Start by marking “The Chimes” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

3.15  ·  Rating details ·  5,138 Ratings  ·  778 Reviews
"The Chimes" is Charles Dickens 1844 novella that concerns the disillusionment of Toby "Trotty" Veck, a poor working-class man. When Trotty has lost his faith in Humanity and believes that his poverty is the result of his unworthiness he is visited on New Year's Eve by spirits to help restore his faith and show him that nobody is born evil, but rather that crime and povert ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1844)

To ask other readers questions about The Chimes, please sign up.

Tessa in Mid-Michigan Look it up on Amazon. You will see what it is being sold for from various retailers. I find, today, that it starts at $10.00 and has one collectible…moreLook it up on Amazon. You will see what it is being sold for from various retailers. I find, today, that it starts at $10.00 and has one collectible asking $50.00(less)

Iris P
The Chimes

A few years ago, Audible released a new audio version of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens and gave it for free to its members.

I had read the book and watched several movie adaptations of this holiday classic, but had never heard it on audio. And while I enjoyed listening, I didn’t quite click with the narrator.
Last week, I received an email from Audible offering another freebie, this time of The Chimes.

I immediately felt in love with the narrator, Richard Armitage, who I thought
The Chimes, or to give it its full title, The Chimes, a Goblin Story of Some Bells That Rang an Old Year Out and a New Year In, is the second Christmas book by Charles Dickens. It was written in 1844, a year after his phenomenally successful "A Christmas Carol", and continued the burgeoning tradition of an annual Christmas book in what he called the "Carol philosophy". He was to write five of these short novels, all of which have a strong social and moral message. He then discontinued them in fa ...more
Bill  Kerwin
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 19th-c-brit

The “chimes’ which gave Dickens the title for his second “Christmas book” were not true English bells at all; rather, this characteristically English book by our quintessentially English author was inspired by Italian bells: the cacophonous chorus of Genoese bells, drifting up toward Dickens’ villa on the hill.

Although the mention of an Italian villa may suggest wealth and comfort, that suggestion would be deceptive. Dickens took his large family to Italy because life was much cheaper there, and
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If A Christmas Carol is about making restitution after sins of commission, The Chimes is about the potential cost of sins of omission. That is what I got from this year's reading of a Dicken's holiday story. I read one every Christmas to get into the holiday spirit. (See also: The Haunted Man ).

I'm not a huge fan of Dickens, because I find reading him laborious. Yet, that is really my only gripe with him. I love the characters, settings and situations he created. I just wish he hadn't been so
If you're looking to add some "merry" to your Christmas reading you might want to look elsewhere. Dickens's delivers his holiday messages in bitter doses. Alrhough you will find his ability to create interesting stories and memorable characters intact, it's still depressing. This one's along the lines of A Christmas Carol but not as good.
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the 1840s Charles Dickens wrote five Christmas related stories that promulgated his social and moral messages of his time.

The first and still most famous and recognized, A Christmas Carol has become a staple of holidays entertainment. People worldwide are familiar with the story of Ebenezer Scrooge and how he got his groove back.

Less recognizable, but as every bit as enjoyable are the other four, The Chimes being the second, published a year after Scrooge. Toby "Trotty" Veck is a poor ticket-
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Due to my large tbr, reviews will follow in 2015, but all I can say is that there aren't enough drugs in the world that will help me to understand the second part of the story completely.^^
Story: 5 stars
Narration: 2 stars

Most of us who have read, seen, and heard A Christmas Carol are unaware as to how shocking a piece of literature it was when it was originally published. Familiarity has softened its blow to the point that the story is viewed with a jaundiced eye, its effectiveness long worn off. The Chimes is even more brutal in its portrayal of 1840s England.

The Chimes is the second of five in Charles Dickens's "Christmas Books". Written in 1844, it was published a year after A
For my review of the text of The Chimes, the second Christmas book by Charles Dickens, please link here

The beautiful monochromatic-shaded watercolour illustrations in this edition from 1912, are by Charles Green:

The book forms part of a series of the five main Christmas books by Charles Dickens, which the soap manufacturer “Pears” produced: a “Centenary Edition” to celebrate one hundred years since the author’s birth. Now, of course, more than another hundred years has passed. The Pears’ logo i
Four Quarters May Not Always Make a Whole

In the autumn of 1844 Dickens was staying in Genoa and working on a second Christmas story which was due to an agreement with his new publishers and with which he wanted to reprise the success of A Christmas Carol. For quite a long time, the prolific author was at a loss about how to begin – maybe because he was working in surroundings unwonted to him – until he finally came up with the idea of writing the story of old and poor Toby Veck, a ticket porter,
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of Dickens' three Christmas books. Like the first book in the series, "A Christmas Carol," "The Chimes" takes place during the "Hungry Forties." That would be the 1840's.

The main character, Trotty Veck, is a very poor man who works as a ticket porter on the streets of London. He adores his daughter Meg who is on the verge of marrying her love named Richard. Meg and Richard are going to get married on New Year's Day.

Trotty loves the church chimes and he and Meg feel the chimes
Colleen Houck
Such lovely writing. It's almost unapproachable. Charles Dickens definitely has a recognizable style. This book invoked Christmas and second chances. Love it.
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Mini)Review now posted!

I know that Dickens has other Christmas stories besides A Christmas Carol, but I have never read any of his other offerings. That is, until this year. After looking at his other seasonal offerings, I settled on The Chimes, his New Year story. Man, was this sad. And dark. But thankfully it had a happy ending, which made reading it worthwhile.

