Start by marking “Her Majesty's Men” as Want to Read:
Her Majesty's Men

Her Majesty's Men

(Her Majesty's Men #1)

Her Majesty's Men is the story of two soldiers in the British Forces and of a friendship taking unexpected turns. In the eyes of the Army they are just two mates who are close. But from the revelation of personal secrets, ensuing hatred and aggression, through terror and danger, to loyalty, triumphant strength and courage, grows their own realisation of what they are: comr ...more
Published November 26th 2008 by Camouflage Press (first published November 1st 2008)

Start your review of Her Majesty's Men
Nancy
Cross-posted at Shelf Inflicted and at Outlaw Reviews

This is the story of two British solders, Alex Turner and Tom Warren, who are comrades, best friends, and eventually, lovers. Though Tom is discreet about his sexuality, he trusts his friend enough to come out to him. Unfortunately, Alex reacts harshly, putting a temporary strain on their friendship. Alex's behavior sucked, Tom’s crush on Alex bordered on obsessive, and the short sentences and terse dialogue didn't appeal. The Britishisms I e
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
The first part is 5* for the tension and 4* for the writing, the second part is the opposite, 5* for writing and 4* for tension, so it's overall a 4.5*.

The blurb explains the story very well, so I won't re-tell it, but basically Tom is gay and in lust/love of his best friend Alex; Alex is straight, but the torture he survived during a mission left him with physical and psychological scars. And if you're wondering: no, there's no magic-cock healing.

In the first part we read from Tom's point-of-vi
Sofia
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it

Very intense writing.

Whilst reading this I was curious, curious about how Marquesate was going to make this work and she did. She made it work.

The book is told from two point of views, the first part from Tom’s and the second part from Alex’s. This was a good tactic as it gave me a good grasp of both the characters. During the first part I got worried about Tom and how seemingly hopeless his case was. Alex’s development started from the beginning with his anger, hopelessness, to seeing hope, to
Lily
This wonderfully gripping intense book is the story of Sgt Tom Warren and SSgt Alex Turner, both Royal Engineers in the British Forces. They've been best mates for three years but lately Tom has been having a tough time hiding his deeper feelings about Alex.

Tom and Alex are both tough military Alpha men with hard demanding jobs. This is not a typical M/M romance book. It's so much more than that. It's an action-packed, oftentimes violent and brutal story with two protags that are seemingly perfe
JR
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, romance, life
I loved this. It totally enveloped me from the first words. It has all the intensity of Special Forces in shorter form. I really cared for Tom and Alex. I love the way their relationship develops, with Tom already head over heels for Alex. Alex totally unaware. Tom is so intense about his desires, so afraid to reveal them. His turmoil is palatable. When they finally come together, it is not before a very hurtful scene in which Alex reveals his bigotry.
Later on Alex rescues Tom and his sole pur
Trisha Harrington
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a nice read and I loved the way the relationship developed. It was sweet to see the way Alex who was straight reacted to falling in love with another man. I have always believed in love the person not the gender. That phrase is important here, I have never really believed you are truly straight or truly gay. We all can fall in love, its the person people fall in love with, not the gender. I love military men and this was no exception. :)
Simsala
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: The black coffee crowd...
4,5 stars

Violence as aphrodisiac -
rough,raw,engrossing and unputdownable...
Martin
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-m-m
Wow, just wow. This really impressed me, although I started reading it wondering *what* I was actually reading here. It didn't feel like a military romance at all...

The first half of the story is told from Sgt. Tom Warren's POV.

He's a gay soldier with the British Royal Marines - deeply in the closet, of course, but accepting of who he is and how he feels.

While being a sexually active, no-strings attached man in gay clubs on weekends, he's deeply infatuated with his handsome straight best frie
HereAndNow
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The most convincing "GFO" story I've ever read. Hands down.

I LOVED IT ! So much !

The only “downside”: it was hardly enough ! I want(ed) so much more of Tom and Alex, one of the two most amazing characters I’ve ever read about. I wish this book had 1,000 pages instead of just a little bit over 100.

