Assiti Shards, #6)

1634: The Bavarian Crisis

(Assiti Shards #6)

'The Thirty Years War' continues to ravage 17th century Europe, but a new force is gathering power and influence - the Confederated Principalities of Europe, an alliance between Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden, and the West Virginians from the 20th century led by Mike Stearns who were hurled centuries into the past by a mysterious cosmic accident.

The CPE has the
Published October 1st 2007 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about 1634, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1634

Start your review of 1634: The Bavarian Crisis (Assiti Shards, #6)
Henry
Oct 04, 2007 rated it liked it
This is the continuing saga in the 1632 Universe that was started (not surprisingly) with a book entitled 1632.

Now it is 1634 and there is a Crisis in Bavaria (hence, the current title).

If you aren't familiar with this series, it has a number of unusual characteristics. Quite notably, there are now about four books that take place in 1634. And there is a book that takes place in 1635. To keep fans on their toes, that book came out BEFORE the last two books that take place in 1634.

Confused?

The
Dan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, 2018, 1632
A bit slow in the beginning, but the last half is excellent. 2018 re-read: This series almost always satisfies.
Debrac2014
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed it! Slow beginning, but then the multiple story lines moved quickly!
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
From Publishers Weekly

The intricacies of Habsburg family relations make surprisingly fascinating reading in the latest episode in Flint's saga of a 20th-century West Virginia town transported mysteriously to 17th-century Europe. The recently widowed Duke Maximilian of Bavaria reluctantly assents to a dynastic marriage with his niece, Archduchess Maria Anna of Austria, but her recent reading of an uptime encyclopedia and the American Constitution leads her to consider other, previously

Leo
I really tried to give this book a chance and although it improved after the first 200 pages, it never lived up to expectations. This is a book in the Ring of Fire series. The premise is that a small West Virginia town inexplicably gets transported back to 17th century century Germany in the midst of the 30 years war. Taken as a whole this book does one thing quite well, it gives a great sense of what living in the new reality brought on by the phenomenon was like. The problem is that the same ...more
Mike Briggs
Most of the books in this series are hard to get into, and that is both because of the massive cast of thousands over many different countries (not all of which are familiar), and because the books themselves are not written by the same authors. Other than the short story books, none of the stories (books) can be definitely linked to any sole author other than Eric Flint. The hope every time I crack open a book in this series, is that Flint actually was involved, and that the book has a similar ...more
Howard Brazee
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend reading this (1632) series in recommended order (Google it).

This book seemed at first to be almost a historical lecture - which I liked, the history is fascinating. Then the action got complicated. Very little of the book took place in Grantville, nor even needed Grantville to make it work.

It was heavy into religious issues of the time and place, along with political issues. It did mention Unitarianism for a moment, but I'm interested that I don't recall so far in the series - ever
Mike
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had trouble with this book's rating - I liked the characters and the plot, but I really was not a fan of the writing style. Given my enjoyment of the previous books in this series, I'm left to conclude that Eric Flint was in charge of the overall story, while Virginia DeMarce got to handle the pacing and dialogue. The result is a fun story that takes forever to get going, and then suddenly skips over large periods of time. I don't really mind the Skyrim-style map hopping that occurs when ...more
Daniel Bratell
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The world created by the 1632 book keeps expanding in time and space. With the ambition this project has I think it was inevitable, but maybe it also becomes less entertaining.

A firm interest in European history is a good base though nobody will be prepared for everything in this universe.

This book is a lot about the collision of catholicism and protestantism, illustrated by the conflicts surrounding Bavaria, though happening all the way between Amsterdam and Vienna, with a sprinkle of Basel.

Edward Tessier
At times it is a nearly endless compendium of historic characters, economies, and religious politics. the "cast of thousands" consistently distracts from the dozen or so characters engaging enough to follow. I can't imagine the series changing at this point, but I so wish it would pare down on the world building and spend more time experiencing the era through a handful of compelling characters. Those characters ARE there, they are just buried deep under a Bavarian avalanche of words.
Beth
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good addition to the series.

If you aren't a history nut -- there's a lot of detail you can skim past -- but the info dumps are on such varied legal, logistical & ethical issue from back then -- you find something that catches your interest (or indignation) and you WILL appreciate being given the information.

Still can't believe that deserter showed up again, didn't die & had the presumption to call himself not cruel on purpose. >< Very "I was following orders" and then some.
Kay
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-pb-or-hc
A very ambitious plotline with a lot of interwoven stories, so I am glad I had a physical copy of this book. The maps, genealogical charts and the list of characters came in quite handy. It would have been nice to have an additional family tree of the various Hapsburgs, but that was nothing a quick internet search couldn't fix.

I am still intrigued by this whole series and look forward to the rest.
Dianna Shimizu
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've really liked this series up until now. The first book was especially exciting with a West Virginia town being transplanted to 17th century Germany and how they adapted. But this book in the series was more like reading a history book with an endless and confusing cast of characters from history, when the reader really wanted to find out about the people in Grantville, so I was disappointed. I hope the rest of the books in the series are not like this one, and more like the first one.
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bavarian Crisis focus's on the Politics of the House of Habsburg and the effects of the Ring of Fire has had on that family in the 1632 Verse. New characters are introduced along with the continuing stories of all the characters both uptime and downtime. If you have not started this series I highly recommend getting started with the first book 1632. Otherwise keep reading, all of the books have been very enjoyable and I always learn a little more about this historical period.
John
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's like someone took a genealogy page and tried to write a story based on it. So much of the action happens "off screen", with so many 2d characters, and so many references to the seminal novel in the series and Grantville (where there's lots of novelty and action), that it's just not enjoyable to read.
Robert Scott
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Obviously read prior to 2010, no private note.
Lora
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this series
Scott
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the previous books in the story line, but this one was difficult to get through. The shear number of new characters added and side story lines really detracted from the book. It was easy to tell when Eric Flint wasn't writing because the book read like someone taking notes. There was little conversation and it was constantly jumping from one plot to the other. Dread set in any time Maria Anna was involved. I just could not enjoy her arc.

There's not much progression to the
Luci
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that the DeMarse books tend to drag quite a bit for me. The books generally have a very entertaining plot but are incredibly bogged down by unnecessary detail and stiff dialogue. It's an interesting book but it is very dense and doesn't pick up until the middle.
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Disappointing

This is the 6th book in the series (1632 Universe/ Asti Shards). The story starts of slowly and quickly becomes bogged down in details that only a historian would love. Details are not bad when they help set the mood, the setting, the plot, etc. But, when they do nothing to further the story, they hinder the story. The story jumps from place to place from this person to that one in an attempt cover multiple parts of the story happening about the same time. Some times this works well
Dorian
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: other-ebooks
This is a sprawlier book than "The Galileo Affair", but a more coherent one than "The Baltic War". It deals mostly with Maria Anna von Hapsburg, Archduchess of Austria. She gets mixed up with Veronica Dreeson (better known, perhaps, as the redoubtable Gretchen Richter's grandmother) and Mary Simpson (wife of Admiral John Simpson), and a certain degree of screwball comedy ensues.

It's not many authors that can combine a Hapsburg Archduchess and screwball comedy.

Maria Anna is sent off to marry her
Mattison
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Not the best in the series but is still good. Main downside is that it has 4 principle plot threads with several smaller ones along the way. It take quite a while to get all these threads started up and going. They all relate in the end, but initially they are a bit disjointed and I found myself wondering where the drama was.

It does finally get going and get exciting. It is more a book about characters than clash of arms. In fact I don't think there are any battles larger than a skirmish in this
Douglas Berry
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
While I love the Grantville series, and this book moved the metaplot along, I can't give it more than three stars. The problem is that it tries to do too much, and far too often the narrative bogs down in pages of historical details.

