Start by marking “Mouse Was Mad” as Want to Read:
Mouse Was Mad

Mouse Was Mad

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  850 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
Who knows the best way to be mad? Bear stomps. Hare hops. Bobcat screams. Mouse? He just can't get it right. But when he finds the way that works for him--still and quiet--he discovers that his own way might be the best of all.
Linda Urban's story about self-expression is both sweet and sly, and Henry Cole's cast of animal friends is simply irresistible.
Published May 4th 2009 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mouse Was Mad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse Was Mad

Ann
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Okay, officially adorable!

This is a great little tale about how we express our feelings in different ways (Bear stomps his foot, Bobcat screams, etc. - but what does Mouse do?).

While, if I'm being *totally* picky I could say that I wanted a little better resolution at the end, but the story is still great and the adorableness completely makes up for it!

The moral I got from the story? That we all have different ways to express our emotions, and that one way is not better than another, we just ne
Kathryn
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is a hoot! I absolutely loved it. The illustrations are SO expressive and charmingly humorous! Little Mouse is so MAD but he can't quite express his anger in a way he sees fit. Other animals try to show him how they express their anger, but poor Mouse can only give feeble imitations--which only makes him angrier! In the end, he is SO mad he expresses his anger in a way wholly his own, one that the other creatures totally admire. Highly recommended!
Tasha
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mouse is hopping mad. Until Hare tells him he looks “ridiculous.” But when Mouse tries to hop like Hare, he tumbles into a mud puddle. Mouse is now even angrier. Stomping mad, in fact. Bear arrives and shows him how he should be stomping. But when Mouse tries, it doesn’t have the same earth shaking effects. In fact, it’s much more Mouse-shaking and Mouse falls into another mud puddle. Now Mouse is screaming mad. Bobcat tries to show Mouse how to really scream, but Mouse, you guessed it, falls in ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ages 2-8
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
This book is hilarious. The story and illustrations are both so funny, which is terrific when reading about a normally difficult emotion to express: anger.

I would have appreciated more about dealing with anger, rather than just how mouse ended up doing it, but I loved how it was shown that emotions are fleeting, that angry feelings won’t last. The illustrations couldn’t be more perfect for the story.

This is one book that can be thoroughly enjoyed by very young children and somewhat older childr
Angela
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's when mouse if rolling-around-on-the-ground mad that we had trouble copying all Mouse's moves at storytime. In any case, a lovely picture book. I'm a sucker for Henry Cole's illustrations and would read a repair manual if it was written by Linda Urban.
Recommended for ages 2-5 and the whole family.
Kate
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
We love this book at my house. Though intended for the youngest readers, it kind of transcends age, so while it's perfect for a toddler, it's also one that my seven-year-old daughter giggles at every time we pick it up. She and I both love the playful language, the energy of anger and chaos and quiet, all in turn. Henry Cole's cuter-than-cute illustrations bring added life to Linda Urban's story of a mouse who can't even seem to get mad the right way, according to the other animals, until he fin ...more
babyhippoface
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If I could get my kids out of their angry fits with this kind of humor, I'd be a better mom. I love the way the animals just sort of butt in and try to correct Mouse, when they really have no idea what's going on. Henry Cole's illustrations are the perfect complement--cute, and full of expression.
Nikki
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute story with great illustrations. It shows that everyone deals with anger/strong emotions in their own way and that sometimes just a little quiet time can make all the difference. What my 5 yr old told me after she read it was that it was funny that Mouse ended up in the mud puddles. Not sure she took away the same message I did, although I do expect at least some of it sunk in. :)
Emma Zvonar
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adorable illustrations and an important lesson about emotions. When mouse gets mad he tried many things to calm him down but nothing works for him. Finally he finds that being still and taking many deep breaths calmed him down. It was his own individual method and he had to find it out on his own. This can show children appropriate coping methods and understanding emotions.
Madison
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the very first page the mouse appears to be angry and the readers are not sure why. The mouse trys to hop, stomp, scream and roll around in order to express his anger. No matter what he tries there was always another creature in the story that could do it better than him. Any behavior he tries to act on another character corrects him how to be better or told the mouse how to do the action the "right" way. Even though being mad is just an emotion and everyone can express this their own way, ...more
ST Harker
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Comparing Linda Urban’s Mouse Was Mad To James Joyce’s Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

While not similar in achievement or merit, the children’s picture book Mouse Was Mad does bear a striking resemblance to the classic Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Each book gives a journey of its protagonist from simple id to a creative being knowledgeable of both self and his environment.