But anyway, this book gets 5+++ stars from me because the writing is perfect and it’s stunning, intense, gut wrenching, beautiful, passionate, sexy, nail biting (!), hear wrenching, and so freaking ero
Major English (Laura)
4.5 Stars

I usually dont gravitate towards military books, but I am glad I read this one.

This is the story of Tom and Alex, two British soldiers in the army. These men are best friends and Tom has always been attracted to Alex, but never acted on his feelings as Tom was always happy with Alex as a friend.

This story is an interesting way of doing "gay for you" and I liked it. I won't give anything away, but it does fit the "gay for you" genre.

This story really has it all: lust, friendship and a
ElaineY
Oct 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-themes, mm
I saw 'Special Forces' footprints all over this story. Now, I LOVED SF (even if I didn't care for the orgiastic Mercenaries section) but HMM felt a little too similar down to the abruptness of the writing, the staccato feel of some sentences and the scenes.

I liked Alex and Tom but didn't care for the initial sex scenes as it felt too much like Dan and Vadim cut out of SF and pasted here in HMM. Despite the repetitive feel of the story, I could buy into Tom's and Alex's romance as the characters
Ana_P
So, this was basically my reaction throughout the entire book:
description

This book was just intense, intense, intense from the beginning, and it never let up. Now I am not saying this is a bad thing; this book had me gripping the edge of my seat the whole way through.

description
I just could not put it down since the first page.

I think part of what made it such an emotional and engaging read was the phenomenal writing:
Thoughts too horrific to think; images flashing, unbidden, unwanted. Tom waited, terrified of e
Alina
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for military stories and this one was really good! The characters felt real and very sympathetic, and their getting together story was really unusual and engrossing. Sex, violence and love and death situations - it was all done very good. Really liked this book!
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★☆☆½ ~ 3.5 Stars
Good story in the style of Special Forces, Tom, closeted gay man, and best friend, straight Alex, serve together and are best of friends. However, Tom has another secret, he's obsessed with Alex. When he finally confesses that he is gay to Alex, it changes the direction of their relationship in many ways.

When they are captured during a mission, everything changes and becomes even more real. Not big on 'gay-for-you' stories but this was written well and spanned a period of time
Kassa
Aug 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a unique and different book about two men who are soldiers to their very core, friends and comrades second, and eventually lovers third. While these would seem to cause problems not only inherently within the military but the order of priorities between the men, surprisingly for the span of the book, it works. Whether it would always work between these two is questionable given their very different personalities and needs, but for the entirely of this story, their romance within the brut ...more
Elisa Rolle
Look at that cover: no naked chests, no passionate embraces, no kissing with glorious flags on the background... an old boot and a piece of camouflage cloth. What can you understand from that cover? that this is an hard book without romance? That you will find sex but not love? That the two main characters are all manly and without feelings? yes and no, yes and no, yes and no...

Sergeant Alex Turner is a scarred man, not only in body but also deep in his soul. He trusted a person, a woman, his wi
Mountie
Tom and Alex's story is riveting from the opening shower scene to the final page. It is a voyage of disovery, both for Alex and for Tom. A story of conflict and resolution, of understanding and acceptance, of freindship, heroics and love.

On the outside they look like regular squaddies, from the inside they are complex men. Between Tom examining his conflict caused by his attraction and love for his best friend and Alex's internal scars we get to know these two souls, what drives them and how the
Boyboygirllove
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tom and Alex kept me entertained from the opening shower scene until the end. Was I always happy with them…no! I wanted to slap Alex for his initial reaction to Tom when he first comes out to him. They are supposed to be best buds…right? A little perspective before verbally flogging your BFF would have been nice. I know…I get it, they’re complex men with their lives on the line every day. I’d probably be a little high-strung and trigger-happy myself. But after a little introspection what happens ...more
Brittany
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
*sigh* Until the very end, Alex held all the power.

