Start by marking “The Case of the Fabulous Fake (Perry Mason Mysteries (Fawcett Books))” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Fabulous Fake (Perry Mason Mysteries (Fawcett Books))

The Case of the Fabulous Fake (Perry Mason Mysteries

(Perry Mason #80)

SILENCE IS MURDER

Perry Mason's beautiful new client isn't giving anything away, not even her name, and he suspects that what she does choose to reveal is mostly lies. Certainly the bag full of cash she carries isn't shopping money. All the mystery woman asks is that Mason make himself available for a few days in case she needs him--for what purpose, she remains silent as t
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published October 31st 2000 by Fawcett (first published 1969)

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Fabulous Fake (Perry Mason Mysteries

Start your review of The Case of the Fabulous Fake (Perry Mason Mysteries (Fawcett Books))
Evgeny
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Perry Mason had a new client: a young woman who refused to identify herself paid him a retainer to get her out of troubles in case she got into some in the near future. After the client left Mason's phone operator warned him that she - the client - carried a large amount of cash in her bag. Fairly soon it became obvious blackmail was involved. Sometime way after the mid point a dead body finally showed up and Mason had to do what he does best: defend his client against a murder charge.

Let me ge
Richa
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little bit repetetive and also, the usual Mason style of suddenly providing the correct solution at the very end of the book. One would feel, Mason is not a legal eagle but a clairvoyant.
Veronica
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
De niña veía la serie de televisión y siempre lo consideré un gran Abogado, que podía defender los casos más raros y difíciles. Es por eso que me animé a leer sus libros y me compre una colección de segunda mano. Este es el primero que leo.

Realmente lo disfruté. Te cautiva desde el comienzo porque sabes que su cliente le está ocultando algo grande. Conociendo lo curioso que es Perry Mason, eso llamará mucho más su atención.

Me gustó que no pudieras imaginarte el final hasta que el mismo Perry M
Anna
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The one where Mason was running after his client for giving her a bad advice. The book consists mostly of mystery. No murder is mentioned until 68% of the book, which must a record for Gardner. Preliminary trial starts at 77%. Overall, it's a nice read, I enjoyed it as always. It's ridiculous how easy it used to be to fly. It involves hit and run, intrigues, blackmail, embankment, affairs and a gun.

Mason is visited by a mysterious young woman who refuses to give her name. She is to disappear an
Lola
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A woman comes into the office but won't tell Perry Mason her name or anything about her case. She just wants to pay him a retaining fee "in case" she needs him in the next few days. She's also carrying a bag with lots of money in it.
Her brother's unconscious in the hospital after a car accident. Money is missing from their job.
She thinks she needs to use the money to get him out of trouble but not knowing what trouble he may be in.
I don't find suspense in Perry Mason stories. It's more about how
Race Bannon Berns
Another peculiar but interesting case for Perry
Mason. It always fascinates me how intricate
and strange the presentation of the "set up" is,
but in this case the resolution is not so clever
or at least the actual facts of the case allow
Mason to come to the conclusions that he does.

Still very dated for today's world, but an
entertaining quick read.
Sandy Chris
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Until about page 115, I was beginning to think that this wasn't such a great book by the great Erle Stanley Gardner. But, there's a reason why he is awesome and the last 65 pages prove it. I was blown away, as usual. :)
Juan Carlos Santillán
”El caso de la simpática impostora" (3/5)

Una guapa muchacha acude al despacho de Perry Mason para contratarlo sin contarle nada de su problema. Junto a su secretaria, Della Street, y su amigo detective, Paul Drake, Mason se hará cargo del caso. Como siempre, ligero y fluido.

31.12.18
Wonderful Me
listening to audiobook is better than reading, although I sometimes fell asleep while listening. XD
Sandra
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story. I remember watching Perry Mason Tv series when I was younger. So this was interesting to read one of the books that the Tv series was based on.
Jeff Correll
A slow starter, but things picked up as it went along.
James Vest
A quick book, with an even quicker trip to court, the book mainly focuses on Perry Mason hunting for clues due to his client’s reluctance to share anything truthful.
Frank
Read back in the 70s
Mare
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perry's mind is always fascinating to encounter.
Carl Buehler
Not one of the better efforts
Bob
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books off and on for decades. Many years ago, I was an intense fan of the series, and read them all. Now, after a lot of water over the dam, I'm looking at them again. I still love the general setting: the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That, and the ingenious plots, are why I read Perry Mason.

This is number 80 in the long series, from 1969. It is among the latest written, and it shows. There are a few interesting parts,
Ed
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, legal
#80 in the Perry Mason series. Another case of embezzlement and blackmail - it seems that the brother of Perry's client was being blackmailed and may have been an embezzler. However, he was struck by an auto and in a coma. Perry's client is operating in the dark and since she insists on following her instincts rather than legal advice, it puts Perry behind the eight ball trying to defend her.

