Start by marking “Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #1)” as Want to Read:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1

(Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind #1)

In a long-ago war, humankind set off a devastating ecological disaster. Thriving industrial societies disappeared. The earth is slowly submerging beneath the expanding Sea of Corruption, an enormous toxic forest that creates mutant insects and releases a miasma of poisonous spores into the air.

At the periphery of the sea, tiny kingdoms are scattered on tiny parcels of lan
Published March 10th 2004 by VIZ Media (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1

Start your review of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #1)
Sam
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
You may be familiar with this title from watching Hayao Miyazaki's film of the same name. The film originated as a manga series, also by Miyazaki. It was released several years ago in a "Perfect Collection" of four volumes. That version wasn't actually perfect, so Viz re-released it in 2004 as a seven volume series which preserved the original format of the manga (back to front, if you don't live in Japan), as well as many other aspects of the original, including the ink color (dark brown) and s ...more
Wylz
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This review covers the entire 7 volumes of Miyazaki's Nausicaa.

Despite the silly and virtually meaningless 'description' of this book appended to the data link above, these 7 volumes are actually one of the most profound works of speculative fiction done in the 20th century. The fact that it is also a wonderful work of visual art is just icing on the cake. The whole story was 13 yrs in the writing/drawing; the film adaptation of the first volume spawned Studio Ghibli and established
Seth T.
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Nausicaä by Hayao Miyazaki

Several years back (this was maybe 2002, right before Spirited Away hit American shores) I was finally able to see Hayao Miyazaki's film Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind. I had heard a lot of good things about it both from friends who adored the bastardized American release fifteen years earlier, Warriors of the Wind, and from friends who regularly sought out Japanese fare. Weeks earlier, I was able to get ahold of a Hong Kong set of all of Miyazaki's works up to that point and was slowly working my way through
Lara Mi

Review for complete series

A thousand years have passed since modern civilization collapsed leaving most animals extinct and humans living under almost medieval conditions. The pollution of the world has raised a toxic forest which none but the giant insects can inhabit. Small kingdoms have formed where the remainder of humanity now lives and where life is filled with fear of the toxics reaching
Jerry
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I understood this volume entirely, but the artwork and action sequences were rather enthralling.
Kathryn
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I will start out by saying that you could slap a sticker printed with from Hayao Miyazaki! on any form of entertainment and I guarantee I'll enjoy it.

So I haven't seen the movie, but that will soon change as I just purchased a copy. I'll be stuffing popcorn in my mouth come next weekend.

I also just learned that this is book 1 of a 7 book series, as long as I have my volumes correct. Count on me to purchase something for the name and then not have the rest of the series on hand when I really
Nərmin
I would give the first volume 3 stars but it is Hayao Miyazaki, so 4 stars...
The main problem was the construction of texts and panels. There were so tiny pictures and letters that it was hard for me to read it. I'm reading scanlations on my phone so it is extra hard and eye-tiring.
The next problem was too much detailed drawings for small panels. Mostly I have seen that on small panels the images are not too detailed, so it was hard to follow what was going on.
Apart from that the st
Zach
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The ohmu are one of the all-time best creations in the realm of science fiction and fantasy, and Nausicaa is one of the best protagonists.

There, I said it.
Juho Pohjalainen
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've never seen the movie, and didn't even know that it was a manga - let alone by Miyazaki himself - until very recently. Finally decided to give it a read, and so far I haven't regretted the time spent on this endeavor.

It's a solid beginning for a story, with an imaginitive and wondrous setting, high stakes, several shades of moral grey, and strong characterization. All stuff we've come to expect from the author. I'll look forward to see where this goes.
Diz
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
If you've seen the movie, this first volume basically covers the first half of the movie. There aren't any big changes except for one--in the comic you actually get to see the words that the ohmu are saying. It basically gives the forrest a voice, which is an interesting difference. The art has a soft touch to it, which I really like, and the air combat is really dynamic.
Earnest
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: asian-comics
The movie Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was released during the publication of the manga. As such, it is easy to assume that the manga contains the more complete and satisfying version. Sometimes what may seem oblique in the movie becomes clear as the story progresses along to how Miyazaki envisioned it. Of course the movie is still a beautiful thing, as Miyazaki's talents are in full display in the film. The kinetic energy and dazzling visuals that he employs are doubled to that of the alr ...more
K.N.
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, 1990s

I love how much more complex and involved the manga is compared to the film. I need to get myself the entire series. This is top-tier for this genre.
Pathikrit Basu
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is for the entire 7 vol. series (and so not limited to the 1st vol. in scope)

I wish I wasn't restricted to giving just 5 stars to this cruelly ignored masterpiece.

Seldom have I been so hooked to a book and enraptured by its power, epic storytelling with a strong human touch. Not since Brave New World and Heart of Darkness (books that are considered among the best of the 20th century) have I pondered so much on the ending and the philosophical questions raised
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Jan 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
I made it 44 pages before I ran out of the steam. I appreciate the details of the artwork, Miyazaki's creativity in terms of world-building, and the way the female character is celebrated and shown as a blossoming leader. But I wasn't engaged in the storyline. I will watch the movie, but the manga isn't for me.
Matt
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was the first and only "graphic novel" I've ever read. I took my time reading the entire seven volume series in about three weeks time, and upon completing it I felt as if I had just returned home from a long journey. The artwork and storyline are both incredible...an epic masterpiece.
Petros
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Nausicaa was one of the most engaging films of my childhood. It managed to transmit a lot of messages and feelings within two hours, something that not so many movies can achieve. I knew it was based on a manga made by Miyazaki himself but for many years I didn’t bother looking into it. When I finally did, I came face to face with a work that is indeed ageless. Not something many manga can achieve as well.

