Start by marking “Children of Chaos” as Want to Read:
Children of Chaos

Children of Chaos

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  197 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
In a torrential downpour, Phil, Jamie and Martin-three teenage boys-encounter a strange and enigmatic man covered in horrible scars who will change their lives, their destinies and the very fate of their souls forever. When their encounter mistakenly leads to murder, they realize this eerie stranger may not have been a man at all, but something much more... Thirty years la ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Delirium Books

David Brian
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over the course of just a few days, unfortunately other commitments delayed the writing of this review. In retrospect, this is not a bad thing, because ten days after closing those final pages, the smothering despair of Children of Chaos by Greg Gifune still scurries around inside my skull like a worry-rat on bad acid - and this as a compliment.

Anyone who has read anything by Greg F. Gifune can tell you he writes from some really dark places, and it is fair to say that Children
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
4.5

“I’ve spent my entire life looking over my shoulder. It ruined us, that night. It destroyed all three of us.”

Children of Chaos was my introduction to Greg Gifune's writing. After this book, I'm already ready for more of the author's work. With a writing style that is poetic and haunting, I loved how the backward glances to the past mixed in so effortlessly with the disaster of the present. The flashbacks to what happened on ""that night"" that changed their lives forever was powerful and perf
Ken McKinley
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-kindle, horror
Philip, Jamie, and Martin are young teenagers when they stumble upon the mysterious stranger in the rain. The encounter ends with the stranger mumbling odd ramblings about destinies and then, before their very eyes, the children see the scars that line his back move and change shapes. In an act of self defense, the boys murder the stranger. Their lives were never the same again. Fast forward to the present. Philip has failed at his marriage, is failing as a writer, and is worried that he'll fail ...more
Christopher Rice
REVIEW REPUBLISHED FROM 'CHRISTOPHER & ERIC'S FAVORITES' AT THE DINNER PARTY SHOW. http://thedinnerpartyshow.com/2015/05...

Simply put, “Children of Chaos” is a devastating and darkly beautiful journey into madness and terror. It is not for the faint of heart, to be sure, but Greg. F. Gifune is one of the best writers of horror and supernatural thrillers at work today. With artful and hypnotic prose, Gifune transported me to a landscape turned virtually surreal by unmitigated human cruelty, b
Bill
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I finished this novel Sunday morning. Saturday and Sunday mornings are
my favorite reading times, so as soon as I was finished this one I
immediately went to my Goodreads list to decide what to read next.

Most, okay, pretty much all of my reading preferences fall on the darker side of fiction. But Children of Chaos did something that not many novels do: it bleaked me out.
I didn't realize it was happening at the time, but after I finished it, the whole thing began to settle in on me. The despair, t
Paul Nelson
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Children of Chaos follows the story of Phil, Martin & Jamie, three young boys who in the furious rain meet a scarred man, his torso is described as ‘a hideous melange of horror carved into his skin like demonic brands’ and with the word Chaos tattooed on his back. The meeting results in tragedy, an emotionless act that will haunt them all for the rest of their days and an effortless violence from a young man that is shocking in its extremity.

Now in their forties the three have led widely sep
Gatorman
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book from Gifune, one of the best horror novels I've read in a long time. Gifune has a real talent for analyzing the true nature of evil and digging into our fears and nightmares in a rather descriptive way. The story moves along swiftly and the ending was unexpected and powerful and left me thinking about it for a some time after, the mark of a truly great book. Gifune deserves to be much more recognized in the horror genre. I will be reading more of his books in the future. Very hig ...more
Kevin
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Children Of Chaos

Greg Gifune tackles Joseph Conrad's “Heart Of Darkness”, with a twist. I truly admire an author who can take a classic and make it his own. I couldn't help but notice the comparison to Joseph Conrad's story, but my minds eye was fixated on “Apocalypse Now”. Martin was Kurtz in every sense of the word, Holly Quinn was also a beautiful caricature of Dennis Hopper, only Holly's tool of choice was a dead camcorder, not a slew of cameras. Gifunes story runs deeper than the comparison
Alan Ryker
Crushingly dark and brilliant from beginning to end. A masterpiece of contemporary horror.
Daniel Russell
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Greg F Gifune is a writer who I haven't previously had the pleasure of reading. His book, Children of Chaos, is my first venture into his work. The title already plunges images of satanic kiddies running amok, but this is a very different book.

Three childhood friends find their lives take a tragic change of direction one fateful night. Finding a horrifically scarred man living rough with an odd book and a sword in his possession, they assume he is responsible for a child murder that had recently
Jeannie Sloan
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another stellar offering by an author who has yet to disappoint me. The more books that I read by this author the better and better I like his work. This is a nasty one. It was a little too gruesome for me but I appreciate what he was trying to do in how to portray a vile human being in the grips of a violent psychosis. This one is not for the faint of heart.

Again excellent prose and the character portrayed is top notch.

If you like your horror down and dirty and to going to extremes then you wil
Space Out With Sci Fi in June The Haunted Reading Room
Review: CHILDREN OF CHAOS

Once I had read Greg Gifune's spectacular "Saying Uncle" and "The Bleeding Season," I knew he is an author who must be read. "CHILDREN OF CHAOS" is yet another example, an extraordinarily heart-ripping, gut-wrenching tale, penned by master.

