Start by marking “The Wilt Alternative (Wilt, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Wilt Alternative (Wilt, #2)

The Wilt Alternative (Wilt #2)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  2,616 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
In this, the second of Tom Sharpe's chronicles about Henry Wilt, our hero is no longer the victim of his own uncontrolled fantasies. As Head of a reconstituted Liberal Studies Department he has assumed power without authority at the Fenland College of Arts & Technology and the fantasies he now confronts are those of political bigots and reactionary bureaucrats- in addi ...more
Published October 12th 1984 by Random House Vintage (first published July 30th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Wilt Alternative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wilt Alternative

Floripiquita
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
No pude parar de reír con el momento manga pastelera.
Maria João Fernandes
"Wilt especulava sobre o paradoxo do progresso material e da decadência espiritual e, como de costume, não chegou a conclusão alguma."

A vida de Henry Wilt caminha sempre por linhas tortas. Tem mais dores de cabeça como presidente dos Estudos de Formação Geral do que quando era apenas um professor. Agora tem de lidar com os professores, além dos estudantes. Em casa as coisas não são muito melhores. Num novo bairro, numa nova casa, com um estatuto social mais elevado, Eva Wilt está mais entusiasma
David Smith
I think I may have outgrown Tom Sharpe. Funny - yes. But wanted to finish so I could turn to something more nutritious. Perhaps I was in the wrong frame of mind.
Maria
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first book.
BookAmbler
May 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I think this has got to be man’s humour, because it reminds me of that TV prog The Worst Week of My Life which my ex guffaws at, whilst I remain stony faced until my five minute cringe-threshold is reached, and then I have to leave the room.

I rarely give up on a book, but only read a third of this before I was getting too wound up to continue. Not a relaxing Sunday afternoon read! I do not find other people’s misfortunes funny. I do not find lack of communication funny. I do not find one incide
Antonio Gomez M
Después del primer libro de la serie, que me pareció de lo más divertido que he leído, supuse complicado llegar a ese nivel con la continuación, y así me lo ha parecido. La historia es aún más absurda que la primera, pero con menos gracia. Como entretenimiento no está mal. Se lee rápido, y se dispara contra todo: religión, modas, snobs, educación.. Se echan de menos las charlas de Wilt con el inspector de policía o con sus alumnos, que eran una risa total. No está mal, pero tampoco es imprescind ...more
Jeffrey
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading after many years. This follow on from the first book in the series, Wilt, is just as funny and delivers some genuine belly laughs from Tom Sharpe's usual high farce. Having read it before (several times!) I knew what was coming but Sharpe's style ensures it remains fresh, witty and humorous - the joy is in the delivery, not just the content.
Stephanie Augustin
While some may say it is in the same vein as Wilt, this has the quads playing a fantastic supporting role. (And why not if Sharpe hits gold every time?) I have yet to erase the image of Wilt impersonating the People's Alternative Army. The joy of fucking with anti-terrorist squads. A tour de farce. And all I can say is : MORE.
Christina
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical, unbelievable unfolding of events. Superb economy of prose in some spots: Inspector Flint retreated behind the sofa. "That is most certainly Mrs. Eva Wilt," he cried. (I'm paraphrasing here.)
Swanny
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
so funny, i cried
Paul Wood
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not as good as the first in the series. About halfway through it got slightly far fetched, and to be honest I just wanted to finish it to get it out of the way.
Javier
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first one but not terrible either. The last chapters are the worst, but there's a laugh here and there. I might read the next one in the series some day.
Mdemerteuil
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Livre idéal pour les vacances, se lit très facilement.
JonSnow
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 hilarious!

I've yet to read another author who can convey the ridiculous, the satirical, and the downright hilariousness of fu$#ed up situations in such an... enjoyable way. Anything I say about the actual book will spoil it, so I can't comment much on that front, other than to say if you want to read something funny, something that will occassionally even make you quite literally laugh, or at the very least chuckle, out loud... this is it.

I would recommend this to ANYONE with a sense of humo
Jeremy
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Hilarious as always. Some of his phrases are truly unforgettable! Much of the book is laugh out loud humour.
Sam
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very funny will certainley make you smile. In my opinion in terms of humour I found Wilt alternative more funny than Wilt, weather that is just down to the fact I get Tom sharpe humour more now or fact it was just genrally more funny to me I don't know. In the story Wilt is same old mellacholic self, despite fact he lives in much bigger house and has "quads". The story starts off with Wilt self loathing himself in beer after discovering a teacher in his depatment had made a student make love to ...more
Michael
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it