#80 Perry Mason series - Perry Mason's beautiful new client isn't giving anything away, not even her name
Illuminati8
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One day, Perry Mason is visited by a girl who wants him as her attorney in case of any trouble there-forth. But the girl is not willing to disclose her name and agrees upon a code with which they are to communicate. The code is a measurement, 36-24-36. But, as with the other things the girl told him, this turns out to be an exaggeration and a lie. Within a couple of days, Perry Mason finds himself in the midst of blackmail, embezzlement and of course murder.

Perry has had worst clients but the gi
E
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was only the second Perry Mason novel I've read. It's quite late--1969, or 30 years after the other one I've read (The Case of the Perjured Parrot (Perry Mason Mysteries). It is OK. The plot was somewhat convoluted (wait, is that the criterion for a good mystery now? perhaps not), but the suspect pool was so small that you basically had a 50/50 shot in guessing the perpetrator. No interesting clues or other courtroom pyrotechnics from Perry; just some basic common sense. I will definitely n ...more
Rob Smith, Jr.
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
This is my first Perry Mason book and if this is any indication of the rest of the series I'll dive into the 30 or so other novels I have. I've been collecting them for years, mostly due to the Robert McGinnis paintings used for the covers. Guess I'll be reading more!

This was a very engaging and fun book to read. it was also well written. It moved very fast and yet the characters were well presented. The backdrop was more than a little sketchy and often it was hard to imagine the area the charac
Rick Bavera
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read.

The resolution of the story didn't come until the last few pages....the way I think books should be. So many books these days have a resolution, then go on sadly for another 50 or 100 pages.

Anyway.....reading the book, I wasn't sure how it would end up. And I could picture the characters as portrayed on the old TV series, which made the read even better.

Doug Dams
In this story Perry takes on a client that won't give her name. Eventually a black mailer is revealed and a murder occurs. Perry has to struggle with a client that won't tell him the truth and continues to find trouble. It's a good story with the theme of trusting your lawyer and the mystery is eventually solved in the courtroom.
Judy
Jul 29, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: detective/murder mystery fans
This book was ©1969 - an age of relative innocence when it was still okay to carry a gun onto a plane - and Perry Mason says things like, "The deuce!" Gardner's first Perry Mason book was published in 1933. This is the first one I have read - and after having watched Perry Mason on TV all these years - I saw all the characters in this book perfectly - in black and white.
Edeliz
A case where the guilty one is the obvious one, at last. However, having read so many PM cases where there was a last minute twist, I am inclined to second-guess my first guess. My favorite part of this story is where Perry masterfully demonstrated, with two questions, why the defendant could not have fired the gun.
Les Anderson
Well Perry Mason pulls this one out of his a....um.....out of nowhere. As usual, every piece of evidence looks like it will convict his client who, of course, follows her own ideas. The guilty party sure looks suspicious but where Mason draws his conclusion from is beyond me. I think ESG is showing his age.
Elizabeth S
Dec 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: n-mystery, z-2011, c-adult
I wish I'd written this when I rated the book right after reading it. I don't remember anything special about this book other than the eye-rolling at the client's chosen alias "36-24-36". Gee, how dumb.

In general, I liked the Perry Mason books okay, but not great.
Stephanie
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this Perry Mason mystery, but I am wondering if 36-24-36 is going to be in every one I read. Poor Della Street had to deal with so much in the work place that women today could sue over. I guess she was also working with a gentleman, which is also a rare find these days.
Vincent Darlage
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Apparently I liked this one better this time around than I did on the first go around, more than a decade ago. The client kept lying to Mason to such a degree that the reader didn't always know what was up, which made for a fun adventure.
Stven
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More 1960s Perry Mason, but a cut above the last couple I read. By 1969 I have a feeling ESG was writing these things with one eye on how well they'd adapt to TV. But this one works fine.
Goragori
Feb 05, 2017
Goodreads Librari...: Combine an edition 2 16 Aug 03, 2014 04:55PM

• Turn on the Heat (Cool & Lam)
  • The Moving Target (Lew Archer #1)
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • Weep Not, Child
  • Bare: The Blesser’s Game
  • The Man Who Went Up in Smoke (Martin Beck, #2)
  • The Naked Face
  • The Ivory Grin (Lew Archer #4)
  • The Copenhagen Connection
  • The Barbarous Coast
  • Simisola (Inspector Wexford, #16)
  • Some Lie and Some Die (Inspector Wexford, #8)
  • Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)
  • The Landlady
  • A Sleeping Life (Inspector Wexford, #10)
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • An Unkindness of Ravens (Inspector Wexford, #13)
  • Murder Being Once Done (Inspector Wexford, #7)

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye