Start by marking “You Don't Look Like a Librarian: Shattering Stereotypes and Creating Positive New Images in the Internet Age” as Want to Read:

Librarian stereotypes have persisted for generations, yet their practical impact has rarely been studied. How pervasive are such stereotypes in the digital era, how are they changing, and how do they affect our daily work, our careers, and the future success of the profession? What can we do to defeat tired old perceptions and create positive new images? After exploring th ...more
Published March 23rd 2009 by Information Today, Inc. (first published March 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about You Don't Look Like a Librarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Don't Look Like a Librarian

Denae
I stumbled across You Don't Look Like a Librarian: Shattering Stereotypes and Creating Positive New Images in the Internet Age while randomly browsing at a library today. Shocking, right? Given the title, length and terrible choice of font, I did not have high expectations, but it seemed worth checking out. I'm glad I did. Not so much because the book said anything particularly profound, but because it is a trove of other books and media I now want to find. It was rather irking to see just how t ...more
Kimberly Hirsh
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Kneale chronicles librarians' own obsession with their image and makes suggestions for how to deal with people who say "But you don't look like a librarian!" (Why don't you look like a librarian? My problem is my lack of glasses.) She also provides a vast survey of the resources available for exploring this topic further.

This is a fun little book (and Liz B. of Tea Cozy wrote the forward!) but its companion website is even better than the book itself, because it offers links to all
Mandie
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: librarian-books
I don't know if I've ever been told I don't look like a librarian, but I know there is the stereotypical librarian image out there. And it's one most librarians try to avoid. Especially since it's important to present ourselves as people and a profession that's up-to-date and relevent in today's world.
Very interesting read and lots of good advice. Unfortunately, a lot of the websites and blog mentioned in the book are no longer current and some don't even exist anymore. Sad.
Cris
Jul 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Blah. It couldn't seem to decide what it was about. Did it want to focus on the stereotypes and characterizations of librarians in various medias? Or did it want to focus on how librarians as a profession can change/improve the stereotypes of the profession? Kneale seemed to reel between the two possibilities without accomplishing either.
Lora
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
I picked this up because I read a review about it. It was pretty dry and not really all that interesting. I found a few good blogs to read from it and it was interesting to see some of how librarians are portrayed in the entertainment world. However, I think I could have found both of those things easily by just Googling instead of reading this book.
Rosemary
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
An enjoyable enough book for a quick glance into the stereotype-busters of the professsion. I appreciate all the links Ms. Kneale provides for further reading. Some of the featured librarians ran a little dry though.
La Biblio Geek
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
J'ai apprécié pour les suggestions de lecture et pour les quelques passages plutôt comiques qui m'ont fait sourire, mais c'est un livre qu'on prend et qu'on repose souvent. Il ne m'a pas intéressé au point de vouloir le lire d'un trait.
Abby
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it
A fun, quick read. Does a good job of bringing up stereotypes and demonstrating the wide range of librarians, but does not offer concrete ideas of how to combat stereotypes and negative/limited public perception. I'll enjoy checking out all the library cartoons and links online, though.
Kathryn Bergeron
Jul 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, library
Summary: Librarians - we don't all have a bun (though, as a sidenote, I do).

Review: This was an interesting book. I finished it, but not enthusiastically. I also didn't learn a whole lot from it, except I got some book and comic recommendations about librarians. Meh.
Mary-Michelle Moore
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
The results of a survey about appearances of librarians in pop culture and of people working int he field, I was hoping for something a little more depth. It has several nice overviews/profiles on some movers and shakers in the field.
Kelly
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Positive reminders of relevancy in today's world. Libraries and librarians are changing -- but that's not a bad thing.
Cindy K
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
excellent combination of facts, history, humour, and a great look at the current library industry
Erin
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Good for pointing out some librarian-related books and comics I had not seen before. There were an awful lot of exclamation points in this book, which kind of wore thin.
Drew
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Every librarian and library school student must read this book!
Aubrey
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome way to point out the stereotypes of librarians and great resources listed in the book!
Aubrey
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Martha
Jun 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Enjoyable but nothing really new here.
Sara