Start by marking “Science Fiction Hall Of Fame: The Novellas, Book 2” as Want to Read:
Science Fiction Hall Of Fame: The Novellas, Book 2

Science Fiction Hall Of Fame: The Novellas, Book 2

(Science Fiction Hall of Fame #2A)

Contains: an introduction by Ben Bova (editor), "Call Me Joe" (1957) by Poul Anderson, "Who Goes There" (1938) by John W Campbell Jr, "Nerves" (1942) by Lester del Rey, "Universe" (1941) by Robert A. Heinlein, "Vintage Season" (1946) by Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore, "The Ballad of Lost C'mell" (1962) by Cordwainer Smith, and "With Folded Hands" (1948) by Jack Williamson ( ...more
Published 1975 by Sphere (first published January 1st 1973)

Stephen
5.0 stars. I have not read all of the books in this collection but will comment on the ones I have:

Call Me Joe (Poul Anderson)(1957): 6.0 Stars (One of my All Time Favorite Stories). Outstanding story about exploring and terraforming the surface of Jupiter through the use of bio-mechanical life forms whose consciousness is controlled via remote control with researchers above the planet. A story of identity and quality of life.

The Marching Morons (C.M. Kornbluth)(1951): 5.0 to 5.5 Stars. Satirica
Cheryl
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to quibble: C'Mell is 20 pp, hardly a novella. This book didn't take long to read, as most stories were quite familiar to me from other anthologies. And some just don't hold up all that well. But as an introduction to some of the foundational & inspirational classics, it's quite good.
Williwaw
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I cheated a bit. I did not re-read "The Time Machine," by H.G. Wells. I think I've probably read that story twice before and I've probably seen the excellent and faithful George Pal movie (1960)a couple times, as well. It is a good story and was worthy of inclusion in this book.

My favorite selection here is " . . . And Then There Were None," by Eric Frank Russell. This has got to be one of the most hilarious works of fiction that I have ever read. (If you love Vonnegut, my guess is tha
Bruce
Jul 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far:

"Call Me Joe" by Poul Anderson -- excellent

"Who's Out There?" by John W. Campbell -- Good page turner, interesting premise of a chameleon-like alien (the alien in Howard Hawks' classic horror film based on this story, The Thing, did not have this power), but a little too rushed and slapdash to be wholly convincing.

"Nerves" by Lester del Rey -- There's a good story here, but, as told, is rather a mess -- verbose, unorganized, with the technical aspects of the story (involving a Chernobyl-l
R.a.

Summary / Anthology Review:

A much belated “Congratulations” to the Science Fiction Writers of America, (SFWA), and editor Ben Bova for presenting Volume II, (A), The Science Fiction Hall of Fame anthology—eleven of the “Greatest Science Fiction Novellas of All Time.”

Every included work is enjoyable and affecting in its own way.

Particularly laudable is the process with which the separate works were chosen as Bova explains in his introduction: the basic vote. Further discernment for selec
Tracey
Nov 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comments/Reviews of the novellas in this anthology:

"Call Me Joe" - Poul Anderson. An artificial creature on the surface of Jupiter is psychically linked to a cripple in an orbiting spacestation. But who is controlling whom? Quite an enjoyable read.

"Who Goes There?" John W. Campbell Jr (as Don A. Stuart). A polar expedition discovers an alien - what happens when it is thawed? Meh - interesting concept, I guess - but the writing didn't really move me.

"Nerves" - Lester del Rey - A crisis at a nuc
Steven Peterson
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a treasure trove of older science fiction classic novellas. Authors here include such worthies as Poul Anderson, John Campbell, Jr., Lester del Rey, Robert Heinlein, C. M. Kornbluth, Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore, Eric Frank Russell, Cordwainer Smith, Theodore Sturgeon (progenitor of Sturgeon's Law, "90% of everything is crud," if I recall accurately), H. G. Wells, and Jack Williamson. This volume was published originally in 1973 (the version, in fact, that I have).

