Start by marking “A New Earth: Create a Better Life” as Want to Read:
A New Earth: Create a Better Life

A New Earth: Create a Better Life

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  119,229 Ratings  ·  6,030 Reviews
A modern manifesto, it calls us to awaken from our ego-based consciousness to a state of being based on Presence, which is nothing other than the absolute source of Being itself.
Published January 1st 2009 by Penguin (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A New Earth, please sign up.

Peter Don't try to conceptually understand what is written. Just read it without any expectation and preconceived ideas. Let your mind be absent when…moreDon't try to conceptually understand what is written. Just read it without any expectation and preconceived ideas. Let your mind be absent when reading. In other words, read without reading. Some words will resonate with your being, and some won't. That's ok. (less)
Erica he states early on in this book if I remember correctly that the entire book is the same message in its core of every true spiritual teaching out…morehe states early on in this book if I remember correctly that the entire book is the same message in its core of every true spiritual teaching out there. he does not go into each specific person because in truth once you know a truth you can speak on it from being and it is the same message as everyone who shares that truth. so it may even be possible that he does not even know some concepts are in fact the same as others. ( much like someone realizing the earth is round from traveling it not feeling the need to give credit to the first person who came upon that knowledge, sort of silly because in truth it is fact that we all know from experiencing it.) i hope this makes sense. on this path i come to realizations express it verbally only to hear the exact same thing from someone else. (less)

Michelle
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay so I had high expectations for this book. Normally I don't really go for Oprah selections but I heard so many great things about it plus I am totally into new agey type things, I thought it would be right up my alley.

My problem with this book was twofold. First, a lot of the ideas weren't new to me. Living in the present (you are not walking across the room to get a book, you are walking across the room), not letting your ego attach itself to things (that is not "my car" or "my house"), etc
Liz
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Liz by: Oprah
Oprahmercial. Well if you can over look that aspect I highly recommend this book. Tolle's penmanship allows difficult philosophical, psychological principles to come together simplified. This book simplifies complex notions of western approaches with an eastern point of view on metaphysics. I think it is a helpful tool for those cynical about the current state of humanity. I also believe it could be a great entry book into Eastern philosophy. He seems to Americanize complex metaphysical approach ...more
Martha
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is so powerful about this book is not that there is much new material here. We’ve all heard about how the ego keeps us chained to our judgements, fears, and desires. The difference is in how the author explains his points. Finally, we understand! Wouldn’t you love it if all the stuff you’ve read about enlightenment suddenly became crystal clear? (I see you all nodding!) This is it.

Throughout the entire book, he reiterates the same points. He does not offer ‘instructions’. Here’s a great exa
Lain
Feb 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I opened this book, hoping to find something inspiring, eye-opening, and life-changing. Instead, it appears to be filled with the same old New Age babble about self-actualization and "each being the part of the one." It's not that I disagree -- it's just that I don't think there's anything particularly new or different. The same old, same old about non-judgment, embracing all things, blah blah blah. Call me crazy, but I think I've read this about 100 times before in every issue of New Age Journa ...more
Madeline
ok, i'm about half way through. first thing i notice is this guy is pretty long-winded. it took him 127 pages to tell me that the ego is the source of all the earths problems. Anything you feel or think or say comes from the ego. and thats a bad thing. we all need to be "enlighted" and gain "awareness" of our "presence."

heres a nice quote from the book: "Enlightened collectives will fulfill an important function in the arising of the new consciousness. Just as egoic collectives pull you into un
Alicia
Jul 27, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in personal/planetary transformation
This book is so amazing, I had to read it slow so I would absorb it all. It moved me to tears many times, so I had to stop a lot! I have not read The Power of Now, but this one really resonated with me and current challenges in personal and planetary transformation. I loved how he snuck in bits from major religions and explained their universal relevance outside the context of their religious context. The personal examples are quite illustrative & help ground the book's meaning.
Laurie
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. It has changed how I look at life.
I read a lot of "self-help", "spiritual insight" books and this is one of the best I have ever read. I just finished it and I want to read it again. His writing is very easy to understand --clear and simple and he shares insights that you can use in your life immediately. IT is chock full of fascinating insights on every page.

Some of my favorite points are:

1. The pain-body--a "psychic parasite" inside of us that feeds on drama and enjoys negati
Brittany
May 13, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Brittany by: Oprah
Shelves: read-again
This book is completely awful. Don't feed in to the Oprah hype. It's abstract and somewhat hard to follow, even for me, a third year law student. Not entertaining at all. There are some tidbits of useful information, but if your mother taught you anything, you probably have already heard the useful parts. There are also a lot of contradictions in Tolle's writing/thought process. Don't go on the message boards on Oprah's website because the people on there are crazy nutjobs and can't provide any ...more
Carrie
Mar 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Self-help seekers
Recommended to Carrie by: Oprah's Book Club
Jenell
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose, Eckhart Tolle simply and beautifully employs spiritual parables from many traditions to distill and illuminate the One truth to which they point: God in me; me in God. Form (the material world) is interpenetrated by nothingness (space, quantum possibilities, consciousness, spirit, God). If so many cultures can agree that we, as form, are permeated with spirit, why do we experience so much separation and suffering?

Tolle states that suffering is c
Change the World 1 18 Sep 22, 2015 02:13AM
  • Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao
  • The Treasure Hunt: A Little Bill Book
  • The Complete Conversations with God 3v: An Uncommon Dialogue
  • Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul: How to Create a New You
  • The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent
  • The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance
  • The Gift of Change: Spiritual Guidance for Living Your Best Life
  • I Need Your Love - Is That True?: How to Stop Seeking Love, Approval, and Appreciation and Start Finding Them Instead
  • The Disappearance of the Universe
  • Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing
  • The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have
  • The Unmistakable Touch of Grace: How to Recognize and Respond to the Spiritual Signposts in Your Life
Eckhart Tolle , born Ulrich Leonard Tolle, February 16, 1948, is a German-born writer, public speaker, and spiritual teacher. The New York Times has called him "the most popular spiritual author in the nation". He is the author of the bestsellers "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth".
Tolle had an unhappy childhood in Germany and Spain. His depression reached its peak during early adulthood in Engla
More about Eckhart Tolle...
“The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” 1390 likes
“Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.” 1135 likes