Start by marking “Influenza 1918: The Worst Epidemic in American History (The American Experience)” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This is the Powerful Historical Account of the Worst season of death in American history. Just as American troops were claiming victory in Europe during World War I, a silent killer spread across America and the world. Assumed by physicians to be a bacteria, the killer was in fact a culprit that medicine had not yet discovered: a virus. Unable to fight it, the whitecoated ...more
Published November 1st 2000 by TV Books

To ask other readers questions about Influenza 1918, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Influenza 1918

AllTheMarbles
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
My great-uncle died of Spanish flu in 1918 in a teeny town in Utah. He was in his 20s and it always seemed odd to me that he died of the flu, of all things. This book explained so much to me about Spanish flu and how it was different from other influenzas (killing young, healthy people). It was frightening to watch the epidemic unfold in this book because everyone seemed powerless to contain it, and the government was more concerned about raising money and men for the war than about the scope of ...more
Bayneeta
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Read for my DLS NF RA SIG. The book is oddly repetitive but still interesting, and a pretty fast read. "In four years, three months, and five days, World War I claimed some ten million lives. In ten months, Spanish influenza killed between twenty-one and forty million people." A staggering number of people died world-wide and a vast number were ill with this deadly strain of influenza. A major impact on many, many lives but not much acknowledged or remembered. Interesting in light of recent Swin ...more
Steve
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of the more interesting books that I have read recently. I had no idea that the 1918 Spanish Influenza pandemic was as horrifying as it was, and I am left wondering WHY the Black Death receives so much more attention from scholars, documentary filmmakers, and etc.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in American (or world) history. The author writes with a narrative style, using lots of first-person accounts, and so it is very accessible.
Dale
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
I wanted this book to be much more informative than it actually was. Too much rehashed information. Death, dying, blah, blah, blah. I skimmed the last 100 pages. I wanted more, because this subject is fascinating to me, especially when you think about the pandemic flu that will happen in the hopefully not too near future.
Rebecca
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Something must be sick about me, I just love books about epidemics. It's amazing how a germ can change the course of the world and how it went to every corner of the earth in these times. This epidemic killed more people than the war raging at the same time, yet is talked about a lot less. But we have family stories on both sides about its effects.
Djrmel
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
After reading this, bird flu jokes aren't quite so funny any more. This was a fascinating book about something that's rarely talked about in US History classes, partially because it took place during WWI, and partially because people were so frightened by it, that when it was over, they barely spoke about it.
Rogue Reader
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medicine
I was aware of the devastation but not of the extent, 10%-20% mortality at the beginning and reaching 40%-50% in some circumstances. Horrifying contrast of the war effort in the face of disease, and of Wilson's insistence on sending troop ships to Europe, with so many dying of the flu in transit.
Anne
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Interesting in the beginning, but extremely repetitive. Just story after story about sick people. Not much bigger context or aftermath/impact about it. Just sick and dying sick and dying sick and dying over and over. Skimmed the second half.
Wade
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
a very good read and very humbling. A nice Ken Burns esque review of the horror of the fall of 1918.
Tobiah
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
My first history of medicine book (8 years ago)and I was hooked. It does a good job of explaining things for the layman.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The worst epidemic in American history
Dee
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent. Review coming soon on www.livritome.com.
Mary Beth
Feb 08, 2014
Groovy
Jun 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Dread: How Fear and Fantasy Have Fueled Epidemics from the Black Death to the Avian Flu
  • Man and Microbes: Disease and Plagues in History and Modern Times
  • America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918
  • Inside the Outbreaks: The Elite Medical Detectives of the Epidemic Intelligence Service
  • Stonewall: The Riots That Sparked the Gay Revolution
  • Liberty or Death: India's Journey to Independence and Division
  • Believe and It Is True: A Story of Healing and Life Lessons
  • Great Storms of the Chesapeake
  • Teen Life: Everything a Teenager Should Know to Survive the Teen Years
  • Serious Eats: A Comprehensive Guide to Making and Eating Delicious Food Wherever You Are
  • Write Right!: A Desktop Digest of Punctuation, Grammar, and Style, 4th Edition

Nonfiction Deals

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis