Start by marking “JESUS THE CHRIST [Illustrated]” as Want to Read:
JESUS THE CHRIST [Illustrated]

JESUS THE CHRIST [Illustrated]

4.62  ·  Rating details ·  20,153 ratings  ·  1,136 reviews
*Specially formatted for the Kindle platform
*Easy to read footnotes
*Color illustrations
*Chapter icons

A Study of the Messiah and His Mission according to Holy Scriptures both Ancient and Modern
by James E. Talmage
One of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
1922

The scope of the subject presented in this work is expressed on the title page. It
Published (first published 1915)

To ask other readers questions about JESUS THE CHRIST [Illustrated], please sign up.
Alicia Marie Yes :) Mostly the New Testament but it is really cool how it shows His influence in the Old Testament as well. It makes really good ties to doctrine.…moreYes :) Mostly the New Testament but it is really cool how it shows His influence in the Old Testament as well. It makes really good ties to doctrine. I loved it.(less)
Veronica Davis Hi Dakota :)

Good question!!

Hi Dakota :)

Good question!!

Either one is correct. Everyone knows what you're talking about either way, but Christ is not Jesus's last name so Jesus the Christ is more correct.

That would be like using someone's job or profession and using it as their last name. If Isaac was a fisherman his whole life his name would not be Isaac Fisherman, it would be Isaac Shrout although people may call him Isaac the Fisherman.

Either way everyone knows what you're talking about.(less)

·  20,153 ratings  ·  1,136 reviews

Josh
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any LDS member and any one wanting to deeply understand the LDS ideology of Jesus the Christ.
Recommended to Josh by: My Father
Jesus the Christ is based on the doctrines, ideology and tenets of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), or the Mormons. It is a critical study and biography of the life of Christ from his pre-mortal existence, through his continuing mortal ministry, and into his role at the end of days.

This book is like the Book of Mormon, another testament that the LDS church is a Christ-based, Christian church. If in doubt, seek it out, and decide for yourself. Parts may be unfamiliar to mai
Karey
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend from a faith other than my own gave me this book in 1983 before I left to do volunteer service. Jesus the Christ is the most complete compendium (that I know of) of the life and teachings of Jesus Christ found in the New Testament. John the Baptist, Herod Antipus, and virtually any subject you would want to study about New Testament subjects is found in this marvelous book.
Rebecca Adams
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely wonderful. It took me seven months to finish Jesus the Christ, but I almost wish that it had taken longer… it’s been a very spiritual experience listening to this book everyday, and I’m going to miss it.

I’m not going to list for you the multiple fascinating things that I learned about Jesus Christ… it would take too long, and honestly, it’s just something you have to experience for yourself. I’m nowhere near eloquent enough to do it justice.

Suffice to say, besides gaining a greater
Lisa
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my currently reading shelf for 6 1/2 years. I read it on Sundays for quite a few months but ended up not having enough grit to stick with the book and got distracted and put it down. I still could not take it off my currently reading shelf because it was too heartbreaking for me to take it down even though I could go years between picking it up.

On a wonderful challenge from a girlfriend, I became reacquainted with this book, quite a few months ago. This time I decided to l
Shiloah
This is a classic I will read again and again. The insights I gleaned about Christ will be forever in my heart and mind. I’m so glad I finished just before Easter as it made my celebration of Holy Week that much more centered on Christ and with a deeper understanding of Him.
Tami
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I initially started reading this for a project in college, but never got past chapter 5. I am so glad I finally completed my challenge to myself years ago to read this!

While the language takes a bit getting used to (maybe not for others, but for me), I really enjoyed the in-depth study of the Savior's life and His experiences and teachings in the New Testament. The scripture "feast on the words of Christ" really came to mind as I thirsted and feasted on these chapters every morning. I also think
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. I learned so much. I can see that I will want to re-read this again in the future because there is so much great information but I couldn't retain it all! I was always intimidated by this book and have heard (and even still having read it) people say, Oh, that is some deep stuff, hard to get through. If I can read it and gleen so much from it, anyone can! The first bit is hard and a little confusing and I can see how people will give up, but keep going and you really le ...more
Arthur
Feb 17, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rather than write an in depth review of Jesus the Christ, I’ll just explain why I only gave it one star not five.

First, I’m a little picky about the books that I read and because I’m useually reading at least six at once I tend to not complete the ones that I wouldn’t reccomend. In my ratings one star means that if you are thinking about reading it then go a head I think that’s a fine idea, but if you are coming to me for recomendations I’ve got other priorities for your reading list.

This is th
John
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for the first time on my mission--and just in time, because even though I had studied the gospels in Seminary, this book lays out so clearly the complete life and ministry of the Savior.

The best part is the footnotes--just knowing the little details makes the life of the Savior that much more real and close, like you were there. So many things about Nazareth and Judea sounded like Paraguay to me that on a long walk through strange places (15 miles a day sometimes) I could look aroun
Teresa
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never been able to gain such a deep understanding of the New Testament as I have viewing it through the eyes of this great prophet. Jesus Christ's mortal experiences have been brought to life for me. I reverence my Savior even more and understand more of His divinity.
Anita
Seldom do I take a year to read a book. In this case, I am glad I did. As part of a study group we undertook a chapter a week to read, study, and discuss; I would recommend this to everyone attempting a serious study of the book. It is not a read cover-to-cover type book. It would be more correctly classified as a textbook, meant to be taken in in small doses, contemplated, and then moving on.
Yes, his vocabulary is challenging. His sentences are long, complex, and semi-colon ridden (and correct
Von Sowards
This has to be one of the most complex and wordy book I have ever read. In order to finish this book I had to listen to the audio narration while reading the printed text, stopping several times to re-read a passage of to simply ponder the beauty and devinity of the life of our savior. Talmage in his strong scriptural experience was able to point out simple passages that tied into so many other things. It was amazing.

