Start by marking “Tesuji (Elementary Go Series, #3)” as Want to Read:
Tesuji (Elementary Go Series, #3)

Tesuji

(Elementary Go Series #3)

Tesujis are the tactics of short range combat in the game of go. This volume presents over three hundred examples and problems of them, aimed at training the reader to read and spot the right play in all sorts of tactical situations. It covers a wide range of material while concentrating on fundamentals; its problems manage to be both hard enough to challenge and easy enou ...more
Published April 1st 1975 by Ishi Press International

To ask other readers questions about Tesuji, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tesuji

Start your review of Tesuji (Elementary Go Series, #3)
Andrew
Feb 25, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a great book chock-full of techniques as well as problems to test yourself on.

Some tesuji (tactics) can be recognised and immediately played in-game. However many others require more subtle execution and are harder to recognise in-game; unfortunately this book describes those mostly by example and it's up to the reader to try to extract their general principles. Indeed many tesuji reappear under different functions without their critical properties highlighted.

The book can be heavy going
Manny
May 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: games, japanese, go-go-go
Combinations are the heart of chess, as they say, and similarly tesuji (literally, "skillful moves") are the heart of Go. This book gives you a nice introduction.

Here's an example of a tesuji, the "crane's nest", which is about as basic as it gets; it's sort of the Go equivalent of the smothered mate. Recall that, in Go, you capture by surrounding the opponent's stones. Black has just played 1, trying to connect the three stones on the left to the circled stone on the right:

description

White now counters w
Eric Nguyen
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though it's elementary already, I still don't get some stuff inside. Not recommended for a COMPLETE beginner like me, you've got to at least know some basic stuff like hane, joseki and probably ladder and net, etc.
Peter
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: games-puzzles
A superb book to teach the tactics of Go.
It's almost worth a 5* but falls down just slightly in that it presents dozens of different techniques, but doesn't really explain how to choose between them, so can leave you paralysed by too much choice. But practice all these problems and sooner or later you will find yourself outthinking your opponent and getting that warm glow of satisfaction and smugness when you split apart stones that (s)he thought linked, or linking stones that seemed hopelessly
Chloe Moon
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! There is so much to learn in here!

A 5d friend of mine gave me this, Attack and Defense, and Kageyama's Fundamentals. He said that I can basically keep re-reading each and they're all I'll ever need. While I've read numerous other books, I do think that these three have been the most enlightening and helpful books I've read.

I first worked through this cover to cover from 15-10k, and then again from 9-7k. There are parts I've fully absorbed, but so much of it is fuzzy or just didn't stick
jed
Apr 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: go players
A must for anybody learning go. I had already been playing for a while when I read it, yet it still had tactics to offer. And even if you know all the tesuji in the world there are plenty of puzzles to solve.

I have read this book maybe 3 times cover to cover, but found it much more useful to read a chapter and then play some games trying to apply the tactics I had learned.
Joy
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: games
#3 in a great series of books for beginner Go players--that is, players who have mastered the basic rules but are pretty much at sea when it comes to actual strategy. My only complaint is that this book forces me to think so hard that I end up getting a headache when I try to read more than one chapter at a time.
Jeff
Nov 15, 2009 is currently reading it
This is a fantastically well-written and well-laid-out book. It presents concepts, explains their applicability, gives a few examples, and then gives 2-4 practice problems. My game is improving rapidly as I continue my study.
Frank
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book about fifteen years ago. It's time to read it again.

Many good basic techniques in here, useful in games and helpful to review.
Stefano
Jul 17, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giochi
Tesuji by James Davies (1998)
Bee
Dec 03, 2016
Brendan
Jan 19, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Graded Go Problems For Beginners Vol. 3: Intermediate Problems (20 - 15 kyu)

Elementary Go Series (7 books)
  • In the Beginning  (Elementary Go Series, #1)
  • 38 Basic Joseki (Elementary Go Series, #2)
  • Life and Death (Elementary Go Series, #4)
  • Attack and Defense (Elementary Go Series, #5)
  • The Endgame (Elementary Go Series, #6)
  • Handicap Go (Elementary Go Series, #7)