Let's look at a coupl
Gavin Otteson
Oct 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of literature.
An anthology of epic proportions in both concept and literary execution. Volumes IIA and IIB are comprised of novellas instead of short stories like Vol. I which is why it is split into two sub-volumes. However it packs a serious punch and sits near the top of my recommendation list for anyone interested in fiction.
Taylor
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stories too long to be in Vol 1. This is for both 2a and 2b

My favorites:
2A:
Heinlein's "Universe"
Eric Frank Russel "... And then there were none"
Sturgeon "Baby is Three"

2B:
Asimov "The martian way"
Blish "Earthman Come Home"
Vance "The Moon Moth"
Michael
??? childhood: ‘vintage season’ by kuttner and moore... an original favourite... good others too...
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Some stories are better than others; but as a whole, a strong collection. My favorites include "The Ballad of Lost C'Mell," by Cordwainer Smith, and "Baby is Three," by Ted Sturgeon.
Charles
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
These are mostly of novella length rather than short stories, including "Who Goes There," the story that was filmed as "The Thing."

Great collection.
Debbi
A nice collection of SF story. I only skipped one story. Most had a timeless message. I especially enjoyed "With Folded Hands" by Williamson and "Universe" by Heinlein.
K.A.
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of short stories and classic novelettes in Science Fiction. I liked almost all of them and was happy to finally get the chance to read The Time Machine.
Nihal Vrana
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I have enjoyed the first volume more, but this was a treat too. Except 2-3 weak stories, it is masterpiece after masterpiece.
Call Me Joe · Poul Anderson : A better version of Rogue Moon and an expansion of the "running video" in Strange Days.

Who Goes There? [as by Don A. Stuart] · John W. Campbell, Jr.: the second most famous story in the collection after Time machine and the inspiration for the famous "The Thing" movie which I should watch sometime. It has some plotholes, but the atmosphere and
Rasheed
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Call Me Joe (1957) by Poul Anderson 5/5
Who Goes There? (1938) John W. Campbell 5/5
Nerves (1942) by Lester del Rey 5/5
Universe (1941) by Robert A. Heinlein 5/5 1st part of Orphans of the Sky - 2nd part equally enjoyable
The Marching Morons (1951) by C. M. Kornbluth 3/5
Vintage Season (1946) by Henry Kuttner & C.L. Moore 3/5
...And Then There Were None (1951) by Eric Frank Russell 4/5
The Ballad of Lost C'Mell (1962) by Cordwainer Smith 3/5
Baby Is Three (1952) by Theodore Sturgeon 5/5
The Time Mach
Michael Tildsley
This is another mixed bag of sorts. There are some really wonderful novellas in this collection, but also a fair share of clinkers. Some were clinkers for me personally because I first experienced them in a more entertaining media, such as "Who Goes There?" (which John Carpenter handled very well in his remake of The Thing) and "The Time Machine" (which I personally feel was handled better in both movie adaptations, because the time-traveler has more to gain or lose in his travels).

My favorites
Craig
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another collection of true classics. H.G. Wells, one of Heinlein's best, one of Eric Frank Russell's best, terrific stories from Cordwainer Smith and Poul Anderson, the Campbell story that became famous films, stories by Lester Del Rey and Jack Williamson that were better than their longer novel versions... Classic stuff!
Steven Peterson
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another set of terrific works, this time novellas, in the Science Fiction Hall of Fame. Ben Bova edited this volume. Some of nthe classics that I have enjoyed immensely that are included: Isaac Asimov, "The Martian Way," Algis Budrys, "Rogue Moon," Frederik Pohl, "The Midas Plague," and Jack Vance's "The Moon Moth."