I read this book via Kindle Unlimited.
pennyg
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, trying to be a little more explicit, but wow seems to be my immediate response upon completion of anything written by Greg F. Gifune. It was disturbing and haunting with a pervading since of evil that lingers and then there is the swift kick in the gut ending. Wow.
Aritri Gupta
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea how to exactly categorize this - the book was disturbing, full of despair and yet beautiful.
I had to browse through my shelf for a light read to counter the effect of this book.
The narration was smooth, fast paced and it draws you in right from the start. The language the author is so powerful and haunting.
The residual effect of the story stays with you, creeps you out a little, and makes you think, how so much of what Martin reveals from the Traveler's book is true.
"Since our da
Sarah Kingsley
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three young boys are drawn into a surreal situation which culminates in them committing a horrific crime. Years later, with each of their lives blighted by that one night, fate draws them together on the dangerous plains and streets of Mexico, where a dreadful and horrific truth is revealed.

This was an amazing book. Without doubt the creepiest and most unnerving thing I've read in recent years. I'll definitely be searching out more titles from Greg F. Gifune.
Christian Orton
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gifune always produces amazing thrillers

Gifune always produces amazing thrillers. This one is solid gold. Creeped the hell out of me.

Good job Mr Gifune
Mary
Jul 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
You have to have a degree in Greek mythology and astrophysics to enjoy, let alone understand this book. Needless to say, I will NOT be reading the rest of the series.
David Agranoff
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don’t say the word masterpiece lightly, this novel is pretty close to a perfect horror novel. It has a brilliant concept and it was enough to make buy immediately. Over the years I heard things about this author but it was the concept that really intrigued me. Basically this novel is a modern re-telling of the Joseph Conrad classic “The Heart of Darkness” set in north Mexico in the dessert outside of Tijuana.

Cool concept for a novel. The prologue reminded me of Clive Barker and Ray Bardbury, t
Mike Redmond
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another phenomenal novel from the mind of Greg Gifune. Children of Chaos takes the reader on a quest to question life`s purpose, loyalty, reality, commitment, predestination, faith, and obligation. COC is a richly textured and thought provoking read. It is a story of how we choose to blend our human and spiritual experiences in a manner that gives us comfort in our reason for being.

The reluctant journey of one man to save an old friend and to honor his friend`s mother`s request sparks explosive
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
4 AND 1/2 STARS.

This is hands down one of the best horror books of the year. It's the writer's job to take you by the hand and lead you on a journey. However, Gifune doesn't just grab your hand. He yanks at your hair and pulls you by the neck, never allowing you to take even a single breath. He delights in smothering you in evil for 300 fantastic pages.

Children Of Chaos is filled with vivid characters and a fascinating and addictive premise. Gifune's writing is smooth and poetic and wonderfull
Sarah Hunter
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Three young boys commit an horrendous act of violence. It is an event that will mark them for the rest of their days. Years later, events draw the trio back together, amid the sweltering heat and despair of the Mexican desert. Violence looms, as does the revealing of a long suspected truth.
Children of Chaos by Greg F. Gifune is the sort of book that sweeps over you, immersing you in the depth of the characters despair, and the realization of their perils. Wonderfully written, this book was a tre
Jeremiah
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dekker, Koontz and Stephen King have nothing on Greg Gifune. Quite the thriller, horror, has a Koontz type feel yet more riveting. Finished in one night, could not put it down. Some vulgarity, obscene and violent material.
Ahmad Alkadri
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
The best horror novel I've ever read in a very, very long time. I can go on and on for hours explaining why Children of Chaos is definitely the masterpiece, but I will cut most of it and tell you this one thing only: read it.
Harald Maier
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Großartig, verdammtes Genie! Ein Schriftsteller meiner Generation mit meiner Art zu denken
Bob
Mar 14, 2009 added it
A very cool, very dark reimagination of Conrad's Heart of Darkness. When Gifune is good, he's among the best. And he's on fire in Children of Chaos.
Kurt Criscione
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
MEH... some good writing in there but didn't care for much of the story... will still try the other books of his i have in my TBR.
William Bitner Jr.
A wonderfully dark piece of fiction....loved it
Randi
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Good but really to dark to recommend.
Anna Juen
  • The Tent
  • Benjamin's Parasite
  • Nightmare Man
  • When We Join Jesus In Hell
  • Echoes (Whisper Trilogy Book 2)
  • Vampyrrhic Rites
  • The Complex
  • Twisted
  • Worm
  • Corrosion
  • Don't Forget To Breathe
  • Hair of the Bitch
  • Drug (Kassidy Bell Series Book 1)
  • He Who Walks in Shadow
  • The Bad
  • Keepers
  • Father of Lies (Father of Lies #1)
  • Nightmarescape
Called "One of the best writers of his generation" by both the Roswell Literary Review and author Brian Keene, Greg F. Gifune is the author of numerous short stories, several novels and two short story collections. His work has been published in a wide range of magazines and anthologies all over the world, and has recently garnered interest from Hollywood. His novels include The Bleeding Season, D ...more
More about Greg F. Gifune

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Bachelor Girl
  • The Wednesday Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
“None of us are ever far from death. Try as we might to convince ourselves otherwise, our vulnerability is profound and intrinsic, our time on this Earth borrowed, fleeting.” 1 likes
“Fear does funny things to people. Shit, Dahmer was cooking and eating people in the middle of an apartment building. Imagine what you can get away with in a no man’s land.” 1 likes