For starters, anyone familiar with the movie must be warned that most of the th
Simoa
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I can hear a voice in my heart, all the time. Go forward, it tells me. So all I think of now is of going forward, as far as I am able."

I love this girl. An action packed epic with this gentle girl going bravely into battle. Kick ass heroines who lack softness or compassion are not interesting to me. Neither are their male counterparts. But Nausicaä, the Chosen One as it were, is a gentle soul. So gentle that other characters fear she might be destroyed. But does this quality diminis
Anna-Emilia
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“The greatness of a mind is determined by the depth of its suffering.”

I've seen the anime adaptation of this series when I was young but I hardly remember anything of it and I think I was just a bit too young to understand this story, it's characters and themes.

But now after being a fan of Miyazaki's work for a long time I finally reached for his beloved manga, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and guys, I am in love. And this just makes me wonder if I should pick up every book ending with 'of t
Kogiopsis
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
EDIT: Just realized this is the actual edition of the story I've been reading. Fixed.

The first time I saw the movie- years and years ago- I actually wasn't that fond of it. It was the first anime movie (the first anime anything, come to think of it) I had ever seen, and I was a little wierded out by the giant bugs and such.
After seeing a few more Miyazaki films and developing a strong and independent interest in other anime and manga, I found these graphic novels. Not too long
Sesana
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, comics, fantasy
I'll do a full review after I've read the whole series. It is kind of hard to separate my memories of the movie from the manga, especially since they (obviously) use the same art style. I had thought that I'd read this years ago, but it doesn't match my memories at all. Maybe I'd read some kind of animanga, or maybe looked at an art book, I don't know.
Kirsten
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ooh, I love how these graphic novels flesh out the movie, which is one of my favorites. The world is even deeper and more fascinating in the comics than in the film. I'm really glad that these are fairly large-format books, though, because sometimes the artwork is crammed into such small boxes that it's a little hard to follow the action.
Asami Uchiha
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't know that there was a manga for Nausicaä so this was a great discovery! I can't wait to see what happens in volume 2! I really liked how the manga goes more in depth with the world building.
Joshua
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hayao Miyazaki is probably going to to be remembered as one of the greatest enviornmental artists in history, not to mention one of the greatest anti-war artists. Each of his works manages to balance an incredible depth while also exploring the complexities of individual characters and often the consequences of "development." Human are often creatures that are wreaking havoc with the natural world, either by polluting the natural beauty of the world, discounting the biological systems in place, ...more
Jani
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first volume of the series offers much familiar to fan of Miyazaki's films: fast-paced action, whimsy and magic. However, in this science fiction story this is combined with wonderfully original dystopian world and strong political undercurrents that are discussed through a strong female protagonist (of course, nothing new to a fan of Miyazaki).

Nausicaä is a princess of a city as it is called, or rather one of the remaining human communities surviving in a post-apocalyptic world.
Jade Caprio
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been watching studio Ghibli movies since I was 5. reading this just makes me love studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki even more!! and it gives me so much more insight into the movie itself!!! LOVE
(Also it's a post-apocalyptic world! (Way post though, I think it's hundreds of years) but it's so cool! (There also so many different themes in this, ones that I think aren't appreciated enough as things that Miyazaki writes about and put in his movies)
That is a MESS but I hope I at least
Breanna
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a pro-environment manga with a bad ass female lead so I'm here for it. I plan to continue on with the series.

It's interesting that she has two strong male role models but no female role model as far as I can tell. I'm interested to find out more backstory as the series progresses.
Will
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Miyazaki is brilliant as everyone knows but it has been incredible to take in my favorite of his films in manga form. I'm amazed by the nuance that the manga allows and how very immersed I feel in Nausicaa's world. I love.
Andrew
first part of the entire compendium..of course it’s great. more to come
Paul Frandano
Three stars for the spectacular artwork and the world Miyazaki has created. But I could scarcely follow the story, which, when I finally got on track, I found insufficiently interesting to warrant going on with the series. I'm a great fan of Hiyao Miyazaki but had not seen the film, wanting to "read the book" first. I may yet see the film, but I'm done with the manga.
Mateen Mahboubi
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't love the movie but I enjoyed the first volume here. Miyazaki creates such an interesting world and takes us for a trip. Looking forward to the series.
She-Geeks: July 2016 Read: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 1 1 11 Jul 02, 2016 10:46PM

• Akira, Vol. 5
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • Planetes, Volume 1 (Planetes, #1)
  • Ode to Kirihito
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 1 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #1)
  • PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • 鉄コン筋クリート[Tekkon KinKurîto ] All in One (Tekkon Kinkreet Complete)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 1 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #1)
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1 (Saturn Apartments, #1)
  • ES: Eternal Sabbath, #1
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 1: The Assassin's Road (Lone Wolf and Cub, #1)
  • Mushishi, Vol. 7
宮崎 駿

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible ability to draw, and the seemingly-endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to A Pro with Isao

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (9 books)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #2)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 3 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #3)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 4 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #4)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 5 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #5)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 6 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #6)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 7 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #7)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Deluxe Edition 1