Start by marking “始於寧謐處 - 默想基督徒生命” as Want to Read:
始於寧謐處 - 默想基督徒生命

始於寧謐處 - 默想基督徒生命

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  936 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
The careful balance between silence and words, withdrawal and involvement, distance and closeness, solitude and community forms the basis of the Christian life and, according to Nouwen, should therefore be the subject of our most personal attention.
Published January 1993 by 基道書樓 (first published November 30th 1973)

To ask other readers questions about 始於寧謐處 - 默想基督徒生命, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 始於寧謐處 - 默想基督徒生命

Leah
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had an exceptional year when it comes to reading some really great books. This is another one to add to that list. Henry Nouwen is quickly becoming one of my favorite spiritual authors. He was a professor of Divinity at Yale, and yet somehow manages to say the most profound things using simple phrases that pull on the heart-strongs and make you go, "Yes, I've felt that way too!" This book talks about the importance of solitude, care, and expectation. He talks about how Jesus often withdre ...more
7jane
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This is such a slim, small book, yet it has depths of the deepest ocean within. First appering as sermons given at an university, its filled with sentences that strike you, in a good way.

The main point is about seeking solitude daily to get closer to God and becoming a better person. The writing is in three chapters, each with a theme: solitude + action (solitude is needed for our soul not to get lost in pursuits of life); care (being there), not just cure; and on hopeful expectation for things
Stephanie
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books to give as a gift. Great comfort and direction about how to understand your work--and it's place in your life. He works through the need for and joys of solitude. Then he explains the richness that a heart shaped by solitude brings to the community. He always ends with community.

If you've read Nouwen, you'll find that his style in Out of Solitude is different from other works. I don't know the reason for this. But he uses words a small child would understand--I
Lauren
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not finished yet, so can't say 5 stars, but it's on it's way! A couple favorite passages:

(From Thomas Merton's forward)
"The compulsion to cure is like action without a deep and silent center. We want to overcome problems and adversities and want to change at all costs. An alternative is to care for ourselves, each other, and our world. We wouldn't need change and cure if we were in a constant caring mode."

From the first section
"Somewhere we know that without a lonely place our lives are in dange
Sue
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, read-2009
A short book, but thought-provoking. It's three meditations that were originally given as sermons. They are short and simple, but at the same time profound. I re-read two of them as soon as I had finished, so as to take them in better.

The first one talks about the need for withdrawing to be alone with God; the second about the need for care - for empathy, and suffering alongside people - in a society that's more concerned with cure. The third is about living in expectation of better things, and
Robert Clay
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nouwen packs a lot of simple, yet no less profound, wisdom into these three short meditations. Each is drawn from a Gospel lesson, with the interconnected focus of solitude, care, and expectation.
An excerpt:
'This is the great conversion in our life: to recognize and believe that the many unexpected events are not just disturbing interruptions of our projects, but the way in which God molds our hearts and prepares us for His return.'
Ian
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nouwen reflects on the importance of solitude in achieving balance in our daily walk. Time spent alone with God allows us to become more aware of His purposes and equips us to let go of the world's.

This short but weighty set of three messages require time to percolate as there is much to contemplate.

Highly recommended.
Joseph
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of Solitude reads like a manual in advanced prayer - prompting more questions about one's self than it answers. The book contains three meditations on solitude, caring, and expectation. Each are scripturally-based and supported, giving the reader a firm foundation on which to assess their lives and discern the direction they wish to follow in light of these revelations.
Karen L.
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this short book very refreshing. I want to read more Henri Nouwen. His style is very personal. He writes humbly and honestly out of his own struggles. I like how each section opens with a gospel passage emphasizing Christ's quiet times of solitude with his Father.
Kyna
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful tool for the comtemplative practice. I read it before bed and spend time in silence with God. Not a lot of words in this book, mostly a thought provoking ushering into moments of solitude.
Liz
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read by Henri Nouwen. Love this author. He is one of those teachers that teaches from the heart of one who has "been there".
Emily
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most Nouwen I've read, this was really rich. I wrote down a lot of quotes from a small book.
Lisa
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Inspiring and helpful, especially the first section on where we find our worth.

"...the erroneous conclusion that life is one large scoreboard... and before we are fully aware of it, we have sold our soul to the many grade-givers. That means we are not only in the world, but also of the world. Then we become what the world makes us. We are intelligent because someone gives us a high grade. We are helpful because someone says thanks. We are likable because someone likes us, etc""

I liked this bit o
Rob McMonigal
A set of three short meditations based on sermons given by the author.

As I continue to explore a renewed relationship with Christ, I look for ways to learn about the experiences and advice of others. However, I admit that I have an angle to my own faith, and that's that we are here to ensure we help each other actively. So the idea of "care not cure" which is a central theme, clashed for me. It reminded me too much of "thoughts and prayers" when action could actually limit gun violence. There's
Daniel
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has become my go-to when I need to calm my mind at work. I'm in a helping profession, and it can be overwhelming. When it is, I take a break to read one meditation, and no matter how many times I've read them through before I find some new solace. Spiritual writings are hard to review, as spirituality and what speaks to someone's inner life can be so varied. However, I feel confident saying that even if Henri Nouwen isn't your cup of tea, you will appreciate the way he writes about Jes ...more
Alex Parrish
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nouwen
Really short but really worth it. A brief stream of consciousness which demonstrates how time in a "lonely place" brings us back to a place where we genuinely care for others and experience fuller life ourselves.
Nick
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nouwen weaves together the themes of action, solitude, care, community, and expectation together in these three meditations; perfect, I think, for caregivers.
Marlies
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book.
Nichole Martini
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-growth
Brilliant! I have grown from everything I have read that Henri Nouwen has written.
Porter Sprigg
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Jesus sought solitude. If we are to pursue his example, so should we. It will inform us and fill us with his love and security.
Jonathan
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Packs a punch

The three meditations are short, but incredibly dense and powerful. While it's easy to skim (as I did), the content is so rich that you should take time to reflect and process the meditations in earnest.
Jon Stout
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the caring and the curious
Recommended to Jon by: Candace Sandfort
Shelves: religion
These meditations, used in a Lenten Study, serve to orient one spiritually and have some kinship with Buddhist meditation practices. I find Nouwen to be very down-to-earth and concrete in talking about spiritual life.

