Start by marking “City I Love” as Want to Read:
City I Love

City I Love

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
City I Love sparkles like the lights in Times Square! Featuring eighteen poems that guide the reader on an international tour—from New York to San Francisco, London to Tokyo, and beyond—this exuberant collection is the perfect read-aloud for city kids, aspiring world travelers, and adventurous spirits everywhere.

Beloved children’s poet Lee Bennett Hopkins and New Yorker a
Published April 1st 2009 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about City I Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City I Love

N_katiebernard
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Written by Hopkins, this collection of poems centers around what happens in the city: what is seen, heard, and felt. Each poem takes a typical experience for someone who is in an urban area and describes it with such detail and description, that even construction zones are something to be appreciated. Some of the poems are creatively placed on the page, allowing for students to see symmetry and repetition within a poem. The poems are accompanied by beautiful pictures.

This book allows for the ci
Betsy
Jun 25, 2009 rated it liked it
It's funny to think that in the past most American kids lived on farms, yes? Nowadays the bulk of young `uns have at least a passing familiarity with big city life, even if they don't live there themselves. So I sit and stare at this picture book collection of city-based poems and I think about it. What audience are we reaching out to here? Are there kids enthralled by bright lights, big cities? Do they wonder about far away places, and are willing to take a trip there, albeit a roundabout one v ...more
A_Leticia
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
If you are looking for a good poetry book to read to your students that includes several of the elements of poetry, look no further. There are several kinds of poetry found in this book: lyric or expressive poems, dialogue poems, and even free verse. Some of the elements that are found within these poems are sound, comparison, and its use of images. In terms of sound, the use of onomatopoeia and alliteration are widely used. Comparison is used in a few of the poems as well to create a sense of i ...more
Ashley
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this as part of a poetry sharing exercise for a class towards my MLS. I truly enjoyed the adorable illustrations and quirky poems!
Cathy Knight
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Fiction, poetry (2009)

Copyright date: 2009

Estimate of age level of interest: K - 3

Estimate of reading level: Dewey: 811; Int Lvl: K-3; Rd Lvl: 3.7

Brief description: Life in cities around the world is represented in beautiful images and fun prose!

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book. One characteristic of poetry is that it is typically brief, though not always, and uses pat
Menna Admasu
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
City I love is a book focusing on traveling to many cities. This is a poetry book that takes you on an international tour. I love how this book doesn't focus on one culture but many. The story isn't focused n just one character, but it's more focused on explaining what is all in these different cities. Although this is a poetry book it is also an informational story about what you see in these cities. It is age appropriate for children, and it is an interesting book for them to learn about diffe ...more
Rachel Collins
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Poetry
Grade Level: 4-5

This collection of poems was a different type of book than I usually read, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. When teaching poetry in a classroom, I think this would be a great book to use. The poems are pretty simple yet well written and the illustrations add a lot to them. This could be the beginning of a love for poetry for many students. It also advocates for love of ones city. I would recommend it.
Kimberly Coller
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perfect for an introduction to Poetry!
Becky B
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
An ode to cities all over the world in various poetic forms.

This is a fantastic poetry collection that perfectly summarizes all the things to love about city life. I really, really liked how the illustrator took these poems that could take place in any city and gave the book a very international feel by placing each spread in a different country. It helped introduce the many faces of cities, while also pointing out similarities too. The variety of poems and sentiments they convey are great, but
Jan 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Young readers will catch the travel bug after reading this light collection of short poems about cities. Although the poems do not rhyme, the words create an image to match the topic as in the poem “Kite” where the kite “flitters, twirls, tumbles, twitters”. The words do not rhyme but instead give a visual of the kite floating in the air. Another technique the author uses to create imagery in the poems is how the poem is set up. In the poem “Snow City”, the word down is written in falling text t ...more
Amy Forrester
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This collection of 18 poems takes the reader on a journey to cities around the world. With his backpack in tow a small brown dog travels the world observing as he goes. From New York to Cairo, Moscow to Rio De Janeiro, cities everywhere are celebrated:

“Sing a song of cities.
If you do,
Cities will sing back
to you.”

