Start by marking “Affirming the Apostles’ Creed” as Want to Read:
Affirming the Apostles’ Creed

Affirming the Apostles’ Creed

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The Apostles’ Creed is the oldest, most beautiful succinct summary of Christian beliefs. Though often recited in unison during worship services, the creed begins with the phrase "I believe," making it a deeply personal profession of faith. But when was the last time you examined it closely?

In Affirming the Apostles’ Creed, an excerpt from Growing in Christ, noted Bible sch
Published June 9th 2008 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Affirming the Apostles’ Creed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Affirming the Apostles’ Creed

Leandro Guimarães
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: held
Short, quite objective, well written. It is not a full exposition such as Olevianus’ or Witsius’ (which are also available for free in English translations from the Latin and Dutch originals in Archive.org and Google Books, for reading in tablets), but still a good foretaste to further studies. Also some good bibliographical tips.

I wish he could have developed better such important points as the ‘communion of saints’, which barely gets a paragraph.

A note on a general tendence on Christian litera
Garrett
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great exploration of the gospel as found in the Apostles' Creed. Pakcer's goal is to bring us past simplistic "ABC" presentations of the gospel to one that includes realities like the Father's creative work, the believer's relationship to the church, and the work of the Holy Spirit, to name a few. Short, easily digestible chapters. The book had a great Introduction added (it was published originally as part of another book "Growing in Christ", also "I Want to Be a Christian", which included part ...more
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It was free on Kindle so I downloaded it -- it was much better than I thought and very inspiring. The book basically takes the Apostle's creed and discusses each of the affirmations of the creed. I really enjoyed reading it, and it is formatted to support a study group -- which would be a nice group to hold. They had a description of free will that I particularly liked the perspective on.
Conor
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great little book giving foundational evidences to our Apostles Creed. Perfect for personal reading or devotion, and some great discussion questions at the end of every chapter.
Brandon Wilkins
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good, simple, clear study of the Apostles' Creed by J. I. Packer

He breaks the Creed into smaller units even that just each line; so instead one chapter on, "I Believe in God the father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth," there is a chapter on 1) what it means to believe, and another on 2) Believing in a particular God, another on 3) The Fatherhood of God, another on 4) The Almightiness of God, and another on 5) Creator of Heaven and Earth. That continues throughout the study of the AC.

He discu
Mark
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent book for someone who wants to understand the words and meaning behind the one creed all Christian faiths can affirm. If the words "descended into hell" bothered you while saying the creed, the chapter on this phrase will help you understand what the meaning of the phrase is along with why it is OK so state it.
Sheldon MacGillivray
Great Overview of Basic Christian Belief

This is a quick read that will help you have an overview of Christian theology down through the ages. Packer keeps it simple and brief. If you want more, see his Concise Theology.
Scott
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An accessible introduction to Christian doctrine

A nice discussion that briefly explores the clauses of the Creed and connects them to scriptural passages and Protestant theology
Marguerite Harrell
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I do have this book in e-book format! I really do need to get this book in book form format. Great book but need to read them all over again and need to use my red pen, blue pen, highlighter, and notebook paper to write them. At the end of every chapter in this book will have Further Bible Study and Questions for Thought and Discussion. Great book for small group or Theological Group too! When I do get them in book form, then I can grade them better. I am giving this a 5 Stars but need to get th ...more
Brett
In this short work, Packer offers a series of short teachings based on eighteen phrases found in the Apostles' Creed - a fifth century summary of Christian belief. The teachings are rather elementary, but useful. In all, I found Packer's introduction to the creed more helpful than his actual teaching on the actual text. C
Jeff
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
We recite the Apostle's Creed at our church and that's new to me. I wanted to learn more about it. Affirming the Apostle's Creed is a devotional look at the creed. I was looking for more of a historical look at it, but this is a very good book with good insights and applications. It would be a good book to read again.
Glenn Crouch
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
A good little book covering the Apostles' Creed in a devotional way.

I found that doing a chapter a day as part of my devotional time to be quite rewarding.

I have always enjoyed reading Packer, and even when I don't fully agree with him, I appreciate his wisdom and insight.
Kyle
Aug 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a solid book that shows the need for the depth of the apostles' creed in the modern Christian's understanding of the gospel. It is not earth shattering and sometimes a little periodic, but overall this is a great book to help people understand and articulate their faith.
Gavin Breeden
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
This was actually my second time through this book. (First time back in 2010?) I've used it twice now as a resource while teaching through the Apostles' Creed. It's very brief but helpful. The first place I'd point someone looking for a guide through the Creed.
Brian
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read the version contained in "Growing in Christ." We used it as a Wednesday Night study and found it very fruitful for discussion. Packer focuses on details and implications we might otherwise overlook. It's a good resource to get folks thinking about what they're reciting on a given Sunday.
Akhet
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great little book which is very easy to read. It is good for small groups. It is packed full of insights into the value of this creed. The book unpacks each of the key elements if the affirmation. Who better to do this than JI Packer.
Mike Phay
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A clear, basic doctrinal overview of the Apostles' Creed from a Reformed Anglican theologian. It is concise and therefore a good start for studying the creed, but for more in depth study, one will need to look elsewhere.
Zack
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very accessible. I taught an adult Sunday course on the Apostles' Creed at my church, using this book as our main text.
Chris Comis
Jun 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology, liturgics
Packer does a great job of introducing the Apostles' Creed. He takes kind of a devotional approach to the creed. Not a lot of depth, but still worth pursuing.
Lillie
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Helpful reflection on the Apostles' Creed. We say it daily in Morning and Evening Prayer, but sometimes we don't realize how much of the faith is covered in those few words.
Steve
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2011
Very useful in preparing a series on the creed. God explanations, applicatons and study questions.
Todd Wilhelm
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good, although very brief overview of the Apostle's Creed.
Rachel
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very helpful devotional that I read with our church's Apostle's Creed sermon series. Great scripture references and through provoking questions.
John
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology
  • On Who Is God?
  • The Expository Genius of John Calvin
  • Models of the Church (Image Classics)
  • Rescuing Ambition
  • The Lord and His Prayer
  • The Radical Question: What is Jesus Worth To You?
  • Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • Overcoming Sin & Temptation
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
What do J. I. Packer, Billy Graham and Richard John Neuhaus have in common? Each was recently named by TIME magazine as among the 25 most influential evangelicals in America.

Dr. Packer, the Board of Governors’ Professor of Theology at Regent College, was hailed by TIME as “a doctrinal Solomon” among Protestants. “Mediating debates on everything from a particular Bible translation to the acceptabi
More about J.I. Packer...