Seriously, you are actually reading this?

Both the Mouse and the Artist start off in states of pure id, one m
Teri Patterson
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-emotional
This ridiculous story about animals in the woods will give lots to talk about in regards to anger, trying to help a friend, and calming down. The story doesn’t tell us why mouse was mad, but he’s hopping mad. Things get worse when he tries to hop like Hare and the story continues along that line until mouse is perfectly still, impressively still.

Vocabulary: achieved, sphere, impressive

Animal Friends Activity: Hare hops, bear stomps, bobcat screams, hedgehog rolls. What other animals and animal a
Jeanette Rakestraw
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Great book to teach children to never give up. Sometimes when children aren't able to carry out a task that others can, they become frustrated and become discouraged. What they take away from this story is that they have talents that others don't and if you continue trying at whatever is set before you, your gifts will revealed. Always encourage other. It makes me think of my own children. My oldest always struggled in school, she worked really hard just to maintain. My middle child never studie ...more
Graciela Gonzalez
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a mouse that is mad and tries different ways to deal with his anger. He finally becomes aware that just breathing and standing still is the best way to calm down and not be mad anymore. This book can help children identify with being mad. You can even have a discussion on what do they do to calm down. You can even provide different ways to relax if they are not aware how to calm down after being upset. The children will know that there are many ways to calm down and wide range ...more
Mary
Mouse is mad. Hopping mad, in fact. But, according to rabbit, his hopping is ridiculous. Rabbit shows him how to hop properly, and when mouse tries again, he lands in a mud puddle. This makes him even madder. STOMPING mad, in fact. But bear has an opinion about mouse’s stomping ability. One by one, the animals criticize mouse’s actions, making him more and more mad, until mouse finds a way to be mad that no one can top. Of course, the admiration he receives from the other animals cures his bad m ...more
Bethany
Apr 13, 2009 rated it liked it
A very mad, very little, very cute mouse hops, stomps, screams, and rolls on the ground in anger as other animals look on and give pointers on how to improve his technique. Each attempt to hop farther, stomp more fiercly, scream louder, or roll faster lands him in a disgusting puddle of muck. In the end, Mouse discovers that his anger disappears when he stands perfectly, inimitably still.

I'm not sure what the message of this book is. "You'll be angry until you're better than everyone else at som
Susan
Aug 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-no-no, 2015, storybook
A bunch of animals telling mouse why he is 'not allowed' to be angry in ways that feel comfortable for him to be angry. Even at the end, the author did not 'allow' mouse to be angry. Instead, mouse stands still, breathes, and stops being angry. Why is mouse not allowed to be angry? Why is he not allowed to express anger in ways that are allowed for other animals (and which would be reasonable to an average human of the target age)?

A book with a message of suppressing anger that is inconvenient
Larissa
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Urban, Linda, and Henry Cole. Mouse Was Mad. Orlando: Harcourt Children's, 2009. Print. Ages 6+ Mouse was mad is a simple and fun read for kids wanting to see what the life of a mouse is like. This journey takes the mouse through different animals and how they interact and are able to react to how mouse was mad (bears, rabbits, etc.) At the end of the book he ends up not being too mad, and taking a nice relaxing bath. This book was a nice and easy read so, this is why in turn I ended up enjoying ...more
Lyn
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Mouse doesn't know how to show others how angry he is. He tries to be hopping mad only to be told by the hare that he looks ridiculous. The hare offers to show him how to hop. His attempt to follow Hare's lead ends with Mouse in a puddle of water.

Next Mouse tries stomping. Bear tells him that stomping should shake the trees and cause the earth to rumble. Mouse tries to do as Bear suggests but ends up in another puddle of water.

Readers will enjoy following Mouse as other creatures try to teach hi
Gabe
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A good story for teaching anger management to very young people. The lessons are (a) tantruming makes things worse (b) calming down is powerful (flipping the power of shouting and stopping to being calm), and (c) reviews strategies to get calm: be still, take a breath. I changed the story to include teh mouse saying, "I'm mad."

