Start by marking “Yoga for a World Out of Balance: Teachings on Ethics and Social Action” as Want to Read:
Yoga for a World Out of Balance: Teachings on Ethics and Social Action

Yoga for a World Out of Balance: Teachings on Ethics and Social Action

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Every aspect of our life has a part to play in the greater ecological system, Michael Stone explains in this book. How do we bring this large view to our yoga practice? According to Stone, our responsibility as human beings is to live in a sustainable and respectful way. He says two things need to change. First, we need to understand the relationship between our actions an ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Yoga for a World Out of Balance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga for a World Out of Balance

Elijay
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga, 2016
At the moment Michael Stone's teachings are modern and relevant in this materialistic, commercialised globalised society. The ancient yoga sutras are often over analysed. Michael Stone openly states that there is no point in trying to take meaning from thousands of years ago and apply them to present society. He's a sanskrit scholar himself so, he isn't getting the translation from other people.

Ethics is something I am very passionate about, especially in regards to the environment, fair-trade,
Claudia Kim
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Michael Stone sheds light on one of the things the humans seem to have forgotten in today's society, which is the simple fact that we as humans are a part of the ecosystem, we are one single organism, and there is no us and them. Adopting this non-dualistic world conception, he urges to bring the yamas from the ancient yoga sutras into our everyday lives, which removes the walls between spirituality and "reality"and urges us to live fully, earnestly and mindfully- NOW. I loved this book.
Andrea Bussinger
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I've read by Michael Stone, and I enjoyed it equally as much, if not more than the last. Stone gets to the heart of what ails society - in his view, materialism and greed - and teases out how the Yamas and Niyamas can address these problems. This is a very skillful adaptation of yoga philosophy for modern life. Every chapter held moments of inspiration, thanks to Stone's beautiful prose, and cutting insights into the relationship between consumerism, overwork and everyday ...more
Frank Jude
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Yoga Students as well as those interested in ethics.
This is one of the books I have used with my students studying the precepts, as four of the five yamas of the classical yoga tradition are the same as the buddhist precepts. And, the fifth yama, non-grasping certainly has linkage to the fifth precept of non-intoxication -- which Stone also points out.

I especially appreciate his working in of David Loy's concept of "lack" and how it influences behavior and the toxic consumption of our economic system. The other important contribution Stone makes
Donna
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I just finished reading this book my Michael Stone, and I feel I should start right back at the beginning again. It's not a huge book but Stone packs a lot in and it's deep stuff. I feel it would make a great text book and provide a teacher and students with great material for weekly lectures and discussions. There were many times during this book that I wanted to ask questions so I could understand better what the author meant. BTW, this book isn't about yoga as in asanas or yoga poses, rather ...more
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book examines the ancient yoga sutras, focusing specifically on the yamas, and works to apply them to today's world. However, I found it to be hard to read and difficult to understand.

The central tenet of the book is that yoga cannot only apply to life on the mat, it has to reach into other areas of our lives and exist in a dualist place. I can accept this argument, but didn't find that his commentary on the modern interpretation of the yamas held the kind of thought provoking commentary I
Celestia
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Being an Ashtanga yoga practitioner and activist, I really enjoyed this book. Stone presents ancient yogic wisdom so that it can be applied to the current context of today's fast-paced, attention-deficit, aggrieved world.

This book helps the reader to understand that everything they do, on the mat or off, has a direct impact on the world around us. A great reminder that we are but a part of the web of life, and that all is interconnected.
Dylan
great read

As I've been deepening my practice and thinking about the other seven limbs than asana practice, this was a great introduction to the yamas and how my yoga practice can be reflected in my life, and how I can use the teachings to improve my life. I didn't agree wi everything, but it was excellent.
Alexa Mergen
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
A wise friend told me that to be happy one must live in alignment with one's values. This book is helpful for clarifying values and figuring out how to live in alignment with them. You do not have to be a "yoga person" to be enriched by this book. You just have to be a person.
Monica Flynn
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Definitely one to dip in and out of again and again. Michael discusses how a yoga practice might extend into the world in our attitude toward each other and the environment. In an tangential way he brings a Buddhist Marxist critique to his discussion about our Western life style.
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Training in Compassion: Zen Teachings on the Practice of Lojong
  • Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques
  • The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind
  • The Soul Fallacy: What Science Shows We Gain from Letting Go of Our Soul Beliefs
  • Insight Yoga
  • The Deeper Dimension of Yoga: Theory and Practice
  • Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life
  • Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • Living with the Devil
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • The Yoga of Breath: A Step-by-Step Guide to Pranayama
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Buddhism as Philosophy: An Introduction
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
More about Michael Stone...