Start by marking “All You Need Is Kill” as Want to Read:
All You Need Is Kill

All You Need Is Kill

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  17,160 ratings  ·  1,750 reviews
There’s one thing worse than dying. It’s coming back to do it again and again…

When the alien Gitai invade, Keiji Kiriya is just one of many raw recruits shoved into a suit of battle armor and sent out to kill. Keiji dies on the battlefield, only to find himself reborn each morning to fight and die again and again. On the 158th iteration though, he sees something different
Paperback, Original English edition, 201 pages
Published July 21st 2009 by Haikasoru (first published December 18th 2004)

·  17,160 ratings  ·  1,750 reviews

Start your review of All You Need Is Kill
Navessa

"She could walk into any hell and come back unscathed."

Rita. Vrataski. They call her crazy. They call her a badass. They call her a lot of names.

Angel of Death. Mad Wargarita. Full Metal Bitch.

Few know the truth. That she's all of those things. And more. And less. Even fewer know the reason why. Keiji Kiriya is about to join their ranks.

This is the story of two ordinary people forced to do the extraordinary; save the human race from an alien invasion. We meet Keiji, a green Japanese recrui
Alejandro
I knew about this novel due that it's the basis for the incoming movie Edge of Tomorrow and I am truly glad that I was able to read the original Japanese novel before of watching the movie.

The novel itself is something odd in the Japanese literature culture, since it's a prose novel. I say this, since on Japan, the Manga culture is quite spread and even there are mangas for all tastes, genders and ages. And I must say that the topic and story of this novel could fit quite easily in a manga forma
Jokoloyo
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jokoloyo by: apple
I love Groundhog Day movie, especially how the character grew from hopeless person into a great character that proficient using the time loops. so, when I realized the premise in this book is time looping mixed with military SF, I am sold.

When Apple, my GR friend, recommended me this book, I have never heard about Japanese light novel format. (Later I learned that It was basically another name of shorter novel, or novella). So it was an exotic recommendation: a fiction from a Japanese author,
Beverly
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Carmen
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Carmen by: Movie
War is hell.

The Mimics and the humans have been fighting for decades now, with no end in sight. Relentless, innumerable, and nearly unstoppable, the Mimics keep coming in waves. They've turned most of the world into a desert and killed millions of people.

Keiji Kiriya is just a grunt. The woman he loves, a sweet librarian, won't even look him in the eye, and the way things are now the army seems like his only viable option. Training has turned him into a hard-bodied soldier, but when it comes to
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

DNF at 23%

► Because

► And because

Now that's what I call an in-depth review. But that's all you'll get. Because I have no time for this. And because that's how little I care about this story. And I won't even bother rating this. That's how little I care about this story. I said that already, didn't I? Oh well.

Dirk Grobbelaar
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a kid, when I’d first laid eyes on those guns, I thought they were the coolest things I’d ever seen.
The black lacquer finish of their steel instilled an unreasonable sense of confidence in me. Now that I’d seen real battle, I knew with cool certainty that weapons like these could never repel a Mimic attack.

I’ve had my eye on All You Need is Kill for some time now. When I saw that the book is being adapted into a film, I thought that now is as good a time as any to read it. And I’m glad I did,
Ken
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve only recently found out that the 2014 fun action adventure movie ‘Edge of Tomorrow’ was based on this 2004 Japanese Sci-Fi light read.

Young recruit Keiji Kiriya soon discovers that he’s caught in a time loop against the alien ‘Mimics’, after each death he awakes on the eve of battle and attempts to progress future with the knowledge he’s previously learnt from the last loop.

It’s been so long since I’d watched the Cruise movie adaptation, but I felt that even though the basic premise was sim
Haralambi Markov
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I had a very hard time starting this review. There is much to say and reflect upon, yet “All You Need is Kill” is unlike most novels the American and the European audience has had experience with. Prose, length, storytelling, characterization, internals and general take on the genre; all these elements create unfamiliar alien scenery, which needs discovering and an adventurous spirit to experiment with the unknown.

Science fiction is as wide as the universe it explores, virtually endless and whil
seak
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
For some reason this Tom Cruise movie was a blockbuster bust, but it was because of the excellent movie that I wanted to delve into this concept a bit more. After picking up the book, it's clear almost immediately that the film whitewashed the book and that destroys one of the very simple yet profound themes of this book, which I'll get to in a sec.

Keiji Kiriya is a simple Japanese soldier who finds himself in a time loop, experiencing the same couple days and deaths over and over only to wake u
Aishu Rehman
This book is a great read. I watched the movie, "Edge of Tomorrow" first, so read this book with that perspective.

I have to say, the book is fast paced, introspective, and very in the moment. I felt that I could understand the feelings of the characters much better through this novel than I could through the movie.

Whereas the movie focused on the war, the book focused on the individuals and how they dealt with their situation. The movie was a singular event, the book was a continuum of events.
Jonathan Terrington
"That's the thing with books. Half the time the author doesn't know what the hell he's writing about - especially not those war novelists."

All You Need Is Kill is a military science fiction novel by Hiroshi Sakurazaka and which follows the tradition of western science fiction works such as The Forever War by Joe Halderman. However, All You Need Is Kill has its own blend of adrenaline and fury that works to convey the themes of the novel wonderfully, even as a translation. That is the mark o
Terence
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
So what do you get when you mix Groundhog Day, a war manga, and Tony Stark's suit of armor he made in a cave? You get All You Need Is Kill. Keiji Kiriya is stuck in a loop fighting aliens to the death...well to his death. Keiji has died during each of his 158 tries to get out of the loop. Bill Murray's character in Groundhog Day had it way easier than Keiji Kiriya.

For me All You Need Is Kill is a book with an interesting concept that falls short once Rita Vrataski gets her own point of view. I d
Vanessa J.
War. Terrible war. Humans vs a race of aliens called Mimics. It's been going on for years now and it seems to go forever - with the odds for humanity growing slimmer with each day that passes. This is the world in which Keiji Kiriya, a Japanese recruit, lives.

Today is gonna be his first battle, and to make him feel even worse, he gets injured.

I'm gonna die on a fucking battlefield. On some godforsaken island with no friends, no family, no girlfriend. In pain, in fear, covered in my own shit b
Allison Hurd
Perhaps I'm doing a bit of the heavy lifting here, but I thought this was a searing, sardonic look at the atrocity of war and the horror of PTSD. Also there were mech suits, kaiju aliens, and battle glaives!

CONTENT WARNING: (no actual spoilers, just a list of topics) (view spoiler)

Things to love:

-The tone. This translation was excellent. It read seamlessly, and got a lot of humor and sarcasm in the
Anthony
It’s 2.5 stars rounded down for its ridiculously rushed and unsatisfying last third. Until then, I was mostly along for the ride, willing to forgive its casual sexism and shallow approach to the anxieties of soldiers who face their own imminent demise, because I hoped that Sakurazaka was playing a long game, that he would peel back the layers and reveal a beating heart underneath all the artifice. But no, that didn’t happen. Very disappointing.
Kim
Wow what a rush this book is. From start to finish this book is non-stop. In a world slowly being overrun by monstrous creatures known as Mimics the United Defense Force fights back. This is Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers with a touch of Mechwarrior.

Keiji Kiriya is new recruit about to enter his first battle only to get killed. Then wake up the previous day. And so the cycle goes and over "time" Keiji learns more about the enemy and how to fight it, especially by watching the world's gre
Tamahome
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
20.0% "Groundhog day mixed with Starship Troopers. Enjoying it more than I thought I would. I like the Full Metal Bitch. She's not what you think."
65.0% "Getting a little restless with Full Metal B*tch's backstory. I'm so ADD."
83.0% "They're drinking coffee."

It's ok. I was more enamored with the beginning than anything else. It'll be interesting to see how the Tom Cruise movie works out. Not hard sf. Only 200 pages though, which is good for me. I think the illustrations are missing, judging b
YouKneeK
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All You Need is Kill is a standalone science fiction novel originally published in Japan. It’s very short and fast-paced, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. It made a great change of pace from the past several books I’ve read.

This is a Groundhog Day type of story, only with war instead of romance. (For those whose ignorance of popular movies rivals my own, I mean to say that this is a time loop type story.) Also, unlike Groundhog Day, it actually explains the cause of the time loop and manages to do
MrsJoseph *grouchy*

I decided to read All You Need Is Kill after I watched Edge of Tomorrow starring Tom Cruise. I really enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow and wanted to see what the source material was like.

Well, they changed A LOT. I know they always do but the changes are pretty interesting and unnecessary. The title character - Tom Cruise - could have stayed the same recruit instead of becoming an officer. I rather enjoyed Keiji Kiriya as a character. The narration was rather
☣Lynn☣
Another update:

Raising it up to 4 stars again. I've been thinking about this book and the movie nonstop.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll be honest when I say I like the movie better. It's action packed, but the heavy military writing drove me nuts. And I'm not a fan of ending.....

Rita was awesome in this though. She's one bad ass chick. You don't wanna piss her off.

She's seriously one of my top favorite fictional female character.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just saw Edge of Tomorrow and I NEED this bo
Bradley
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Since both the manga and the novel came out at almost the same time, and they're practically identical in every detail, I have to assume that it was only a publishing decision to release the manga (in Japan) several months before the prose. Not surprising, really, since most major fiction in Japan is manga.