You'll have to exagerate these points, but it makes for a lovely read. You can easily create actions for children to act out the story. I ended up photocoping the charact
Mary
Mouse starts this book out being ‘hopping mad!’ Urban uses common idioms for anger and interprets them with animals who would act that way when they’re mad. Mouse tries to do as the other animals do, but winds up in a mud puddle every time. He finally gets so mad that he stands perfectly still. Everyone else tries to act like him, but nobody can do it as well as he can. Finally, he realizes that he’s not mad anymore!
This is a great book for young children -- they can interact with the characters
Sae Heo
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is very cute and fun. Mouse express and imitate different animals his feeling of mad. He could not express exactly same, so he was really mad. However, nobody can not imitate mouse, when he stand very still. If children read the "Mouse Was Mad", they can learn many words, and they recognize that everyone has different characters in their lives.

Extension: Teacher will ask what is your distinct character differ other friend. Draw their character on the paper, children share with friends
Melanie
Mouse is mad. Hopping, stomping, screeching mad. But as he performs each action he is told by a wildlife creature that he is doing it wrong. Bear tells him that when he stomps the earth and trees should tremble. When he screeches Bobcat tells him that the screech should echo far and wide. Eventually Mouse becomes so frustrated and angry that he stands stock still, not moving a muscle. The other animals stare in awe at Mouses' ability to stand so still.

All of a sudden, Mouse realizes that he's no
Allison Zingale
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought this book was cute and simple. The illustrations throughout the entire book were great in showing motion and emotion- two major components of the book. My absolute favorite part was finding the message at the end. This is a wonderful book to read to kids if they have tempers or if they need some help controlling anger. I wish I had this book a week ago when I was working with a young girl who was having a fit. It is a great book for bibliotherapy.
Angela
Best for kids ages 4 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: Print motivation, Narrative Skills

From cover:
Who knows the best way to be mad?
Bear stamps. Bobcat screams. Mouse? He just can't get it right. But if he can find his own way, that might be the best of all.

Sweet and adorable characters that will keep your kids giggling throughout this story about how it is best to find your own way to deal with things.
Kelly
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Mouse begins the book mad and gets madder still when his efforts to express his anger are out-done by his friends: Hare hops better, Bear stomps harder, Bobcat screams louder, Hedgehog rolls around the on the ground better - and to top things off, Mouse keeps landing in mucky puddles. Eventually Mouse is so mad that all he can do is STAND very, very still - something he does better than anybody else.

The text is adorable and the illustrations even more so.
Julie
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for a kids book. If you have kids that ever get mad then this book is for you! I was amazed at how my 4 year old reacted to this book. He seemed to really internalize it...we'll see how it works over the next few days. (and then I couldn't wait to read it to my 7 year old too!!) I got this from the library but am contemplating buying it so we can read it over and over and over again. Great book!
Robin
Mouse is mad, but has a hard time showing it. He can't hop like hare, or stomp so the groud shakes like Bear, or scream like the bobcat. It does turn out that he's better at standing still mad than anyone else, though they all try. By the time they are finished, Mouse has been still and breathing for a while . . . long enough that he's not angry anymore.

A cute book on handling anger, without feeling like a lesson book at all.
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a favourite with my boys. They love reading about how mouse gets madder and madder, and about how his friends are trying to help him, but it's not exactly working. The form repetition and word repetition really helps my beginning reader, and both he and his bigger brother enjoy Mouse's unfortunate mud puddle incidents. There are some good opportunities to reinforce speech therapy here, especially with terminal consonants ('s' and 'd', among others).
Shannon
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a great book that deals with the angry, foot stoping, yelling screaming, flopping on the floor fits that most parents have been witness to.
The story flows smoothly and the illustrations are clear and colorful. Hearing each animal tell Mouse how to act if he is mad adds humor and warmth. Our 4 yr old really enjoys this book and very quickly recognized her own actions in parallel to Mouse's.
  • Finn Throws a Fit
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • The Doghouse
  • Magic Box
  • Pouch!
  • The Bear Who Shared
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Jump!
  • Big Smelly Bear
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • The Thingamabob
  • Grumpy Bird
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Going to Sleep?
  • Hello Baby!
This was from the About Me section at Linda Urban's website.

I was born in Detroit, Michigan, and raised in a suburban house that looked like all the others on my street. Sometimes I liked that sameness. It made me feel normal, when I worried I wasn’t.

Other times, though, I wanted to be different — to shine, to have people see me as special. I tried ballet dancing and singing and playing musical in
More about Linda Urban...