Start by marking “The Corinthian” as Want to Read:
The Corinthian

The Corinthian

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  9,436 ratings  ·  690 reviews
"A writer of great wit and style...I've read her books to ragged shreds."-Kate Fenton, Daily Telegraph

A daring escape

Penelope Creed will do anything to avoid marrying her repulsive cousin. Dressed in boy's clothing, she's fleeing from London when she's discovered by Sir Richard Wyndham, himself on the verge of the most momentous decision of his life.

And a heroic rescue

When
Published June 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Corinthian, please sign up.
Louise Culmer No. But as he doesn't seem to care for much, it is a bit hard to understand why he's been hanging around her so much.

really liked it 4.00  ·

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Sigh. I've overdosed on Georgette Heyer Regencies, and now I can't tell if I'm bored because this is mediocre Heyer or because I've temporarily reached saturation point on her books. The banter is witty, the hero capable and charming, the heroine brave and feisty, and I was pretty much unmoved by it all.

It's a cute and humorous plot: Sir Richard Wyndham is just about to enter into an engagement with the cold woman everyone expects him to marry, and has gotten very drunk to drown his unhappiness.
Michelle
I thought that “The Corinthian” was a romance, but the romance in this book is almost non-existent. Nevertheless, it was very entertaining as I immersed myself in a bit of intrigue, with theft and a hapless murder; other side stories of silly females; incorrigible “would-be” brothers in-law; a prospective betrothed besotted to another; and of course, the two most delightful of heroes and heroines. (view spoiler) ...more
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
The Georgette Heyer Fans Group is reading GH's Regency novels in written order & it is fascinating to watch her progression as the Queen of the Regencies.

This is GH's third Regency & the first to show the lighthearted style she wrote so well. There is still a little bit of explanation of activities like Boxing the Watch, whereas in later books she is confident we are totally in her world.

On this particular read, I gulped the book down in one day (it is one of GH's shorter works) IMO that
Ruth Turner
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgette-heyer

Georgette Heyer is my go-to author when I want something well written, light hearted and witty to read. She never disappoints.

The Corinthian is one of my favourites. I liked Sir Richard immensely, and Pen was funny and charming and had me laughing out loud at times.

There were many interesting secondary characters that appealed to me as well. I didn't find the "thieves cant" a problem as some other readers did. I think the story was better for including it.

A quick and enjoyable read.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

In case you need something light, wonderful, witty and well written, then look no further. I really liked The Corinthian.

Unlike some of Heyer's other stories where you have to wait until everyone and their mother is introduced (and their situation), there aren't any delays here.
The introduction to Sir Richard and his family's wishes is done in a couple of pages. You even get to meet the woman everyone (except him, his brother-in-law and the woman's brother) expects to marry. The story doesn'
Caz
I've given this an A+ for narration and B+ for content at AAR, so probably nearer 5 stars than 4.

One of the best things about listening to new audio versions of older books is becoming reacquainted with stories I read many more years ago than I care to count! Georgette Heyer’s The Corinthian is not a title I’ve re-read over the years, so coming back to it in audio was almost like experiencing a new book. And a terrific experience it was!

The story is one with which any regular Regency reader is p
Amy
2019 Re-Read
I've read this one several times now and it still leaves me laughing out loud.
Pen does grow on you. She is a prototypical Younger Heyer Heroine, no doubt about it. Her youthful naivete occasionally grates...but the scene where a neighborhood gentleman accuses her of seducing his daughter will always be one of my favorites!

2018 Re-Read
I generally find Heyer covers don't match the book, but this one seems particularly egregious. Why on earth does the girl on the front cover have brow
Andrea
The blurb, focusing as it does on the innocence of Penn, tends to put me off this book, but the story itself is a great deal of fun. Penn is a little naive, but she's also the sort of girl who reacts to being in a stage coach accident with delight at the adventure.

By putting on a boy's clothes, Penn gets to participate in the adventures as well, and greets almost every circumstance with unimpaired good spirits. I particularly enjoy her opinion of her former swain and his new inamorata.
Mela
One of the lighter versions of GH. It was a mix of an adventure and romance, of course in the classic Heyer's style. One of the shorter. I think, next to Arabella it is a good choice for your first GH novel.