The poems are a mix of previously published poems and new pieces by Hopkins. Some poems are short; just a few carefully chosen words convey a world of meaning. While others are longer;
Kristie Wurglitz
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book is a collection of poems that are centered around living in the city, (sounds they hear, things they see, what they might smell, etc). I liked how this book gave a "tour" to different big/popular cities around the world (New-York, San-Fran, Tokyo, Cairo, London). I think this would be a good read for students who are adventurists and enjoy learning about new places. Not every poem was filled with joy, as some of them displayed the negative (or not so pretty) realities of living in the ...more
Dominique Maderitz
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: award-winners
City I Love Hopkins by Lee Bennett award winner of the NCTE Award for Excellence in Poetry for Children follows the criteria of this award because it brings about imagination and is appealing to children.This story was about New York City and all the beauty that comes along with it. I loved all the rhyming and the flow of each page. The book went along so wonderfully with the pictures and was cute and eye catching. I enjoyed the different descriptions of the different building and the subways in ...more
Ch_nataliepelaia
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry

The City I Love- A dog who is traveling around the world, who stops to make poetic observations while stopping in several cities. He stops in Asia, Europe, and every continent to observe and share his thoughts of the city.
The illustrations of ink and watercolor are beautiful and the poetic writing flows nicely. This would be a good book for children to see famous landmarks and where they are located. It's a good learning tool for children to see what's outside of their city or town. Children 4
Neha Amin
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Review; This is a okay poetry collection. This book features poems city life and things you might see in the city. There is one poem per page, though some poems do take up two pages. The way that the words are written, all over the place, might confuse a child. The illustration are really well done. They are of different cities and different places in a city.

Chosen poem: City

Mile-long skyscrapers are my trees.
Subway's whoosh-my summer breeze.

A hydrant is my swimming pool
Where friends and I find
Andrea Davis
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This small collection of city based poems show a great variety of what poetry can do and what poetry can be. I love the illustrations and the repeated use of the dog, you never know what he'll be doing on the next page. This book would be good for students to analyze and be a base for their own creative writing. Perhaps to those kids who live in suburban areas, this book can provide some insight of what a city is like.
Sam Bloom
Apr 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
I really enjoy the premise behind this book - poems about cities, with illustrations that highlight specific cities that are shown on a map at the beginning of the book. A Snoopy-like dog travels through the cities in the book's excellent illustrations. However, the poems themselves rarely have anything to do with the cities from the illustrations. In fact, as much as I *do* enjoy Lee Bennett Hopkins, the poems are largely pedestrian. It's fun to look at, though.
Dolly
This is a fascinating collection of poems accompanied by illustrations that depict a little dog travelling the world and seeing some of the most famous urban places. The poems are quite disparate, some in traditional formats, like haiku, others quite unique; some rhyming, some not. We read a few at a time and discussed the locations depicted. Our oldest liked the poems, but our youngest did not. At least she liked the illustrations...
Dianne J.
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Age of readership: Ages 5 - 10

Genre: Poetry

Diversity: City Life Worldwide

Illustrations: Brush, ink and watercolor painted playfully realistic scenes

My response to the book: 18 poems highlight and celebrate the diversity of cities from Toronto to Tokyo and many others in between, as traveled to by a dog and a bird.

Curricular/Programming connections: Use during a unit on poetry and explore multiple cities worldwide.
Liz
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
I love cities and I enjoyed these poems. It helps city living and experiences come to life for the reader. Cities are from around the world... based on the maps in the end pages, but I'm not sure I know which cities go with which poems. Did I miss that??? I realize there are some indications in the illustrations but I'm still not positive.
The Reading Countess
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is a beautiful book celebrating the beauty of cities across the globe. I loved the international attention that cities worldwide received. The good, the bad and the ugly about living in large cities can be found in this lighthearted book. Think of it like a Where's Waldo for the passport loving reader!
Victoria Clay
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a great little book of poetry. The poems are simple enough to understand. It could be great to talk about different types of poetry. It also shows how one topic, like the city, holds so many possibilities.
Rebecca
I love this poetry for students to reference as an example for how to write about something you enjoy. This book of poetry displays a variety of structure for constructing a poem. I recommend this for 2nd-5th grades.
Chenoa Brown
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems, diversity
-Grades Pre-K to 2nd grade
-Awesome book full of poems
-Great way to read about diversity in the form of poems
-Can be used as an assessment for seeing if students can figure out what city or location is being described
Sandy
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I love the way that each poem deals with a different aspect of city life. The illustrations complement the poems and expand the story, with each picture depicting a different major city (London, Paris, San Francisco, New York, etc.).
Karla
Jul 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Loved the New Yorker style illustrations and the little dog backpacking through cities all over the world. The poems were good, but nothing really grabbed me.
jenny
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
really cute travel poems.
Erin
Apr 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: polis
Illustrations are much better than the poetry, but still a nice tribute to city living.
Zack
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-non-fiction
Nice poems with wonderful illustrations. A great trip around the world for kids.
« previous 1 3 4 next »