Start by marking “The Buddhist Handbook: A Complete Guide to Buddhist Schools, Teaching, Practice, and History” as Want to Read:

The most comprehensive guide to Buddhism and its exponents in the Western world--with fully updated information on Buddhist organizations around the world.

A Who's Who of contemporary teachers, writers, and practitioners.

Provides thorough summaries of all major Buddhist traditions around the world.

An excellent introduction to the fastest-growing religion in the West.

Published March 1st 1999 by Inner Traditions (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Buddhist Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buddhist Handbook

Start your review of The Buddhist Handbook: A Complete Guide to Buddhist Schools, Teaching, Practice, and History
Frank Jude
In looking up The Buddhist Handbook: A Complete Guide to Buddhist Schools, Teaching, Practice, and History by John Snelling, I see that the updated and revised edition they are selling is from 1999. I wanted to check because my edition is the first, from 1991. With the fast-pace of our internet-age society, things go out of date quickly and so even with something from 1999, Im sure that one of my criticisms still holds: the section on the contemporary Buddhist scene is, by nature, always gong to ...more
Nicollette
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, buddhism
Extremely helpful with the understanding behind Buddhist culture.
Inside this book their is reading on the subjects of the teachings, practices, history, their belief in the afterlife.
I still pick up this book anything I question something in the Buddhist religion.
Paul
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great summary on the general teachings of Buddhism in the first few chapters, but becomes hard to finish when it goes into detail. Felt like reading a list of every person and organization that had a hand in shaping Buddhism. It's good for research purposes but too academic for a casual read.
Jordan Tomeš
Neurazí. Ale k osvícení asi taky úplně nedovede.
Bankim
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book for its outstandingly clear explanation of all fundamental doctrines of Theravada,Mahayana and Vajrayana buddhism. Very useful reference indeed.
Donna
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
Ive wanted to read about Eastern religions for many years, and never took the time. What I discovered in the first few pages is that Buddhist philosophy is already a big part of my personal belief system.concepts that I assimilated and incorporated into my being many many years ago, and I just didnt realize how they melded with the Buddhist religion. It turns out that I already knew about the basic tenets, but some of the details surprised (and excited) me. Some examples: Buddhism is very ...more
Fuego Primero
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A los curiosos sobre el tema
Este trabajo documental esta dirigido a personas que no tienen idea sobre esta doctrina religiosa; esta tratado de una forma muy elemental y su razón de ser, es presentar el budismo sin hacer proselitismo - Claro esta el proselitismo se presenta indirectamente - en mi caso particular me aclaro muchas dudas que tenia al respecto, que bien por desconocimiento o por ideas infundadas me imaginaba que era completamente distinto a lo que allí encontré plasmado.

Mi objetivo era aumentar mi acervo
Tom
May 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not really recommendable. Basic, disorganized, not particularly well-written. Just one example: "mindfulness", a currently popular buzz-word that I'd like to see precisely defined, is never defined, although it's repeatedly used and figures prominently in the index.
Ruth Soz
This took a lot of concentration and wasn't quite the introduction I was looking for. But it still had a lot of useful information and helped shed light on the topic.
Sue