The first meditation emphasizes the need for solitude, for withdrawing from the crowd from time to time to find one’s own personal center and to experience the world without the background noise of the marketplace, either inside or outside of one’s own head.

The second meditation emp
Karen
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mother slipped her browny-orange copy from '77 into my bag before she left, her name in cursive inside the front cover, pumpkin-round and unslanted. Solitude, suffering, vocation, creativity, caring, community, joy, bread, wine. This is the Christianity and Nouwen is the type of christian I remember growing up with. Basically where all my values came from, although I no longer have faith. I read it out of duty and nostalgia, but found so much is relevant to my current reflections, because the ...more
Mad Russian the Traveller
This was light but profound, and it's as if the author had read Bonhoeffer's "Life Together" because there were some places where the words were eerily parallel. This will be re-read again as there is so much to mine that I might as well post the entire contents. The author uses the biblical dialectic like Bonhoeffer does in the above referenced work. Here is an example from the Introduction:

"I want to reflect on this lonely place in our lives. Somewhere we know that without a lonely place our l
Glen
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book on the recommendation of a friend and was not disappointed. It is brief and in the spirit of Nouwen's mystical writings. The book is essentially looking at how we can live meaningful lives as believers in a broken world. It focuses on three key aspects of Christian spirituality: solitude that detaches us from results-based identity, care that connects us genuinely with the hurting and expectation that gives us joy to press on despite the pain knowing that our healer is comi ...more
Ange
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Somewhere we know that without a lonely place our lives are in danger. Somewhere we know that without silence our words lose their meaning, that without listening speaking no longer heals, that without distance closeness cannot cure."

"It is in this solitude that we discover than being is more important than having, and that we are worth more than the result of our efforts."

These are just a few of the many wise words Henri Nouwen relays to his readers in this tiny, thin little book. It's a book
Mark Thomas
This small work is actually three sermons by Nouwen . The three themes are "Out of Solitude", "With Care" and "In Expectation" and mirror the life of Jesus. In solitude he came to understand and live in the fulness of his mission. He gained strength, clarity, focus and peace in his solitude.

His solitude led him out into the world with a purpose to care for people, individually and collectively. Ultimately his mission was to point toward the expectation of his mission and fulfillment of the work
Marty
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb!

As its title suggests, Nouwen explores how solitude precedes community, silence comes before meaningful words, and empathy opens the door for compassion. Of huge import, he writes, "The friend who cares makes it clear that whatever happens in the external world, being present to each other is what really matters." (p. 39). In terms of doing our own spiritual work, Nouwen reminds us how reframing our circumstances can be key in providing a curative salve for ourselves and for the people wh
Raul
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of Solitude is one of the shortest books I have read but also one of the most impacting and thought-provoking reads in my life. The simplicity and depth of Nouwen's musings are like water that slowly corrodes the stone heart. This book has stirred me to take time in solitude with my Father in heaven, to care more for others, and to patiently wait for my Lord's return! I definitely recommend this book to anybody seeking a more profound walk with Jesus.
Lisa N
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple prose; comforting and very insightful.

Profound thoughts on introspection , balance, and true compassion.

“Our greatest temptations are boredom and bitterness.”

“The paradox of expectation indeed is that those who believe in tomorrow can better live today, that those who expect joy to come out of sadness can discover the beginnings of a new life in the center of the old, that those who look forward to the returning Lord can discover him already in their midst.”
  • Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith
  • Wondrous Encounters: Scripture for Lent
  • To Love as God Loves
  • Surrender to Love: Discovering the Heart of Christian Spirituality
  • Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition
  • Everyday Apocalypse: The Sacred Revealed in Radiohead, the Simpsons, and Other Pop Culture Icons
  • Music of Silence: A Sacred Journey Through the Hours of the Day
  • Telling Secrets
  • We Drink from Our Own Wells: The Spiritual Journey of a People
  • Invitation to Love: The Way of Christian Contemplation
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of
More about Henri J.M. Nouwen

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Loudest Voice in the Room: How Roger Ailes and Fox News Remade American Politics
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Art of Power
  • Through My Eyes
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • An American Childhood
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Making Toast
  • Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN
    $11.99 $2.99
“When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.” 13299 likes
“When we start being too impressed by the results of our work, we slowly come to the erroneous conviction that life is one large scoreboard where someone is listing the points to measure our worth. And before we are fully aware of it, we have sold our soul to the many grade-givers. That means we are not only in the world, but also of the world. Then we become what the world makes us. We are intelligent because someone gives us a high grade. We are helpful because someone says thanks. We are likable because someone likes us. And we are important because someone considers us indispensable. In short, we are worthwhile because we have successes. And the more we allow our accomplishments — the results of our actions — to become the criteria of our self-esteem, the more we are going to walk on our mental and spiritual toes, never sure if we will be able to live up to the expectations which we created by our last successes. In many people’s lives, there is a nearly diabolic chain in which their anxieties grow according to their successes. This dark power has driven many of the greatest artists into self-destruction.” 41 likes