Start by marking “Me, Antman Fleabag” as Want to Read:
Me, Antman  Fleabag

Me, Antman Fleabag

Hilarious, quirky characters and wicked black humor abound in this fictional account of contemporary rural Australia. An aboriginal woman, her partner, Antman, and their dog, Fleabag, take off on a spirited road trip across Australia, encountering eccentric aunts, six-fingered redheads, and martyrs to the cause of sheep well-being, enjoying along the way all the good thing ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by University of Queensland Press

Start your review of Me, Antman Fleabag
Cat
I really enjoyed this book - the vignettes were, by turns, hilarious, heart-breaking and poignant.
It made me look at the my own world differently - I recognised all the Aussie cultural landmarks/touchstone/points-of-reference but it was just such a different perspective, that it was just unreal. The characters voices were authentic and real. I'm glad that I read this book! Aussie Indigenous authors have so much to say and the rest of us need to listen!
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Me, Antman and our mongrel, Fleabag, like partyin outside.’

In twenty-two thought-provoking vignettes, Ms Kennedy introduces us to the world of an Aboriginal woman (our narrator, whose name we never discover), her partner Antman and their dog Fleabag. These vignettes are full of quirky characters, of black humour and of reminders that Aboriginal Australia still often remains quite separate from the Australia that many of us occupy.

Our narrator, Antman, and Fleabag travel across Australia. They m
Calzean
A book of short stories, in this case vignettes, always have a mixture of quality and depth. In this set of shorts there are many highlights.
The narrator is an Aboriginal woman (never named), her partner Antman and their dog Fleabag. She talks about the people they meet, life in rural Australia, racism and misunderstandings. "Grandfather's Medals" was sad and unfortunately representative of how Aboriginal servicemen were treated after WWII. "Whitefella Dreamin'" was a classic of how whites are
Jenny Schwartz
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww2012
This is such an easy review to write. I loved the collection of short stories that is Me, Antman and Fleabag. Gayle Kennedy captures the language and story telling style of the people she writes about. The stories are wry, joyous, heartfelt, sometimes painfully real. The characters wandered off the page, pulled out a chair and sat down at my kitchen table. They asked for a cuppa, milk with two sugars, ta love, and stirred vigorously.

I defy anyone to read the first story, “How ta drink in the par
Thoraiya
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! I laughed until I cried, and then, while I was all unsupecting, Kennedy would sneak in something serious, and make an anguished lump rise in my throat.

If I had lots of money I would buy copies of this for everyone I know (especially the ones who don't share my taste in "children's fairy stories," "feminist end-of-the-world rubbish" or "sick, weird stuff". You know who you are.)
Hayley
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice collection of short stories or snippets (some only one page long, some longer), showcasing different elements of aboriginal life in rural Australia, through the stories and experiences of the main character narrator, her partner and their dog. Some humorous, some moving, all easy to read and an enjoyable light book to dip in and out of for a few days! :-)
Dee-Ann
Reading this book was like listening to a yarn in the pub. Full of laughs, tears and left you thinking about how crazy the world can be sometimes> In the end it is your friends and family and country that makes sense and keeps you going. Short, honest (with a bit of swearing thrown in) and sweet.
Fatema Johera Ahmed
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The episodic adventures of the characters bring to life the way yarns are spun as anecdotes that recalls and relives the vicissitudes of marginality. The black fella lingo is instrumentally used in its creation of an other body of knowledge.
Jane
Jan 11, 2015
Pat
Feb 19, 2016
Tsering  Ngoedup
rated it did not like it
Sep 23, 2019

• Worth a Thousand Words
  • You Be Mother
  • The Tenderness of Wolves
  • The Graveyard Riddle
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust #2)
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
  • Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • Grown Ups
  • Carpentaria
  • This is How We Change the Ending
  • Ghost Bird
  • When the Ground Is Hard
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1)
  • The Rehearsal