Start by marking “Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman, #1)” as Want to Read:
Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman, #1)

Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  205 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Thirty thousand years ago, in the heart of the African continent and in the shadow of the largest freestanding mountain in the world, lived the Ibandi. For countless generations they nurtured their ancient tradition, and met survival’s daily struggle with quiet faith in their gods. But when brutal intruders arrived from the south, a few brave souls dared the ultimate quest ...more
Published June 27th 2006 by One World/Ballantine (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Great Sky Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Sky Woman

Carly
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
**edited 12/08/13

Great Sky Woman not only manages to completely avoid condescension and anachronism, but goes on to immerse its reader deep into the detailed world and complex culture that it creates.

...And that's all I'm going to post here. The rest of my (rather verbose) review is posted over here at Booklikes.

Why? Because I disapprove of GoodReads' new policy of censorship, I will no longer post full reviews here.
Iset

Whilst I found myself ultimately disappointed by Jean Auel’s Earth’s Children series, it has set me off on a quest for good Palaeolithic fiction. I’ve read a little of Steven Barnes before, some of his sci-fi, so I went for this book at least already knowing the quality of writing I’d be getting, if not the actual story. My feelings upon finishing it are that I like it, but I don’t love it.

One of the high points has to be Barnes’ description of the environment in which the characters are moving.
Nea
This book was amazing. Wonderfully unpredictable and engrossing, It had a little bit of everything: love, tribal conflict, coming of age, ancient spirituality, betrayal, ambition, joy, strife. I found myself not wanting to put it down at bedtime, and that's always a good sign.

The author did a wonderful job of taking me deep into the fantasy of a lifetime so long ago. I found myself completely vested in the experience, egging on certain characters while screaming (inside) at others. There was so
Jessica Snyder
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
(My amazon.com review)

"If you like Auel, you'll love Barnes"
I found this book mentioned in a review of one of the books from Jean M. Auel's Earth's Children series. I can't remember which book, or which reviewer, but I wish I could, to send a hearty "Thank You!" If you like the prehistoric genre that Auel basically started, but you'd like to read something less mind-numbingly repetitive, with more attention paid to plot and character than to textbook descriptions of flora, fauna, and geological
Beth
Dec 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adult Fiction Readers
Shelves: brain-candy, scifi
I've gone through this book like a hot knife through butter. It's an excellent, fast read with well drawn characters. I'm really enjoying it! The fact that the author is an African American scifi writer is also a plus--there are very few of them. This is one of the best and most entertaining books I have read in a very long time.
Jerome
Jul 31, 2010 rated it liked it
What I liked most were the details of the physical environment, the appropriateness of the names and how each one had a place in the story, the use of the herbs and plants, and the growth and development of the main characters.
Tananarive Due
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Set 30,000 years ago, this is a magical coming-of-age journey set at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Pilouetta
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Pilouetta by: elisa
i enjoyed barnes' exploration of a culture more primitive, though it is clear that he is using the practices of actual and extinct tribal peoples. he sets this type of culture in a narrative of superstition, mystical power, and fantasy. barnes is an acute historian, wonderful storyteller, but most importantly, he writes interesting characters, so that even though fantasy writing isn't my main read, i can help but read it voraciously when the author is staven barnes.
Erin M.
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This I found very entertaining. I chewed through this book over two days, and just couldn't put it down!

The author had an excellent understanding of his setting and characters, and must have done an admirable amount of research to create a story this convincing. I particularly enjoyed his portrayal of the spiritual aspects of the people and the meanderings of their daily lives.
MeiLin Miranda
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely believable and written in a crisp, immediate style that places the reader in the shadow of Mount Kilimanjaro and the footsteps of all our ancestors, I cannot recommend this highly enough. Terrific. Simply terrific.
  • The Gathering Night
  • Ancestor Stones
  • Song of the Axe
  • Dance of the Tiger: A Novel of the Ice Age
  • The Children of First Man
  • Mark of the Lion (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #1)
  • The Healers
  • Circles of Stone (Mother People, #1)
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • The Stone Arrow (The Pagans Trilogy, #1)
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
  • Of Spirits and Madness: An American Psychiatrist in Africa
  • Bring Down the Sun (Alexander the Great, #2)
  • Daughter of Kura: A Novel
  • Picture Maker
  • The Masque of Africa: Glimpses of African Belief
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • The Year the Horses Came (Earthsong #1)
20058
Steven Barnes (born March 1, 1952, Los Angeles, California) is an African American science fiction writer, lecturer, creative consultant, and human performance technician. He has written several episodes of The Outer Limits and Baywatch, as well as the Stargate SG-1 episode "Brief Candle" and the Andromeda episode "The Sum of its Parts". Barnes' first published piece of fiction, the novelette The ...more
More about Steven Barnes...

Great Sky Woman (2 books)
  • Shadow Valley