Would the world be better without you in it? We’ve seen stories broach this topic numerous times, most famously in the quintessential
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
This holiday classic is reminiscent of A Christmas Carol in its approach. After reading the Wikipedia article on it, I found the following statement particularly poignant, summarizing what the book says we ought not to do : "Harking back to a golden age that never was, instead of striving to improve conditions here and now." A crime of which, I think, we all are guilty.
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: porters, poor couples engaged to be married, pompous aldermen
This is one of Dickens' less sentimental Christmas stories. It still has all the morality and heartfelt moral delivery of A Christmas Carol, but it's a darker, gloomier tale that addresses more directly the desperate fate of the poor whom Dickens wrote about most often.

They were old Chimes, trust me. Centuries ago, these Bells had been baptized by bishops: so many centuries ago, that the register of their baptism was lost long, long before the memory of man, and no one knew their names. They had
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A follow up of A Christmas Carol, but not nearly as well known. while the protagonist of A Christmas Carol is a wealthy employer who despises the poor, the protagonist of this novel is one of the poor himself, lowly porter Trotty, who sadly has been infused with feeling of low self-worth with which he views the working class as a whole.
His daughter Meg is engaged to married to Richard, and while he has misgivings Trotty hides them ,but then three pompous, judgemental upper class figures visit an
Richard Armitage is a delightful narrator but I found this a struggle to get through.

I was happy to receive this audio story from Audible as their annual Christmas gift to listeners. I am only moderately familiar with the list of Charles Dickens' works so wasn't aware that he wrote a handful of stories for Christmas about the time he wrote A Christmas Carol. So, with a curiosity for another Christmas story from Dickens and of course to hear Richard Armitage narrate, I was pleased to tune in.

The story is a novella and is all told from the perspective of old Toby the porter for on
Wart Hill
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, audio
What is it with Dickens, Christmas, and Ghosts?

and what is it with GR and shitty changes?

important questions, friends. very important.
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading can be such a mystical experience. Sometimes plain mystifying – for me at any rate.

I gathered that Christmas was approaching and I thought: Dickens! No more, no less. I didn’t however think that this fantasy novella would shed further light on what I’d previously been reading – ie Engels, why the time was ripe for him and Marx. Here Dickens tells me why, in no uncertain terms. Grinding, hopeless poverty meets middle class cant, handsomely oiled by the established church to keep the poor
Sort of a Christmas story, sort of a ghost story and sort of a parable.
Does not have the impact of A Christmas Carol, but I did like the characters of Toby and Meg and found the story sweet and typically Dickensian.
Pamela Mclaren
Another delightful Christmas story from the master of storytelling. The Chimes, the second in
Holiday tale following The Christmas Carol tells the tale of an elderly ticket-porter/messenger who is filled with gloom when he is told by an alderman that the working classes are simply wicked by nature. The encounter with the alderman is such that it frightens even Trotty's daughter and her fiancé, who have announced that they are going to be married on New Years Day.

(This was where I got quite mad a
Ruby Granger
Dickens is a favourite and so I had high hopes when I picked this up. There are many philosophical and even existential questions explored in this texts -- more so than can be seen in 'Great Expectations', 'A Christmas Carol' and 'Oliver Twist' -- and there is a large emphasis on the reader in relation to our protagonist (Toby). I do recommend this!
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Not much for me to say about this one. Audible gives their members a freebie at Christmas time and this was it for 2015. It just wasn't for me, I don't think the narrator helped as he just wasn't my cup of tea.
I'd do better reading rather than listening to Dickens. The Victoriam speech can be challenging. Very Dickens with extremes of utter poverty contrasted with the relative prosperity of the middle class.
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Бедным, но хорошим людям холодно и голодно, потом совсем плохо, а потом хорошо. Рождественский такой мистер Диккенс.
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
There were some extremely beautiful passages in this work, but I didn't connect with the characters that well and was a bit confused by the catalyst of the story.
Dec 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dickens
I listened to 89% of this, and I am sorry RA, but even your wonderful voice does not make this good down. Dickens, my dear, our love-hate relationship continues.
Ana Rînceanu
This was a not bleaker than A Christmas Carol, but it had a less memorable main character (it's hard to top Ebenezer Scrooge). But you know what "The Chimes" does have?!

Richard Armitage. Enough said. His voice makes it all right in the end.

Tom Brennan
I think this is an excellent companion to A Christmas Carol, which makes sense because it was the next Christmas novella Dickens wrote following that classic tale. The two stories share Dickens' major themes - the welfare of the poor and destitute, and society's apathy toward their plight (or, in the case of The Chimes, the upper class members of society consider themselves great friends of the poor, when they clearly are not). Toby "Trotty" Veck's travels (Dickens always comes up with awesome n ...more
  • Locke & Key
  • A Lodging for the Night
  • Old Christmas: From the Sketch Book
  • A Walk in the Night and Other Stories
  • The Sphinx Without a Secret
  • METAtropolis: Cascadia
  • Psychosis: Tales of Horror
  • Goodnight and God Bless: On Life, Literature, and a Few Other Things, with Footnotes, Quotes, and Other Such Literary Diversions
  • The Great Tennessee Monkey Trial
  • The Christmas Angel
  • The Moorland Cottage and Other Stories
  • Christmas Eve, 1914
  • The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • Plays Unpleasant
  • El corazón delator y otros cuentos
  • The Bride of Lammermoor
  • Long Way Home
  • The Playground
Charles John Huffam Dickens (7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870) was an English writer and social critic. He created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime, and by the twentieth century critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and sho ...more
More about Charles Dickens...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“A new heart for a New Year, always!” 31 likes
“So may the New Year be a happy one to you, happy to many more whose happiness depends on you!” 21 likes