Start by marking “Ghosts (Usborne True Stories)” as Want to Read:
Ghosts (Usborne True Stories)

Ghosts (Usborne True Stories)

Is there really such a thing as a true ghost story? The strange tales in this book are all based on actual reports by people who believed they had been haunted by ghosts or poltergeists. You can make up your own mind after reading their stories ...

The vengeful voodoo phantom --
The Cock Lane killing --
Writing on the wall --
The house of strange happenings --
Faces on the floo
Published June 1st 2008 by Usborne Books (first published 2002)

Start your review of Ghosts (Usborne True Stories)
Katie Kerns
This book was pretty good. A lot of unsolved mysteries and a few creepy tales that were unexplainable. I wouldn't recommend reading at night if you're a scaredy cat like me!
C.
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The spirit exists and I love enchanting and educational presentations of them. One does wonder if accounts are verified. I agree with those who praise Paul Dowswell's "Usborne True Stories, Ghosts" as the real deal. No dumping story scraps which abruptly end with a hyped climax: we are granted the satisfying afterward of each location's state of affairs today. In numerous instances, we are told where we might go forth and behold these houses and in some cases, the phenomena, for ourselves! That ...more
Anne
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of 12 stories from all over the world from the 1600’s to the 1970’s, a good portion of them are UK based. All were stories that I had never heard of and I found the book to be of great interest, giving witness accounts long ago recorded that have been found in archives and newspapers of the time.

The one thing I found was a common thread in the connection in the book is the “ghosts’ continued attachment to teenagers or young woman which they say is due to their high energy le
Tucker
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a wonderful book. it had twelve ghost stories that were very interesting and some of them were kind of freaky. it has stories of haunted houses talking about killings and floating objects to stories about the winchestor house where sarah winchestor built and built onto her house that once had 7 story turrets. if you are a person that likes to read ghost stories then this is a book for you. i give it a ten out of ten!
Jiva Cern
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter always wanted me to read on to the next ghost story, which is a mark of an entertaining book. After we finished reading, it was always important for us to Google our favorite stories to find them debunked, or see any spooky old images which might be floating about regarding the original material. These were well-crafted retellings, suspenseful little chapters, which allowed my daughter and I creep ourselves out.
Susan Wahlborg
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than I thought it was going to be. Found this on a shelf in the Young Adult section of Goodwill. I'm in my 30's and I was worried this book wasn't going to be too spooky. Nope it was spooky and full of lots of history. Glad that I bought it.
Wilde Sky
A series of accounts of 'ghostly' encounters.

A couple of the pieces were interesting, but overall this book was a bit dull.

Reading time around one hour.
Dana Decker
I liked a few and didn't like a few of the stories which is normally the case in a book compiled of short stories. It was an interesting read. Not really scary but a quick fun read.
Alexis Hilgert
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really cute book of ghost stories!
Hanna
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Viihdyttävä ja mielenkiintoinen kirja.

Kirjassa väitettiin monen tapahtumapaikan ja -talon olevan edelleen pystyssä (enemmän tai vähemmän) ja auki yleisöllekin. Tekisi kyllä kovasti mieli käydä katsomassa niitä itse. Harmi vain kun suurin osa on juurikin Amerikoissa.

Onhan nuo kummitustarinat aina jänniä ja outoja. Joistakin on tehty isoja tutkimuksiakin ja silti jotkut ovat jääneet mysteereiksi. Itse suhtaudun aika skeptisesti moniin asioihin mutta uskon silti, että yliluonnollisia asioita tapaht
Joey Ellis
True Ghost Stories is exactly what you’d expect... a collection of “true” ghost stories. As a fan of ghost stories, I found this collection to be well-written, albeit a bit uneven. Some stories had much longer conclusions from the authors than others, and only a few included some visual reference (a diagram of the house for example) that no other story did. I would have liked more conclusion input from the authors, as their determination on how “true” each story was would have been interesting, ...more
Evan Ponstingle
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
The only thing I did not like about this book was the several errors in the chapter about Rose Hall. Annie Palmer killed John Rose Palmer by pouring arsenic in his coffee, not by smothering him by his pillow. And he was murdered in 1827, seven years after Annie moved in, not a few months after the marriage. Annie herself was murdered in 1831, not 1833. She was strangled to death in her sleep, not smothered while still awake. Other than that, the book was pretty good.
Layla Ashby
Some really good stories in this book, and non that I had read before in other true ghost books.
well worth a read if you enjoy these types of books there are 12 separate stories in this book.
Stories ranging from the UK across to the USA. A nice selection of different stories. If you want this book I got it in the Children's section of my local library so it is for young readers too.
Isaac
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
True Ghost Stories
Dowswell, Paul
a little bland on the stories
Karissa
Interesting...not too scary. Not sure I believe them are true.
Tumaituhipa
Jun 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i thought this book wasnt that good because it was to scary and is more appropriate for colledge people
Lanie
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok but still good
Sara
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal

It was ok more based for young teenagers though.
Catherine
Sep 15, 2017
Judy Rochester
May 14, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Blood and Sand (Midnight Library, #2)
  • Mister Monday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #1)
  • Shut Your Mouth (The Midnight Library, #6)
  • Raven's Gate (Power of Five, #1)
  • The Goat, or Who is Sylvia?
  • The Quickie
  • Best True Ghost Stories
  • Legado en los huesos (Trilogía del Baztán, #2)
  • DEMETER. Cuaderno de bitácora
  • Hoy es siempre todavía
  • Moonwise
  • The High House (Evenmere #1)
  • The Debut
  • Despertares Atroces
  • Despertares atroces 2
  • Il-Għar Tax-Xelter
  • Kaópolis (Mysterion, #1)
  • El guardián invisible (Trilogía del Baztán, #1)
Paul Dowswell is a British writer of nonfiction and young adult novels who has written over 70 books for British publishers. He was a senior editor at Usborne Publishing, then went freelance in 1999.

News & Interviews