This book is very properly named because ever word in it is not just a testimon
Denni
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I began this book in 2010?? Sister Nichols challenged me to finish the book sometime in November I think, so off the shelf it came ..again. It was perfect timing; Sadie left in Nov. I got sick in December and then again in January (flu A, flu B, sinus inf.) and didn't feel like doing much for weeks. So, I read...and read and read some more and finally finished it. For me, the footnotes were nearly as valuable as the text. I wonder what it was like to attend the author's lectures? (which lead to ...more
Monica Johnson
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Getting ready to reread this amazing book. It's been 13 years, and I believe I can get more insight during the 2nd reading. Update! I just finished. It took me 18 months to complete, but I took the time to really absorb. It was worth it, Talmage is mind boggling with the amount of knowledge he placed in the pages. This book is one of the best scriptorial resources.
Ami
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. And the brilliance makes up for the incredible denseness of the material.
Maren
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished! Did I learn something? Yes. Was it hard to understand? Yes. Am I glad I read it? Yes. Will I ever read it again? No.
Ruth
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the meatiness of this book. Very satisfying.
Nancy
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
What I most appreciated about this book is how Talmage made the experiences and life of Christ come to life for me through explanations and added descriptions. It is a great testimony of the Savior of the world. I managed to read it in 42 days - one chapter per day - as part of my (version of) Lent observance. While many/most? of the scriptures referenced are included in the text, I am sure that reading all of the scriptures cited while reading the corresponding commentary would be a great pract ...more
Heather Harris
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the New Testament is understandably the foundation for our understanding Christ's life, there is so much that is easily missed without more context of the history and understanding of the culture itself of the time and place. Christ didn't say all that he did with the intent that he was speaking mainly to the people 2000 years later who would read those words in the Bible; He was speaking to the people of that culture and time. I've always loved the teachers at church who have gone into mo ...more
Rachel Nielsen
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped me to become much closer to my Savior. I received my grandpa's copy. It took me over a year to read, reading just a section or two of a chapter each day.
It's a very thorough walk through His life and ministry, starting in the preexistence. The writing is sometimes hard to understand, as Talmage has a large vocabulary and a poetic prose that takes some getting used to. As a LDS member my whole life, I found that I already knew almost all the "stories", but it was interesting
Kimberly
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read "Jesus the Christ" while serving my mission. It's an in-depth look at the life of Jesus Christ, and James E. Talmage uses not only verses from the Bible, but also cultural and historical facts of the time as well as The Book of Mormon. To say this book helped me understand my Savior even more is a huge understatement. I hesitate to say this book changed my life, but it helped my understand Jesus Christ on a more real, personal level. I highly recommend reading all of the footnotes and not ...more
Cam
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: past-5-years
We have been reading this together as a Relief Society this year. We have a celebration coming up in September and I'm glad I was able to finish in time. Even though I took my time reading, I still feel like there are so many things that are hard for me to grasp and remember, but I did learn along the way {just don't quiz me!} Especially loved the notes at the end of each chapter. Reading about his life and ministry is a great way to feel closer to the Savior.
Stephanie
I just finished reading this along with my individual study of the New Testament. It is truly a remarkable experience to study the Savior's life in such depth. The Savior is more real and understood by me with each reading of this book and I look forward to picking it up again in the future. It is well worth the effort!
Jill
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book two times before on my own, and just finished it again; this time reading it aloud with my husband each night. My love for the Savior increases each and every time I read it. This is a book that everyone should read if they have a desire to draw closer to Jesus Christ and develop a deeper, more personal relationship with Him.
Karen Ouska
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This is a detailed explanation of Jesus Christ. It answered many questions I had after reading the Bible. I happened to read Chapter 7, 8 & 9 Christmas eve and Christmas day, these chapters take you through the Mary's conception of Jesus through his birth. I also had great timing to read about the last super, the trial, the death, burial and the resurrection of Christ as we approach Easter.
Kerri
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I made it my goal to read this book during the 2007 year to strengthen my testimony of Christ. I really underestimated how much it would strengthen my testimony, not only of Christ, but of every aspect of his gospel!
Catherine
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds, reference
I loved this book. I read it just before my mission and thought that it was fantastic. It was full of stuff I didn't know or had somehow missed over the years of seminary and institute. Loved it! I've read it again since then, but never with quite the same impact on me.
Meredith
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-reads
Dense and comprehensive, this book will teach you more about Jesus Christ than almost any book you'll read. It conveniently organizes almost everything written about Him, and a lot of what's been said.
Danny
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-religious
This is the source of my testimony of the Savior, my vision of His majesty and the reality of the power of His redemption. It truly is scripture, as much as the New Testament. It is my first source for study and accuracy of individual accounts.
Jared Rindlisbacher
Absolutely amazing. Elder Talmage makes the life of Christ and the Savior himself seem more tangible and real with this wonderfully descriptive work.
  • Lectures on Faith
  • Preach My Gospel: A Guide To Missionary Service
  • A Marvelous Work and a Wonder
  • Our Search for Happiness: An Invitation to Understand the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • Truth Restored
  • The Miracle of Forgiveness
  • Believing Christ: The Parable of the Bicycle and Other Good News
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • The Holy Temple
  • The Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
James Edward Talmage was a member of the Council of the Twelve Apostles, and a resident of Salt Lake City, Utah. He was born Sunday Sept. 21, 1862, at Hungerford, Berkshire, England, the son of James Joyce Talmage and his wife, Susannah Preater. He is the first son and second child in a family of eight. He was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at th ...more
“The world's greatest champion of woman and womanhood is Jesus the Christ.” 28 likes
“Our Lord's descent from the holy heights of the Mount of Transfiguration was more than a physical return from greater to lesser altitudes; it was a passing from sunshine into shadow, from the effulgent glory of heaven to the mists of worldly passions and human unbelief; it was the beginning of His rapid descent into the valley of humiliation.” 7 likes