Tom Sharpe’s Henry Wilt returns. That should be enough to make any of his fans read on. But that’s not all. Eva is back as well, and in this 2nd Wilt book, the couple have been blessed with issue. Very blessed. With quadruplets! And to make Wilt’s life even better, they’re all girls. Bewildered as ever, Henry grasps for some sanity in his upside down world, and the only solution the beleaguered Department Head can come up with is to fall madly in love with the coed renting the apartment upstairs
David Szondy
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Henry Wilt's life never seems to go quite right. Even though he's now head of liberal studies at his college, it gives him even more headaches than when he was a teacher because now he not only has to deal with crude students, but raving revolutionary instructors as well. His home life isn't much better. At his wife Eva's insistence, they now life in a great pile of a house where Eva can give full vent to her current enthusiasm for alternative living while their quadruplet daughters only become ...more
Natalie Petchnikow
Wilt n'aime pas les femmes, ni son boulot, ni d'ailleurs tout ce qui se met entre lui, sa bière et son pub. Mais voilà, il n'a pas encore réussi à se débarrasser d'Eva, sa chère épouse. Le destin lui a même joué un sacré tour. Il est désormais père de quadriplettes. Cinq à la maison. Trop pour ce misogyne ultra-acide et peu porté sur l'art subtil de la négociation. Alors Wilt se jette à corps perdu dans le travail. Suite à cette désaffection paternelle, Eva embauche Irmgard, une jeune fille au p ...more
Benjamin Elliott
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Wilt, the main character, is a somewhat listless academic. He's the head of his department, but doesn't really have the authority to do anything. He's riddled with anxieties and has all sorts of misadventures based on miscommunication and some poor decision making. I imagine if Don DeLillo wrote a comedy it would turn out a lot like this.
I read it because my dad had it kicking around the house. It was funny, but not hilarious; enjoyable, but not good enough for me to go searching for more of his
Ray Kelly
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Tom Sharpe's first book about Henry Wilt, simply called Wilt, was so funny that I was disappointed in the second saga. As usual nothing is easy in Wilt’s world, especially once it gets out that the coed is also an international terrorist. I don’t enjoy novels where the protagonist an unlikeable jerk. It’s hard to like him, although his long suffering wife Eva has a force of character that steals the show. For your own sake, read this only if you're a Sharpe fanatic.
Elis
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tenía las expectativas muy altas con este libro, pero sabía que "Wilt" iba a ser muy difícil de superar y así ha sido. Sin embargo, he vuelto a disfrutar de las desventuras de esta familia tan peculiar, de la escritura de Sharpe, de los nuevos personajes, sobre todo de las cuatrillizas; y espero que las próximas locuras de Henry y Eva se mantengan en este nivel, "¡Ánimo, Wilt!"
Enrique Matías Sánchez
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very funny book that can be easily read in one stand.

I found myself laughing out loud several times (fortunately I was at home and not in a public library).

Thanks to their weird behaviour and implausible circunstances, the characters will be immersed in ridiculous situations, very well described by Sharpe's satyrical feather.
Malena
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wilt ha ascendido en la escala social, hecho que no hace que deje de ser un incomprendido, y que le da la oportunidad, tanto a Wilt como a Tom Sharpe, de seguir sacando lo peor de la sociedad y estereotipos británicos. Igual de irónico, sincero e hilarante que Wilt, con un argumento si cabía aun más rocambolesco, garantiza la sonrisa constante del lector.
Goncalo
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: policial, humor
O humor delirante de Sharpe regressa com Henry Wilt envolvido em nova aventura.

Desta vez é a estudante que aluga o sótão da nova casa, e uma impertinente roseira, que o remetem para o mundo do terrorismo.

Como é de esperar a boa disposição impera, a paciência do inspector Flint desespera, Eva é uma chaimite, e agora há também as quadrigémeas a atazanar o nosso herói.

Um must.
Caro1
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humor absurdo con puntos realmente buenos. Las obsesiones de Eva me fascinan (guarderías progresistas, jardinería alternativa...).
Esta segunda parte me ha gustado más que la primera, aunque se echan de menos los diálogos de Wilt con sus alumnos del politécnico.
Nticipate
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm reading the WILT series because I've finished my David Lodge stack, and people said they're similar. They're not. I'd recommend Lodge to anyone who wants to have a fun time reading, anytime. This particular volume..not so much. Maybe the other 3 will change my option, I sure hope so!
David
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genial segundo libro de la saga. Siguen las peripecias de Wilt con la policía, y sus enredos. ¡Así es la cruz de que no te crea nadie cuando, por muy increíble que sea, dices la verdad!
Un poco más de protagonismo para el inspector Flint no hubiera venido nada mal. Recomendado.
Usfromdk
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first book in the series, but still a funny and entertaining read.
Pachy Tarari
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Al principio me pareció un poco engorroso, pero hacia el final casi lloro de las carcajadas!
Ligero y divertido 2 4 Jul 13, 2014 12:06PM
  • Rumpole and the Angel of Death
  • Blood and Rage: A Cultural History of Terrorism
  • The Ascent of Rum Doodle
  • Reuben, Reuben
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • Vets Might Fly
  • This Other Eden
  • Vinyl Cafe Unplugged (Vinyl Cafe, #3)
  • Flashman at the Charge (Flashman Papers, #4)
  • A Scanner Darkly [Graphic Novel]
Tom Sharpe was an English satirical author, born in London and educated at Lancing College and at Pembroke College, Cambridge. After National Service with the Royal Marines he moved to South Africa in 1951, doing social work and teaching in Natal, until deported in 1961.

His work in South Africa inspired the novels Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure. From 1963 until 1972 he was a History lectur
More about Tom Sharpe...

Wilt (7 books)
  • Wilt (Wilt, #1)
  • Wilt On High (Wilt, #3)
  • Wilt In Nowhere (Wilt, #4)
  • The Wilt Inheritance (Wilt, #5)
  • Wilt / The Wilt Alternative
  • Wilt In Triplicate (Wilt, #1, #2, #3)
“The number of choirboys indecently assaulted annually by vicars and churchwardens may lead you to suppose that England is a deeply religious country. I” 6 likes