Start by marking “You Don't Look Like a Librarian: Shattering Stereotypes and Creating Positive New Images in the Internet Age” as Want to Read:

Librarian stereotypes have persisted for generations, yet their practical impact has rarely been studied. How pervasive are such stereotypes in the digital era, how are they changing, and how do they affect our daily work, our careers, and the future success of the profession? What can we do to defeat tired old perceptions and create positive new images? After exploring th ...more
Published March 23rd 2009 by Information Today, Inc. (first published March 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about You Don't Look Like a Librarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Don't Look Like a Librarian

Start your review of You Don't Look Like a Librarian: Shattering Stereotypes and Creating Positive New Images in the Internet Age
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

I am currently pursuing an MLIS degree and am writing a paper on gender stereotypes and librarians for one of my classes. This book looked perfect for a little light research so I got a copy from the library (of course).

Overall, this book was well-written. It is very casual, which makes for easy, conversational reading. The book is broken down into sections touching on various stereotypes, representations in pop culture, blurbs about various libra
Carolyn
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
It's a good 'What-to-Read-Next' list and TV Guide for anyone looking for more stories about librarians, but I was hoping for more in-depth analysis. It might be a bit outdated even now--I can't seem to access the Library Underground website at the link given. I definitely didn't know about music featuring librarians though, and thoroughly enjoyed learning about BloodHag, a band that apparently throws used books into their audience during concerts.
Matt Thomas
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a fascinating topic and covered quite well but much of it is written so as to fall victim to time, referencing tools, sites and trends that, a decade later, are old or gone. I would recommend this to anyone knowledgeable about the topic of librarian representation already or for a collection that is supposed to be comprehensive.
Denae
I stumbled across You Don't Look Like a Librarian: Shattering Stereotypes and Creating Positive New Images in the Internet Age while randomly browsing at a library today. Shocking, right? Given the title, length and terrible choice of font, I did not have high expectations, but it seemed worth checking out. I'm glad I did. Not so much because the book said anything particularly profound, but because it is a trove of other books and media I now want to find. It was rather irking to see just how t ...more
Kimberly Hirsh
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Kneale chronicles librarians' own obsession with their image and makes suggestions for how to deal with people who say "But you don't look like a librarian!" (Why don't you look like a librarian? My problem is my lack of glasses.) She also provides a vast survey of the resources available for exploring this topic further.

This is a fun little book (and Liz B. of Tea Cozy wrote the forward!) but its companion website is even better than the book itself, because it offers links to all
Mandie
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: librarian-books
I don't know if I've ever been told I don't look like a librarian, but I know there is the stereotypical librarian image out there. And it's one most librarians try to avoid. Especially since it's important to present ourselves as people and a profession that's up-to-date and relevent in today's world.
Very interesting read and lots of good advice. Unfortunately, a lot of the websites and blog mentioned in the book are no longer current and some don't even exist anymore. Sad.
Cris
Jul 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Blah. It couldn't seem to decide what it was about. Did it want to focus on the stereotypes and characterizations of librarians in various medias? Or did it want to focus on how librarians as a profession can change/improve the stereotypes of the profession? Kneale seemed to reel between the two possibilities without accomplishing either.
Lora
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
I picked this up because I read a review about it. It was pretty dry and not really all that interesting. I found a few good blogs to read from it and it was interesting to see some of how librarians are portrayed in the entertainment world. However, I think I could have found both of those things easily by just Googling instead of reading this book.
Rosemary
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
An enjoyable enough book for a quick glance into the stereotype-busters of the professsion. I appreciate all the links Ms. Kneale provides for further reading. Some of the featured librarians ran a little dry though.
La Biblio Geek
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
J'ai apprécié pour les suggestions de lecture et pour les quelques passages plutôt comiques qui m'ont fait sourire, mais c'est un livre qu'on prend et qu'on repose souvent. Il ne m'a pas intéressé au point de vouloir le lire d'un trait.
Abby
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it
A fun, quick read. Does a good job of bringing up stereotypes and demonstrating the wide range of librarians, but does not offer concrete ideas of how to combat stereotypes and negative/limited public perception. I'll enjoy checking out all the library cartoons and links online, though.
Kathryn Bergeron
Jul 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, library
Summary: Librarians - we don't all have a bun (though, as a sidenote, I do).

Review: This was an interesting book. I finished it, but not enthusiastically. I also didn't learn a whole lot from it, except I got some book and comic recommendations about librarians. Meh.
Mary-Michelle Moore
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
The results of a survey about appearances of librarians in pop culture and of people working int he field, I was hoping for something a little more depth. It has several nice overviews/profiles on some movers and shakers in the field.
Kel
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Positive reminders of relevancy in today's world. Libraries and librarians are changing -- but that's not a bad thing.
Cindy K
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
excellent combination of facts, history, humour, and a great look at the current library industry
Erin
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Good for pointing out some librarian-related books and comics I had not seen before. There were an awful lot of exclamation points in this book, which kind of wore thin.
Drew
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Every librarian and library school student must read this book!
Aubrey
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome way to point out the stereotypes of librarians and great resources listed in the book!
Martha
Jun 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Enjoyable but nothing really new here.
Sara
Amanda Oddo
Jun 26, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Library: An Illustrated History
  • Magic or Madness (Magic or Madness, #1)
  • The Blue Girl (Newford, #15)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • Magic Lessons (Magic or Madness, #2)
  • The Book of Phoenix (Who Fears Death, #0.5)
  • Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism
  • Giant Days, Vol. 1 (Giant Days, #1)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 2: Friendship to the Max (Lumberjanes, Vol. 2)
  • Year of Wonders
  • The Bay At Midnight
  • The Manticore (The Deptford Trilogy, #2)
  • Batgirl, Vol. 1: Beyond Burnside
  • UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)
  • The Infernal Path (Rat Queens #6)
  • An Abundance of Katherines
  • Wenjack
  • The Mystic Wolves (Mystic Wolves, #1)