Start by marking “Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)” as Want to Read:
Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)

Evan's Gate

(Constable Evans #8)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,356 ratings  ·  70 reviews
When Constable Evan Evans discovers a beautiful shepherd's cottage in the mountains of Llanfair, Wales, he and his fiancée are thrilled. It's only months before their wedding, and they are eager to begin their new life together.

The cottage is in need of renovation, so Evan wastes no time before he begins making much-needed repairs." "It turns out, though, that Evan's
Published April 5th 2005 by Berkley (first published April 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Evan's Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evan's Gate

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
Avid Series Reader
Evan's Gate by Rhys Bowen is book 6 of the Constable Evan Evans mystery series set in a fictitious small mountain village in contemporary North Wales. Evan is finally a plain-clothes detective. He's proud to achieved his dream, yet disgruntled that he can no longer count on having time off. When a crime requires investigation, he's called on to the case, regardless of his personal plans.

A date with Bronwen is pre-empted by an investigation for a missing girl; Bronwen copes well (an absolute
Mary
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fun book. A little blonde girl goes missing, and Detective Constable Evans is on the case, now as a Detective!
Carol
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it.
Dharia Scarab
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it

George
Jul 14, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British Mystery Readers
Now Detective Constable Evan Evans, North Wales, he is no longer the local policeman for Llanfair, so he is a plain clothesman. The story involves the disappearance of a 5 year old from a beach caravan park and, as Evans works on the case, it takes him back 25 years to the disappearance of another 5 year old who Evans knew. The story revolves around solving the two disappearances.

With Evans no longer the "village bobby," there is less of the Llanfair locals from earlier novels which reduces the
Joanna
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good story, however I prefer Ms. Bowen's Royal Spyness ad Molly Murphy series.
Marty
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
A better than average mystery with little blood. The Constable Evans mysteries are set in Wales and peppered with information about the land and culture. There is a page with Welsh vocabulary words explained to help with the common words used in the story. This story kept me guessing.. and what I did guess, was wrong. Two little girls, both with long blonde hair went missing – 25 years apart. The family of the first little girl to go missing came back to the area to celebrate their grandfather’s ...more
Kay
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A friend suggested I read the Evan Evans series since I love Hamish Macbeth so much, but she warned Evans is not as "good" as the Hamish series. This is my first and I will read more. Set in Wales rather than northwest Scotland, the atmosphere is worth the read but the plot is more plodding police procedural than colorful bits of eccentric people getting into and out of trouble. It's hard to remember the story or scenes from it, never a problem with Hamish. But, again, worth a rainy Saturday ...more
Kate
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable and intriguing Evan Evans Welsh mystery...not too deep, but well written and interesting side plots and culturally charming. I find these books a nice easy but enjoyable read.. lots of twists and turns in this one, but the ending was a bit disappointing and the little girl was rather sadly dismissed,
Pamela Haley
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kathy Davie
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Eighth in the Constable Evans mystery series set in Wales and revolving around a bright young policeman lacking the time to hike as much as he was used to.

My Take
I do so enjoy this series. Bowen has created a small cast of colorful characters whose lives move forward and every once in awhile, they look back as Evan does in this installment. This particular story revolves around two young 5-year-old-ish girls. One went missing 25 years ago; the other a few hours ago.

There is an introspective
Debbie O'Mahony
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. A cozy read with a good plot. Reminiscent of the Hamish McBeth series, but set in the Welsh countryside.
As this is the 8th in the series, I will definitely read more of the Constable Evans books.
Wayne
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Volume eight in a ten volume series. This is the best in the series yet. The mystery was extremely engaging and the backstory was excellently finalized. I highly recommend this book. I will be sad when I finish up the series but I know I will reread it in the future.
Helen-Louise
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Enjoyable. The very ending [Constable Evans' thoughts on the incident in his childhood that is central to the story] is quite a twist. Definitely a "cozy", but more realistic that Bowen's other series [which I also enjoy], "Her Spyness."
Julie
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. This was one of the best episodes, I feel. I particularly liked the way two storylines about two missing children, twenty five years apart, were woven together. A different take on the tried and true formula!