Being an obsessive anglophile and a fan of the tale in all its incarnations, I wanted to nitpick any plot differences between the movie, manga, and novel. I didn't mind in the slightest that
Paul
Nov 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
“He died in battle . He was reborn in victory“.

In the film Groundhog Day, Bill Murray repeatedly wakes up and re-lives the same 24hrs over and over again. Each time the cycle repeats, he learns another valuable lesson about his life. All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurakzaka has a similar premise but instead of being set in Punxsutawney it is set on the muddy battlefields of Japan in the midst of a future war.

Alien creatures called Mimics have landed and are attempting to invade Earth. Slowly
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
It's over so fast, I almost flipped back a few pages to see if I had missed a chapter.

But no, I hadn't missed anything. All You Need Is Kill sits you down, straps you in, and ignites a rocket strapped to your chair, and before you know it, you've finished, breathless and heart-stopping, palms sweaty and clammy.

All You Need Is Kill is the novel on which the forthcoming movie Edge of Tomorrow is based. With a cover that looks more like it belongs on the front of an anime-style graphic novel (in w
Damon
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This was far better than I expected it to be. It is both a modern Kraken Wakes story with a small premise twist, as well as a problem-solution driven tale. I read the whole book yesterday afternoon. I almost didn't read it after the first chapter, but am glad I did.
Silvana
Better than the movie, obviously, because it has a back story on how the mimics came and the Hollywood version is more vanilla yet emotionally exhausting at times. A quick and enjoyable read, nothing too complicated like alpha omega blood transfusion and whatnots. Recommended for those who likes (military) scifi. Now I want to read more from this author.
Lesley
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is not a book that I would have picked up for myself based on the blurb, but it ended up being a pleasant surprise: fast-paced, interesting characters, inventive storyline, a different take on the Groundhog Day set up. I did find myself zoning out amid all the battle scene descriptions, but the characters, particularly Rita, did enough to drive the story forward to keep my interest.
Mareike
Jul 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I almost did not finish this.
This book didn't do anything new or interesting with the (scifi) war novel or the time loop narrative. And the gender dynamics and especially that ending did nothing to improve my opinion.
Mike (the Paladin)
I finished this several days go and am just now getting around to reviewing it. I think I was expecting a little more from it (probably based on the hype and hoopla of late).

There is some good action here. Be ready for the obligatory environmental guilt that became....well obligatory....a while back. It's here. Also the basic threat is tied into this theme.

There is also a lot of (and yes I've used this phrase before and so have a lot of people) "been there, done that, got the T-shirt". The time
Toby
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, translation
All You Need is Kill is a very cool title but as it turns out it makes as little sense as Edge of Tomorrow in relation to the content of the novel. Or film.

A thoroughly enjoyable sci-fi actioner that shares more than it's quota of similarities to Heinlein's Starship Troopers (the book people, not the movie) as a green cadet learns to become a dedicated killing machine of alien beings. Only with a fun computer game style reboot time travel gimmick. Killer Cage is a fun creation and his growth is
Alternate Realiti...: Edge of Tomorrow 2 9 Sep 14, 2019 03:47AM
The Ink to Film B...: All You Need is Kill / Edge of Tomorrow 2 6 Sep 20, 2018 10:50AM
Japanese Novel an...: All You Need is Kill Group Read 39 37 Oct 29, 2017 09:13PM
Science Fiction A...: * All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka 15 25 Jun 16, 2017 05:58PM
Alternate Realiti...: all you need is kill 1 7 Jan 20, 2017 09:40AM

• All You Need Is Kill
  • The Threat Below (Brathius History, #1)
  • Seeking Justice (Gateway to Chaos #3)
  • Unparalleled
  • Temper (Red Mage #2)
  • Elysium
  • Archangel One (Archangel One, #1)
  • Forest of Desire (The Alchemist Book #2)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Welcome to the N.H.K.
  • Edge of Darkness (Edge of Collapse #3)
  • Yukikaze (Yukikaze, #1)
  • One True King (The School for Good and Evil: The Camelot Years, #3)
  • Mavericks (Expeditionary Force, #6)
  • 月光
  • Warchild (Warchild, #1)
  • The Poison Jungle (Wings of Fire, #13)
Kanji Name: 桜坂洋

Sakurazaka made his debut in 2002 at the second Super Dash Novel Rookie of the Year Award with the novel Mahō tsukai no netto, which was later published in December 2003 under the name Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō. This work has subsequently been expanded into a series of light novels and has also been made into an anime. In 2004 he was presented the S-F Magazine Readers Award's best sho

Articles featuring this book

If you want to know the future, get a crystal ball. If you want to know how people feel about the future, read a science fiction...
“Good ideas don’t stand a chance against good bureaucracy.” 41 likes
“There is what we desire to do, and what we are able to do. When those two things don’t coincide, which path should we pursue to find happiness?” 26 likes