Start by marking “The Reckoning” as Want to Read:
The Reckoning

The Reckoning

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  367 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
In a world ruled by the fiercest warriors, Gage was the strongest--an American executing his country's darkest missions with legendary cunning and skill. Separated from the secret world he once dominated, he chose a life of exile--and only the murder of his mentor can compel him to emerge from solitude. Now his greatest battle begins when he challenges an ageless evil.
Published August 1st 2000 by Harvest House Publishers (first published September 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reckoning

Marliss
This is a difficult book to read. There is excessive violence, but the story is about a man who was trained as a killer but became a Christian when he was left for dead and a monk found him and made him well. He has to put his old training to use to stop a plot meant to take down Christianity (sounds unrealistic, but works in the book). The first time I read it I was repulsed by the violence, but the second time I saw past the violence to the redemption storyline.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
I’m confused about something
The book I read was an ebook republishing. But there are many many errors that should have been edited in 2000. It got to the point that I was questioning myself.
But the action was great even if all of the plot twists weren’t tied in a pretty bow by the end. I enjoy my espionage a bit fantastic. And this fit the bill weaving the almighty Church with the FBI and special forces to lay the smack down. I've seen some reviews complaining of the violence, but I
Paige
Jun 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great thriller espionage with twists and surprises. It's a well written study of the conflict and interplay between one's inner struggles and their relationships with the opposing realities of the world outside self.

It is sometimes shelved as a Christian novel, but doesn't at all limit itself to Christian readers. I think it's shelved that way because the Author is outwardly Christian and wanted to speak to that audience first...but the book is not obviously Christian in read, and is excellent f
Joyce
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

What a great read! This is my first James Byron Huggins novel, and I am very surprised that I somehow missed him. I can guarantee this book won’t be my last by this author.

The book has it all: action, adventure, a little romance, high-tech shoot outs, intrigue and a hero named Jonathan Gage who is conflicted and at times, unsure of himself. Gage sneaks in to visit his dying friend Simon. Simon is an elderly priest who with the assistance of a young woman, nursed Gage back to health three
Lance Brender
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
James Byron Huggins’ The Reckoning is a well-paced, action-oriented novel from the Christian publisher Harvest House. Aspiring to an epic scope, the story crosses nearly two thousand years of prophecy, international intrigue, and gripping fight scenes. At 473 pages, it is no casual read, but it is a fun and well-researched take on one view of the end-times.

The Reckoning is Huggins’ second book, released one year after his 1993 A Wolf Story, also from Harvest House. Huggins describes himself as
David Dalton
I read this book years ago and I loved it. Keep in mind this book was published 10 years or more BEFORE the Da Vinci Code by Brown. Very much action filled, but filled with well written characters. Ex-special forces intermingled with forces of good and bad. Ted Dekker wrote something similiar in Saint (Paradise, #2) by Ted Dekker.

I just found out last night that Huggins is finally releasing his books in e-format. Great! I own a hard to find (probably out of print) hardback of this thriller, but yet I plan to buy the Kindle ver
Kenneth Baird
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a good book, but although the writing of James Byron Huggins is very exciting, he continuously paints himself into a corner in which each challenge or fight has to be an even greater and more amazing physical and emotional accomplishment than the one before, and that can get to be a bit tiresome.
Miramira Endevall
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another book where the framing story lacks appeal for me, but the research is amazing. This book was responsible for beginning my fascination with Special Ops. The story is very similar to "The DaVinci Code," except Huggins did it years earlier and with out the creepy women-are-only-good-for-one-thing sex club.
Mitch
Nov 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite novels up to the point where I read Lord of the Rings. It's been a very long time now, however, and I think I should read it again. I may think differently about it now. At the time though, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was fun in a spy-novel sort of way.
Samuel
Feb 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Conspiracy Theorists
Davinci Code before there was Davinci Code. Takes a while to get into it, way too many adjectives.
Dion
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
9/10
Sandra Combs
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One oft all time favorite novels! Ive read it at least three times!
Oliver Kollmar
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!
Matt
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I had a really hard time getting interested and staying interested in this book. Nothing against it. I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Jessica Compton
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love a book that flows naturally; characters and a plot that immediately grab my attention. Before I know it, I am three to four chapters in, captivated and chomping at the bit to read as fast as I can to see what happens next. James Byron Huggins does exactly that with his writing style. His characters grab you, you relate to them and find yourself rooting for the good guys and cursing the bad guys. When Malachi is hiding in the closet, I caught myself holding my breath, anticipation giving m ...more
AnnMarie
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
An action packed thriller that fans of the DaVinci Code will enjoy. There is more violence than I would have liked to read, but the story was so interesting that I was able to look past it.
Paul Rockswold
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice intrigue. The protagonist's skill is too hard to believe and the writing emphasizes some technical details about weapons or clothing and such that don't seem to tie in well.
Neil
The Catholic Church saves the world!

I remember thinking the above the first time I read this book, and having re-read it the same thought still comes to mind. This is Huggins' second novel, and it is still a fun read nearly twenty years later.

The novel is essentially about the Catholic Church warring against those who support the Anti-Christ [who will usher in ultimate evil and the end of the age]. Obviously, this event occuring is antithetical to the Catholic Church and what the Vatican stands
Stephen Ryan
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Reckoning is Huggins’ second novel and it’s very different from A Wolf Story, his first novel. He moves from an allegorical tale of good vs. evil among the animals of the forest to a modern day (well, 1994) urban action/espionage thriller. But he still has his main strength here, a gift for propulsive, edge of your seat, intense action sequences. In this story, ex-mercenary Jonathan Gage returns from his exile in order to keep a mysterious group of super-soldiers from gaining control of an a ...more
Mikey Inglish
Much overrated, I'd say. Judging by the ratings, I thought it would be similar to Hunter, which I believe is a masterpiece. It turned out to be a far cry from my favorite by Mr Huggins and I almost regret reading it, to be honest..
Joshua Clark
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this one of the first of his novels i read
Opa
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When you want to learn how to kill a person in a knife fight in a Christian manner, this is the book. A fun read and I learned a lot about all types of weapons and the CIA.
Douglas Hayes
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A Christian novel of the more edgy sort. Sort of interesting.
Ravaena Hart
rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2017
Belen
Nov 03, 2016
Rebecca
Nov 27, 2007
  • Spree (Codename: Chandler #2)
  • The Hunted
  • WhiteSpace: Episode 1
  • PRIMAL Fury (PRIMAL #4)
  • Callsign: King (Jack Sigler) (Chess Team, #1)
  • The Tide (The Tide, #1)
  • Ghosts (John Milton #4)
  • Fast (F.A.S.T. Series, #1)
  • Reflexive Fire (Deckard, #1)
  • Fair Game (Dan Shepherd, #8)
  • MAC WALKER'S 40,000 FEET
  • The Warriors (Abby Sherman #2)
  • Bloodshot, Volume 3: Harbinger Wars
  • Strong at the Break (Caitlin Strong, #3)
  • Dead Team Alpha (Dead Team Alpha, #1)
  • Nemesis (Arisen, #8.5)
  • Maximum Violence (Arisen, #4)
  • Slaughterhouse (The Retreat #2)
A veteran novelist and best-selling author, James Byron Huggins' life story reads more like fiction than fact. His career as a writer began normally enough. He received a bachelor's degree in journalism and English from Troy State University, and then worked as a reporter for the Hartselle Enquirer in Hartselle, Alabama.

Huggins won seven awards while with the newspaper before leaving journalism i
More about James Byron Huggins

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99