On to the next....I will be sorry to reach the end....
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a very quick read. It was okay.
Ruth
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always liked the character of Constable Evans so thought it might be fun to return to some of these books.
Jan
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-on-kindle
Another very good book in this series.
Nancy Haddock
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think I say the same thing over and over - these are wonderful books! I'm just about to finish the series, and I'll be sorry for that.
Michele
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A family reunion, the discovery of a young girls skeleton...who happens to be the missing daughter of the newly reunited family....and another missing girl...all rolled into one great read.
Mary Lou
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Becoming formulaic, but still entertaining.
Bonnie
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Evan's Gate is the eighth in the Constable Evans Mystery series by Rhys Bowen, and it is the best so far. The setting is Llanfair, Wales for all the stories and the reader feels as if they too can visit the Red Dragon pub, hike the Snowdon Horseshoe mountains, and watch as the two churches that sit across from each other try to outdo each other by posting contrasting religious scriptures on their signs. Evan Evans is the local constable and local residents are know by their first name and trade ...more
John Jenkins
Rhys Bowen’s “Evan’s Gate” is a captivating mystery involving two missing child cases that confront Detective Constable Evan Evans in and around Llanfair, Wales. One of the cases is current and the other missing person was a childhood friend of Evan’s who disappeared when they were both children. Reading that the hiking skills of Constable Evans are involved in the resolution of both mysteries helped to stimulate my interest in the plot.

The writing is mostly good. The author makes effective use
Ed
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
#8 in the Constable Evan Evans series. Finalist 2005 Edgar Award for Best Mystery Novel. A lesser entry in the series as Evan spends quite a bit of time with his neighboring children of twenty five years ago, in flashbacks of their games and currently as they have returned for the 80th birthday of their grandfather.

Evan Evans series - When Constable Evans discovers an available shepherd’s cottage in the mountains of Llanfair, he and his fiancée are thrilled. It’s only months before their wedding
Hal
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A I near the end of the Constable Evans series, I grow sad. I have developed an affection for Evan and his fellow villagers. In general, I find Ms Bowen has a terrific aptitude for plotting, although she too often resorts to unlikely coincidences. She tosses in just enough false "clues" to keep things interesting.

When I first started reading cozies last fall, I was critical of the paucity of literary merit. Now, however, I realize that criticizing novels in this escapist genre for not being
D. Eric
Oct 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Up until the ending of "Evan's Gate," the story seemed to have jumped from the somewhat lighthearted-murder mystery (if murder can be lighthearted) into the more serious, grown-up type of mystery.

This time it deals with child abduction and a 25 year-old missing-child case as well. For better or worse, the solution pulls the series back to its accustomed level. Some readers will wish it had moved beyond the previous level and into serious mystery, while others, I am sure, are happy to keep it on
Roland Clarke
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although I plunged straight into the Constable Evans Mystery series with this eighth book in the series, I was pulled straight in. Constable Evans, who had joined the plainclothes division by this point. Was so well portrayed by Rhys Bowen that I could visualize him, as well as the North Wales setting.

I have to admit that I picked up the book, because it started with a five-year-old girl vanishing from a caravan park in Porthmadog – just across the estuary from where I live, in North Wales. But
Marilyn
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A child has disappeared in Lanfair Wales. As Evan works on a ditch at the new cottage he and Bronwen look forward to inhabiting after their wedding, he strikes what he thinks is a rock, but turns out to be a bone! As he explores further he finds more bones and a small shoe! Horrified, he remembers another little girl who disappeared 25 years ago. Sarah was a summer visitor to the area in those days - a little girl a year younger than himself whom he played with when she was around. As Evan ...more
Nell
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent mystery. The disappearance of a young girl brings up a similar disappearance twenty five years earlier, a childhood friend of Detective Constable Evans. That case remains unsolved. It just happens that the family is back in the area for the first time in 25 years when the second disappearance takes place. Evans and his supervisor, DCI Watkins take this case personally for different reasons. Is the past repeating itself or are the two cases unrelated? Bowen does a fine job as the police ...more
Norma Huss
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Another of an excellent series, but hard to find. In this one, Constable Evan Evans of Wales is taken back to his childhood when visitors arrive that he remember. A playmate disappeared back then, and the mystery is revisited. Many twists and turns coupled with Evan's attempts to get a cottage ready to bring a bride into. There are complications that include a skeleton.

Who doesn't love a town where, with so many named the same thing, he's Evan the law, and others are differentiated by their
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mydworth Mysteries - A Little Night Murder (A Cosy Historical Mystery Series Book 2)
  • A Dagger Before Me (Dorothy Martin, #21)
  • Death in an Elegant City (Murder on Location #4)
  • Death in Focus (Elena Standish #1)
  • Death in a Stately Home (Murder on Location #3)
  • Death of an Honest Man (Hamish Macbeth #33)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • Deadly Fashion (Deadly #3)
  • Murder in the Shallows (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #6)
  • Murder Among the Roses (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #5)
  • Triple Jeopardy (Daniel Pitt #2)
  • The Death of Irish Nell: A Detective Lavender Short Story (The Detective Lavender Mysteries)
  • Murder at the Folly (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #3)
  • Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • Staying Home is a Killer (A Mom Zone Mystery, #2)
  • Lady Rample and the Mysterious Mr. Singh (Lady Rample Mysteries Book 7)
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I have recently published two internationally bestselling WWII novels, one of them a #1 Kindle bestseller, the other selling almost half a million copies to date.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)