Start by marking “The Alliance” as Want to Read:
The Alliance

The Alliance

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  3,835 Ratings  ·  578 Reviews
It's 18 years after the end of civilization as we know it. Slowly, ragtag villages of nuclear holocaust survivors are being relocated to a new society known as the Alliance. At first it seems like a dream come true to Eric Lloyd and his family. There is work and safety and food enough to spare. But the trappings of civilization wear thin when Eric learns that the violent h ...more
Published September 1st 1983 by Deseret Book Company (first published 1983)

Linnae
This is my favorite of Lund's--it's an older one, and may be out of print, but it's worth the effort to find it. Growing up, when one of us would start re-reading this book, it would end up getting passed around the entire family. The only time I ever remember my mom staying up late to read, it was this book.

Eric Lloyd and his family have survived a nuclear holocaust, along with several other members of their small village. Then the invaders come--uniformed men in trucks who scoop them all up a
Jan Strong
OK-I am going for 3 1/2. Once I got into this book-I was fascinated by it and was compelled to keep reading to see what new twist Eric, Travis, Nicole and the Major were going to take. This book is based on an interesting idea that after a massive war and chaos, the ruling government resorts to forced compliance, disguised as "freedom". The most interesting thing of all to me ,is that it was written by Gerald Lund in 1983.

I hope we are far away from the 'end' of government as we know it. Still,
Kristy
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really want to love Gerald Lund's writing, but I just don't. This book reads like a clean Vin Diesel movie. The plotline is that predictable and the dialoge falls that flat. I read it because a friend passed it to me and told me I would love it. And then she kept asking me every time I saw her if I had read it or not. There is nothing remotely literary about this book. Nothing magic or compelling other than another dystopian storyline. And it needed a good edit. There are typos (more than I no ...more
Janaleefish
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second time I've read this book. I needed an uplifting overthrow-the big-bad-control-freak-gov't book after reading Mocking Jay. A work less known by Gerald Lund it is definately a glory!! Set in a futuristic post-nuclear WWIII a technology advanced civilization forces survivors to undergo a surgical implantation of a device that uses pain signals to force a person to submit to being good. Sounds great right, a city where there is no bad behavior, except the people incontrol are not implanted an ...more
Kristopher Swinson
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kristopher by: Andralynn Brown
Finally, some fantastic fiction! The development is morally responsible (166, 329), and I certainly appreciated that he didn't even reproduce the only profanity referenced in the book (242). Lund makes it apparent, yet universally palatable, that religion is what makes good guys good (33, 127, 298, for example). Family values are strongly implicit, as well as placed in an appropriate perspective: birthrate's connection with true happiness (67, 86, 104); when aggression is permissible (179); and ...more
Rachel Scoresby
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morals: There is no magic (something that I detest with a passion), there is not rude or crass language, there is a romance but no sexual innuendo, and though there is action it's written well so there is little or no violence.

Style: The main characters are honorable, moral, and worthy of emulation. The villains, though not spine-chilling, are evil and have evil motives. There is a slight imbalance of dialog and action, but that is the only thing that I would have changed.

Value: The book is th
Cooper
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves futuristic utopia type books, and if you are looking for a good clean book this would be a great book to read. I liked this book because the point of view was the one when the author knows everyone's thoughts, actions, and feelings. It was really fun to read because during the book he would switch to different characters. It didn't follow the same character the whole time and I really liked that. One time in the book two o ...more
Kyle
Our one successful office book club book! (The club unofficially ended when I was the only person to finish the book. You'd think library workers would read a lot more, but alas we're in college...) I know Lund from his work in the Work & the Glory series (I've never read them, but they looked imposing on my aunt's bookshelf.) Unfortunately I'm very late on this review, so I can't remember my exact reasons for the 3 stars. The plot dipped into the predictable at times, but I liked the subtle ...more
Trillian
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who appreciate philosophical fiction
Shelves: fiction
"The Alliance" is an engaging read. It has developed characters, vivid scenes, fast pacing and well-crafted backdrops. The story deals with the moral issue of coercion versus freedom. The dialogue can be cloying at times, but then, sappy-sweet characters are refreshing compared to the cliche of cold, embittered characters that typically populate sci-fi books. It's not hard to read and children as young as 11 or so can enjoy it. Plus, it has a cool cover.
Bryson
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE
WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! AND DOUBLE WOW!!! This book is absolutely amazing!!!!!!! Definately one of my all time favorites. It's written by Gerald Lund author of The Work and the Glory. It's great. It's in the future and a community that's chipped in so they can only do perfect things as in no crime, no hatred no ect. or they get shocked. It's overcoming this awful lifestile and gaining free agency. AWESOME BOOK!!!!!!
Jenny
May 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this dystopian book written over 3 decades ago...still great! The topics of freedom, behavior conditioning, and government control are all central in this book. The main character was easily likeable and I was rooting for him the whole time. The last third was very action-packed and exciting and then ended a bit abruptly for me.
Maria
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was excited for this one, but what a clunker. I love sci-fi/end of days books and this one had a great premise. Lund's hokey dialogue and never-ending back and forth between characters finally did me in. I'll read "1984" to get the bad taste of "The Alliance" out of my mouth.
Rachael Andersen
This is personally one of my favorite books. I find this better than any of the controlling government books. Very well written, and a great read if you are wanting to read a book. This book keeps you on edge the whole time.
Kaylee // Ourbookworlds
I overall really enjoyed the book and I'm glad i read it! One of the big problems i had with it though is With distopias you have so much world building and character development and i think trying to cram that all into one book made it a little bit overwhelming.
Erin
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I reread this book for about the 20th time. I love it. It is a super fun read and I would totally recommend it.
Kaydee
I loved this book. One act of courage changes everything!!
Rachel
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually one to jump into science fiction, but this one was really really good!!
Rachel Ray
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is about as good as a book can get, I love it and will read it again and again. its really truly a great book.
Jessica
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was amazing and very cleverly written!
Drew Graham
May 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
First things first, I am blown away by the number of positive, nay, GLOWING reviews of this book on here. Are Mormon readers (or, readers of Mormon fiction) really that easy to impress?... Anyway...

There was some kind of apocalypse. A small group of God-fearing survivors have banded together to create a small farming community in what used to be Star Valley, Wyoming. When armed strangers in high-tech vehicles and flashy blue and orange uniforms arrive unannounced and uninvited to the valley, the
Cathy
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-17
This is the first book that I ever read that I think would actually be classified as a distopian plot. I have fond memories of reading it as a child. It had a bright orange cover and I can't even tell you how many times I read it. Way too many to count! It was my favorite. I was really excited to get to read it again as an adult. I'm pretty sure I liked it as much as an adult as I did as a child.

I like everything about this book. I really like the characters. I like Eric and his village. I like
Aidan Anderson
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The Alliance” By Gerald N. Lund
Book Review #8
329 pages

The Alliance by Gerald N. Lund is extremely well written with many very interesting characters. The characters are different from other books I’ve read mostly because their world is very different then ours. The main character, Eric Lloyd, fights very hard for what he believes in. It takes a lot of courage to be different and stand out, and those are signs of a true hero, which Eric is. Eric believes that freedom is very important, and trie
Amanda
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid dystopian novel. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys F451, 1984, etc. It feels a little dated with the names, pacing, and style, but I've always loved a good Gerald N. Lund read and this was a solid one for sure.
David Slatten
Pretty good book. It took me a bit to get into it but once I did, I was fairly riveted. Interesting plot and believable characters that I grew close to. I wouldn't call it one of Gerald Lund's best books but it was enjoyable nonetheless.
Danielle Davis
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was fantastic! I haven't read it in a while, but definitely one of my favorites
Randee Wells
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of my top 5 favorite books of all time. Kept me intrigued and wanting more. So much integrity and adventure in one story!
Shannon
3.5
Elaine Dransfield
Another dystonia story. Frightening way to obtain controlling power. Take away our right to choose.
ReaderTurnedWriter
This is one of the best dystopian novels I've read. I especially loved the ending. I also loved how big a part family played in it, especially with Eric and his sisters.
Layton
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome book! great writing style and great engaging dystopian book
Sci-fi 1 2 Sep 30, 2015 03:43PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Science Fiction Dystopian??? [s] 8 45 Mar 19, 2015 08:12PM
  • Ben Franklin and the Chamber of Time
  • Charlie's Monument
  • When We Meet Again (Children of the Promise, #4)
  • Hearts in Hiding (Haggerty Mystery, #1)
  • A New Dawn
  • Jayhawk
  • Fury & Light (The Great and Terrible, #4)
  • No Time for Love
207452
Gerald N. Lund received his B.A. and M.S. degrees in sociology from Brigham Young University. He served for thirty-five years in the Church Educational System, and he served as a member of the Second Quorum of the Seventy from 2002 to 2008. He is a prolific and bestselling author of both fiction and nonfiction and is best known for his historical novels, including The Work and the Glory series, Fi ...more
More about Gerald N. Lund...