There were all elements of Heyer wit and wisdom. What I liked the most (what I found the most interesting) in this one:

--> The pressure that Richard felt, from his family and the society, to get married. It was intriguing that he was inclined to do it. Of course, he took the first opportun
Tweety
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Heyer fans
Recommended to Tweety by: Several of my GR friends
3 1/2

I don't know what to think. The characters are top notch as usual with Heyer and the humor is as amusing as ever. But the plot! I don't know which part was more unbelievable. Penelope running away in men's clothing, the adventures by stagecoach or the elopement of one very silly secondary couple.

I cringe to say this about my beloved Heyer. But I've got to say it. Of all her books that I have read, however far fetched they maybe, she makes it work. But this one takes the cake. And I don't
QNPoohBear
Sir Richard Wyndham, a noted Corinthian, has reached his 29th year without ever seriously thinking about marriage. Now his mother and sister are pressuring him into offering for the woman his father promised him too in childhood. Not being too keen on the idea of marriage or helping the lady's family out of debt, Richard heads to White's and gets exceedingly drunk before planning his marriage proposal the next day. One the way home, a youth drops out of a window into his arms. The youth turns ou ...more
Barb in Maryland
First read sometime in between late 1967 and mid 1968, I vaguely remembered this as good, but not great.
ETA: 5 March 2018 re-read with the GH Fan group. Bumping my rating up to 3.5 stars
Although I know I probably re-read this a time or two, it had been so long ago that I had forgotten almost everything about it. I had a good time on the re-read. GH was in fine form in this one, witty and charming, everything sparkling. Young Penelope (Pen) Creed was a delightful miss of 17--she's a very level-he
Renee M
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of smiles for this light-hearted romp, even before the ingenue climbs out a window disguised as a boy. And there's stolen diamonds, too! :D
Olga Godim
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgette-heyer
This book is a treasure trove of laughter. It should be used in laugh therapy.
Sir Richard Wyndham is a twenty-nine-year-old Corinthian – wealthy, sophisticated, handsome, and supremely bored with his untroubled, aristocratic existence. He boxes like a champion, drives his horses like an Apollo, and dresses to the nines.
He has only one gripe: his mother and sister keep accosting him to get married. He doesn’t wish to, so he drowns his gloom in brandy. Later, after getting ultimately drunk, he w
Luisa Knight
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, romance
If you've ever read Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest" and have seen Julie Andrews play Maria von Trapp in "The Sound of Music," then you know you'll be in for a treat with this book!

Several of Wilde's plays were known for their remarkable wit and comical plot twists and in "The Corinthian" Heyer matches, and quite possibly surpasses, these wonderfully. I was anticipating a straight-forward little adventure story so was surprised and delighted with how many times the plot circled an
Anne
Curiously, I did not enjoy this novel as much as I had expected to. I really really liked it, but I didn't get the same kind of satisfactory and awesome feeling I got after reading "The Black Moth" and "Powder and Patch" by the same author. The story, although good, seemed too unbelievable, which made the characters appear awkward as a whole, though I loved them individually. Sir Richard was a perfect, Heyer-typical hero and I thought the character of Penelope to be vastly entertaining. She was ...more
Kelly
One of my favorite Heyers. It involves the urbane, cultured hero-young, unconventional heroine combination, and its done very well here. Penelope Creed literally falls into Richard Wyndham's life late one night, determined to run away from an oppressive marriage to a creepy cousin to find shelter with an old friend of hers. Richard decides to run away with her, as there is a marriage of his own he would like to escape. Hijinx in the form of cross-dressing, escaped criminals, mistaken identity an ...more
Nick Imrie
A very sweet and jolly Heyer novel.

This is one of her earlier romances. In some intangible way, it doesn't quite sparkle like her later ones. The wit isn't quite as incisive, maybe. Yet, I thoroughly enjoyed it; I think it may be one of my favourite Heyer regencies because it is so sweet and the characters are so likeable. Innocent and brave heroine Pen and handsome and honourable hero Richard are both charmers and I was thoroughly rooting for their love story. That's the danger with Heyer - she
Lynn Spencer
4.5 stars Oh, that was so much fun!

I don't usually go for "chick in pants" romances, but this one was exceptionally well done. The fashionable Sir Richard Wyndham is desperately seeking a way out of offering marriage to the icy Melissa Brandon. Not only does she fail to appeal to him(his family has wanted the two to marry for years), but her feckless family seems to be tumbling into financial ruin.

Penelope Creed is trying to escape as well. While Richard's family has been trying to browbeat him
Lady Wesley
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
Another Georgette Heyer romance that's more a comedy of manners and would make a great play. Another May/December couple, although here it might be May/October. Another abrupt ending as the hero and heroine share their first kiss. Cute story, but I don't dig chicks-in-pants very much.