A fine collection of novellas. . . .
James Hurley
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice collection of some of the early works of some of the great masters of Sci Fi. My former instructor and mentor Jack Williamson is in this one, and it was one of my first readings of his work. A fun look back.
David
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book of science fiction writing. All of the stories are very good.
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Jul 18, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie "Jedigal" by: Got it at the 2010 Book Fair w/Beth, Em
Shelves: sci-fi
Volume II (at least two parts, A and B) is "The Greatest Science Fiction Novellas of All Time".
DaughterDaDa
Classic science fiction stories that defined the genre.
Mark
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
My own favorite story is "Mimsy Were the Borogoves". "X-logic" helped me toward a greater understanding of algebra! Well for a while, at least.
Also check out "Macroscopic God"...
Asha Hawkesworth
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf
The novellas in this book were chosen by SFWA, and I don't agree with all the picks. Some of the writers are mostly underappreciated these days, and there are some real classics here. So I'll address each story on its merits.

Call Me Joe, by Poul Anderson -- James Cameron probably "borrowed" (stole) from this story while he cobbled together the film "Avatar" (for the record, he has done this before, most notably stealing from and getting sued by Harlan Ellison for "Terminator"). A mind/bio-link b
Erin
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Through these Science Fiction Hall of Fame compilations, I am learning to love short stories. For some reason I had this ignorant mindset that short stories could not, would not give me the same satisfaction as a full novel. Oh how wrong I was.

I admit I didn't love Volume 2A as much as Volume 1. Many of the stories in Volume 1 enraptured me from beginning to end and lingered in my thoughts afterwards. With Volume 2A, there were a few stories I had a difficult time staying interested in. I would
Peter Tillman
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story comments, all from memory. Links where I could find them.

• Call Me Joe • (1957) • novelette by Poul Anderson. https://www.baen.com/Chapters/9781625.... Proxy settlers on Jupiter. Hard SF, it ain't. The one I prefer is "Desertion" (1944) by Simak: "They would turn me back into a dog." [note 1]
• Who Goes There? • (1938) • novella by John W. Campbell, Jr.
• Nerves • (1942) • novella by Lester del Rey
• Universe • (1941) • novelette by Robert A. Heinlein
• The Marching Morons • (1951) • novelette
Nicholas Bobbitt
Although the idea of this collection is a solid one, I don't particularly enjoy many of the stories. The real saving grace of the book is its inclusion of "The Time Machine", which is my favorite of the 11 novellas.
Call Me Joe - Poul Anderson - 2
Vintage Season - Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore - 2
… And Then There Were None - Eric Frank Russell - 3
The Balla
Norman Weatherly
An eclectic collection of science fiction that spans many writers and styles, some better than others. I found the very diverse nature of this book created a choppy reading experience as it never really settled into a comfortable gait. There are many excellent writers and some examples of their finest writing, H.G. Wells story The Time Travellers is an excellent example of this. It is a very fine work that stands well on its own but I found that in this collection it seemed orphaned and alien am ...more
Laur-Marian Mertea
Although some of the stories might be dated and some of the technologies presented as working might be deemed impossible today, this anthology should still be read by most of the people a few reasons being:
- it shows how people where thinking some 70 years ago and what their aspirations and views on the future were;
- the anthology contains some masterpieces and hidden gems (literally world literature classics that transcended the SciFI genre);
- some of the ideas presented are still of actuality
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume One, 1929-1964 (Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #1)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume III: The Nebula Winners
  • Again, Dangerous Visions
  • 50 Short Science Fiction Tales
  • The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories
  • A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume One
  • The World Treasury of Science Fiction
  • The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction
  • Women of Wonder, the Contemporary Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1970s to the 1990s
  • The Space Opera Renaissance
  • The Norton Book of Science Fiction: North American Science Fiction, 1960-90
  • Famous Science-Fiction Stories: Adventures in Time and Space
  • Masterpieces: The Best Science Fiction of the Twentieth Century
  • Galactic Empires 1
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo

Science Fiction Hall of Fame (5 books)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume II B (The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #2B)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume III: The Nebula Winners