The plot, such as it is, is a mash of events taking place in southern Germany and Bavaria. There are just to many things going on. We have a dynastic marriage, plans to revitalize the iron mining industry in the Upper Palatinate, shady business dealings, a plague,
Warren Dunham
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
so this is the final book for the 1634 year in the 1632 series. trust me that sentence makes sense. This is were the format of this series comes to a head. 1632 and 1633 were books to themselves, 1634 was split into multiple books, not sequentially but each book takes a region and tells it's story. for the most part the format works we get a vast story with multiple simultaneous stories a huge cast of characters. The problem comes if you try to figure out how the stories interact or how various ...more
Lyle Miller
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Machiavellian intrigues abound

While a work of fiction, the authors have done a great job of describing the complex politics of 17th century Europe, in a book that is hard to put down. While it is not a story that stands on it's own, anyone who is already familiar with the characters and situation in this alternate universe will enjoy it. Reading the Baltic War first is a must, and the Gallileo Affair is very helpful.

Can't wait to start into 1635, although I have other books to read, first.
Leelan
Oct 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
The 1632 series is always a good read. Umpteen books so far and none of them have been bad. Most have been "Can't-put-it-down!" This one is a bit different than the rest in that most of the story is told from the point-of-view of an outsider, a down-timer, someone who looks at modern assumptions from the perspective of someone born in the 1600's. Interesting. Not as much action as the others, but I like it. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This series has repeatedly surprised me in how it still seems fresh and deeply engaging even after 2-3000 pages into this group of books. Perhaps its the deep bench of co-authors, who constantly bring new perspectives to the series, or that many of the volumes are not novels, but collections of short stories.
Keep 'em coming!
James Willey
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
A rambling mess of story telling.
Chris
Jun 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sffantasy
A lot of fun once it got going, and blessedly free from either sentence fragments (Flint's besetting sin) or David Weber's politics, which I can presumably thank Virginia DeMarce for, but OH DEAR GOD THE SUPERFLUOUS HUNDRED PAGES. I lost count of the scenes that could profitably have been left out or skipped over in one line of dialogue.
Barry
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another excellent read. A bit easier to read then some of the other books in the Ring of Fire series because it didn't try to follow as many people, although this book still followed a lot of people all over Europe. All the books would be easier to read if the maps were better. And if they used the same titles to refer to the same people. All in all, tho, a great read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• 1636: The Barbie Consortium (Ring of Fire Book 18)
  • 1635: Music and Murder (1632 Universe)
  • Bartley's Man (Ring of Fire)
  • The Danish Scheme
  • 1635: The Wars for the Rhine
  • 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz
  • Essen Steel
  • River of Night (Black Tide Rising #6)
  • No Ship for Tranquebar (Ring of Fire Press Fiction)
  • Essen Defiant (Ring of Fire)
  • March Upcountry (Empire of Man, #1)
  • Joseph Hanauer (Ring of Fire Press Fiction)
  • Pass of Fire (Destroyermen, #14)
  • March to the Sea (Empire of Man, #2)
  • We Few (Empire of Man, #4)
  • March to the Stars (Empire of Man, #3)
  • Up-time Pride and Down-time Prejudice (Ring of Fire #7)
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
Eric Flint is a New York Times bestselling American author, editor, and e-publisher. The majority of his main works are alternate history science fiction, but he also writes humorous fantasy adventures.

Assiti Shards (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • 1632
  • 1633
  • 1634 The Baltic War
  • 1634: The Galileo Affair (Assiti Shards, #3)
  • 1634: The Ram Rebellion (Assiti Shards, #4)
  • 1635: A Parcel of Rogues (Assiti Shards, #7)
  • 1635: Cannon Law (Assiti Shards, #8)
  • 1635: The Dreeson Incident (Assiti Shards, #9)
  • 1635: The Eastern Front
  • 1635: Papal Stakes (Assiti Shards, #11)