Start by marking “Best New Horror 16 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #16)” as Want to Read:
Best New Horror 16 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #16)

Best New Horror 16

(The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror #16)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  112 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews

This is the latest edition of the world's foremost annual showcase of horror and dark fantasy fiction. Here are some of the very best short stories and novellas by today's finest exponents of horror fictionincluding Kim Newman, Neil Gaiman, Paul McAuley, Glen Hirshberg, Ramsey Campbell and Tanith Lee. The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 16 also contains the most comprehens

Published 2005 by Robinson Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Best New Horror 16, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best New Horror 16

Shawn
(*Addendum* - was able to purchase "This Is Now" by Michael Marshall Smith from this collection for Pseudopod. The episode is here:

"This Is Now" by Michael Marshall Smith)

So, here's another one...

The "Year In..." starter continues to be both worthwhile and depressing - such a glut of mediocre material (and, seeing as it just keeps coming, such a glut of people accepting of mediocre material - oh, I know "subjectivity / objectivity", yadda, yadda, yadda...) - I guess I'm also sorry that Jones did
Greg
Sep 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a review reconstructed from mainly brief diary entries made on each of the stories as I read them in 2006. While I recall some of the stories better than others, I avoid embellishing the information extracted from my diary as my recollections are not fresh enough some eight years after reading the book to be reliable enough.

Regrettably, in a couple of cases, I only recorded that I had begun to read - or that I had read part of - a particular story. These are ‘Lilies’ by Iain Rowan and ‘
Donald
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007, shorts
This is quite a collection of thinking and writing. I have gathered some more names of writers to keep an eye out for. Neil Gaiman is included and I usually like his stuff. Michael Marshall Smith, Tim Lebbon, Poppy Z. Brite and Glen Hirshberg are a few other names. If you get this collection, thumb right to Jay Russell's Apocalypse Now, Voyager. I like journeys and this one's pretty out there...
Daniel
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a pretty pretentious title for its content. It should include the best new short stories of the horror genre, but unfortunately only a few of them are good, and only half of them are truly scary.
I guess the purpose of the book is to introduce us with the work of not-so-famous writers like Poppy Z. Brite, Christa Faust, Brian Keene and Lisa Tuttle. I was pleasantly surprised by them and equally disappointed by some well-known names such as Neil Gaiman.
The stories I liked are:
My Deat
Susan
May 01, 2018 marked it as collected  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2004
appeared in Realms of Fantasy
Persephone
Oct 11, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Nameless House of the Night of Dread Desire by Neil Gaiman --- 1 star

Lilies by Iain Rowan --- 3 stars

Breaking Up by Ramsey Campbell --- 2 stars

"The King", in: Yellow by Brian Keene --- 4 stars

A Trick of the Dark by Tina Rath --- 2 stars

The Mutable Borders of Love by Leslie What --- 2 stars

Flour White and Spindle Thin by L. H. Maynard and M. P. N. Sims --- 2 stars

Tighter by Christa Faust --- 3 stars (bondage gone wrong, or right?... lol)

Restraint by
Greg Kerestan
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume has a more diverse tone than many, with dark humor taking up a little more of the book than usual. "Forbidden Brides," "Spells for Halloween" and "The Problem of Susan" have black comedy and a sense of dark, grisly humor at their root, while Kim Newman's "Soho Golem" sits on the border between sci-fantasy and horror. Why hasn't the BBC made a Richard Jeperson and the Diogenes Club series yet? It's the role Matt Smith was born to play!
Shanna Wynne
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror writers
Shelves: top
Daniel
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
My favorite stories from this book are: "Lilies", "King,in:Yellow", "Restraint", "Israbel", "Safety Clowns", "Apocalypse Now, Voyager" and "Soho Golem". All the stories have an element of the macabre or the weird, but only a few were really scary.
bluetyson
The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 16 (Mammoth Book of Best New Horror) by Stephen Jones (2005)
Kristine
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all of the books in this series, this one is definitely in the top five.
Jasmiina F
May 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories, horror
A disappointing collection of stories. Some stories were good, but not great horror stories.
Suvi
None of the stories really stood out for me as brilliant or even great but I enjoyed reading the anthology. Contemporary horror just doesn't scare me, I really miss being spooked by mere words.
Devo
  • The Mammoth Book of Body Horror
  • The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories
  • The End of the Line
  • Dark Companions
Stephen Jones is an eighteen-time winner of the British Fantasy Award.

The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Best New Horror 1 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #1)
  • Best New Horror 2 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #2)
  • Best New Horror 3 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #3)
  • Best New Horror 4 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #4)
  • Best New Horror 5 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #5)
  • Best New Horror 6 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #6)
  • Best New Horror 7 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #7)
  • Best New Horror 8 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #8)
  • Best New Horror 9 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #9)
  • Best New Horror 10 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #10)
“In the jumbled, fragmented memories I carry from my childhood there are probably nearly as many dreams as images from waking life. I thought of one which might have been my earliest remembered nightmare. I was probably about four years old - I don't think I'd started school yet - when I woke up screaming. The image I retained of the dream, the thing which had frightened me so, was an ugly, clown-like doll made of soft red and cream-coloured rubber. When you squeezed it, bulbous eyes popped out on stalks and the mouth opened in a gaping scream. As I recall it now, it was disturbingly ugly, not really an appropriate toy for a very young child, but it had been mine when I was younger, at least until I'd bitten its nose off, at which point it had been taken away from me. At the time when I had the dream I hadn't seen it for a year or more - I don't think I consciously remembered it until its sudden looming appearance in a dream had frightened me awake.

When I told my mother about the dream, she was puzzled.

'But what's scary about that? You were never scared of that doll.'

I shook my head, meaning that the doll I'd owned - and barely remembered - had never scared me. 'But it was very scary,' I said, meaning that the reappearance of it in my dream had been terrifying.

My mother looked at me, baffled. 'But it's not scary,' she said gently. I'm sure she was trying to make me feel better, and thought this reasonable statement would help. She was absolutely amazed when it had the opposite result, and I burst into tears.

Of course she had no idea why, and of course I couldn't explain. Now I think - and of course I could be wrong - that what upset me was that I'd just realized that my mother and I were separate people. We didn't share the same dreams or nightmares. I was alone in the universe, like everybody else. In some confused way, that was what the doll had been telling me. Once it had loved me enough to let me eat its nose; now it would make me wake up screaming. ("My Death")”
10 likes
“Standing by the frozen glass, he stared down at the icy, barely lit streets running towards the river Seine, the bell-clanging local church, then to the sky like black lead. ("Israbel")” 2 likes