Start by marking “The Purchase of the North Pole (Extraordinary Voyages, #34)” as Want to Read:
The Purchase of the North Pole (Extraordinary Voyages, #34)

The Purchase of the North Pole

(Baltimore Gun Club #3)

Millions have been enthralled by Jule's Verne's story of the Gun Club and their shot to the moon. Here is a sequel to this world-famous novel - another exploit of the space-conquerors even more fantastic in scope.
THE PURCHASE OF THE NORTH POLE is the account of a super-scientific exploit designed to change the face of the world itself, melt the poles, cool the tropics, and
Published 1960 by Ace Science Fiction Classic D-434 (first published 1889)

To ask other readers questions about The Purchase of the North Pole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purchase of the North Pole

Henry Avila
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The old , great courageous gang from two previous novels by the amusing Jules Verne, From the Earth to the Moon and Round the Moon...
Are back, of the famous Baltimore Gun Club, they have an even more ambitious, better, ( yet quite dangerous many will say) brilliant idea or is it? Change the tilt of the Earth's axis in order to give the North Pole nicer weather, since Impey Barbicane is president of the club and the organizer, Captain Nicholl, the explosive expert and the brains behind the schem
Manny
My Japanese/French friend Yukie is visiting tomorrow from her new home town of Nantes. By association of ideas, that reminded me first of Jules Verne, Nantes's most famous son, and then of this bizarre sequel to From the Earth to the Moon.

Everyone knows the story of the first book: the manic Gun Club build a giant cannon which projects a steam-punk spaceship into an orbit that takes it round the Moon and back home again. This one is rather more obscure, though when I was reading my way through V
Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A most interesting, thought provoking tale, I also read it under the title of 'Topsy Turvy'. Highlights the exploits of Barbicane and the Baltimore gun club previously heard of in the tale 'From the Earth to the Moon'...
Marts  (Thinker)
Another of Verne's rather interesting and thought provoking tales. Here we meet Baltimore Gun Club President Barbicaine once again together with other characters such as JT Maston and Mrs Scorbitt...
So what's the plot? well, altering the earth's orbit, to change the climate of the Arctic region...
Good read!!
Jim
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
One of the more obscure books by the great French author Jules Verne (1828-1905), its original title is "Sans Dessus Dessous" ( Upside- Down) and it was published in 1889. In this story, we have the return of the Baltimore Gun Club, who gained fame by sending men into orbit around the Moon by shooting them in a shell out of a huge cannon ( positioned in Florida). This time, they want to achieve an even more ambitious engineering feat. They plan to build an even bigger cannon and cause an explos ...more
Travis
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More a political satire than a straightforward adventure story.
The Baltimore gun club buy the north pole.
They know the place is just crazy with coal and they have figured out a way to get at it and meet the world's energy needs for the next couple centuries.

Then they reveal their brilliant strategy and the world goes crazy.

Not as cutting or clever as say 'The Mouse that Roared', but Verne gently pokes fun at international relationships and even at the racism of the time.

Do wish he had told more
Laura Verret
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: publishing
So - The Gun Club seems to think that anything can be accomplished by firing a gun. In 'The Moon Voyage' a gun shot voyagers out to space to explore the moon....... in this work, the explosion of a gun is supposed to rectify the Earth's tilt on its axis........ What are you on, Gun Club.
Eylul Horozoglu
Nov 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sara
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: class-french
I fell in love with From the Earth to the Moon for how bro-ish it came across. Then Jules Verne decided Impey Barbicaine and company should have sequels. When I last heard from them, Impey, Capt. Nicholls, and our Frenchman went down to Florida to be blasted from a ginormous gun-rocket. Somehow "falling back to earth" they landed in the ocean playing board games until a naval ship rescued them. But, you know, they needed to top that stunt.

So, when several nations gather to make bids on the Nort
Jim
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, france
Jules Verne in The Earth Turned Upside Down (also called The Purchase of the North Pole and Topsy-Turvy) returns to the Baltimore Gun Club (From the Earth to the Moon and Around the Moon), which now proposes something even more outrageous than a cannon projectile aimed at the moon: This time, the irrepressible Impey Barbicane and J-T Matson plan to change the north pole by permanently changing the rotation of the earth by some 27 degrees so that the North Pole ice could melt, and the Baltimore G ...more
Diogo Muller
This book is a sequel to the Baltimore Gun Club voyage to the moon duology. Having returned safely home, members of the gun club have a new, supervillain-like plan: change the earth's axis so the north pole would melt and could be explored for coal. Full of delicious outdated science, most of the book focuses on the way this feat could be made and it's effects on the whole world. While most of it is probably way incorrect, the whole way Verne tries to think about what would happen is very creati ...more
Ioannis Touras
It is one of the least inspiring books of Jules Verne. Having said that, it still holds its didactic standards regarding the updated knowledge on the scientific evolution of its era. Also, despite its lack of philosophical background, the book manages to be of good use as teaching material for elementary school students, due to the demonstrated variety of informations, regarding physics, chemistry, geology and geography. Finally, regarding the moral standards it stands for, Verne reproduces in a ...more
Dennis Lynch
Verne wrote a Comedy?! The US buys the north pole, and the Batimore gun club builds a bigger cannon. Badly overwritten, with constant repetition of the same statistics. His characters are even less developed than usual. A current editor in the fiels could easily reduce it to a 30 page short story. Glad I read it, in my pursuit of Verne’s works, but I can’t recommend it for anyone but completists.
John Peel
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sequel to "From The Earth To The Moon" isn't well known, as it's a minor Verne story. But it's a fun read, with a fascinating central idea - can humans change the world so as to melt the polar ice caps? Perhaps it's more contemporary than was originally thought...
Jorge
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bring back memories...