To be frank, I don't think Alex and Tom could make it long term. If Alex could find someone he was attracted to do what Tom does to him, he would probably leave. Alex said himself he wasn't physically attracted to Tom. What would stop him for leaving? Guilt? Loyalty? That's not love and it's not fair to either of them. I know Tom's body craves Alex, but I can't help but wonder what would happen once the lust wore off? How could anybody be satis
Jerry
Oct 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uniform, military
Loved Tom and Alex. Not too much of a plot. Lots of fumbling aggressive sex between them to start, with Alex not wanting to believe he can have sex with a man. To a life and death crisis that causes Alex to think, but it takes his ex wife to make him realize that he has a chance that he could actually have a real love in his life. Story ended too abruptly and needs to be continued.
Nadine
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Marquesate is a goddess. Can t get much better in the military gay genre. What a powerful writing!
Just downloaded the sequel...like I said, ADDICTIVE!!
OkayKim
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love rereading a favorite.
Yue
Laks
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, military, favourites
A romance between two military men - one gay and the other straight. They were best friends turned lovers. The story telling is very intense staccato style writing ; sometimes like a machine gun firing. Really makes an impact on you. Will be reading more from this author soon.
Charly
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Emotionally wringing story with incredibly real characters

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- Great descriptions of rough sex that results from anger/frustration/confusion. I didn’t find many of the sex scenes particularly arousing, but I thought they were good--realistic and raw. There is one toward the middle of the book that’s…wow…hot.
- The most convincing “straight guy turned gay” story I’ve ever read. I believed at the end of the story
Passerby
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, military
The book was...quite a dissapointment for me to be honest. And now for everyone who want to slap me for saying this, please wait for me to explain.
Since I have a chance to compare this book with another ones from the author (SF, Deliverance), it really wouldn´t stand a chance against Vadim and Dan. But yea, it would be quite unfair to compare these two creations for many many MANY reasons. So I won´t. I really am not. But I guess Vadim and Dan already got stuck under my skin and SF seemed to be
Sophia
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have come to really anticipate anything I read by this author. The backdrop, the plot, the characters and most of all the 'voice' of the story is something that reels me in easily and completely.

In this story are two tough soldiers who are also best mates. One is a gay man who is infatuated with his friend while his friend doesn't swing that way. Alex was captured and went through horrendous torture that left both his body and his mind scarred to the point that his marriage fell apart and all
Crys Harris
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
I'm a sucker for a 'gay for you' story and also soldiers, so this book is a win.

The sex is violent and I thought some of it was rather unnecessary. Still, the author did a good job of connecting the two characters and creating sexual tension.

Someone complained about the forced feeling in the ex-wife scene and I agree that it wasn't necessary, except as a way to further crystalize what Alex clearly realized during the rescue.

Frankly, the weak part of the story was during the capture and
Boycop
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ultimate incarnation of military relationships.

Having been myself in a long-term relationship with a fellow officer (and still being around soldiers almost daily), I believe Marquesate is writing military romance fiction, not even aiming for true realism relationship-wise. That said, this is nonetheless one of the most enjoyable, hot and emotional military romance stories I have read.

The main characters, Tom and Alex, are well thought and interesting. Tom is, to the contrary of many reviews,

• Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I (Special Forces, #2 part 1)
  • Special Forces - Soldiers (Special Forces, #1)
  • Between Ghosts
  • Hot Head (Head #1)
  • Special Forces - Veterans (Special Forces, #3)
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part II (Special Forces, #2 part 2)
  • All Fired Up (Sin City Uniforms, #1)
  • Mr. and Mr. Smith (Tough Love, #1)
  • Sarge (F.I.S.T.S. #1)
  • Mr. Strauss & Mr. Lowe (Out of Uniform #7.5)
  • The Boy Next Door
  • Dear Soldier With Love II: A Lost Soldier Named Grey
  • Lost in Indigo (Colors of Love, #1)
  • Blessing and Light
  • Resilient Heart
  • Cronin's Key (Cronin's Key, #1)
  • On Point (Out of Uniform #3)
  • The Captain and the Cavalry Trooper (The Captivating Captains #1)
Marquesate is a British author living in Scotland. She has been associated with the British Forces for many years, and specialises in contemporary gay military fiction.

Using the insider knowledge of the 'bowels' of the military machinery and the insight into the soldiers' minds and modes of functioning, Marquesate creates realistic settings, situations and characters who are simultaneously down to

Her Majesty's Men (2 books)
  • Beyond Her Majesty's Men