Start by marking “Sybil” as Want to Read:
Sybil

Sybil

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  75,268 Ratings  ·  1,313 Reviews
More amazing than any work of fiction, yet true in every word, it swept to the top of the bestseller lists and riveted the consciousness of the world. As an Emmy Award-winning film starring Sally Field, it captured the home screens of an entire nation and has endured as the most electrifying TV movie ever made. It's the story of a survivor of terrifying childhood abuse, vi ...more
Paperback, First oversize mass market edition, 492 pages
Published April 1st 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Sybil, please sign up.

Sdownsa It`s an amazing book, I strongly recommand it to all parents maybe it causes them to consider about their behavior to their children and stops the…moreIt`s an amazing book, I strongly recommand it to all parents maybe it causes them to consider about their behavior to their children and stops the serious problems which may effect to their lives.(less)
Alyssa Fontaine I got the book from Barnes and Noble for around $10.

Brooke
Oct 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who is interested in the mysteries of the human mind
Another old book review from my blog:

This was one seriously fucked up book. I have never seen the movie but, of course, knew what I was in for when I got the book. The name "Sybil" is very well known, and carries some stigma, in pop culture.
However, I had no concept of the extent or the perversity of Sybil's mother's abuse which had been the prime instigation for Sybil's dissociations. When I was reading the sections describing what she had done to her daughter, I was literally beating my head
Alessandra
A nasty piece of work. What's worse is it's a fraud. "Sibyl's" doctor manipulated her with drug dependency and emotional blackmail into agreeing with the doctor's pet theories about multiple personalities, which had catastrophic effects on psychology for decades.

It's like reading a transcript of a witch trial confession.

This book does a serious disservice to abuse victims.
Mandy
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this in high school for my Psychology class. I'd never heard of Sybil or multiple personalities. I was so skeptical about all of it that when I read the book I had a hard time stopping with the class. We weren't allowed to read ahead and I was chomping at the bit to read the ending. Great book and side note... the movie is just as good. Sally Field was superb in it.
Kathryn
May 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fake-scams
This book is one of the most disgusting books ever written. For all of you about to read this book, thinking it's a true story, please read the following:

This book was the brainchild of three women: Cornelia Wilbur, Shirley Mason, and Flora Schreiber. Shirley, or "Sybil" as she's known, did not suffer from DID. She actually had Pernicious Anemia. Extensive research has been done on Sybil's case, and it has been proven that the entire book was fictious.

Shirley developed all of her "personalities"
Ahmad Sharabiani
Sybil, Flora Rheta Schreiber
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و یکم ماه فوریه سال 1985 میلادی
عنوان: سی بل؛ نویسنده: فلورا ریتل شرایبر؛ مترجم: عباس داوری؛ تهران، کاج، 1363؛ در 308 ص؛ چاپ دوم 1364؛ چاپ سوم 1365؛ چاپ چهارم تهران، خامه، 1369؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، مهتاب، نغمه، 1376، شابک: 9649124840؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، نغمه، 1384، در 358 ص، چاپ دیگر: تهران، نغمه، 1395، در 320 ص؛ شابک: 9789649134840؛ موضوع: سرگذشتنامه بیماران چند شخصیتی - قرن 20 م
زندگی یک دانشجوی هنر در دانشگاه کلمبیا به نام «سیبل آن دورست» است که ا
Sara W
This was a very fascinating and at times very disturbing book. I probably would have given it 4 stars, but I made the mistake of looking up details about this woman online prior to finishing the book which really changed my feelings about the actual author and doctor involved. Apparently this woman's story is very controversial in the mental health field. Had I known that, I would have finished the book prior to looking up details online (more on this under "spoiler"), and I would suggest that i ...more
Kelly
Mar 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
As a YA librarian I get tons upon tons of requests for A Child Called It, a fantastically horrible memoir about a childhood spent living with an abusive mother. I frequently get questions from other librarians that go something like "why do teens like to read that junk?" Well, it wasn't that long ago that adults all over the country were caught up in Sybil, a book that is the grandfather of the tragic childhood memoir.

When Sybil came to Dr. Wilbur for analysis, there wasn't a lot of material on
10/8 - I have been wanting to read this for nearly two decades, since I first heard about the 'case' when I was 12 or 13. In those intervening 18 years I've seen the Sally Field movie and learned the truth behind this story, but I'm still fascinated by the idea of true DID and even if I have to treat it as a fictional account of DID I'm excited to start reading it tonight. To be continued...

Later - The fraudulent nature of this book aside, the writing is annoying the hell out of me - it's way to
Shaun
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes when my kids are really pushing my buttons, I remind them if they don't want the "mean" mommy to make an appearance they had better knock it off. And to be sure, the "mean" mommy, the one who loses her composure and who feels as if she could literally pull her hair out, is far removed from the the loving and patient mommy I identify with, the mommy who also happens to be fascinated by the science of brain and behavior and the origin and experience of consciousness.

So this true story (w
K
I don't know if I can give this a fair review. I only picked it up because I was curious to read "Sybil Exposed" and thought I should read the original "Sybil" first. As such, I went in with preconceived skepticism which, according to goodreads trolls, is a mortal sin and means I have no moral right to review this book. So feel free to skip my review if that bothers you, or read on and take it from who it comes.

The story of "Sybil" is certainly dramatic but not particularly credible. The book de
Goodreads Librari...: combining books 3 12 Feb 27, 2017 06:19AM
The Rory Gilmore ...: June's Book 2015 Sybil 5 113 Jun 20, 2015 10:58AM
Is Sybil real? 5 126 Feb 15, 2014 11:05AM
Did it really happen? 22 391 Dec 31, 2013 11:14AM
Chicks On Lit: "True" StoriesThat Were Faked 9 171 Oct 26, 2011 12:06PM
  • When Rabbit Howls
  • The Three Faces Of Eve
  • First Person Plural: My Life as a Multiple
  • Switching Time: A Doctor's Harrowing Story of Treating a Woman with 17 Personalities
  • The Flock: The Autobiography of a Multiple Personality
  • A FRACTURED MIND: MY LIFE WITH MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER
  • I'm Eve
  • Sybil Exposed: The Extraordinary Story Behind the Famous Multiple Personality Case
  • Dibs in Search of Self
  • Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Song of the Simple Truth: The Complete Poems of Julia de Burgos
  • The Day the Voices Stopped
  • A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister
  • Suffer the Child
  • Amongst Ourselves: A Self-Help Guide to Living with Dissociative Identity Disorder
  • The Meaning of Consuelo
  • The Quiet Room: A Journey Out of the Torment of Madness
  • Madness: A Bipolar Life
Flora Rheta Schreiber (April 24, 1918 - November 3, 1988), an American journalist, was the author of the 1973 bestseller Sybil, the story of a woman (identified years later as Shirley Ardell Mason) who suffered from Dissociative Identity Disorder.

More about Flora Rheta Schreiber...
“You're never ready for what you have to do. You just do it. That makes you ready.” 62 likes
“Isolated, she managed somehow to feel free—albeit with a freedom that made her want to smash a hole in the very center of the universe.” 45 likes