Read it about 50 years ago in Spanish. Liked it then, liked it now! Politically incorrect, though. Be careful with it!
Benjamin
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good. Classic Baltimore Gun Club. It makes me wish Verne wrote more!
The cover design of this book snagged me as I was browsing at the Strand. It's practically everything I want in a book -- striking cover, small format, French flaps! I mean, it is Jules Verne, who I always feel I should like, but still I'd never managed to successfully finish reading one of his books. But I'd never heard of this one. Then I looked at the synopsis, and it sounded like polar fiction to me! Of course I had to buy it.

As the main characters of the story are the Gun Club of Baltimore,
John
May 23, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Completist Verne fans
Andy
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I'm a big Jules Verne fan (though for my money, HG Wells pips him) but haven't read any of his books for a few years now. I have previously read From the Earth to the Moon/Around the Moon and enjoyed it so was surprised to see this new reprint of a later sequel. One of his many Voyages Extraordinaires, I'm always happy to pick them up in print.

Supposedly 'relevant' because of current climate change, it's really a lot more farcical than some of this other works. The Baltimore Gun Club are back, t
Yibbie
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Everyone should be able to find something to hate in this book, Corporate greed almost destroys our planet, Science gone wild almost annihilates humanity, Private enterprise steals a march on Government, Government erases personal rights for the collective good. So many chances to stir up political agendas. Yet Verne takes all these issues mixes in a few irascible and lovable characters and you have a marvelously silly tale.
As usual he uses many true facts, right along with his fanciful theor
Liz Bromley
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super fun book. This was my first Jules Verne, and I was impressed at the light-hearted, humorous tone of the writing. This is, in part, due to the modern translation by Sophie Lewis, which is really fantastic. It is accessible but still accurate to the time the book was written. In any case, I had a lot of fun reading it and subsequently checked out some of Verne's more familiar books to read next.
David Mann
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gun Club part 3

A very funny look at the end of the world, and the dangers of science run amok, that brings back the venerable members of the Baltimore Gun Club for one last time. Verne combines his love of science with his satirical view of humanity to create a tale outrageous for his time, though less so in the world today, post atomic bomb. Highly recommended in the original French: not a difficult read for an intermediate student like me.
Joanna
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read any Jules Verne, obviously I have seen many films but it seems he was quite visionary with his science fiction writing. This was an interesting short story for something written such a long time ago. I enjoyed it!
Carl
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is another adventure of the members of the Baltimore Gun Club. It takes place later than the trip to the Moon. It's an interesting story from the view of the science involved, and it has a surprise ending.
Ava
May 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story itself was incredibly far-fetched, and the ending was very ridiculous. I did not enjoy the book, and despite a couple of the obvious spelling and grammar issues present, I can't believe I finished it.
Rick
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Strange Jules Verne book. I wasn't quite certain what Verne was trying to do with this one, other than recapture the excitement and larger than life ideas in From the Earth to the Moon. I don't think he succeeded.
David R.
Dec 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Verne's sequel to "Around the Moon" is a largely lifeless story of a demented plan to change the earth's rotational axis by firing a colossal cannon in Africa. This one is eminently forgettable.
Armel Dagorn
Unfortunately not as exciting as the blurb...
Niclas
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, science-fiction
Probably the most brilliant/insane idea ever.
John
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
He knew the Sclav proverb, that a woman draws more with one hair than four oxen in a plow; and he was on his guard.

• Récits fantastiques
  • The Corsican Brothers
  • Tarzan Series (Tarzan, #1-8)
  • Letters from Russia
  • Bug-Jargal
  • The Stolen Bacillus and Other Incidents
  • The House That Stood Still
  • Witch Wood
  • Icehenge
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin
  • The Wrong Box
  • She and Allan (Allan Quatermain #11)
  • The Sultan of Monte Cristo (Sequels to the Count of Monte Cristo, #1)
  • The Doings of Raffles Haw
  • Les Miserables (Stepping Stones)
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa

Baltimore Gun Club (3 books)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
“THEY'D CHANGE THE AXIS OF THE EARTH!

There are fortunes to be made in polar real estate! Just change the climate of both poles, warm them up, give them mild winters and pleasant summers, and watch the boom! At the same time, cool off the tropics, clear out the jungles, and there's billions more in it!

That was the scheme of the famous Gun Club, the same space engineers who had fired the shot "From the Earth to the Moon." The story of how they planned to change the face of the Earth itself is a Jules Verne classic long out of print that's a delight to read and a real adventure in logical super-science.”
1 likes