Start by marking “At a Journal Workshop” as Want to Read:
At a Journal Workshop

At a Journal Workshop

s/t: Writing to Access the Power of the Unconscious & Evoke Creative Ability
This revised and expanded edition of the classic At a Journal Workshop, a self-published bestseller, offers the reader access to the most widely praised method of diary writing. This rich, insightful work is a treasure for all those involved in self-inquiry, artistic creation and spiritual
Published May 1st 1992 by TarcherPerigee (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about At a Journal Workshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At a Journal Workshop

Start your review of At a Journal Workshop
Tara
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've started my journal work using Progoff's method for the second time. I was unable to keep in the process the first time, but I still have those entries, like old records to return to and ponder over. Incredibly, what I was able to accomplish during that chaotic time is valuable today as a teaching tool, when I am at a crossroads in my life. I've been working with it for a few weeks and already notice my self-compassion increase, as well as a feeling of potential or possibility well within ...more
Alison Whiteman
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An experiental workshop using this journaling method does not compare to reading the book.

Attending a two-day workshop in the mid-90s was one of the most beneficial activities I have done in my life. I would enjoy attending more workshops in the future.

The methodology weaves the past, present and future of one's life in a manner I have never experienced.
Erik Akre
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: journal lovers; explorers of unconscious image, idea, thought
Anyone with a serious journaling habit and a desire to move even more deeply within... anyone interested in the visionary and mystical aspect of the unconscious... anyone wanting to loosen the boundaries that hold the psyche in its cage... anyone who thrives on imagination, loves to write, digs dreams, looks for secrets and new inspirations... not to mention anyone who's simply looking for a vehicle for new creative endeavors...

This book is for you. It draws on the wisdom of the unconscious, and
Ann M
Dec 26, 2009 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
It's really wordy -- so many extra words to say the least little thing that it's distracting me from the kernel of the book. Expanding this edition was probably a mistake. It could use serious cutting, at least 50%.
Flexnib
Dec 23, 2012 marked it as to-read
A very difficult book - not so much in the subject matter, but in the way it's been written and organised. It's so dense and rambly that I found it very difficult to work out the actual writing exercises and practices. Perhaps it would be more useful if I attend one of the courses around which the book is based. As it is, I cannot gauge its usefulness at this point. I'm writing with Christina Baldwin's Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Quest instead. It's far easier to follow and ...more
Joann
The 3 stars are how I feel about it right now. Thirty years ago I might have given it 5. I have the 3rd edition, 1976. I took three Journal workshop classes based on the procedures outlined in this book. The process was interesting and stimulating. I wrote and wrote. At times it was painful and at times exhilarating.

What did I get out of it? I have no idea except I'm still writing and doing lots of things. Was the book helpful? I don't know... I haven't looked at it or my journals of that time
Maxine
Dec 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Astonishingly long winded and abstract, for a book on something as practical as a journaling programme. The exercises must be in there somewhere but I couldn't find them in all the pontificating.

I'm surprised the book has a decent rating when a number of reviewers seem to have found it unreadable or unusable without attending the workshop. Is the workshop being reviewed, or the book?

I'm sure the approach is very good. I wish the author had written a decent book about it. I found out about some
Kathy Hardy
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
bought this book as I love journalling and this book gives a structure of historical and reflections, the present moment as well as movements into the future. It is a very beneficial method of journalling and making changes and transitions in an individuals life.
Judy
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book in the 70's when it first came out and really started my love of journaling. I just came across a copy of the book again and am thrilled to have it on my bookshelf.
Andrea Paterson
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Whoa...I'm about 80 pages into this book and am completely fascinated by this method. There's some powerful stuff in here.

Susan
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting book on the journal ethic. Not for the faint hearted though
Debbie
Mar 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Egads I found this book to be way too verbose. It was painful to plod through it. I am an advocate of journaling but this volume is not a resource I will return to again.

No where on the cover or book description did it indicate that Christianity would be shoved down my throat constantly. I was looking for a more spiritual writing than dogma.

Tilopa
Progoff est un pionnier dans le recours au journal intime à des fins de développement personnel.
Chris
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: half-read
good book to assist with challenging journaling style.
Anita
Dec 31, 2019 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: non-fiction
Read the first third of the book and practiced some of the technique. I quit reading and working with the process which is too intensive and complex for me.
Harry Robinson
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had purchased a copy of this book years ago, at a time in my life when I thought that the rigorous methodology of journal writing described would be of benefit to me. I did not finish the book at that time, nor did I undertake to follow the methodology; both for unrelated reasons. Nevertheless, I believe that keeping a journal is highly beneficial, and liked many of the author's ideas. So I retained the book, thinking to try it again at some other time in my life.