But -- I'm awarding an extra star because of the stellar narration by Georgina Sutton, who sounds like she was having a blast with this one. She has a wide variety of voices to fit the many characters who appear in
Treece
I will need to review this one at another. Did not finish the audio in time. I was more lively than reading it with all the voices.
Debbie Brown
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, not-jaff
Lovely madcap Regency romance. Fabulous dialogue. Classic Heyer.

Sir Richard Wyndham is the world-weary, always perfectly attired gentleman in the book's title. He's being urged by concerned family members to wed Miss Melissa Brandon and sire an heir. Miss Brandon has the proper breeding as the daughter of the exalted Lord Saar, and Sir Richard's mother and sister insist that the two have had an assumed betrothal for years. The facts that Miss Brandon's family is on the brink of financial ruin an
Jane Stewart
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable.

I like the way this author uses sooo much dialogue. It’s good.

The audiobook narrator Georgina Sutton was good - even though she had some weirdness in some of the voices.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 3rd person. Swearing language: none. Sexual content: none. Setting: England. Book copyright: 1940. Genre: historical romance.
Lea
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my god. What a wonderful adventure! Hilarious and romantic. Loved the main couple and I think Heyer made the age difference work.
Bookish Ally
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Georgette Heyer but this novel wasn’t one of my favorites. Didn’t feel like the two belonged together.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
That was delightful! Less romantic than some of Heyer's other stories but what it lacks in romance, it makes up for with adventure in spades. I'm a sucker for a girl who attempts to pass for a boy in order to escape some hideous fate, and Penn's story was rather adorable in this way. And Richard, oh, how he endeared himself to me as her protector, despite running away from a distasteful fate himself. There's just nothing quite like reading a Georgette Heyer novel. It saddens me to no end that I' ...more
Michaela
Not one of my favourite GH novels...
Hannah
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regencys
Second Heyer I read, and much better then Faro's Daughter IMO. Pen was a very delightful heroine, and I felt Heyer did a much better job developing the budding romance between Pen and Richard then she did with the main characters in Faro's Daughter.

The plot was engaging and well maintained throughout the book, full of the types of adventures you'd expect to find in a regency (i.e. struggles against marriages of convenience, a bored yet lonely dandy, a girl disguised as a boy). I did have a bit o
kris
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.75!

Pen needs to get away -- to avoid having to marry her odious cousin. Richard needs to get away -- to avoid having to marry his iceberg girlfriend. Drunk!Richard agrees to squire nephew!Pen away across England to return her to the bosom of her childhood bff who will marry her! Cause he promised years and years ago!

Along the way they become embroiled in a diamond heist plot, a homicide, a secret betrothal, and a few other delicious schemes. ALSO LOVE. LOVE HAPPENS. IT'S PRETTY GREAT.

1. I jus
Kris
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a bit of fun. The fun lies in the plot getting more and more complicated. Yet it’s an easy read, and surprisingly I didn’t confuse the characters. This is up there with some of Heyer’s best, methinks, but not my favorite.

The heroine is rather too young for my taste, especially when compared with the love interest. I prefer a Frederica or The Grand Sophy -- a more established female character running a life of her own, who can stand on her own two feet, independent from the romantic interes

• Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #2)
  • Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand
  • Danse de la Folie
  • Imprudent Lady
  • The Parfit Knight (Rockliffe, #1)
  • A Little Folly
  • The Primrose Path
  • Three Lords for Lady Anne
  • Elyza
  • Quiet Meg (Regency Trilogy, #1)
  • The Edge of Impropriety
  • The Five-Minute Marriage
  • Georgette Heyer's Regency World
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer. Rougier later became a barrister and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance nov
“Sir Richard sighed. "Rid yourself of the notion that I cherish any villainous designs upon your person," he said. "I imagine I might well be your father. How old are you?"

"I am turned seventeen."

"Well, I am nearly thirty," said Sir Richard.

Miss Creed worked this out. "You couldn't possibly be my father!"

"I am far too drunk to solve arithmetical problems. Let it suffice that I have not the slightest intention of making love to you.”
59 likes
“I see now that there is a great deal in what Aunt Almeria says. She considers that there are terrible pitfalls in Society."

Sir Richard shook his head sadly. "Alas, too true!"

"And vice," said Pen awfully. "Profligacy, and extravagance, you know."

"I know."

She picked up her knife and fork again. "It must be very exciting," she said enviously.”
18 likes