Start by marking “There Was an Old Man Who Painted the Sky” as Want to Read:
There Was an Old Man Who Painted the Sky

There Was an Old Man Who Painted the Sky

When a child looks up to find drawings on the ceiling of a cave, she wonders how they were painted. Planets that spin, the birds and the beasts, woman and man—how did the old man in the sky paint it all? Based on the 1879 discovery of ceiling paintings in Spain's Altamira Cave, this imaginative story expresses the awe of contemplating the creation of the world and locating ...more
Published July 21st 2009 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about There Was an Old Man Who Painted the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Was an Old Man Who Painted the Sky

Amy
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My niece and nephew both loved this book. My niece actually read/sang this one to us. She is by far the best singer in our family, and the words to There Was an Old Man Who Painted the Sky are set to the tune of There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, which is a song she knows well. After our experience reading Punk Farm, I learned that my niece needs to perform all books with a musical element. She did a lovely reading for us, and I was proud of her reading and musical ability.

She was comple
Michelle Doerr
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a beautifully illustrated book! I love the culture and history that is discussed based on the paintings found in a cave in Spain. I classify this as a historical fiction book for ages 4-10. The book rhymes like a song as you read about the paintings which include the planets, man and woman, and animals. A little girl wonders how the world was made; how the old man painted the sky. The first thing you see when you look at a book is the illustrations. There are excellent pictures that caught ...more
Anna
Aug 06, 2009 rated it liked it
I got a little bored with the illustrations after while but overall this book was lovely.

Sloat has not just created another cheesy version of "I know an old lady…” she has pushed that folk song into a whole different place. When a child looks up at a ceiling of cave drawings she ponders how they were painted and we are told the story of the old man who painted the sky. Wow! It’s a marvelous book, beautiful and gentle in the way that it explores the unknown of creation. The illustrations are all
Linda
It's a book new to me to an old song, that Woman Who Swallowed the Fly. This time it is a gorgeous-to-see creation story, somewhat based on the discovery in 1879 of Spain's Altamira cave paintings by a nine year old girl! It's by Teri Sloat and illustrated by Stefano Vitale. Sloat takes one through the creation more and more as Vitale adds her imaginative paintings. As you can see from the cover, the art is gorgeous.
Mary Jo Garcia-Brown
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book. I love the brilliantly-colored and fantastically-rendered illustrations. I also loved the amazing story based on paleolithic cave paintings in Spain. When I selected the book, I did so thinking it was a folktale, and in some ways, I suppose it is. It is an effort to retell a story that was originally only told in pictures, the story of a people long gone.
Heather Dunbar
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The artwork in this book is marvelous! I can hardly remember the story because the pictures are over-captivating. This story is somewhat based on fact, so would make for great supplemental reading. But the actual story is somewhat dry.
Tasha
Mar 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book captures the beauty of cave paintings that were discovered at the Altamira Cave in 1879. A young girl found the paintings when she was eight years old and exploring with her father, an amateur archaeologist. This book captures the spirit of the paintings and marries their glory with a catchy tune, introducing the wonder of these images to a new generation. They have already survived 11,000-19,000 years, so it’s only appropriate to share them with generations.

The refrain in this
Nancy
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought I was buying another to add to my collection of variations on "There Was An Old Lady..." type books. While the song melody does fit, it doesn't follow the verse format strictly. This is about the primitive paintings in Altamira Cave in Spain, discovered in 1879. The author also weaves in the creation story into her 'lyrics.' I was a little hesitant to use it for work, but I don't know that my usual elementary/public school audience will necessarily make the biblical connection. It's a ...more
Heather
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
4 1/2 - read a few times and O seemed rather intrigued by the idea of cave paintings.
Emily
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
liked illustrations
July 23, 2010
Alicia
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A great story of creationism about "the old man" who created the world (and painted the sky). The illustrations and rhyming created a great backdrop to creating the world-- no easy feat.
Jul 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A colorful variation of the creation story.
Preston Fordstrom
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ananda, young-reader
Ananda read this book about pre-historic cave paintings in Spain. She said that it was OK.
Stephanie