I recently pulled it off my
Alvaro
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Following an excellent weekly retire on the subject I decided to go to the origins. The method developed by Progoff was an excellent introspection on the basics of my personality, my defects, my strenghts, to heal some of my wounds. Almost each chapter is an exercise that helps you discover the milestones in your life (marriage, lost of parents, etc), the intersections with people that helped you growth, people that take you down, the dialogues you imagine with those people, jobs, events that ...more
Anne
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I'd love to have the time to put this wonderful book's method into practice; I have friends who have done so and their creative lives have been transformed. I do at times use some of his meditation ideas for my writing, and have begun to organise all my stray notes by the Progoff categories .. it's a very organic, natural and intriguing process for both writing and discovering the inner springs of creativity.
Lynda
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is not an easy book to read and comprehend. I read it once and then took the workshop...wrote and read some more...and then took the workshop again. I met a woman there who took the workshop yearly as long as it was offered in the area. I stopped after 2.

This is a gook book and I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to put out the effort. When I read it there were not many journalling books around. I now have 2 shelves worth.
Vicki
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Too full of "big words" that could have been written in a way that the lay person could understand. It helped a lot that I've read so many other books on creative writing therapy. It's full of self-exploriation and expression, actually it's about keeping a journal. But insists on a structured format. Which I do not buy into. All in all, it was a good reference book.
Michael Neal
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a streamlined how-to handbook [ all in one book this time ] of Progoff's extremely effective manual. His method is a ground-up approach to 'therapy' - that is, you don't get 100's of pages saying what one might or may encounter wrt to Inner Work - you do get a method which allows inner content to become conscious. Method over theory.
Chelsea
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
The book is very good at presenting, in detail, what the Journal Workshop is all about. My problem was that it was SO detailed, I just couldn't get into it. Maybe at another time since I am interested in the subject.
Reuel
Mar 28, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is quite good, although I'm not currently interested in following through with its activities. I suspect that doing the writing/journal exercises might produce very interesting and informative personal insights.
Hella
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobio, journaling
Complete doe-het-zelf workshop (ook voor docenten) over het schrijven van een autobiografie om meer inzicht te krijgen in hoe je je leven wilt vormgeven. Doorwrocht en de moeite waard, ook als je de adviezen niet precies navolgt.
Maureen
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I attended one of these workshops in the 1980's. My 1975 copy is long gone. I now own the revised 1992 version.
Janet
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good description of the journal process that Ira Progoff developed.
Christine Poarch
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Progoff 1 5 Nov 07, 2007 05:37PM

• Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within
  • Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
  • Top Secret Twenty-One (Stephanie Plum, #21)
  • The Elements of Style
  • The Creative Writing Coursebook: Forty Authors Share Advice and Exercises for Fiction and Poetry
  • Steal Like An Artist Wall Calendar 2017
  • Creative Writing: A Workbook with Readings
  • Calm: Calm the Mind. Change the World
  • On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction
  • You Are A Writer (So Start Acting Like One)
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inspiration for Writers: 101 Motivational Stories for Writers – Budding or Bestselling – from Books to Blogs
  • Leap Write In!: Adventures in Creative Writing to Stretch and Surprise Your One-of-a-Kind Mind
  • 642 Things to Draw: Inspirational Sketchbook to Entertain and Provoke the Imagination (Drawing Books, Art Journals, Doodle Books, Gifts for Artist)
  • Rip the Page!: Adventures in Creative Writing
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Practice
  • The Finish Rich Workbook: Creating a Personalized Plan for a Richer Future (Get out of debt, Put your dreams in action and achieve Financial Freedom
  • Creating Money: Keys to Abundance
  • Still Writing: The Perils and Pleasures of a Creative Life
The former director of Dialogue House, Dr. Ira Progoff has worked toward a dynamic, humanistic psychology as private therapist, lecturer, and group leader. He has served as Bollingen Fellow and as Director of the Institute for Research in Depth Psychology at Drew University. He was a leading authority on C.G. Jung, depth psychology and transpersonal psychology as well as journal writing.

Dr.